More from Kathryn Helms

by Upper Room Editorial on Wednesday, March 15, 2017

God continues to use me one-on-one with individuals who have come to the U.S. from other nations. I enjoy building relationships with people who are new to the English language and new to the country. An exchange of culture and learning means a lot to me. Welcoming the stranger is one way I recognize that God uses me to spread his love. The young woman I wrote about, Summer, is an example of how God brings different cultures together. God breaks down the divisions between us and builds community. Our openness to each other creates an opportunity for acceptance. We can recognize our humanness and appreciate that about each other.

We all like to eat. I told my new Chinese friend, “You must fix me an authentic Chinese meal!” I was honored to sit at her table and share her gift of cooking. In exchange, she said, “You must teach me how to cook American meat!” I had her in my home at my table enjoying a Kansas brisket!

We have so much to learn from each other. This is just one aspect of our relationship that illustrates the importance in this world to come together, relate to one another, and recognize God in our midst. In our exchange, God is creating and building a community of peace.

In my day-to-day activities I stay aware of opportunities God brings into my life. In Kansas, I was privileged to build relationships with young people from China and India. Now in Maryland, I enjoy relationships with individuals from Iran and Japan who want to practice English. Just this past week I sat in my monthly book group at the local library. A woman came and wanted to join the group for the first time. She sat down beside me. When introducing herself, she said she came to the group so she could practice her English. She was from Japan. I smiled a big smile because I knew why I was there that day; why she sat beside me. God was up to the mission of community-building again!

In my personal life, I am concentrating on my writing. I have established a self-publishing company called Robotmom Publishing (www.robotmomlive.com), and I enjoy being a full-time author. I have written several children’s books with voiced CD’s for ages four to nine with accompanying curriculum aimed mainly at the homeschooling community. I was a homeschooling mom for 12 years. Fulfilling one of my life-long dreams, I’ve started my first novella series for teens and adults.

My husband, Stan, and I enjoy our time together as empty nesters of four adult children. We are currently blessed with one grandchild. Our entertainment is caring for our two dogs, Sadie and Sergeant. Life is very exciting because I am always on the lookout for what God has planned next! Blessings!

- Rev. Dr. Kathryn Helms

Thank you for sharing your ministry.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted March 15, 2017 at 01:41AM CDT
Comment by Tom of Canal Winchester, OH

Oh what a wonderful fulfillment you are exhibiting, Kathryn, of God's Spirit. Such hope and optimism you are spreading in these engagements you are led to. Many blessings for you and Stan as you continue on His path together.

Posted March 15, 2017 at 03:35AM CDT

Great work. I too love working with individuals from other countries, currently helping a lady who lost her husband from Germany. God is Love for All!!!

Posted March 15, 2017 at 05:28AM CDT

The gift of Hospitality. Beautiful

Posted March 15, 2017 at 06:40AM CDT

Kathryn, that is exactly how we should treat the alien in our land! Thank you for being a loving light in our world! Love to you, sister!

Posted March 15, 2017 at 06:48AM CDT
Comment by Jay of Clearwater, FL

Kathryn,
Newbees are moving into our condo building today. Thanks, I know what to do. Greeting and welcoming is
one aspect, befriending is a greater act. I shall invite them to our building potluck tomorrow.
Timely devotional, Kathryn, Fruit and Shalom,
O'Jay.....on duty for Jesus in Florida

Posted March 15, 2017 at 06:54AM CDT
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

Thank you for sharing your time and love helping folks adapt....my God prosper your publishing company....God Bless you and your husband we pray....

Posted March 15, 2017 at 07:30AM CDT
Comment by panzarona of jamaica, NY

Keep entertaining the stranger ! You are doing a wonderful job !

Posted March 15, 2017 at 07:31AM CDT
Comment by Willis of Jackson, TN

Good Morning UR Family: KATHRYN--you have an amazing gift to be able to witness to people from foreign lands. Thanks for the devotional.
JONE had her dental appointment and he didn't do what she wanted (put the bridge back in) he pulled a tooth and cleaned her teeth and took advantage of her and her inability to discern what he was doing. A lot of money and a big hole in her mouth. He was the one that put it in about two years ago.
Then my right hearing aid broke, so am not able to hear very much.
Then the drivers seat in my car is stuck in a reclining position which is very uncomfortable. Going to try to get both fixed today in Pensacola (we did have an uneventful trip here).
I know other people have worse problems and I am praying for all of you.
GOD will provide for me and JONE so I am not discouraged.
Will be here one or two days then on to Jackson, Tn.
GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted March 15, 2017 at 08:12AM CDT

This is what distresses me most about the current political situation. Jesus was a available refugee as a child. We must continue to be a welcoming nation.

Posted March 15, 2017 at 09:02AM CDT

Whoops don't know where the "available" came from in the above. Must have been that robot.

Posted March 15, 2017 at 09:03AM CDT
Comment by Gary of Wilmore, KY

33 “Do not take advantage of foreigners who live among you in your land. 34 Treat them like native-born Israelites, and love them as you love yourself. Remember that you were once foreigners living in the land of Egypt.
KATHERINE: Your writings & God's word are pertinent to times in which we live. Isn't it amazing how God touches us when we extend an offer of friendship to others. God bless you

Posted March 15, 2017 at 11:37AM CDT
Comment by Michelle of Wynnewood, PA

What a blessed and timely message as today another unwelcoming Executive Order was stayed by the courts. We trust God for our protection and we are called to hospitality! God bless you Kathryn!

Posted March 15, 2017 at 11:32PM CDT