Sign-up Today!

Completely Dependent

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014

Read Psalm 43:3-5

View the July-August, 2014 Issue

- Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

I received a phone call that turned my world upside down. I was told that I had cancer. Through doctor appointments, tests, and awaited results, I seemed to be living in a dark tunnel. I could not see, could not plan, and could not focus on simple daily tasks. As darkness threatened to pull me under, I found that I was completely dependent on God. The more I depended on God, the more peace I felt. God was my light in the darkness. I realized that the question I should ask was not Why me? but Why not me? Can’t God use every circumstance in our lives for a greater purpose? My prayers were transformed. I no longer asked God to take the cancer from me. I asked God to use my cancer diagnosis for God’s greater good. God answered my prayer, giving me peace as well as the desire and ability to walk with others through their experiences with cancer. God gave me gifts of encouragement, compassion, love, and care so that I could reach out with understanding and support for others.

Deborah Pow (Alberta, Canada)

Our struggles give us the opportunity to show God’s love to others.

Prayer focusSomeone who has just received a cancer diagnosis

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Deborah, for your devotional this morning. I pray that the Lord is bringing you healing from the cancer, and that all treatments you have are successful. I pray that He will continue to use you in a mighty way throughout this. In a different sort of way my world was turned upside down several years ago with the devastating end to my marriage and then losing my job and now very long-term unemployment. I, too, am completely and totally dependent on God, as I have no source of income now. Though frequently I have peace, there are times, I will admit, when I am in panic, wondering what will happen to us. But I am finding, like you said, that God is my light in the darkness. I pray that He will use me to be a help and encouragement to others, as He has used you.
GEORGINE - I’m praying that you will have a safe and enjoyable vacation to Scotland for a few weeks. May the Lord watch over you, keep you safe while flying and on the road, and bring you home safely. I pray that He blesses you while their and that you have good weather. * EDD of Ocala, FL - I pray that the Lord keeps your daughter-in-law, Bianca, and little Zeke safe, and that the c-section goes well, and he is born safely. I pray that Zeke is a healthy, happy baby, and that Bianca recovers well from the long labor and c-section surgery.
ELIZABETH - I pray that all went well yesterday when the doctor inserted a stent for your large kidney stone, as they don’t have the equipment yet to blast the stone. I pray that the stent helps, and no complications develop, and I pray that they will be able to get the equipment real soon so the stone can be removed. I pray the Lord brings healing, and relief from all pain. * JK - I’m glad to hear that the rental agent finally came up with a car, even though you had a reservation! I pray that the Lord will watch over you and your family while on the road, and that you all have a very pleasant vacation, and that He blesses you with good weather.
KATHY of Reading - I continue to keep you in prayer, that the Lord will meet all of your financial needs, especially next week while your grandsons are with you, and you have to take two of your vacation days without pay. I pray that He will give you a financial breakthrough with a raise or a better-paying job. I also pray that He will give you direction about your thoughts of moving back to Ohio to be nearer your family. * DAN - I am joining you in prayer for all the incarcerated youth, that they may hear the Good News of Jesus, and call upon Him for salvation. I pray that they will get the help they need so that when they are released they can set off on the right path and not become repeat offenders and land back in jail.
HEIDI of Woodstock, IL - I am praising the Lord with you that your daughter has a job offer and will be starting in a week! I pray that the Lord will bless her at this new position, and that she will learn all she needs to quickly, does well, and is a great success. I pray, also, that the Lord will provide her with a good, permanent place to live in soon. * SIMONE of Dania, FL - I am praying for you, that the Lord will open up the door for you to get the position you interviewed at on Monday. I pray that as they review your resume/application, and remember your responses at the interview, they will see you as the perfect fit when they make the decision on Friday.
DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I am praying for your uncle, who had a heart attack this past Friday. I pray that the Lord will bring him healing, and strengthen his heart. I pray for wisdom for his doctors to know the best steps to take with his specific condition, and that he will fully recover. I am also praying for your mother, as she is unable to travel to be with her brother while he recovers. I pray that she adjusts well to her new space in your home, and that the Lord continues to heal and bless her each day. * HENRY of Alexandria - I am praying for your granddaughter, Ashley, as she is staying with you while attending sailing camp. (How fun that must be! ) I pray that the Lord will bless her, and continue to bring healing to her, body and soul. I continue to keep your friend, Mike, in prayer, that the Lord will be working in his life, helping him to move on from the traumatic and unwanted divorce he went through. I pray that He will bring Mike healing emotionally and physically from his depression and self-starvation.
CHERIE of Inverness, FL - I am praying for Ron today, that the Lord will be with him during the surgery today for the kidney stones and the enlarged prostate. I pray that the Lord will guide his doctors, and that it is successful. I pray that the Lord gives him a quick and complete recovery and healing.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 12:20AM CDT
Comment by Terry of Dublin, OH

