Lessons of Love

Tuesday, March 28th, 2017

Read 1 John 4:7-12

View the March-April, 2017 Issue

Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another.

- 1 John 4:11 (NRSV)

My 87-year-old father enjoys feeding birds and small animals. One day, I was visiting him after he had thrown scrap food into the woods for the wild animals. Instead of attracting the normal entourage of critters that live in the woods around his house, the food brought a large number of loud, annoying crows. I complained to my dad about throwing out food and attracting crows to the house. His answer was short and to the point: “Even the crows have to eat.”

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Sometimes, when I am trying to help someone who is being difficult, I remember my father’s words. Many people in my life are lovable; but deep down, I know that people who are not easy to love deserve the same care. Jesus taught us that love is not always easy.

My dad understands that one day his bird feeder will bring him the joy of seeing a beautiful redbird or a colorful finch. And then when he least expects it, along come noisy crows to feed on our scraps. His love for the birds and animals is like God’s love for us: benevolent and unconditional.

See images of Pat with her dad, here.

Patricia Lucksavage (Tennessee, USA)

Today I will show God’s love to someone who is hard to love.

Heavenly Father, guide our hearts so that our love for others reflects your love. Thank you for people who show us how to be your loving followers. Amen.

Prayer focusWildlife

Comment by raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Patrica for your devotional. Just before I left Hawaii in 1992, I started feeding the birds in my backyard while living on base. One day, I looked out my window and" it looked like the old Alfred Hitchcock Movie" The Birds".. I also use to feed ducks when I was stationed at Ft Dix ,NJ until the Canadian Geese" muscled in on their territory".. I digress.. I like now my wife has a " old tupperware dish on the patio to feed" whoever gets there first before my dogs" bark and roll their eyes"... Yesterday our apartment complex sent us a renewal lease for another year.. We are slightly playing catch up but they have been more than gracious " with a late fee".. I will be working overtime on the weekends.. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken prayer request.. Be blessed and encouraged everyone and have a great day...Oh about the late fee, and overtime at work. I'm not complaining. God " didn't promise us" everytime we drive, there will be no red lights, traffic jams and" when you go thru a drive in, your order will be wrong sometimes, just smile and be patient".. It can encourage someone. Have a great day everyone..

Posted March 27, 2017 at 07:16PM CDT

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Patricia, for your devotional this morning. I, too, like to feed birds and animals outside our back kitchen. Whenever we have any scrap food, rather than throwing it in the trash, we put it outside for God’s critters. It is never much, as I am a stickler for no waste, but whenever there are scraps it goes to feed them. Some people have criticized me for feeding them, as possums and raccoons will come by late at night, but as your father says, they, too, need to eat. When I see the birds, squirrels, and the other animals come by and get fed, it reminds me that if God sees that they have food, He will ensure that I and my children will also have food each day.
THELMA of Albany, NY - I am holding you and your family in special prayer, that the Lord will watch over and protect you all. I pray that He will put a hedge of protection around you and your family, and keep you safe from any who seek to harm you. I am also praying that the police will take your reports seriously. I pray that He will give you strength and peace during this scary time. * PANZARONA of Jamaica, NY - I am praying for the family and friends of your friend, Joseph, who was battling cancer, and who passed away this past weekend. I pray that the Lord will bring you and them all special comfort and peace as you mourn his loss. I pray that the knowledge that he is now with the Savior uphold you all. I am also praying that the Lord will bring you special encouragement as you travel through the dark tunnel you are in right now.
KATHY of Canal Winchester, OH - I continue in prayer for you each day, that the Lord will open up a good job opportunity for you, one that will pay a living salary so that you will not need to work two jobs, and still not even make ends meet. I pray that He will send just such a job your way. I am also praying for your son, Corey, who is possibly suffering from PTSD again, and has quit his job and is living with his aunt. I pray that he will be able to get the help that he needs for this, and that the Lord will bring him deliverance. I am also praying for your older son, Don, as he has become engaged. I pray for wisdom, peace, and joy in their relationship. * JULIE of Delray Beach, FL - I am praying that your son, Jonathan, that he was able to get in to see the pulmonologist yesterday. I pray that the Lord will bring him full healing from the bronchitis that has been lingering in his body. I pray that the doctor will have an effective treatment for him, and he will be better real soon. I am also praying that everything went well yesterday with your other son, Joseph’s interview. I pray that the Lord gave him the right words and answers, and that He will open up the doors for him to get this or another very good job.
MARILYN of Grantsburg, WI - I am praying for you, that the Lord will bring you healing for the medical issues you face. I pray that He will also give you peace, casting out all anxiousness you have been feeling. * BONNIE of Wilmington, DE - I am praying for you, that the Lord will give you guidance and leading about the decision you need to make, whether to leave your current position as an advocate for residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and to become a financial educator and coach. I pray that He will guide and direct your steps, and give you encouragement and support, relieving all fears.
LINDA of Madison, AL - I am praying for your friend, Frank, who has been having radiation treatments for throat cancer, with him having radiation burns in his mouth from metal posts of his dental implants, and in a lot of pain. I pray that these treatments will be effective in destroying all of the cancer, and the Lord will bring him healing. I pray that He will bring Frank relief from all of the pain as well, and also comfort and peace with his dog dying on his birthday. I pray that everything went well yesterday with the cutting down of the tree in your yard. I pray that the Lord kept everyone safe, and there were no problems. * DANNY of Garnett, KS - I am praying for you, that the Lord will give you peace and encouragement, relieving you of the worries that have been bothering you lately. I pray that He will provide for all of your needs according to His riches in glory. I am praying that the work on the new house for your daughter and future son-in-law is coming along fine, and that He will give needed strength for this task.
DAVE of Manassas, VA - I am praying for you as you attend a business convention in Las Vegas. I pray that all of the meetings go well, and that the Lord will protect you while there and give you safety on your flight home when this trip is over. * HEIDI of Woodstock, IL - I pray that all went well yesterday as you brought your husband, Brian, home from the rehab facility. I pray that the Lord will continue to bring him a full recovery, and that he will be walking fine real soon.
MARGARET of Randallstown, MD - I am praying for your friend’s children, Deandre and Rayjon. I pray that the Lord will bring them healing, and meet each need that they, and their household have at this time. * LEAH - I am praying that the Lord will give you and your friend wisdom, guidance and leading with your relationship. I pray that He will pour His blessings on you both as you seek His will in your lives. I am also praying for the Nagy family, that the Lord will meet each need they have at this time.
WILLIS of Jackson, TN - I am praying for your finger, which you hurt while grilling Sunday evening. I pray that the Lord brings healing to the blister and relief from all pain. * COLLEEN of Fallsington, PA - I am praying for you and your family right now. I am praying for the situation that one of your children is in right now, and that the Lord will work everything out for good for them. I am also praying that the Lord will uphold you, and bring you peace and comfort as you grieve the passing of your mother.
Here is the link to my blog site for any who are interested. It is at http://www.bcplectionary.blogspot.com

