Sign-up Today!

Road to Health

Thursday, July 31st, 2014

Read Hebrews 5:11-14

View the July-August, 2014 Issue

Everyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is unskilled in the word of righteousness.

- Hebrews 5:13 (NRSV)

A mother brought her rather thin child to our clinic. She had weaned him at one year of age. I asked her what she was feeding him now. She said, “Tea without milk and cornmeal porridge.” I asked to see the child’s “Road to Health Chart,” a medical chart that includes a very useful graph indicating how the child is gaining weight over time in comparison with the 50th percentile for all children of that age. This child had stopped gaining weight and was heading for malnutrition, a most serious condition. I explained to his mother what to feed him, emphasizing foods high in protein to supplement the carbohydrates in his diet. In Hebrews we read of Christians who were suffering from spiritual malnutrition and therefore had stopped growing. This too is a serious condition. Christian spiritual growth is aimed at ultimately attaining the likeness of our Savior. Our nourishment comes from studying God’s word and daily prayer contact with Jesus, who described himself as the bread of life. Jesus promised that those who come to him and believe in him would never go spiritually hungry or thirsty. (See John 6:35.)

John McCutcheon (Limpopo, South Africa)

Are we gaining weight on the “spiritual health” chart?

Prayer focusMalnourished children

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, John, for your devotional this morning. How sad it is that today, with all the study aids available, there are so many Christians who are spiritually malnourished. I have known people who have been Christians for years, go to church every week, but still barely know the basics from the Bible. This is unfortunate. I pray for a great revival, and a hunger and thirst for the Lord and His Word.
EDD - I am praying for your mother-in-law, who was admitted to the hospital Tuesday evening with back pains and high blood pressure. I pray that the Lord will bring her healing, and that her bp will get stabilized. I pray that the doctors will know the cause of the back pain, and the Lord brings relief to the pain. I am also praying for your infant grandson, Zeke, that he had a good check-up yesterday, and that the Lord brings healing from the jaundice. * JK - I am praying for your friend, John, that the Lord will bring a miracle of healing to him from the lung cancer he suffers with, and the brain tumors or lesions he has. I am also praying for your nephew, as he is going through a difficult divorce. I pray that the Lord will give him peace throughout this time. And I pray that He will give him wisdom and leading to know exactly what to do and which way to turn. I am also praying for his two young sons, that the Lord will hold them both close to Himself throughout this time.
KATHY of Reading - I pray that you had a nice and safe time at the amusement park yesterday. I’m praying that the rest of your week with your grandchildren will be blessed, and that the Lord will supply all of your needs for them. * STUART of Gulfport, MS - I am praying for your stepson, Jack Hanson, and the other young people who are on a medical missions trip to Africa, north of Kenya. I pray that the Lord will watch over them and give them safety in travel, both to Africa, and while they are there. I pray that He will protect them all from harm, and keep them all in good health. I pray that He will put a hedge of protection around them, and that He will bless their work for Him there.
HEIDI of Woodstock, IL. - I am praising the Lord with you that your daughter started her job yesterday. I pray that the Lord blesses her at this new position, and that she will have good success. I pray that He will also bring her healing from the colitis and anemia she suffers with. * DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I continue to join you in prayer for the medical workers in West Africa who have contracted the Ebola virus, which has no cure. I pray that the Lord will bring about a miracle for them, and that they will be healed of this deadly disease. I pray for those who work in medical research, that the Lord gives them His wisdom, and that a cure can be found.
WILLIS of Jackson, TN - I am praising the Lord with you that the portal vein thrombosis in your liver has decreased. I pray that He will bring you healing from the problems with your stomach, and the back pain. I pray for wisdom for your doctors, that they will discover what is causing this, and will be able to effectively treat this. * SANDY of Waupaca, WI - I am praising the Lord with you that you returned home safely from your vacation, and that you had a blessed time visiting your family in North Carolina.
CHERIE of Inverness, NC - I am lifting you and your husband, Ron, in prayer, that the Lord will bring him complete healing from the multitude of medical concerns he has. I pray that He will lead you to a good doctor who, both knows, and is willing to take Ron’s case. I pray that this lump beside the spinal scar is nothing serious, and that it will go away. I pray that the calcitonin that he has been taking is not doing any harm, and that the doctors will be monitoring this carefully. I’m praying that the Lord will give you both peace, and uphold you throughout this ordeal you have been going through. * JULIE of Delray Beach, FL - I am praising the Lord that the tests came back normal from your husband, Bill’s ER visit Tuesday evening. I pray that the Lord will bring him complete healing. I pray that He will lead you to a very good cardiologist for Bill to follow up with. I also pray that your son, Jon’s test yesterday for his criminal justice class went well, and that he will get very good marks on it. I am praying for your pastor, Parker, and his wife, Ann, as they travel down to Brazil on a mission trip. I pray that the Lord will watch over them and keep them safe and well as they help build a school.
SIMONE of Dania, FL - I am praying that the Lord will give you strength and blessing as you and your daughter, Robin, move into your new apartment. I am also praying that He will provide you with a good and decent-paying job, and provide for all your needs in the meantime. I pray that He will give you guidance and leading as to whether to stay in Florida, move back to DC, or where He wants you. * CLAYTON of Richmond, CA - That is a very difficult decision you are facing, and I wouldn’t know what I’d do. I am praying that the Lord will give you wisdom, guidance and leading to make the best decision.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:28AM CDT