Thanks Deborah for your message and inspirational reminder that God's peace is there for us all the time. The more we tap into it, the greater it gets in our lives. It is an inner peace and joy not to be found by any earthly means. It not only brings the peace you mention in times of darkness but also adds to the joys we experience as well, (as stated the highs are higher and lows are not so low). It is a joy and peace I hope for all and is thee for the taking, all we need do is open our lives to God each day. As stated in your message, it doesn't say we will not encounter hard times but they will be lighter and we will feel a peace as long as we have God at our side.
I pray for who find themselves in the darkness this day whether it is due to physical, emotional, economical or other means. I ray they reach out for God and experience the peace you mention in your message

Posted July 23, 2014 at 03:07AM CDT
Comment by cherie of inverness, FL

This devotional is a timely one for Ron and I right now. I pray the Lord uses us in this situation to be a help to others as they go through similiar situations. We are off to the surgery. Please keep us in your prayers and know that all of you are in mine. Love and Light. Cherie

Posted July 23, 2014 at 03:58AM CDT

Deborah, thank you for the reading. Why not me were the exact words my 1st close friend used when his melanoma cancer came back the second time. Sarah praying for you and your family, your constant devotion to this site is appreciated. Elizabeth, praying for you with kidney stones, my wife went through it last year, she learned some things researching that helped I will post later that may help. Edd and Raynard, praises for your new grandchildren and prayers for the families. Georgine, JK, and Judy travel mercies. Kathy, praying for you and your family. Julie, praying for your test on Friday and your niece Caitlin. Donna, praying for your uncle who had a heart attack. Cherie, praying for Ron as he has surgery again today. Alison, praying for you as you battle cancer. Leah, praying for the Wells family. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 04:22AM CDT

Deborah, thank you for sharing your journey with cancer in this devotion. I also appreciated the rest of the story in the Blog; the abuse you and your siblings experienced growing up, and the way your cancer was an opportunity to become reunited with your sister. As horrible as this disease can be, and at times how much more horrible are our attempts to drive it from our body, I always appreciate accounts where God has found a way to use it as a tool for healing; either ourselves or other people whom God puts in our path. I do pray that through this reawakening with your sister, she will become a person of faith. I also pray, since the cancer account you shared with us was 4 years ago, you will continue to be in remission.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 04:43AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Reading, PA

Good Morning UR family! Thank you Deborah for your devotional. Four years ago I went through difficult times. My Mom called me to tell me she had cancer. 2 months later she was gone. That year I had also gone through a divorce, I had to put two of my dogs down and I moved to Ohio.......WHEW.......God was with me the whole time. I learned that no matter what we go through, God is with us. I have inner peace sometimes. When I feel overwhelmed I take a minute and just pray. Sarah, I am keeping you in prayer as always. I pray for employment for you, that public aid comes through. If I lived closer I would help you more. Sarah, I have a one bedroom apartment but you and your family are always welcome here! It would be fun to cook for someone other than me:) Cherie, I am praying for you and Ron. May the Lord provide healing and strength. Elizabeth, keeping you in prayer for your kidney stone. Henry, I am praying for Mike. Divorce is hard. I look back at my marriage and have regrets. We went to marriage counseling three times. I look back at what I had but I have more now. I am a closer relationship with the Lord. Sail away Ashley! I pray for her safety and that she is having fun. Terry of Dublin, I liked your comment this morning. I have been reading about that plane crash. I pray for all the families. That is just so tragic. I pray for peace. I read the news and most of it is heartbreaking. My prayers are for all spoken and unspoken needs today. Have a blessed day to all.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 04:57AM CDT
Comment by Stuart of Gulfport, MS

Thank you Deborah for your words..................I moan and belly ache everyday about something. I'm trying to get a handle on it..........I have prayed to GOD for Joy and Peace and to help me maintain that even when things go badly..................May GOD be with you every second throughout your day, each day.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:39AM CDT

Good morning all great day Zeke is here and is beautiful baby 8 lbs 1 oz 21 inches long , mother is fine and recovering well. Praise the Lord!!! Thanks for all your prayers and the love you all provided me and my family. Deborah, thanks for the scripture and your heart warming devotional. May God's hands touch your cancer and may His will be done. Your are a true inspirational individual to all of us. Your focus and desire that this illness will reflect good on God is proof of that. I truly hope I can emulate your attitude when my time to do so is in front of me. God is Great!!! praying all the UR Family has a day filled with God's healing and love. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:41AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! The scripture reading this morning reminded me of yesterday - a woman named Carmen works where I'm working, and yesterday she mentioned, with sparkling eyes, how much she loves praise and worship services. It inspired me to come home after a nearly twelve hour day, and put on some praise music. There is nothing like praise, to bring us right back to the comfort and security of resting in the palm of God's hand! I love you, Lord!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:42AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Deborah for your devotional. Sadly to say , my late oldest sister who passed away a few months ago shared the same name. She was the only person in our family not born in the same hospital as the rest of us. While I dont know, never been told or asked how she died, I pray that" she isnt in Heaven trying to " boss Jesus around "I digress. One thing I learned when people tell you having cancer" God take the focus off you and puts it on him thru the other person.... Last night, 2 phone calls from 2 of my wife's uncle's relatives made me think" they were not very good at the game" Go Fish" or" never watched any" Columbo" or Perry Mason".. I did encourage them about" the reality that is front of all of us..( Mind you without being religious respectful and compassion)..Like the old say we have in the military, "Old Soldiers dont die, "they fade away".. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day..