Posted March 27, 2017 at 09:47PM CDT
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

“Let us love one another, because love is from God.” There is so much more in this passage about Jesus, but these few words are our ever-present challenge. Do we have the will to make love the central theme of our lives?
Patricia, isn’t it wonderful that our fathers teach us such important lessons!! Let us hear his words very clearly. Other words creep in—like welfare cheats, users of the system, lazy, etc. Fortunately I hear the concept from many of our commenters, “My responsibility is to make the food (or other resource) available, how it is used is between the person and God.” Patricia’s father seems to understand that concept.
Praying that we respect and care for the wildlife around us, and that we respect and care for humanity that is around us. How good it is when we receive love from others, even love that we did nothing to earn. Our Yulia took the time to share a special comment to me—how gracious of her!! Do we take the time to throw out even a little crumb of love and caring for others each day? Praise God for those who share a bit of Good News in their comments day after day.
Praying for all with special needs today. Who had a physical illness? Who has job-related issues? Who has lost a loved one? Who struggles to love their neighbors, especially the cranky ones? May the love of God flood down on them all!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 02:52AM CDT
Comment by Wendy of Auburn, AL

It's been an unusually stressful weekend for us. Yesterday my precious husband got our daughter from 120 miles away to stay with us. Her GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) reached the non-functioning point. We were able to use the FMLA law so she wouldn't lose benefits she's accrued in 15 yrs of employment. She's so fragile right now.
Please remember her in your prayers. It's going to be a long journey...but she, as well as her/our family members, coworkers, manager, our pastor, etc...KNOW who can heal.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 02:54AM CDT
Comment by Wendy of Auburn, AL

P.S. I'm sorry I couldn't post the above earlier when the topic was the tunnels in our lives that lead to anxiety. For the first time ever-my husband & daughter wanted to read the comments here...after I told them that many of you also know what anxiety is like.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 03:04AM CDT

Good morning everyone. Thank you Pat for the devotional and the photo of you and your dad. I hope he is still with you, two years is a long time when you are 87 years old. The time between the publication of the devotional and reading it is about 2 years.
I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching birds in my garden and also looking at the plants and flowers. This year we have at least 3 hedgehogs. Not that I have seen them but my husband recently had installed video surveillance cameras around the garden, so far he has used the recorded footage to look for the hedgehogs. They are living in my rock garden at the edge of the back lawn. We are all so different with our own defects and good points what is important is that God has a place for us all.
***
Thank you to all the contributors this morning for their prayers and comments.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted March 28, 2017 at 03:56AM CDT

