Not Giving Up

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017

Read 1 Thessalonians 4:1-3

View the Jan-Feb, 2017 Issue

Brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.

- 1 Thessalonians 4:1 (NIV)

Some months ago I joined my local church’s prayer shawl ministry and began knitting and crocheting with a group of women. In the early stages of my work with the group, my first few rows would go well, but then I would drop stitches and end up with an uneven piece. As frustrating as it was, I had to undo my work and start over. In time, with practice and focus, I am becoming a better stitcher.

Following Jesus can be like my experiences with knitting and crocheting. As we seek to grow in our relationship with God, we deal with challenges, and we do not always get it right. This is nothing new for Christians. In today’s quoted verse, the apostle Paul encouraged the believers to continue to increase their faith in God, despite the challenges they faced. The Christian journey requires persistence. We do not always get it right, but we cannot give up.

I am now in my fifth month with the prayer shawl ministry. This new calling has proven to be very fulfilling. I meet new people with whom I share many things. Though I still drop stitches and sometimes have to start over, I produce beautiful pieces that help me minister to people I have never met. My faith journey and this ministry are ongoing, and I am not giving up.

See pictures of Claudine with her friend, Diana, here.

Claudine Glasgow-Brooks (Tennessee, USA)

Being faithful to God requires persistence.

Dear God, give us the strength to continue serving you even when we don’t get it right the first time. Amen.

Prayer focusMembers of healing ministries

Claudine, good devotional, you showed determination in learning to knit and crochet to a finished product even with a dropped stitch or so along the way. Quite right when describing following Jesus faithfully even when we don't always get it right. God made us, saved us and knows we will occasionally 'drop stitches' in our walk with Him. That, of course, is when He shows His incredible, magnificent love for we, His beloved children. We tell Him we are sorry for goofing up again. He picks us up, dusts us off, tells us He forgives us and still loves us as much as ever. This is love like no one else can or will show and give. This is Amazing Grace.