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:44AM CDT
Comment by Janet of Johnstown, PA

Deborah, thank you for your devotional. I am so glad you have had 4 years since the diagnosis and time to reconcile with your sister. When I was a new nursing grad and going through some tough times, I reached out my bible and opened it. The pages fell to Psalm 43:5, exactly what I needed at the time and times after that. How wonderful to know we have a God who walks with us each moment even if we don't always walk with Him.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:45AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thanks, Deborah, for your devotional. The word 'cancer' sends fear to our minds and hearts. Your words remind us that dependence in God is the strength that sustains us every day.
Praising God for answered prayers and praying for our cyber fellowship of believers. May the Lord strengthen you today as you face different circumstances. Have a wonderful day in the Lord.
*****
Your Spirit in me
My Lord, my God You're always there
*******
by Bill Gaither.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:49AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Thank you again for your devotional and blog post today, Deborah!
Praise God that He has wonderful plans for each of us! Let go, and let God!
I have my third day of training to be a relief rural postal carrier. I have learned that I have a long way to go to learn this job. I also found out that I may have trouble with my vehicle insurance.
I am praying and trusting in The Lord to guide me all the way. I can only do the best I can. That is enough.
I am scheduled to deliver the mail solo on Friday and Saturday. I am a worrier by nature, so I need to accept God's peace.
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for each of you.
Have a blessed day!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:02AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Good morning, thank you Debora for your devotional.
May God watch over you for continuing remission.
I feel so blessed, getting up early reading the devotion and all your comments, knowing the needs and blessings of everyone. And Praying for all of you.
SARAH after reading your blog, I so can identify with your situation, I watched my daughter go through this difficult time. Praise God for her job opportunity, yesterday she sold her camper in one day after advertising it. This gives her some financial comfort till she earns a paycheck.
Praying for each of you, many blessings.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:08AM CDT

Deborah, thank you for the devotional today. It makes me think of the scripture that got me through my late husband's cancer diagnosis and death 12 days later. Roman's 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." NKJV I learned in the weeks and months after Jims death, that when we turn our hearts and minds over to The Almighty, seek His face through the trials of life, He always gets us through them, He always brings something good out of it... always the first good out of the bad is a deeper, closer relationship with Him, but then most of the time, we can look back on those bad experiences and see how He affected not only our lives through it, but others as well. And we then have one more experience to use to help someone else who may now be going through something similar. People are more willing to let you minister to them when they know you've already experienced what they are experiencing, so they know you do understand.
“I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” - Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) is another 'stand by' verse that gets us through tough times. It doesn't mean we will necessarily prosper monetarily, spiritual matters are what is most important. What spiritual, eternal truths do we learn through the physical struggles of life? Spiritual prosperity is what is important. "The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows."
We are blessed to know The God Who prospers us...Who gets us through the cancer diagnosis and treatment, Who gets us through the death of a loved one, Who gets us through joblessness, or underemployment, or...you name the hardship... He gets us through them...
We are blessed to know other Christians who God may use to help us through tough times, or He may use us to help someone else...
We are blessed to be connected to others around the world through sites God provides, like The Upper Room website. We are blessed indeed.
Cyber hugs to all who enter this cyber chapel. You are blessed to be a blessing...and you are loved!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:13AM CDT
Comment by Anita of Plymouth, MI

Good morning UR family and praises to our Lord and Savior! Thank you Deborah for your very timely devotional and I am encouraged by your strength and inspiration to take something negative and turn it into a positive...thats how faith in God works! Why not me...something my dad always says in his present state of paralysis. Tomorrow he will be having the second and final surgery that will hopefully restore his ability to walk. I ask for your prayers that all goes well and that no matter what happens that my father will accept God's will and live victoriously in God's everlasting love. I also ask for prayers for my cousin Serena who had been free of breast cancer for almost 2 years and has received a diagnosis of lung cancer. May God be with her also and also with each and everyone who visits this site. May God bless you and provide for your every need.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:22AM CDT

Good morning UR family and Deborah thank you for the devotional.Lately the scripture I have been clinging to is "Don't worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself and also LGLG. I know that no matter what happens the Lord is there for me.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not. Running late for work. Have a great day UR family.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:25AM CDT

Marsha of Brownwood, TX, one thing that will help you on your route is finding a good Christian radio station to listen to... like KLove or Air1, which are satellite stations and can be found anywhere. If you're not familiar with those, you can go to Klove.com and find station lists for your area, which plays Christian contemporary (KLove) or Christian Rock, (Air1) music. They also have news that keeps us abreast of world events, but feeds us more positive encouraging things the mainstream media won't necessarily share. Or, there are Country Gospel stations also. Basically you can have a praise/prayer chapel in your car!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:29AM CDT