John, thank you for your interesting devotional, "Road to Health." I'm reminded of the importance of daily Bible study. Reading and meditating on God's Word helps keep us in good spiritual health. But most important is our actions reflecting God's love?
Sarah...good morning. Thank you for your faithful prayers. For keeping us informed of the prayer concerns
Of the UR family.
I'm up with back pain. I worked in our church's clothes closet. We had a family whose home burned.
Thankfully we could help them.
"Father, thank you your many blessings. Be with the family who lost their home.…amen"

Posted July 31, 2014 at 01:39AM CDT

Good morning Sarah, Merry, John and all others who will visit the cyber chapel today. John I agree we are malnourished (or can be) as Christians as well as humans. As Merry stated you have reminded us of the importance of immersion in the Word. I love your prayer : "Loving God, give us a new hunger for your word. Help us to be faithful in prayer and petition with thanksgiving. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen." It says it all! Be blessed folks. Lots of food prep "experimentation" for the family event this weekend. Now to decide on the particulars! Merry I pray relief from your back pain and for the family you provided assistance to as well.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 03:28AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! Thank you, John, for this fitting reminder. As many distractions and responsibilities claim our time, the first things to get squeezed out are physical and spiritual exercise. That's why it's so important to use our time wisely, just as it's important to choose healthy food choices and eat those first, before we get filled up (although I'm not one whom should preach on this subject, having had potato chips for supper last night) !
OK, on to better choices today! Thanks for the awareness!
Blessings on all today!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:24AM CDT

Up early, coughing, sore swollen throat, slight temp. Will try to see Dr today since we are just one week away from our trip. Hate spend the money if it is just allergies, but with the trip coming, I think I better
see the Dr.
Prayers for all of you and for your loved ones and friends. Kairos, and other ministries. All those needing good jobs, my son included.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:29AM CDT
Comment by Francis of Hideaway, TX

Blessed rain in East Texas this morning. Our dog Saint doesn't like thunder and is cowering under the bed. Prayers for wisdom and clear thought as I seek where The Lord wants me in ministry. I have many talents related to construction and repair.

Our nation and it's leaders have lost their way. Please pray for righteousness and wisdom.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:44AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you John for your devotional.. I have a friend when asked" why dont you bring a bible to church, their response was" His bible( meaning the pastor) isnt the same as mine. My pastor informed us that he preaches from either the NLT or NKJ... I made myself familiar with both..Personally If I can" read what passes for news these days and " don't get me on a" tangent" about the magazine rack at the supermart"..As I sit here and think about it, the next time , I speak to my 2 daughters about" going to Barnes& Noble, I can show them my 2 bibles praying it will" peek their interest"..Asking for prayer for my pastor's mother& father in law.They were involved in a accident turning into the church parking lot from the main street. I spoke to them both last night after bible study. Also my next door neighbor was readmitted to the hospital yesterday.I believe it was something to do with the cancer in her throat and she is a heavy smoker.. God" after 25 years " didn't offer me a patch, any classes or"hypnotism'or" called me " a butt head" to stop smoking and, " I didnt smack him on the back when my sense of taste and smell got better..(Man that sounds like one of those "Schoolhouse Rock Cartoons, "Interjection, ALELUIA, ALELUIA,HALLEUJAH, That's the end.. I digress.. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day...