***
Thank you to all the contributors this morning for their prayers and comments.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted March 28, 2017 at 03:58AM CDT
Comment by Joanne of Bowie, MD

I put food out on the window ledge at my day care center. The children love to watch the birds and squirrels come up to eat. I use left over snacks and breakfast foods to put out there. Thank you for your message.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 04:01AM CDT

Sorry by mistake my post was sent twice. Those who don't have a garden use your balcony or window ledge to grow plants and look at the birds who come for crumbs. Go to the local park or botanic garden and enjoy Nature. God has given us so much to enjoy in life you don't need millions in fact I think that is an obstacle to seeing beauty in simple things.
Georgine,Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted March 28, 2017 at 04:12AM CDT
Comment by raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning Again U.R Family. Just wanted to ask for prayer for one of my wife's cousin's in NJ.. Just found out recently that he had open heart surgery. We plan to take a trip to Philadelphia, Pa, If he's still in the hospital there or if he's back home recovering... Almost caught myself singing" On the Good Ship Lollypop followed by" Round and Round, The Merry go-round broke down.. I digress lol

Posted March 28, 2017 at 04:46AM CDT
Comment by Vicki of Gulf Breeze, FL

What the world needs now is "Love, Sweet Love"!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:01AM CDT

Good morning all! Pat thank you for the message and reminder that all of God's creation are worthy of our love and care as difficult as it may be to love the "porcupines" among us. Praying your father is still doing well as Georgine mentioned.
Thank you Sarah for your continued prayers for our expressed needs and desires daily as well as praises.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow~~~
Missing Joe this a.m. Thank you Raynard for opening up the cyber chapel today. Praying for your cousin-in-law.
monte great thoughts as usual.
Praying that we all take Georgine's advice and enjoy nature right in our very own "backyard" whether that be a literal backyard or a small patch of undisturbed nature where the "birds and the bees" do their pollinating and living. Embrace God's majesty surrounding us. Another round of spring color had me thinking about Tinkerbell on the Sunday night Wide World of Disney opening with her sparkling colors be dabbled about with the cherry trees and azaleas and dogwood trees coming out (again for some plants) in full force. Our February was the "sneak preview". Our wisteria was the only plant to suffer from the early opening and getting caught with a subsequent frost. Enjoy and embrace a daily dose of His wonders folks.
I am officially counting down the days until our daughter arrives for our departure....the suitcase is out as a reminder and a gathering point for the items I want to be sure to take with me. It is a bit easier now that it is much warmer here, but probably won't be there so I can put my "winter transition" articles packed for the trip. Praise God for this opportunity for us to travel abroad. A first for me and I am a bit nervous, but mostly feeling excited and not altogether prepared!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:08AM CDT

"Today I will show God's love to someone hard to love."…
Amen!
Patricia...good morning in Tennessee.
Thank you for your interesting devotional, 'Lessons of Love.' And the lovely picture of you and your dad.
Our back yard is home to a Brown Rabbit, who is
eating my canna lilies. Also squirrels and birds.
Charlie (my little dog) likes chasing Brown Rabbit.
UR Family...good morning. Thank you for your comments and prayers...Raynard, Sarah, Wendy, Georgine, Monte, Joannie...And all who is posting after me.
Joe...good morning. Missing you.
Sarah...Praying with you for those on your prayer list. And for you.
Thank you for your prayers.
Today I will be mindful of those, who needs extra loving. May I have the patience to take the time to be loving towards all.
Blessings...

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:18AM CDT
Comment by Charles

good morning all UR family.
Thank you for the devotional Pat. I feed the birds on a regular basis - during winter.
A little frozen fat always bring out a large red headed woodpecker. A delight to see. Other birds are also welcomed for their delightful chatter.
Prayers for a special friend who recently became a widow. She struggles with "getting back into society". Prayers also for all others as well

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:32AM CDT
Comment by Elizabeth of Belmont, NC

Good morning UR family. Thank you Patricia for writing this lovely devotional. Your dad and my dad sound like they could be old friends. I try to keep feeders filled in his honor. Watching and listening to the birds has brought me much enjoyment. I will continue to pray for all. WENDY please know I am saying a special prayer for your family. Thank you Lord for your wondrous world of beauty. Amen.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:41AM CDT
Comment by Joseph of Mustang, OK

Your grandfather is a wise man. God Bless him and his entire family.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:41AM CDT
Comment by Rob of Warner Robins, GA