Good morning all. Thank you Deborah for sharing this word today. Praises for all the blessings you bestow on others with your uplifting and encouraging countenance during your own despair. I am so happy you overcame the darkness you felt in response to your diagnosis.
George thank you for the travel mercies. It was a splendid day of uneventful driving and nary a drop of rain to contend with! I made it is one piece and am a little worse for wear in the exhaustion department. *
Sarah thank you for your prayers as well and for your continued devotion to us and our group of worshipers. I pray that you always know God's presence and that you are rewarded to overflowing in the very near future.
Stuart I am with you~ I complain or rather "take note" of many issues that are not noteworthy. I am working on that with God's abundant help! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!
Yet another praise regarding my student/daughter. She did well on a recent exam for her summer of study. I am so very thankful to God for providing her with so many promising avenues to explore and take full advantage as she finds her way on her own. I am very excited to be seeing her in a little over 2 weeks, but happy I have some time to recover before another long drive.
Prayers and praises for all who voice and share here in the cyber chapel.
Sarah how can I see your blog? did I miss the info(duh? haha). Thank you Heidi for mentioning it so I would know I must be missing it.
Brain and body are a little frazzled this a.m. so I apologize for rambling and a lack of clarity. Cyber hugs to all.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:31AM CDT
Comment by Francis of Hideaway, TX

Please pray for our Christian brothers and sisters who are persecuted. In the Middle East they are such a target; convert to Islam or die. Pray for relief and there will be some way to help them.

Praise God my 10 year old California grandson is recovering well from whooping cough. I understand now why we vaccinate for this, and he was. The Dr. said his vaccination made his case less severe. WHEW! In the morning he would cough until he would vomit and it would rupture the blood vessels in his nose. Thank God and praise God for healthcare workers and antibiotics!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:34AM CDT

Good morning friends. Deborah welcome to the UR and thank you for your devotional contribution. Trusting in the Lord is what life is all about. Praose the Lord!!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by avis

Good morning all,

Requesting prayers! I just felt the need today, the darkness in my life need some light.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:44AM CDT
Comment by avis

Good morning all,

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:44AM CDT

Deborah, I can remember where I was sitting, what I was wearing and everything about the room when I received my "phone call." At first I was just numb. Again, like you, God was there and continued to bless me through the whole struggle. It's been 20 years and we have faced even greater trials, but God has blessed us even more.
Praying for all of your needs as I read through all the blogs, I see how we all rely on God. Many of our problems have been solved, but some of us are still waiting on God's timing. My son had a good interview yesterday and we are praying that this is the position for him. My SIL starts Chemo soon for her Pancreatic Cancer. We are finally getting ready for our vacation. Life seems to be a series of turmoil and blessing. Praise God that the Blessings come too.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:51AM CDT
Comment by Willis of Jackson, TN

Good Morning UR Family: DEBORAH--thanks for the devotional. I told one of my Christian friends that GOD would take care of my physical problems if it was HIS will, and he told me why had I given up. Friends, I have not given up, only given it to God. I daily thank HIM for all HIS love, mercy and forgiveness. Bless each and everyone that transits this wonderful loving site. My prayers go out to each and every one of you. GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:53AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Deborah Pow, my wife & I just had this discussion last night. I survived stage four tonsil cancer (6 yrs in Sept, PTL). When a Doc at Ohio State made me realize what I was facing (it really sunk in), the most abrupt observation I made was people going about there lives as before & me being in the fight for my life (praise The Lord, I was in the fight, I had a chance). Instead of a tunnel, I felt like I was in a flooded stream & could not get out, but I waited on The Lord to either bring me to shore or take me home, I had no choice as with you, I was totally dependent on Him (still am). And also like you, I experienced peace that I had never experienced before. It was like our precious Heavenly Father said to the devil (the world), leave him alone, he's mine, I know him by name.
I know we wonder why God allows these things to happen but when the doctors listed all the reasons that one might get cancer (smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking, exposure to chemicals {even in our drinking water}, etc., etc....). I know cancer does not discriminate (many are innocent victims), but perhaps I would have been better off had I cared properly for my body as we are told to in the Bible (we are wonderfully made).
Love & prayers & blessings, In Jesus Holy Name (above all others), Amen.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 06:57AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Deborah - thank you for this wonderful devotional! God is so powerful, beyond our comprehension!
Blessings!!!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:17AM CDT
Comment by Penny of Midland, NC

Deborah, thank you for this devotional...your story is an inspiration. You have inspired me. God Bless You.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:20AM CDT
Comment by Dick - NB, Canada

Thank you Deborah for your faith and example. So many like you and Matt are an encouragement to others who have had to deal with that battle. I think of Isaiah 43:2 "When you pass through the, I will be with you ... through fire you will not be burned." That doesn't mean everyone will win the earthly fight against cancer but will have the Lord with them through the ordeal and His Spirit will protect their eternal spirit throughout.
   We all can be encouragers in the Word to those families who must face cancer.
May the Lord bless all the requests lifted up today.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:21AM CDT
Comment by Sandra of Summerville, SC