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:44AM CDT

John, thank you for this devotion, and for your long and loving service the people in Africa; particularly the children. I appreciated your oversight on the weight of the children, and maintenance of their weight charts, was not just about their growth, but also in many cases their battle with aides. I was pleased by your report in the Blog of the survival, in both children and adults with aids, given proper medication. This is such a special ministry!
How we measure our Spiritual growth is obviously more subjective, but no less important. Sadly, in a country so bright and affluent as ours, we are neglecting our spiritual growth well into malnutrition, almost without notice. More sadly, if this were to be brought to our attention, how many would care?

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:48AM CDT

Sarah, I too long for a revival, but just as peace on Earth begins with us, so does the battle with Spiritual malnutrition. I often need to be reminded of the balance in my attention to the Lord in the areas of prayer, Bible study and Christian action. It's a problem that sneaks up on us.
After very many hours chatting with people who wasted our time, we finally got our printer to talk with the router, and are in business. The person who helped, look into an area of the problem no one had considered and I was in awe of the solution. Carol is now excited that we will have a connection with people who are dedicated to the health of our little network, beginning with the optimization of her computer to recover some kind of operational speed. I consider all this provision from God (part of growth in my Spiritual health).

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:56AM CDT
Comment by Stuart of Gulfport, MS

AMEN and AMEN for all of y'all..............................................................

Posted July 31, 2014 at 05:57AM CDT
Comment by Lily of Palmyra, NJ

G'morning everyone. Thank you John for today's scripture. Paul said in 2 Tim 2:15 if we want to be wise , if we want to correctly handle the word of truth we must be workmen. I've come to realize just how important Bible study is. We need to digest it , meditate on it & memorize it, understand it. I pray we all grow up in God's Word. Prayers for all requests. ♡

Posted July 31, 2014 at 06:01AM CDT

John, thank you for your devotional today. Like JK, I love your prayer for the day, "Loving God, give us a NEW HUNGER for Your Word. Help us to be faithful in prayer and petition with thanksgiving. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen. We need a new hunger for getting His Word into our hearts and minds, into the core of our spirit because we may not always have the scripture in written form readily available, and scripture teaches us that what is in the heart is what comes out of the mouth. If His Word is in our hearts, and we are steeped in His LOVE, then what comes out of our mouth will be words of LOVE and wisdom, knowledge, understanding of the spiritual sort, to help us live these spiritual lives in this increasingly violent physical world. Only in Him can we succeed. "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." Author and Composer --Helen H. Lemmel, 1864-1961.
We are SUCH a blessed people to know The Provider, Yahweh Yireh, Who 'feeds' us both spiritually and physically.
We are SUCH a blessed people to be living in SUCH A TIME AS THIS, and to KNOW Him and to make Him known.
We are SUCH a blessed people to have each other to grow spiritually healthy with, in the encouragement we proved each other through our praises, prayers and comments for each other.
Cyber hugs for each one who enters this chapel. Receive your blessings and know YOU are LOVED WITH AN EVERLASTING LOVE! Hallelujah!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 06:12AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Good morning, thank you John for your devotional today.
Many blessings and prayer for all that visit the prayer chapel. As I nourish myself every morning with Gods word, the day seam to be much brighter.
Have a blessed day everyone.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 06:28AM CDT
Comment by Dawn of Rogers, AR

John, thank you for your devotion. God has recently given me a new hunger for his word or I woke up and realized that I needed to be reading God's word to be closer to God. Prayers for all the written and unspoken prayer requests. Please pray for my 93 year old mother who is struggling to continue to live independently. Blessing everyone!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 06:46AM CDT

Good morning my friends. John, welcome to the UR family and thank you for your devotional contribution. The idea that we in this world can become spiritually malnourished is not a surprise to me. When we fix our eyes on physical gains, which we have done, and exclude spiritual gains, that is exactly what happens. Praise the Lord for the rain that we received yesterday as it was and is sorely needed. We may get some more of it today. Sarah, once again I thank you for informing us of the needs of others and also for your prayers for all of us. Also prayers for of the needs, mentioned or unmentioned, on this page. May we all count our blessings today and thank God for those blessings. Let us all help each other in any and every way that we can. Praise the Lord!!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 06:55AM CDT