Posted January 17, 2017 at 07:57AM CST

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Claudine, for your devotional this morning, and also for your participation with a prayer shawl ministry. It is true that our walk with Jesus is not always perfect, and we occasionally have times where we slip up and don’t always get it right. Praise the Lord that He is the God of the second chance. Just like you can undo some of your faulty stitches and start over again, the Lord Jesus forgives us our slip-ups, and helps us to start over again, too.
RAYNARD of Newark, DE - I am continuing in prayer for your wife. I pray that she will be able to have the surgery she needs, that the insurance will cover the complete cost, and that it will be a success. I pray that the Lord brings her full healing, and that He will pour out His blessings upon you both. * JK - I pray that everything went well with your husband’s meeting yesterday morning, and that it was not a “good-bye, your job is gone” meeting. I pray that the Lord will uphold him in his job, and that his position will be secure. If your husband’s job is outsourced, I pray that the Lord will provide him with another very good and decent-paying job soon. I continue to pray that He will also give your husband relief from all the pain he suffers with his arthritis.
JUDY of Yalaha, FL - Belated Happy 70th Birthday wishes to you yesterday! I pray that your day was a very special one, and that the Lord will bless you with many more wonderful years ahead! * EDD of Ocala, FL - I am praying for your friend, Dick Doud, whose older brother, John recently passed away. I pray that the Lord will uphold Dick and his whole family as they grieve his passing. I pray that He will pour out His love, peace, and comfort on them all.
DARREN of Ashdown, AR - I am praising the Lord that your friend, Roger, is off of the ventilator! I pray that He will continue to bring Roger full healing, and that soon he will be able to return home. I pray that He will bring strength and peace to both Roger and his wife, Denise, through all the trials they have been going through. * CHERIE of Inverness, FL - I am keeping you and your husband, Ron, in prayer each day. I pray that the Lord will lift the depression that Ron battles, and replace all negative feelings and thoughts with His joy and peace. I pray that He will bless you both with His strength and love, and that you both will cling to each promise in His Word.
DOROTHY - I am praising the Lord that your friend, Ellen, and her family are safe, and were not hurt with the tornado that came through her area earlier this week, and that her RV and property are all safe! * MONTE of Laughlintown, PA - I am praising the Lord that your daughter, Sandy, has been given a new and better position at her workplace! I pray that He will bless her with much success at this spot, and that she will also thoroughly enjoy it.
GARY of Wilmore, KY - I am praying for your wife, as a tumor has been discovered in her liver. I pray that the Lord will bring her full healing from that, and that she will continue to feel and do fine. I pray that He will dissolve this tumor, and that she will not need any surgery. * LOUISE - I am praying for your children, three of whom you recently heard from, and they are going through some rough times. I pray that the Lord will uphold them in each of their specific situations, and meet each of their needs. I pray He will bless both you and them with wisdom and peace.
DEBRA of Santa Fe, NM - I am so glad that you joined us, and posted here yesterday on this UR site. I am lifting you in special prayer, that the Lord will carry you and your son through this time, following your divorce. I pray that He will lift you from the depression you are having, and fill you with His love and joy. I pray, too, that He will help you to lose some of the weight you wish to, and give you strength and energy. Please know that you are loved, both by the Lord, and by us here in this UR chapel. * PATRICIA of Laurelton, NY - Happy 22nd birthday wishes to your son, Ekow, tomorrow! I pray that he has a fantastic day, and that the Lord will bless him with many more wonderful years!
CONNIE - I am praying for your husband, Ben, as he has the flu, a kidney infection, and inflammation in his hip. I pray that the Lord will bring him full healing to each of these conditions. I pray that all treatment and medications his doctors are giving will be effective, and that he will be doing much better real soon, and able to return to his duties as a pastor. * LEAH - I am praying for your friends, the Schultz family, and the Lanier family. I pray that the Lord will meet each of their specific needs according to His riches in glory. I pray that He will bring healing and meet any financial or emotional needs they may have.
DON of Ozark, MO - I am praying that your computer service at your home will be able to be restored, and at little or no cost to yourself. I am glad that you are able to use the computer at the senior center where you work, even if only briefly. * BETH of Saucier, MS - I am praying for your daughter, Gabby, who is down with the flu and high fever. I pray that the Lord will bring her full healing. I pray that any medication she is taking will be effective, that she is able to get all the rest she needs, and that she will be feeling better real soon.
HARLAN of Cullman, AL - I am praising the Lord that you are back home again, following your surgery earlier this month! I pray that He will continue to bring you total healing, and that you will make a complete, full recovery. * JENA of New Orleans - I am holding you in prayer, that the Lord will put His hedge of protection around you, and keep you safe from all of Satan’s attacks. I pray that the Lord’s angels will surround you and protect you. I am also praying that you will be able to get good and Godly counseling to help you with the spiritual battles you face. I also pray that the Lord will bring you physical healing, and that He will provide for all of your financial needs, and ensure that you always have enough to keep a roof over your head and food on your table.

Posted January 17, 2017 at 09:37PM CST
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning to all. Happy Wednesday! Thanks for your devotional, Claudine. You have greatly encouraged me with your message of not giving up. God knows just what we need and when we need it. Thanks again.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 12:21AM CST
Comment by Betty of federal way, WA

Thanks for participating in the Prayer Shawl Ministry. I pray that these shawls represent much needed prayers from the knitter and warm hugs from God.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 12:26AM CST

Claudine, thank you for the reading and the service work you are doing. Years ago one of my regulars at the restaurant knitted a shawl for my mother and I was amazed at 101 years old she was still knitting. Sarah, praying for your financial needs to be met. JK, praying for your husband's health and his job, stress does not help when you are sick. Cherie, praying for Ron with his depression and you as you care for him. Raynard, praying for your wife to get the surgery needed. Gary, praying for healing of the tumor on your wife's liver. Linda, continued prayers for your anxiety and depression. Judy, belated happy birthday, I did make it Facebook official yesterday lol. New Garden Bar roll out went well yesterday, today is the big visit from all the corporate people and unfortunately they probably won't come till 7 or 8pm and we have inventory at 6am so going to be a long day. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 01:06AM CST
Comment by Julie of India

Good Morning Upper Room Family. Thank you Claudine for your devotional today.
Thank you Lord for holding our hand and guide us when we fell down and went the wrong way in life.
RAYNARD of Newark, DE- praying for your wife.
JUDY of Yalaha, FL- Belated a very happy birthday!!! God bless you with joy, peace, happiness; May God bless you & keep you safe
EDD of Ocala, FL praying for your friend Dick as he is mourning the death of his older brother John.
DARREN of Ashdown, AR PTL!!! that your friend Roger is not required ventilator. God give him strength as he is battling against life.
GARY of Wilmore, KY praying for your wife as there is tumor in her liver. I praying God for her full recovery.
CONNIE, praying for you husband Ben as he suffering from Flu, a kidney infection, and inflammation in his hip. i pray god will bring healing to each and every part of his body which cause him to pain.
 BETH of Saucier, MS Dear i lifting your daughter Gabby, i pray god healed her completely.