Deborah, thank you for your devotional this morning. I am depending on God for many years now and I can truly say he has been there for me. I pray that you are healed from your cancer. Sarah, I continue to pray that God will bless you with a job and some financial assistance for you and your family. You are always praying and an inspiration to others. Just keep depending on God and he will surely see you through.
Have a wonderful and blessed day!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:29AM CDT
Comment by Georgia of Woodstock, GA

Thank you, Deborah, for your beautiful message this morning. Finding a way to make something good out of a cancer diagnosis is proof that you and God are definitely on speaking terms. Sarah, your ministry here lifts me up every day. Be assured God is using you in mighty ways. Avis, praying you will see the healing light of our Lord today. He is there for you even in a dark room with your eyes closed. May you feel the embrace of his loving arms.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:30AM CDT
Comment by Simone of Dania, FL

Good morning UR F/F!! Thank you, Deborah for your message which served as a renewed reminder for me. Although sometimes it can be a struggle to get the brain to RE-wrap around it, yes, Jeremiah 29:11 says it all in any/every situation. Again, thank you and the Lord for this well-needed scripture reminder. Praise him that the cancer is in remission as you continue through each day the Lord has brought and is bringing you to and through.
I hope all who have traveled to visit or have persons visiting them are enjoying this time of togetherness. Travel mercies to and fro for each person(s) concerned.
Again, congratulations to all the grandparents in the births of their new "grand-blessings". It seems that many of my friends are now becoming grandparents and I'm looking forward to being a 'grand'. But, doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon (daughter's in to her career as of the moment and son is only 19 and going into his second year of college). Oh well!! :-)
@Marsha (Brownwood, TX): you brought back to mind the thought of when I was younger and started a new job, how I didn't think of being nervous at making a mistake or what might go wrong, etc. Now, at this age, it's interesting how we manage to allow (unconsciously) anxiety in. You will do JUST fine, as the Lord brought you to that opportunity. In addition to Sheila's recommendation, I'm going to throw in: relax and have fun with your position. . .mistakes and all!!
My prayers continue to go up for all my UR family members going through medical/health situations. We're all here and standing with you.
The UR is is such a great place to be, for me, first thing in the a.m.; a great way to start my day's walk with the Lord. Thank you, friends. Be blessed today, everyone!!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:35AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Deborah, thank you for sharing your story and your awesome example of leaning on Jesus. I can imagine that is the only way to get through such a life-affecting diagnosis. I pray that you have experienced healing, as well as all those here in the UR family who have been touched by this devastating illness.
God bless.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:47AM CDT
Comment by Jayne of Maury City, TN

Deborah, great devotional and blog., thanking God for the reconciliation between you and your sister. Praising God that the the cancer is in remission. Thanks for sharing.
Cherie, Inverness FL, praying the surgery for Ron is successful and for a speedy recovery.
Edd, Ocala, FL, congratulations! So glad Zeke and mom are doing good.
Anita, Plymouth MI, praying for your fathers surgery to be successful, and for him to be able to walk again.
JK, thanking God your trip was safe and without a drop of rain.
Don, Ozark MO, praying everything is okay with you!
Willis, Jackson, TN, praying for your physical problems, and your knowing, Gods in control!
Avis, praying for you, praying whatever the darkness is, will turn to light.
Need prayers for my grandson, Heath, who is dealing with the addiction of drugs. He is in counseling praying it works.
Lifting in prayer each spoken and unspoken request. Praying for a safe and blessed day for everyone!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 07:50AM CDT
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Praise, praise, praise. My uncle's problem will be treated with medication and no invasive procedure. He goes home today! Thank you so much for your prayers, my family of prayer warriors. Life is settling down here, and I am truly grateful for the Lord's support during it all. Prayers by name for each need listed. Have a great day and Let God!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:00AM CDT

AVIS, that was my maternal grandmother's name.... I don't see it very often. I am lifting you in prayer...for you to be able to look up and see God all around you...to be able to find scripture in His Word that will speak to your heart and mind and give you peace, that you will ask Him for what He knows you need... ask Him for wisdom, and for you to sense His love for YOU. IJNA

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:01AM CDT

Don of Ozark, MO, your comments are getting shorter and shorter... I pray you are well physically, emotionally, and spiritually and that it is just a busy schedule that has you posting less.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:07AM CDT
Comment by Mary of Akron, OH

Thank you Deborah for this wonderful and heartfelt meditation...I can sure relate to it as I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October of last year, had a mastectomy on November 5th and began chemo on December 6th. My last chemo was February 7th. I am so blessed that everything went so textbook perfect. I was so needle phobic when I began the journey and I was so fearful but God took away my fears. I have an insatiable appetite to reach out to others and help them in any way I can. God bless you and I pray you continue on your journey of health and strength. Your mediation could have been written by me as I share in your feelings....what a wonderful meditation. God bless you.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:07AM CDT
Comment by Judy of Columbia, SC