Good morning all a great day ahead. Sarah thanks, your prayers worked MIL has infection they can easily treat and the jaundice is clearing up in Zeke. John, thanks for the scripture and your devotional that reminds us that learning never stops. Praying all of the UR Family has a day filled with joy, love and healing by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:09AM CDT
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Good morning dear UR family! Thank you, John, for your service and for the reminder of this verse. What we choose for spiritual food is vital to our growth, and our Bible is a banquet that the Lord has provided for us. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to witness to a young woman who is struggling and angry at God. I was wishing I had more scripture at my fingertips but I talked about how it was not unusual to have many feelings towards God when we are in relationship with Him. I assured her He was able to hear them all, even anger. She seemed relieved that she could still have relationship with God having been angry at Him. She may be needing more of the "infant food" and I certainly can use more of the mature food from scripture. Dear Lord, help us to retain scriptures to use when we have opportunities to witness to others, and give us the hunger for them. Amen ========Today the first consigner comes to evaluate the "stuff" we have to sell, and Monday the other comes. When I got home from work yesterday, Mom had already been out in the garage again and started picking up things to put in her room(which has no storage left). Please pray that she will get her resolve back to let go of stuff so our lives will be uncluttered and simpler, Blessings to all today!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:20AM CDT
Comment by Laura

John - thank you for your devotional! What a beautiful scripture!
Blessings!!!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:21AM CDT

Good Morning Ur family and John thank you for the devotional.The more I get into the word the more I see how so many hungry people in need of God's word. Praying that they will open their hearts to accept the Lord..
Praise the Lord We found a great cardiologist for my husband .He goes to see him onAug.28th. I praying he stays well with no other problems until then.
Raynard -Praying for healing for your pastor's mom and dad.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not. Have a great day UR family.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:22AM CDT
Comment by Duane of Pomaria, SC

John McCutcheon (Limpopo, South Africa), “Awesome”, this devotional and scripture. A call to all to nourish their spirit through studying His word. Grow up.
Sarah, it is amazing to me also how many of us don’t know His Word yet profess Him as Saviour. I over the years have learned that there is more in studying the Bible than just reading the Bible. There are so many resources available to help us in our Bible studies to help us discern his message-so many great Christian writers. My favorite is the William Barclay “Letters to the Galatians and Ephesians”-Ephesians often referred to as The Pearl of the Bible. Barclay has written books on every book of the Bible and these can be obtained through the local Library system at no cost. I am now studying Thessalonians in the Bible and Barclay’s writing to assist me the same way the disciple did for the Enoch on the road when he asked for help to discern what he was reading-the Holy Scriptures. I pray that all who read this and want to grow from being babes will consider my words-inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Peace,

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:25AM CDT

Father God thank You for the hunger You place in our hearts for You. Without that hunger we would starve spiritually. Thank You for the rain yesterday. Be with us this day. Bring healing and peace to those hurting both physically and emotionally. Help us walk with You. Be Thou our vision. IJN. Amen.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:31AM CDT

Grace and peace to all on this day that the Lord hath made! What a joy and blessing it is for me to come to worship each morning and start my day with this wonderful cyber-family of God. John, what a blessing you are to so many and especially to children who in today's society seem to be neglected. Praise God for your good work. Judy of Yahala, FL, I pray that you will be over the coughing and swollen throat before you head out on your trip. Prayers for all needs spoken and unspoken. "ASK"

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:36AM CDT
Comment by Venedith

A blessed day URF, thank you John for todays devotional. As we pray for health issues indeed we must include the spiritual well being and growth. Prayers for all our loved ones with health problems and the strenghtening of their spiritual health for their families and care takers as well. Peace

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:38AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning, John and UR family. Reading the Bible is a good start, but will not bring about spiritual growth, or not very much. For myself, I have found the most growth came, from using what I learned, such as writing letters or writing about it here in UR. There is scripture that says something along the same lines, though I don't recall which book. Prayer for wisdom and understanding not only of scriptures, but also for whatever you find yourself going through, will help you grow. Also, if you practice affirming Truth, you will find it comes naturally when you need it. Balance between work and family and friends, and time alone with God, is also important. Good morning, and GOD bless you all!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 07:41AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

John, thank you for this comparison! As Sarah said, it is a shame how many Christians are spiritually lacking nourishment when we have so many resources...reminds me of how it is a shame that some people in the world are starving while we are wasting food. I have been working on losing weight, and it is a slow process...one pound per week sometimes...but in the end, I will see a difference. I hope to make the same progress in my spiritual life...a little work every day, a renewed awareness of what I am doing, and hopefully in the end I will see a significant change. More importantly, I hope He sees the change in me to be more like Him.
God bless.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:01AM CDT
Comment by Tara of Birmingham, AL

This is a wonderful reminder, also, that this a scripture that needs to be imbedded in those that are new to the body of Christ. This scripture was also reiterated in the first part of a 4-week Spiritual Formation training I just completed.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:03AM CDT
Comment by Donna of Seguin, TX