God called us to love Him and to love each other. John reminds us of this requirement. But John also reminds us of the greater love that exists and that is the love God has for us. Without His love for us, He would not have sent His son to Earth to die for our sins and set us free. Let us all remember that. God loves us when we are so imperfect; let us love others. Grace and peace to all of God's children today.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:41AM CDT
Comment by Joseph of Mustang, OK

Your grandfather is a wise man. God Bless him and his entire family.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 05:41AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Good morning UR family, Patricia, thank you fir your lovely devotional. I love feeding all the critters. Sometimes racoons come to visit. They are so cute. Georgine, I liked your comment!!!! Raynard, my lease is being renewed too but my complex is not gracious about being late. They did lower my rent by 5 dollars. Merry, I must admit I have trouble loving some people right now. Today I will try harder! Cherie, good morning to you and Ron. George,I am praying for you, Bethanne, and Annette. Sarah, we need to catch up soon.

I am praying for all spoken and unspoken needs.

Have a blessed day to all.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:05AM CDT
Comment by Paulette of Miami, OK

Patricia, thank you for sharing today's devotional and lovely picture of you and your Dad. I love to watch birds and other critters. Your dad is so correct, even the crows need to eat.

Missing Joe, hope all is well with him.

Sarah, thank you for the prayer list and your faithfulness. Prayers for you, Lucy and Albert.

Wendy, praying for your daughter that God will heal her from the GAD. Praying for God's peace for you and your husband as well.

Charles, praying for your friend who recently became widowed, for her to see the 'light' at the end of the tunnel.

Raynard, praying for your wife's cousin in NJ that healing is beginning.

As JK usually posts, 'Praise God from Whom all blessings flow'!

God bless all here today!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:07AM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

Thank you Patricia for today's devotional and the picture of you and your Dad. One thought comes to mind when I read your devotional. With the roses comes the thorns. Have a blessed day. In Jesus, amen.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:07AM CDT

Patricia, thank you for this devotion, and for sharing this memory of your grandfather. If we extent your scripture one more verse to 1 John 4:13: 'This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit.' The implication here: Once we belong to Christ, 'love' is not really a choice, it's a life-style. Praise God!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:10AM CDT

Good morning all UR family and Thank you Pat for the devotional. I too feed the birds bread scraps. I love to see and listen to their songs. It is a daily reminder of how much He loves us.
Raynard- Praying for complete healing for your wife's cousin.
Sarah- Keeping you, Lucy and Albert in my prayers.
Kathy - Keeping you , Corey and Don in my prayers.
Praying for all those facing surgery/ health issues. Thank you all who are praying for Jonathan. He did get to see his pulmonolgist yesterday and is doing better.
Thank you for praying for Joseph, he said the interview went well now its wait and see.
Praying for the victims of weather related issues. Praying for all on the list spoken or not.
Have a great day UR family!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:10AM CDT

Good morning to all the UR Family let us show God's love to all today. Praise the Lord!!! Pat, thanks for the scripture, your devotional and picture. As I have said before this is my favorite passage. There are two sections that explain God's love. "No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in us." This is such a powerful statement just think of God's love being perfected in us. Then the statement "Jesus taught us that love is not always easy." Shows us some individuals are not easy to love, but we need to keep trying. Praying everything went well with Brian's return home and Heidi will be strengthened to help in his recovery. Lord help with Leah's and her friend's relationship. You also know Nagy's needs please take care of them. Praying Willis's finger heals with no complications. Lord help Colleen's son in what his need is. Praying Shirley's stress test and ecocardiogram shows she is healthy. Lord help Wendy's daughter with her GAD, relieve her anxiety and protect her job. Lord help Raynard's wife's cousin in her open heart surgery recovery. Traveling mercies for JK and her daughter. Praying for peace and comfort for Charles's friends who was recently widowed. Praying that the entire UR Family to find God's healing and comfort. God is Love for All!!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:35AM CDT

If this is the job you want Jon to have let it happen. God is Love for All!!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Good morning dear UR family! Thank you, Patricia, for our devotional today. It is one to which I can relate very well. We have a feeder that my mom watches as she sits at our dining room table. Sometimes, she calls the color of the bird correctly, as her brain continues to make just a little progress around the area of the stroke. She often insists that everyone in the vicinity stop and look to see what is on the feeder. When she first moved in, I was so focused on getting everything done, I would be annoyed with this. Now, I name it and its color, sharing in her interest. The Lord continues to work on me mightily. I actually have more patience. ***Please pray for my friend Jan's husband. He is the one with Alzheimer's and is in the hospital with a possible UTI and heart attack. As if he was not suffering enough. And, I continue to witness to Jan and she listens and does not "yes,but" so much. Maybe that is progress.***I have asked God to help me with the "critter" that has returned. After my SIL stapled all the soffit screens it picked the one it liked the most and pulled it off. It has to be a raccoon, I don't think anything else could have manipulated it. So, after all the rat bait was eaten, if I had rats they must be gone now. This bigger thing awoke me with gnawing about 5:15 this morning. I feel selfish asking God for help with this, however, it is disturbing precious sleep I need to function. So, besides that does anyone have experience getting rid of a raccoon? ***My computer is in the shop for two weeks, and I brought this one from my old office. To put things in perspective, I installed and changed the password for my Fitbit in an hour and a half. In other words this has S L O W E D me down quite a bit. I am grateful that I kept it in working order as a backup, because now I can at least post here and check email. So, I am trying to stay focused on the blessings and not the negatives, as our contributor illustrated today. Have a blessed day in the Lord!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:41AM CDT
Comment by Karippelil (K.E) of Gonzales, LA