Deborah - thank you for supporting all of us UR readers with your words of encouragement. God be with you and your family...you are indeed a special lady to have the fortitude to think of others during your illness.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:23AM CDT

Good morning UR Family and Deborah I enjoyed so much your devotion and blog. I remember clearly that day I was told I had the "C" word. I was devastated and felt my world was crashing. But the wonderful doctors that I pray for and God's healing hands, I am in remission. Prayers and praises for all needs met and may the Hands of God continue to guide us each and every day.. "ASK

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:45AM CDT
Comment by Allison of San Antonio, TX

Deborah, thank you so much for your devotional and blog. Like you, I have been diagnosed with cancer and have experienced the total dependence on God and the peace that comes with it. I will pray for your healing and your ability to use this for God's greater good. Both are possible, as all things are with God. My husband and I are blessed to have a large support system of family and friends. Many people are praying for us and it began feeling lop-sided and selfish. So now we maintain a list of everyone we know is praying for us and we also pray for them, that includes all of you in the UR family. I have experienced the gift of courage from God. Although I am a bit shy, God has made me bold. I freely ask for prayers and I am stepping out to build awareness of lung cancer and raising funds for research. Lung cancer is increasing in woman as smoking is decreasing. I am very proud of CVS as they are phasing out the sale of cigarettes and will be completely out of all their stores by the end of the year. My husband and I plan to encourage other businesses to do the same. This is really getting out of the comfort zone for us but feel God is calling us to take serious measures to help the cause.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 09:00AM CDT
Comment by Shirley

Beautiful words Deborah I will add you to my list of people with cancer to pray for. Please Upper Room friends pray for my friend Debbie who just found out she has liver cancer. She has an amazing attitude and is a very special woman. Her faith shines through this news. Also thank you for the prayers for my son Andy's business. The phone is starting to ring so continued prayers are needed. To God be the glory.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 09:05AM CDT

Father God thank You for people like Deborah who can take the bad news and use it to help others. You have given the medical field so much wisdom. What used to be certain death now has so many survivors! Thank You for hope in all things. We pray today for those still in cancer's grip. We pray for Ron's surgery today and for all facing procedures. We pray for new babies and renewed relationships. We pray for hope of employment and for each need mentioned here. We pray for our brother Don. We pray for peace in Israel and for the people of Gaza. We pray for those investigating the airplane crash and for the children in our care. Be with us this day. Thank You that my pastor made it home safely from the Philippines. IJN. Amen.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 09:09AM CDT
Comment by DAWN of jupiter, FL

Deborah, I just want you to know that the news you received is a way for God to have you draw into Him. A church friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. He was devastated because both of his parents had past away from cancer. When he came to tell my husband and I the news you could just see the fear on his face. I know this might not sound good to some reading this but the first thing I did was ask him if he died today would he be seeing the face of God? He said he wasn't sure. So I then asked him it's not cancer he 's in a battle with...it's fear. You see Jesus conquered DEATH on the cross for us all. So we should not, as Christians, be living in fear of leaving this planet. So I again explained to him that if he truly had given his life over to Jesus Christ and offered up his sins for repentance then peace should overcome him. He said he was not at peace. So I asked him a question, if God decided to heal him and leave him here to live with his family would that be a good thing? He said, "Yes." So I asked him again, "If God decided to take him home and he knew he was going to heaven, would that be a good thing as well? He said, "Yes." So I looked at him and said, "Then why are you afraid? As far as I can see it's a win, win situation! He said he wanted to learn to trust God so that he could release the fear and be at peace with whatever God had in store for him. My suggestion was to get alone with God in a quiet room offer up every sin you can think of give it over to him and ask for forgiveness. Tell God you want a cleansing so that you can put your full heart, mind and strength into the next step of your walk. Living without fear. In order for him to learn not to fear this news my friend had taken my suggestion and then came back to me and said that he felt very peaceful and confident that the Lord was going to lead him through this every step of the way. Which HE did. My friend would always wait for God's guidance for each step of therapy and whether to have it or not. By doing this he turned over his trust to the Lord step-by-step. My friend has been cancer free now for a year and I've seen him as a new creation in Christ. Totally confident in his salvation and with such joy that I never see him without a smile on his face. Through this ordeal he learned how to put his trust in the Lord and by doing so everything came out just fine.
Heavenly Father, I pray that you too will keep your peace with Deborah as she goes through this journey with you. I know that if she puts her full trust into your guidance every step of the way that everything will come out just fine. This I pray through your son...Jesus Christ.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 10:28AM CDT

Hello all,
Please pray for John who has lung cancer, recently had brain surgery and then a postponed (due to steroids) follow up procedure. We have been praying for him. Now he will undergo radiation and the steroids are being reduced. Pray healing, discernment for his medical professionals, and perseverance for all. Continued blessings to each of you.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 10:31AM CDT
Comment by Angie of Huntsville, AL

