More from Courtney Hill Gulbro

by Upper Room Editorial on Friday, June 16, 2017

I’ve found that becoming aware of and reflecting on God’s bounty can bring comfort and joy at any time. But if we’re not in the habit of doing that, we might tend to dwell on problems or suffering. As with any new habit, it takes purposeful practice to make it part of our routine.

By pausing, say, three times a day to bring our focus to God’s gifts (like a robin’s song, or a flower’s scent, or the fireflies’ dance), we are giving ourselves three moments of peace and perhaps joy every day. I like to time those moments with something that I do regularly. That seems to help me make it part of my daily activities. What I like most, though, is to go for a walk outdoors, preferably in the woods. When we build these moments into our routine we are more likely to readily tap into that healing presence in times of hardship or pain.

To help shift my thinking to an even deeper peace I like to thank God each time I notice one of God's gifts. Admittedly I’m not always consistent with this, but when my mind and heart are filled with awareness of God’s love and grace, there’s less room for thoughts of worry or pain. And that brings me closer to God.

- Courtney Hill Gulbro

Thank you Courtney I need to make a point of enjoying life and thanking God for his bounty each day.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted June 16, 2017 at 12:25AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

I'm putting this on my "must do" list!

Posted June 16, 2017 at 05:05AM CDT
Comment by Alice of Goidlettsville, TN

I sit on my deck every morning when it isn't raining and savor in the beauty and sounds of nature. I brings joy and thankfulness, and always puts a smile on my face and warmth in my heart to start my day.

Thank you so much for your post.

Posted June 16, 2017 at 05:16AM CDT

Courtney, thank you so much for reminding me that every morning in my prayer walk I find JOY! I needed to hear this today. Love to you, sister!

Posted June 16, 2017 at 05:26AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Thank you for this devotion today, Courtney. We get so caught up in the stress and busyness of our day we forget to "stop and smell the roses" and find peace of mind and heart in the little 'de-stressors' God sends us each and every day. ~ Kathy in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Posted June 16, 2017 at 06:41AM CDT

The phrase "stop and smell the roses" came to mind as I read your devotional. God is Love for All!!!

Posted June 16, 2017 at 06:50AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

This powerful message is beautifully written, Courtney. Thank you.

Posted June 16, 2017 at 06:55AM CDT
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

Praise God that you turned TO God and not ON someone to blame for your problems be they immigrants, minorities, those on public assistance or those in government. Our joy will never come from a politician who promises to make us great again but from the Lord who can forgive our sins and make us good, kind and loving again.

Posted June 16, 2017 at 08:24AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Thank you Courtney, for reminding me what I should do more, thank our most wonderful GOD for my and my family's' gifts; as I contemplate, the list grows :) Richard Marietta, GA

Posted June 16, 2017 at 10:10AM CDT
Comment by Mary of Coos Bay, OR

Today was one filled with trials. We were headed across the mountain with a yard of gravel when our trailer's axle decided it didn't want to play nice anymore. It snapped off hitting another car and vanished into a ravine. It was only due to the Lord watching over us that we were at a very wide pull out on a narrow, busy road. The car we hit happened to be our neighbors whom we hadn't talked to in a while. The damage to their car was minor; no one was hurt and we spent a bit of time catching up. After trading information they drove on home and it was just my husband and I waiting in the pick up for the tow truck. It was obvious my partner was upset, so I didn't talk much. I focused on the wild flowers next to the road, the beautiful birds having fun in the forest and the smell of a beautiful spring day. God is indeed good! Your devotional today, Courtney, was right on time for me! Thank you so much for your insight and encouragement! Mary here in Oregon

Posted June 17, 2017 at 01:52AM CDT
Comment by Budzanani

Thank you Courtney for reminding me that each day is a gift from God and there is a lot to rejoice about. I definitely will put into practice your advice and enjoy my life despite all. Thank you.

Posted June 17, 2017 at 02:52AM CDT
Comment by Courtney of Huntsville, AL

Thank you so much for your kind comments, and for sharing other profound examples of God's love and grace!

Posted June 18, 2017 at 12:17PM CDT