Patricia, Thanks for the beautiful devotional and the precious picture with your dad.
Wendy of Auburn , praying for your daughter. May the great physician guide you and your family through this difficult time and bring healing.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:45AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Bangs, TX

Praise God for a brand new day!
Thank you Pat for your devotional and pic of you and your dad. Walking with Christ means showing others love the way He does.
Thank you for your prayers URF! Nick got home safely after his national Guard drill this past weekend, praise God!
I am praying for you. I am also praying for everyone in the path of the spring storms forecast for the next two days.
Have a blessed day walking with Christ.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:50AM CDT

Good morning UR family! Thank you Patricia for the devotional and picture of you and your father! I have to admit crows are not my favorite bird, but I know like hard to love people they need food and love too! We have a band of crows around are neighborhood and they are loud!! My red tail hawk usually keeps them out of our yard. But when I feed birds all of them eat! I have been that crow a time or two in my life. Love to you, sister!
Wendy, I will be praying for your daughter and all of the family as you help her through her anxiety. May she be able to feel the calmness of God's loving arms around her soon! I am so happy your husband was able to bring her home from 120 miles away. Praying for you too, Wendy as you struggle with your health issues. You are loved, sweet sister!
Raynard, thank you for opening the chapel and I am praying for you and Mary as you go to work each day. Praying for Mary's kin who had heart surgery in NJ. Love to you and Mary!
Yulia, glad to see everything is ok in your world. Praying for you and Jesse! Love to you both!
Kathy, good morning to you dear sister! Kisses to the furry family and love to you and yours!
Merry, hello to you and Charlie in the River Valley! I pray you and Gerald are doing well. Love to you both! Hugs and kisses to little Charlie the great Rabbit Chaser!
Julie, glad Jonathan was able to see a dr. Also, praying for Joseph to find a good job! Love to you, sister!
Joe, you are missed, dear brother! I pray all is well with you and yours!
Everyone have a beautiful day! Love and Light!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:51AM CDT
Comment by Karen of Jackson, MS

Good morning UR family. Thank you Pat for the devotional and the picture of you and your dad. I like your thought for the day" Today I will show God's love to someone who is hard to love. " I am constantly asking God for decernment when dealing with my customers. This is the time of year when every other person that comes in may possibly owes taxes. It's hard to give them the bad news. But it's a blessing when I tell them how much they owe and they are relieved that it is not worse. Oh what a blessing. Missing JOE this morning opening up the Cyber Chapel. Echoing GEORGINE we should take time to notice nature. It is so beautiful this time of year. Prayers to those needs spoken and unspoken. Be Blessed!🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:56AM CDT
Comment by janet

Thank you for this beautiful way to start the day. I am flooded with memories of my daddy and trying to remember the wisdom he would share along with his sly smile.
Enjoy the beauty in the crows you face today everyone
janet from texas

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:56AM CDT

Patricia, thank you for the reading and sharing the lovely photo, it reminded me of my dad who passed in 2010, he always faithfully fed the birds every morning. My sister now lives in his house and feeds them. Thank you for the message of loving the difficult people in our lives. It reminds me of the saying "hurt people hurt people". Don't think I posted, but we are in Las Vegas, so it is strange coming on here at 4 or 5am and already seeing 25 posts. Adjusting to time change, the first morning I woke up at 2am and could not get back to sleep, so I went out walking the strip as we are right by the Bellagio. Interesting people out that time of the morning lol. You all are in my prayers. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:58AM CDT

Father God thank You for the many wild critters (animal and human) who surround us. Thank you that you care for us as we care for them. Help us take the time to minister to all who may come our way. When we cast our nets into the world, may they come back to us full of love. Be with all of the needs lifted today. We especially pray for Wendy s daughter and for Corey. Bless our country. Heal its wounds. Be with our President and other leaders and give them wisdom and compassion. Be Thou our vision IJN Amen.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:02AM CDT

Pat, your Dad and you have a great relationship. That is what Father God intents to be the case with all parents and their offspring. Because of humanity's fall into sin that is not always the case. The relationship was meant to be one of love and respect going both ways with the parent showing and leading the youngsters in the way Father God would have them go.