I thank you Deborah for reminding us of the "better" way to react to bad news....the Christlike way! I too have many suffering in their battle against that dreadful disease....Patty and Walt to name a few, with many others having lost their battle. For those still with us, I pray for healing, for those not, I pray they are with their heavenly Father, no longer in pain. I, nor my immediate family have had to enter into this deadly battle yet, and again, I will pray that if and when that time comes I can use it in the way you have! God Bless all those battling cancer currently and those that beat it!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 10:34AM CDT
Comment by Debbie of Charlotte, NC

Thank you, Deborah, for your inspiring message this morning. I could just about have written that devotion myself. Your feelings were identical to mine when I got that phone call that I had uterine cancer and would need surgery. It has been almost a year(Aug. 5th) since the surgery, complications, and then 6 months of chemo. Although I would not have chosen this path voluntarily, God has blessed me in so many ways that may not have happened had I not had cancer. My faith is much stronger now(though I still have a long way to go!), am reading the Bible all the way through, and best of all, I found this website with all of you posting your need for prayers. I confess I still pray that I will remain healthy and the cancer will not return and The Lord has given me peace about this. My prayer is that He still has work for me here on earth and that He will lead me down the path that will accomplish His will for whatever time I have left. Hopefully, it's a long time as I'm not ready to go quite yet!! I will end with prayers for all of us with past and present health issues, as always, those who are looking for jobs and I just thank our good Lord for every person posting here and may He bless you and keep you safe. Grace and peace to all.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 10:38AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Deborah Pow: Thank you for your devotional today. It is too bad that sometimes parents can be very selfish with their kids, but I'm glad that the Lord led you to place of reconciliation with Him and then with your sister. If you haven't done so already, the Lord will lead you to forgive your parents for what they did to all of you.
Here's a thought for you. We don't have to wait for the 'struggles' in our life for God to give us opportunities to show His Love, but it certainly helps us to empathize with others.
In your BLOG, you mention how wonderful it would be if you knew that all of your loved ones will be in Heaven. I believe the best way to approach this concern is to Love them as God Loves us, and that's by Giving To Those Around You Without Requiring In Return. Trust in God that He cares about your loved ones more than you do, and He will lead them just as He lead you even though you may never see it happen.
***
Bob of Elgin: Thank you for responding to my comment yesterday. You stated, " This is not a political venue...". I don't know if you remember, or are aware of, some of the comments being made to Dr. Martin Luther King when he first started speaking out about the abuses of their Civil Rights or the Viet Nam War. They were things like, 'Preaching should be about the Gospel not politics. It doesn't belong in the pulpit.', but does Christianity have 'out of bound' limits or should it permeate every aspect of our lives?
You referenced World War II, where we had a Hitler and his allies, who were wanting to take everything by force, and I agree with you, there are times when we have to defend what is ours. BUT, this same reasoning cannot be applied to what happened in Viet Nam, Iraq or Afghanistan. There is a way to settle these conflicts without having to resort to violence. Do you really believe that Jesus would be Leading The CHARGE with Israel or the Palestinians? Or would He find a peaceful solution to it all?
Ask yourself this question, who benefited from our war with Viet Nam or Iraq? Whether directly or indirectly, we are responsible for what our Government does!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 11:04AM CDT
Comment by Deborah

Thank you everyone, for sharing your struggles and prayer requests! Your words and comments have touched my life today as well. Trials and tribulations are so difficult, yet your words show such faith and commitment to our Lord. That we can share as the family of God, is a blessing in itself.
I pray for every one of you, for love, loss, sorrow, persecution, diagnosis, illness, loneliness, healing.....so much more. We must never forget, in the midst of our suffering, that God has a plan. He always has a plan and though we cannot see what it is, we must always trust that He knows. I trust that not only will He carry us through, but that He has a greater purpose for whatever we are going through.
Each day, driving myself to treatment, I listened and sang my favourite worship songs (it's a good thing no one could hear me in my car.....I have no gift of singing~!). One of the songs that kept me smiling was "This is the first day of the rest of my life..." I realized how much I had taken each day for granted, how much I depended on Him and how much those things I once thought were important, were no longer on my mind. It led me down a new journey of wise christian counselling, and what I learned was that up to that time, I had made most of my life decisions based on fear. The funny thing is.....Cancer was one of the things I feared most!
I remember one day in particular, I was feeling very sorry for myself as I walked through the radiation ward and was unable to smile at others as I had on other days. Then a lady passed by me carrying her young daughter for another treatment. My heart went out to them and I found myself praying for them rather than feeling sorry for myself.
Since my journey through cancer, new challenges have entered my life including severe degenerative disc disease, new lesions, arthritis etc. Although my body feels so many years older than my actual years I know that God wants me completely dependent on Him for my every need. Most of my life I have been able to do most things myself; physical projects, pride in my work, etc., but now I am unable to do most of those things and each morning I get out of bed, I try to focus on thanking God for all that is well (sometimes I fail miserably). No matter how small or insignificant it may seem, we need to find joy in the little things. Sometimes when we are so focused on waiting for answer to certain prayers, we can miss the smaller blessings in each day.
My prayers are with each of you as you journey through your trials and tribulations. Keep your eyes focused on Him and He will guide your steps.
God knows! God has a plan! God loves you!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 11:05AM CDT
Comment by John of Guilford, CT