Cherie, Dear i can feel your pain and yes its quite difficult to maintain positive environment when our loved ones surrounded with depression. i lifting you both in my prayer i pray God that Ron feels your love, peace and comfort and his all depression will melt away.
Sarah i am lifting your family in my prayer.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 02:14AM CST
Comment by raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Claudine for your devotional. My wife is a "crafter and sewing person. I dont even bother her anymore or have to " send her to her room. It's full of materila, two sewing machine and a tv to keep her comany along with " visits from our dogs". She's in a swap group online and they exchange stuff they made. Asking for a different kind of prayer. Prayer for whoever in my apartment complex just got their car reposessed. It's sad someone has to wake up this morning and not be able to go to work and find a way. I had a vehicle repossed years ago after the seperation of me and my first wife. But God made a way for me to get it back and pay it off.. It wasnt fun the day of my divorce when the just said" Where is the title to your vehicle. When I gave it to her and she passed it over to my x wife, all I could her is Ray Charles's song" Hit the road Jack'.. I digress. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken prayer request. Be blessed and encouraged everyone and have a great day..

Posted January 18, 2017 at 02:35AM CST
Comment by Willis of Jacksonville, FL

Good Morning UR Family: CLAUDINE--thanks for the devotional. There are some ladies in my Church in Tenn that do prayer shawls and it is a wonderful ministry. Each shawl is prayed over and given to someone that needs lifting up/prayer.
Yesterdays devotional was about miracles--My first wife Mary Lou that I was married to for 44 years had a stroke while having a routine arteriogram. The Doctor messed up and severed one of her main arteries in her head and 1/2 of her head bled out. The hospital airlifted her from Macon, Ga to Emory Hospital in Atlanta. The Doctors there are some of the best and they showed me x-rays and other film of her head and brain and told me there was less than 1% chance of her every waking up and none to have any kind of life. I was at her bedside for about 45 days just being with her and talking to her and holding her hand. The Doctors continued to tell me there was no hope--then one day she moved her right hand as if she were writing something and I asked her if she wanted a pencil and paper -- which I gave her. Realize she had been in a coma for over 45 days just on IV and blood thinner. She wrote in the tinyist letters that I have ever seen " I love you". That was the first time she had shown any brain activity since the operation. She went thru about 6 months of therapy in the hospital, at a rehab center and at home but was able to talk and converse almost normally. She was able to walk from her bedroom to the bathroom by herself and feed herself when the food was in front of her. She still needed to be transported by wheelchair and couldn't walk very far by herself ( she was still paralyzed on her left side with no use of her left hand at all). She was able to interact with her previous friends and lead a restricted life. She died two years later of a stroke, but
GOD had provided a MIRACLE and gave her 2 1/2 years and me some humility and taught me patience and humbleness while I cared for her during that time. Neither man nor medicine cured her--ONLY GOD WAS ABLE TO.
Thought I would share this miracle with you.
Praying for all that they too would experience GOD'S mercy and a Miracle.
GOD bless everyone.
GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 03:04AM CST
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

‘Live and please God.’ The will of God is our sanctification (including not fornicating).
Claudine, thank you, for linking knitting with growing in relationship with God. My father was a knitter—mittens, etc. I still have some of them forty-five years after his death. Just yesterday Carolyn suggested that I might take up knitting to better use some of my spare time. I have a snacking problem.
Praying with the thought for the day in mind, ‘Being faithful to God requires persistence.’ Prayers for those who participate in healing ministries. It reminds me that all of us in some way participate in the healing of others—some positively and some negatively.
Remembering in prayer those who express or exemplify special needs on this site--and in our national spotlight. May God bless their lives in powerful ways!!
Praise God for the blessings of every day –for this area, especially warm January weather accompanied with precipitation (not snow).
Thanks Raynard and Willis for sharing meaningful true stories. God loves good storytellers who share powerful messages and lift our spirits.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 04:14AM CST