JK, merry, Paulette, cherie, and Karen, thanks for your concern in my being absent. Had away from home obligations that had to be attended to with no opportunity or time to get this loving web site.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:27AM CDT
Comment by Janet of Johnstown, PA

Thank you, Pat for your devotional and the lovely picture of your father and you. We feed the birds year around and joke we are going to claim them as dependents on our taxes. One of our favorite past times is to sit on our back porch and watch them, seeing how many different kinds we see. One of our dentists had a window bird feeding station so while you were having your teeth taken care of you could watch the birds fairly close up in the window.
Blessings to all.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:30AM CDT

Good morning! Patricia interesting message and great picture of you and your dad. Wendy, my loving prayers for your daughter, I have been where she is and with many prayers and praying for God to lead me to the right doctor, I am much better and live one day at a time. Prayers for all battling cancer and other needs, with all our prayers and faith I pray for healing for all. "ASK"

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:31AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Sanibel, FL

Patricia it's obvious you brought back fond memories to a majority of us... thanks for that. If you get a moment read Sarah's blog.... baaaa baaaa ;-)
Donna of San Marcos... Wife & I volunteer at a wildlife clinic and sometimes have to rescue racoons and other animals. A local pest control company should have a live trap you can set up and bait in your attic. The last thing you want is for it to die and decompose up there.
I think back on my life before the Lord and it was difficult to love others.... now ith truly is a wonderful habit. Prayers for all and praises for answered prayers!!Have a blessed day.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:56AM CDT

good morning to all. Patricia, welcome to the UR family and thank you for your devotional contribution and the picture of you and your father. Yes, the birds, like us and all other living creatures do need to eat so that we can continue to be nourished. The Lord wants all of us to have sufficient food to eat so that we do the things that He wants us to do. He also wants us to share with others so that they will have food to eat. I notice that Joe still hasn't commented this morning and I pray that all is well with him. Sarah, thank you again for your prayers for all of us. We continue to pray for you and your children. We are supposed to have some storms this afternoon and evening and they might even include some tornados. I pray that all in the path of the storms are safe. I also pray for all who are ill today, that the Lord will heal them. Everyone take care today. I love all of you.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:12AM CDT
Comment by Gerald of Carlisle, PA

Pat, thank you so much for your devotional. My wife has bird feeders out in the yard and when Mr Squirrel or Mr Blackbird come by, I saw look at those critters eating your bird seeds. She, like your Dad said, they have to eat also. A very good reminder that no matter how big or small, we are all of God's Kingdom. Wendy, many people suffer from anxiety, a very debilitating disorder. I pray that your daughter can get he appropriate treatment.
Amen.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:13AM CDT
Comment by Brian of Amarillo, TX

I am thankful for
****
Patricia thank you for the devotional and the reminder to love beyond our circle.
****
Wendy praying for your daughter and your family. Good to hear from Yulia and lifting her and Jesse in prayer. Keep my mother in law June in prayer, she had to go to the ER yesterday with blood in her stool and they did a CAT scan and sent her home, with an appointment in late April for a colonoscopy. Praying along with Sarah and Edd this morning in lifting all needs whether spoken or unspoken. Blessings to all.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:15AM CDT
Comment by Catherine of North Texas, TX

Good morning, UR family,
Patricia, I loved your devotional this morning.
I, too, put out scraps near our creek for the wildlife. They deserve to eat, too.
Prayers for all the UR family requests as I drive around in my car for my job.
Prayer request:
DIL job to continue during her pregnancy
Son & his best friend's business plan to be a success to start their restaurant
May God Bless us as we go about our day.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:16AM CDT
Comment by dave of Manassas, VA

Good morning all UR family!
Wendy: Praying for you and your daughter. Long journey is correct, but I am an example of one who has been led away from the edge. So was Madison some time ago (she is doing fine, by the way, folks). That is one thing that your daughter needs to hear: Just because she is where she is now, that doesn't mean that she will be there tomorrow, next week, or next year. It can look really black, but time tends to bring relief if we allow God to use it for that. It also doesn't matter how she wound up this way--the important thing is for her to move forward from here. When Jesus healed, He never asked for a life history or a background check. He never looked at the "spiritual brownie point register" to see how "good" someone had been. He still does not today. He also didn't do a credit check (who could have credit where God is concerned?).
In John 9:1-3 Jesus and the disciples encountered a man blind from birth. The disciples asked, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?" Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.". That is something that you and your husband, and your daughter, can take to heart as well..
All: As an aside, consider the question from the disciples above. The man was born blind, but they asked if his sin caused him to be born that way. How was he supposed to sin while he was in his mother's womb? I wonder how often Jesus must shake His head at our complete lunacy when we ask for some things, or think some things. That's just another example of His love...may I remember that today when I encounter something really stupid. It's very easy to dump on someone because we know better...but we never know better than God, and His presence is most definitely a "no dumping" zone.
It's time to get ready for Day 2 in LV NV. Pray for me that I can be a good witness, even if all I can do is encourage.
Thank You, God, for this group of people. Please bless us with diligence, discipline, determination, and great joy today.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:16AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Slippery Rock , PA