Thank you John for this devotional. I have recently had several of my christians friends encourage me to read in the Bible. I started with Psalms, then Proverbs & now I am reading in John. I can tell you that by doing this I am "feeding" my spiritual growth. It is one thing to go to church each week & feel that is all we need to do. But it is another thing to really get into God's word & use it in our daily lives. We need food daily and we also need God's word daily. Please keep me in prayer....I am struggling with some "old" hurts from the past. I know I need to be forgiving & to realize that they are "old" hurts & that I should have moved beyond them. With professional help I am starting to feel better & to realize that there was & is not anything Ican do to change the past or the person who hurt me. We are each individual children of God and it is not up to me to judge this person or myself for what happened. With God's help I am slowly but surely moving forward. God bless you all.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:15AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Atlanta, GA

So important to be fed the Word of God daily! Praise God for all of you here today and everyday.

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
[or Guide me, O Thou great Redeemer…]
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield;
Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

Lord, I trust Thy mighty power,
Wondrous are Thy works of old;
Thou deliver’st Thine from thralldom,
Who for naught themselves had sold:
Thou didst conquer, Thou didst conquer,
Sin, and Satan and the grave,
Sin, and Satan and the grave.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of deaths, and hell’s destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan’s side.
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to Thee;
I will ever give to Thee.

Musing on my habitation,
Musing on my heav’nly home,
Fills my soul with holy longings:
Come, my Jesus, quickly come;
Vanity is all I see;
Lord, I long to be with Thee!
Lord, I long to be with Thee!
This hymn was sung, in Welsh, in the Acad­e­my Award win­ning mo­vie How Green Was My Val­ley (1941). It was sung in Eng­lish at the fun­er­al of Di­a­na, Prin­cess of Wales, in West­min­ster Ab­bey, Lon­don, Sep­tem­ber 6, 1997.
by William Williams 1745

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:23AM CDT
Comment by Denise of Haskins, OH

Thank you John for your devotional. I am finding myself more and more each morning looking forward to reading my daily devotional. I know that is a good thing and trust it is the Lord working in my life. DONNA, I understand your struggles, I too deal with "old"hurts on a daily basis. Keep your faith in Him and trust that He will lead you away from those negative feelings. Still struggling myself with the unwanted divorce hearings coming up in August. Please pray that I will say, think and do things to glorify Him. Prayers for all of you today!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:27AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Much gratitude for John for powerful message--God is good indeed. I have been reading the wonderful devotions and your responses--for a long time --what a blessing! I would like to actively participate in this strong prayer family and you are all heartfully uplifted in prayer. Thank you John again--for your inspired words and devotion. I would if any remember me in prayer as I have healing challenges today and also critical legal decisions will be made that could provide a less stressful and more expanded like--able to be of better service. Thank in advance for your encouragement --may be God through Christ Jesus be with us on this lovely Thursday.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:42AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Much gratitude for John for powerful message--God is good indeed. I have been reading the wonderful devotions and your responses--for a long time --what a blessing! I would like to actively participate in this strong prayer family and you are all heartfully uplifted in prayer. Thank you John again--for your inspired words and devotion. I would so grateful if any of you wonderful prayer warriors might remember me today in prayer as I have healing challenges and also today, critical legal decisions will be discussed that could provide a less stressful and more expanded life--for me to be able to be of better service. Thanks in advance for your encouragement --may be God through Christ Jesus be with us on this lovely Thursday.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:44AM CDT
Comment by Allison of San Antonio, TX

Sarah, I want to thank you for your ministry here in the UR chapel. I appreciate you summarizing the needs, concerns and praises of all who meet here. Selfishly, it makes it easier for me to pray for all the needs. I actually had a dream that I opened the Upper Room site one morning and you weren't there.
I was in a bit of a panic because due to your faithfulness, I thought something terrible had happened to you! I was so relieved to see you there the next morning. Please know we are all praying for you as well. Blessings to all this day!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:58AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

John McCutcheon: Thank you for your devotional today. Technically, it's the Holy Spirit, that Jesus sent after He left this earth, who guides us into all TRUTH. But, I know what you mean to say. In reading the Scripture, we learn that we don't need for God to give us a "new hunger" for His word, because as you said in your last sentence, " Jesus promised that those who come to him and believe in him will never go spiritually hungry or thirsty."
I believe what will help you to understand this more perfectly is when you GIVE Of Yourself To Those Around You Without Requiring In Return, because this is the essence of Love. In "attaining a likeness" to our Savior, there has to be, First of all, and above all, LOVE!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:06AM CDT
Comment by cherie of inverness, FL