Praise God from whom all blessings flow~~~~
Willis thank you for sharing that miracle! Wow. What a blessing indeed.
Claudine thank you for the message today and reminding us that we can start over as many times as needed with His love and support encouraging us all along the way....little by little, stitch by stitch. Thank you and your friends for the shawl ministry.
I echo and thank Sarah for the prayers.
Julie thank you for your prayers as well.
George praises that the "opening day" went well and I pray for perseverance for today's long agenda. I pray that the "visit" will go beyond all expectations and you will be acknowledged for all of your contributions to this new(for you) location. Praises you have this job and ability to get it up and running.
Thank you for the prayers for my husband and the meeting. It was nothing more than a "we have not met in a long time, how are things going?" meeting. Thankful for that and for his job remaining intact and secure for the time being. Praises, praises and more praises for that!
Be blessed one and all.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 04:30AM CST
Comment by CARMEN of Longwood, FL

PRAISE THE LORD, GLORY AND HONOR BE TO OUR DIVINE CREATOR REDEEMER COMFORTER. OH HOLY HOLY HOLY. JESUS LIVES REIGNS AND IS COMING, THANK YOU JESUS, HOLY SPIRIT. ABIDE IN US FOREVER. AMEN HALLELUJAH AMEN.
 My dearest Sarah. Thanks for your constant care for others. Keeping you and Lucy and Albert attached to The Holy Cross of Jesus. OH. GOD LOVES YOU, sure He does, and so do I.
Hey lovely Cherie., please., don't overlook your own needs. Remind Ron how much God loves and cares for him. God loves Ron so much that He has given him the perfect wife. Yet, once in a while., you can remind Ron that he might help you, I mean, you are so important for both of you. FOLLOW DOCTOR'S ADVICE. PROTECT YOUR HEALTH, ,at this moment especially your eyesight. I'm praying for both of you. Blessings!
Love blessings and deepest gratitude for all.
I went yesterday to my primary dr. He ordered a CT scan and Echo-card, which I'll be having today and changed the antibiotic plus prescribed Prednisone. Dr. Lopez is also giving me sample asthma medications. God bless him and Stephen, the case manager who has even given me his personal cell phone#. Well, God is awesome, He loves me more than anybody else. THANK YOU PAPA

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:06AM CST
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! Thank you, Claudine, for sharing the message to keep trying. I don't know how to crochet, but I have some knitting experience, so I'd like to comment in that direction, at least.
As I got better at knitting, it became evident that I didn't have to tear out the whole work to "start over," I only had to go back to the point where I'd made the mistake. Thus, any good work that I'd completed was not lost (and it wasn't just "a matter of time" before I'd have to start over)!
Some experienced knitters can even "rework" or "work a dropped stitch up" to repair the piece.
In some ways I like that parallel, too, that maybe as we grow in Christ, our relationship grows and our skill in remedying our errors, so all previous growth is not lost. Although we must still humble ourselves, and repentance is still needed, bit by bit we learn.
Also, like knitting, we learn to avoid the more common errors.
At least this has been my experience, although I am certainly not claiming sainthood, and I do ask for forgiveness, and help through times of trial.
I pray with you all as I read your prayer petitions and I pray for those who don't put words to their needs today.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:32AM CST
Comment by panzarona of jamaica, NY

GOOD MORNING ! CLAUDINE , thank you for this stitching devotional . It is very frustrating to drop a stitch or get to a certain point in your project and realize you have MESSED UP ! Praise God that he allows us to Start over again . If we make an error we can GET BACK UP AGAIN ! He forgives us ! Thank You Jesus ! God BLESS you and all members in Prayer Shawl Ministries ! WILLIS , oh what a testimony ! MIRACLE working God ! RAYNARD , so happy you didn't let a negative situation separate you from God . I never stop being amazed at your Faithfulness and love of JESUS in the face of adversity . HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JUDY and EKOW ! 🍰 CARMEN , I pray for your healing . GEORGINE , I pray you are feeling better . I enjoy your daily comments . Praying for Those those in the area of the earthquake in ITALY near ROME . BLESSED SAFE DAY EVERYONE !