Patricia, did I ever need this message today!! :) "Even the crows have to eat..." How true...people (and crows) are definitely not easy to love sometimes...but everyone does have to eat, and He expects us to love and feed each other equally.

God bless.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:29AM CDT

Dave, I have been praying for you as you are in Las Vegas. Encouraging is one of the best ways for others to see the Christ in You! Love to you brother!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:39AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Seattle, WA

Thankyou Patricia for your devotional. I usually try to chase the crows out of the yard in prefernece to our visiting Robins, which seem to be growing scarcer over time. I think of crows as bullies. I suppose I should appreciated them more. But I would rather not should myself.
Good words from /Raynard and I would have to add,"There are trucks in a hurry on the freeway." So,"Be careful out there," as they said on HSB. Hopefully just a couple of red lights today.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:46AM CDT
Comment by Willis of Jackson, TN

Good Morning UR Family: PATRICIA--thanks for the devotional. I also feed the birds, but have many many squirrels and they are greedy little buggers. I will try to remember that they have to eat also, just wish they would leave some for the birds.
When feeding the birds I remember when I was in Falls Church, Va visiting a friend sitting in his backyard watching the orange cardinals feeding and talking to JONE on the phone. It was when after talking for over 45 minutes I decided she was the one I would marry--that worked out GREAT.
James 1:21-27
"21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.
22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.
23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror;
24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was.
25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.
26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.
27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. "
James and John are my favorite books of the Bible.
Praying for all needs.
My finger is starting to get feeling back in it. Thanks for the prayers.
Love and light to all.
GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 08:57AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Patricia Lucksavage: Thank you for your devotional today. Here's a thought that I hope you will find beneficial as you LOVE, as God LOVES. Don't confuse HOW YOU FEEL about someone or something with HOW YOU GIVE to them in LOVE. LOVE and FEELINGS don't always go hand in hand. By this, what I mean is that we will NOT always have GOOD FEELINGS about someone when we LOVE them.
The reason for this is because, as the Scriptures above describes in 1 John 4:9-10, "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: Not that we loved God but that He loved us..."(NIV) I like to say it this: When we LOVE as God LOVES then WE GIVE To Those Around Us Without REQUIRING In Return.
Jesus didn't FEEL good about His tormentors as He gave His life on the cross, but by doing so, He was LOVING them and us, too! If you are familiar with Corrie Ten Boom's life, there is a testimony that she gave about having to confront a Nazi guard who had tortured her family while they were in one of the concentration camps. The war was over, and this man had repented and was asking forgiveness for what he had done. He did not know who Corrie was, he just needed forgiveness.
God asked Corrie to FORGIVE him. It was NOT easy, but she did. Therein was LOVE.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:19AM CDT
Comment by Ally

Lovely devotional, Patricia. I need reminding every day to love those who are hard to love. Working in case management in a prison, that is an every day thing. I try to remember that many of these guys are so broken: never received unconditional love from anyone, not even from their families. They lack the tools to cope with everyday situations, things many of us take for granted. I pray each to impart to them the love of Christ and maintain the proper boundaries. I thank God for each person in the UR community. Your posts are so encouraging as they demonstrate what God is doing in your lives. I lift up each person who asks for prayer. Wendy of Auburn ( I am from North Alabama), I lift up your daughter, because I too experience anxiety and panic disorder. I pray for swift healing and recover and for you and your husband as you care for her. Blessings to all this day!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:31AM CDT
Comment by Louise

Good Morning UR Family!
Thank you Patricia for the devotional today. Lord help me to love the bunnies who keep chewing through our garden hose. Of course bunnies are so cute how can you not love them and they are so funny they might be eight feet away but they'll stand still hoping you don't see them. Cracks me up every time.
Praying for Wendy and her daughter's anxiety. I had problems with anxiety when I was in my 20's but there is hope and I haven't had problems in literally decades. PTL!
Praying for all needs brought here today, those spoken and those unspoken.
Praises for all needs met and blessings received. Thank you Lord!!
Have a blessed day everyone!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:43AM CDT
Comment by SEDELIA of DURHAM, NC