Deborah, thanks so very much for your heartfelt and powerful witness. I pray that the healing presence of Christ will continue to transform you in spirit and in flesh and enable you to continue to offer Christ to others as you have been so very willing to receive it through your prayers. I have been with friends dying from cancer, and it is such a difficult and darkening disease. The light that dwells in you through faith is a wonderful witness to how the kingdom transforms us in the moment! I offer you a simple prayer that brings me to a good and humble relationship with the Lord: "May my stumbling blocks become your stepping stones." Be well, be whole, be at peace always. Amen.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 11:22AM CDT
Comment by Henry of Alexandria, VA

Thanks to Deborah and so many others today for the devotional, scripture and just terrific comments emphasizing that in all situations and especially when facing health or other debilitating circumstances WE ARE always totally dependent on God whether we are willing to confess that or not -- and certainly always better to confess it! Wanted to start with special thanks and comments to Sarah and Kathy for again your very personal and deeply touching comments and prayers to me -- you and really on in our UR group are SO special in how so many remember the details of others' needs and lift them up in prayer so faithfully and personally -- I just got so emotionally choked up when I read your comments today (which I confess I do every now and then!) and want you to know how much you affect me personally dear friends! God has brought us all together and has given us this site not by accident, but as part of His plan to love and help us and wow does it work! Thank each of you and thanks UR staff for all you do! Joining all in prayers today for Deborah and family, Terry, Cherie and Ron, Kathy and Corey, Sarah (your are just the best, sister!), dear Edd (HOORAY fellow grandpa, and God's richest blessings on you and your family -- special times and they go so quickly!), Marsha, Heidi PTL!, Anita and family, Sheila PTIL!, Francis and grandson, Avis (I can relate personally to the dark times and getting into funks occasionally -- praying for you sis!), Judy and family, Willis, Matt, Jayne and Heath, Donna and father, Mary, Linda, Allison and family, Shirley and Debbie, Dawn (WOW!! What a commentary! Separate message and devotional all in itself -- keeper for sure, thank you especially the win-win comments -- just terrific!), JK and John, Angie, Raynard and family, Debbie, Cindy Lee Jer and families, Josie, Julia Jeff and Matt, me and all others still seeking employment or better employment (Lord let us be totally dependent on you and your guidance, please order our steps with your anointing and inspire energize and embolden us to walk those steps!), those with health relationship or grieving issues, those in service to God and country, those involved in life's storms of types Israel Palestine Ukraine Flights MH17 and 370 fires and floods and more, and for all other spoken and unspoken praises and requests. God is able and is indeed love. Grace, peace and blessings.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 12:43PM CDT
Comment by John

Thank you Deborah.Today I got into the cyber chapel rather late.but i still praise the Lord for the chance.I join all of you in prayers and praises.I praise the Lord ,our daughter got a place to start college next year,please remember her in tour prayers as we do the preparations.Family be blessed.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 01:34PM CDT
Comment by Denise

While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation.🙏😊💖

Posted July 23, 2014 at 01:35PM CDT

Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA, yes we should include God in every aspect of our lives. I am a fellow Californian and I am a Viet Nam Veteran and all I have to say is those in charge are forgetting to learn from the past. I have no idea what God's plan is but, I truly believe he has a plan because He is the only individual who can straighten this whole mess out. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala

Posted July 23, 2014 at 03:38PM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Hello, everyone. Happy Wednesday! Each day that the Lord gives is a gift. I'm glad I received it. Thank you for your devotional, Deborah. Just as I was, I'm sure that many others were encouraged by it. Your faith came through in every word you wrote. Thanks again.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 04:35PM CDT

"Thank you, God, for guiding us in our daily lives and for carrying us through difficult times. Amen."...
Deborah...hello in Canada. Thank you for your encouraging devotional, "Completely Dependent," and your follow up blog. Glad you've recovered from the cancer.
Welcome to the UR family, where you'll find many brothers and sisters.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 04:43PM CDT
Comment by Bob of Elgin, IL

Elias: I can't picture Jesus leading any military charge. However, I believe He came to provide us individual grace and He expects us INDIVIDUALLY to follow the practice of Love and Forgiveness. However, I don't believe He set up rules for states or governments. It's not simple, but when a nation is under attack, it should defend itself. Blessings to all.

Posted July 23, 2014 at 05:58PM CDT

Note to Elias ... Amen brother!

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:07PM CDT
Comment by Yulia

BOB of Elgin, IL, thank you for your comments! In your last one you wrote, "I can't picture Jesus leading any military charge." True, in His first coming, Jesus was the Servant, the perfect meek sacrificial Lamb. But when He comes back second time, He is the Judge, the King of kings, the Lion. Read the Book of Revelation.
...
"The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast. They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.” Rev. 17:12-14
...
" I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron scepter. He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS...Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army. But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh." (Rev. 19:11-21)

Posted July 23, 2014 at 08:37PM CDT