Thank you John for this timely devotional. I love to study the Bible and would love to find a study group soon. Thank you too, Duane for telling us about William Barclay. I will go to the library this week and pick up some study materials. Ron is feeling some better and I know it is from all your prayers. Love and Light.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:08AM CDT

Thank you, John, for the healing you affect with patients in your clinic. Proper diet and exercise are so important for our daily endurance, but it is spiritual direction that affects us for our eternal journey.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:15AM CDT
Comment by Debbie of Charlotte, NC

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:32AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Have a blessed day!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:33AM CDT
Comment by Nell

John, thank you so much for your wonderful devotional and especially thank you for the wonderful work that you do. I have the greatest respect and admiration for people like you who go to foreign fields to do God's work. Several from our church do this, making a great sacrifice in leaving families for several days but trusting God that He will watch over families while they are gone. Your comparison of physical hunger and spiritual hunger is so thought provoking and really easy to understand. Many are deprived physically at times in their lives, and also I believe spiritual deprivation happens due to bad choices at times but also due to circumstances in their lives. We are on a journey in this life and some people go through more trials than others. I am so thankful that God is the One that knows all about each one and what he is going through. He loves us, has alwaylloved us and always will love us. We are His creation. Blessings to all on this day that He has given us.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 09:42AM CDT
Comment by Henry of Alexandria, VA

Thanks to John and others for the devotional, scripture and comments emphasizing the importance of feeding both our physical and spiritual needs with the right food at the right times -- sometimes just milk and other times more substantive food! And I loved Kim's emphasis that God intentionally makes us hungry so that we will want to receive both His spiritual food and the food we need physically. Adding my thanks to John and all others in ministries lay and ordained! Joining all in prayers for Merry those in your church and family, JK and your ministry, Judy, Francis, Dan PTL!, Ray your pastor and family and your neighbors, Dawn and your MIL of 93 (know exactly how you are feeling as we have my MIL of 92 with us after a long ordeal of getting her to give up her independence -- WHICH she still craves and gets moody wishing she still had the freedom but just can't be alone anymore -- always a tough situation!), Donna the woman and your Mom (Janie and I need prayers to get rid of OUR stuff too!!), Kim, Donna, Cherie and Ron PTL!, me and others still seeking employment or better employment (Lord order our steps with your anointing and energize inspire and embolden us to walk those steps!), those serving God and country, our nation's leaders and those helping them deal with so many issues, those with health relationship and grieving issues, those in life's storms of all types Ukraine Israel Palestine Syria our southern border plane crashes fires floods and more, and for all other spoken and unspoken praises and requests. God is able and is indeed love. Grace, peace and blessings.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:05PM CDT

Lydia, AMEN to the song choice of the day.... whew... feed me till I want no more... and Come Lord Jesus come!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:09PM CDT

Kathy, who Posted July 31, 2014 at 08:42AM CDT, WECOME to our URF! We love having new members join us!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:11PM CDT

Donna of Seguin, TX, old hurts sometimes can only be healed by peeling the scab off and cleaning the puss out. Sounds gross, I know...but having been through the emotional healing process myself from serious old wounds... I have found that Christ will get you through it. I am a very visual person, and get concepts better when I read 'word pictures'. I read a booklet by Max Lucado once that spoke about Christ cleaning out the garbage of our lives. I was able to visualize Christ opening up the garbage bag of my heart, take ONE thing out, help me look at it, deal with the emotions it caused, understand all the background of it and come to a place of healing about it. He did this with each and every 'cell' of the garbage in my heart, ONE AT A TIME. He will do the same for you because He loves you with an agape' love... TOTALLY UNCONDITIONAL! You are in my prayers as you go through this healing process.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:19PM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thanks for your devotional, John. May the Lord help us see our spiritual need and surrender to Him daily to grow and bear fruit.
***
My life is in You, Lord, my strength is in You, Lord
My hope is in You, Lord, in You, it's in You
My life is in You, Lord, my strength is in You, Lord
My hope is in You, Lord, in You, it's in You
*****
I will praise You with all of my life
I will praise You with all of my strength
With all of my life, and all of my strength
All of my hope is in You
*****
by Daniel Gardner. © Copyright 1986 Integrity's Hosanna! Music

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:21PM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Hello, everyone. Happy Thursday! Thank you for your devotional, John. Feeding on the word of God will indeed keep us in good health. How thankful I am to be hungry for it!

Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:31PM CDT