Good morning UR family! I come again asking for prayers for 1. My pastor's daughter her name is Darlene she is having surgery today for breast cancer. 2. My grandma Patti she was just recently released from the hospital for a ruptured intestinal aneurysm. She will be 96 yrs old on Thursday. She insist on living alone although she really needs someone dependable with her. Please pray that GOD will open her eyes to this. She is stubborn. 3. Please pray for the Wynn-Croom family that lost their wife and mother recently and the Majors family.Thank you in advance. My prayers continue for all here. Be Blessed! GOD IS LOVE!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:49AM CDT
Comment by beth of saucier, MS

Patricia, enjoyed reading about your Dad's wisdom. He sounds like a wise man. It is easier to love the beautiful, not so easy to love the ugly. That includes not just appearances but also behavior.
Wendy, lifting your daughter in prayer today. May she find the courage to move forward. Praying for you and your husband as you care for her.
Echoing the prayers of Sarah and others today. May God bring you joy today.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:51AM CDT
Comment by Patricia

Dear Patricia,
Thank u very much for sharing ur stories and experiences with us!
I hope that your father lives still many many years, helping and loving all animals. This is a rare gift!
That God keep blessing him and u, with health, love and care!
All the best,
Patricia

Posted March 28, 2017 at 10:54AM CDT
Comment by Belinda of Bonney Lake, WA

Thank you for reminding us we need to show love to those "crows" in our life.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 11:10AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Good morning UR family. Thank you Patricia for the lovely devotional. I hope your Dad is still with you.
Thank you for your Prayers. Brian came home yesterday, going to be a long journey. Nothing I can't handle with Gods love, and all your prayers.
This devotional spoke to me, about loving and praying for people that dissappoint you.
Certainly saw this theses last few month. Time to move on and not waste energy when needed elsewhere.
Keeping you all in prayers,
Have a blessed day everyone.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 11:37AM CDT

Heidi, praying for you and Brian as you travel this road together. We will all be here for you. Remember that! You can come here each day as I did for many months and cried my heartache out to this family and it helped me heal. This chapel is a place of healing and prayer and know that you are very much loved, dear sister!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 12:59PM CDT
Comment by Danny of Garnett, KS

I struggle with loving everyone. I like to think I'm a good Christian, but this is one of the many areas I struggle with. I thank God that He has convicted me of this.
Thank you all for the prayers. I am trying hard to release my fears and anxieties to God. Sometimes I do good, but other times not so much. I'm learning that if I attack my anxious thoughts with prayer and scripture immediately, I have a better chance of taking every thought captive. The good thing is, I'm spending more time with God!
Would like prayers for my daughter Molly. She's been having digestive issues lately, probably associated with her celiac disease.
I love you guys. I am very much an introvert and would have a hard time opening up to others like I can here. Thanks

Posted March 28, 2017 at 03:45PM CDT
Comment by Yulia

CHERIE, thank you for your concern! Blessings to you and Ron!!!
EDD, WILLIS, sorry i totally missed your comments to me some time ago! Thank you for your prayers! Blessings to you and your families!
MONTE, my pleasure!!! And thank you for such a kind comment about me:-) God bless you and Carolyn!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 04:17PM CDT

Don, thank you for your concern. Just could not to the internet yesterday.

Posted March 28, 2017 at 06:58PM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Giving to others is not always done out of love, whether you do or do not require anything in return. Some give out of selfish motives, others out of compulsory reasons, and some out feelings of love or compassion, and in the end only God and the person giving know their true motive. Everything we do is done because of how we feel about it. Even when someone says, " I don't feel this person or that person deserves anything", they are expressing feelings. Before Jesus resurrected Lazarus the two sisters told Him if He had been there, their brother wouldn't have died. Then it says, Jesus wept. Now did Jesus do this out of feelings of compassion, or because it was purely the logical thing to do? It wasn't how Jesus felt towards His tormentors, but how He felt towards His Father.
 Is love a feeling or something that motivates a feeling? How is love without feelings, different from a robot that simply does what it's programmed to do?

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:34PM CDT

Lord Jan needs your healing hands she has alzheimer, in the hospital with a stroke or heart attack. Lord touch her. PTL Nick is home safely. Praying June's blood is controlled while she waits for her colonoscopy in late April. Praying Catherine's daughter's job is secure throughout her pregnancy. Praying that Catherine's son and his partner's business plan allows their restaurant to be successful. Lord help Grandma Patti to come to the realization assistance for her is okay and needed. Lord help Brian with his road to recovery. Lord help Molly with her digestive problems and her celiac disease. God is Love for All!!!

Posted March 28, 2017 at 07:49PM CDT