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:33AM CST
Comment by Elizabeth of Belmont, NC

Good morning UR Family! Thank you Claudine, for this devotional and your ministry. We never know how our gifts and words will help someone, but God does.Thank you Lord for your patience with us. Praying for all of you . Amen.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:35AM CST
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Ha! I just realized that people are sometimes more impressed when they see a small error in knitted clothing, because it is evidence that the garment was hand-made by a human.
May those who see our errors see that we are trying to learn and grow, and be themselves encouraged, too.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:35AM CST
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Good morning UR family, Claudine, thank you for your devotional today. I love the scripture chosen. I am keeping all in prayer today.....I miss everyone. Love and prayers to all....Blessings

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:36AM CST

Claudine, thank you for this devotion, and for the impact you and your group make in the lives of people who are undergoing prolonged treatments, grief, or other times when a shawl is no less than the feeling of knowing God is with you. My wife and her friends gather twice a month to knit shawls. Once a month, our church also conducts a worship service for residents of 4-5 nursing homes, who come in their vans and buses on 1st Wed. afternoons. For our December service, each of the 30-50 guests was given a prayer shawl to take with them to help bring them joy and feel our love during Christmas. I would not have missed the looks on their faces. I do a service in a nursing facility every Monday, so I have a sense of the daily stresses and loneliness, and it is emotional to be there in some way when they need 'Jesus with skin on Him'. My FIL died several years ago from kidney failure, and he received a shawl early in his journey with this, and he and the shawl were inseparable. Praise God for the shawls, and even those with a dropped stitch!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:38AM CST
Comment by Amy of Harrison, TN

Claudine, Thank You for your message today. Although I know this, I really needed to hear it as I tend to "drop stitches" a lot! I know God will never kick us to the curb and always forgives. It seems each time He picks me up I am in a better place than before!
You also brought back some wonderful memories of my Grandmother (Dad's Mom). She was in a group at the retirement center where she lived that crocheted lap robes and afghans for the needy. She amazed me at the way her fingers could fly despite the arthritis that had her hands in knots. She did this until just before she died at 94. My Dad would laugh that her fingers went almost as fast as her mouth. She loved to talk! There was even an article written about her in a local retirement publication.
Thank You again for the message and the memories!
My love and prayers for each and every one here!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 05:55AM CST

Good Morning UR family and Claudine, thank you for this devotional. I know how to crochet but it is only granny squares. I have not progressed beyond that and I have to admit I stopped because of frustration. It is on the someday I would like to do again list.
Raynard- Praying for Mary that the insurance company will cover her shoulder surgery in full and that she will have a 100% recovery.
JK- PTL that your husbands meeting with his boss was only " we have not met in a long time,how are things going?"
Sarah- Keeping you, Lucy and Albert in my prayers.
George- Praying that all goes well with your boss's visit tonight.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not.
Have a great day UR family:)

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:06AM CST
Comment by Brent of West Monroe, LA

Good morning everyone and thank you Claudine for your devotional today. Also thank you for serving and reminding me that if I stumble our Lord is there to pick me up. I pray everyone will have a great day. Be Safe and God Bless!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:14AM CST
Comment by Dorothy

Good Morning UR family. Thank you Claudine for your devotional this morning. PTL that JK's husbands meeting with his 'boss' was just a sort of touching base with him and his co-worker and nothing more. A huge relief I'm sure. Prayer request for my daughter's former SIL, CINDY, who begins chemo-today for stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Miracles do happen and I pray for one for CINDY. I am not a political person, but I do pray that this country comes together on the eve of the new presidents inaugeration, that this ceremony happens happens peacefully and the hatred that has been shown recently for the pres. elect subsides. Remember to respect the office if not the person. Prayers for our country and for all who request them whether spoken or silently.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:17AM CST

Good morning to all the UR Family God loves you and so do I. Praise the Lord!!! Claudine, thanks for the scripture and your devotional. I would be in so much trouble if God didn't forgive and dust this crusty ole man off and give him another chance about 20 times a day if not more. I am learning and growing all day everyday, been doing it now for 43-years and will continue until the day I die. Continuing to pray for Roger and Denise. Happy birthday to Judy and Ekow. Praying for strength for Cherie and control of Ron's depression, love you both lady. Paulette and Joe thanks for the kind words. Praying for Debra, her grandchildren and her son to find peace and healing. Praying for Connie's husband to get over the flu, his kidney infection and the inflammation in his hip. Lord help Gabby girl through the flu. Lord help Raynard's wife get her surgery scheduled. Lord take care of Gary's wife's liver tumor. Praying for all the UR Family to experience the comfort of God's love and healing. Thanks for all the prayers for the Douds. God is Love 4 all!!!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:29AM CST

Good morning UR family! Such a nice devotional from Claudine this morning! Yes, I know I am a work in progress, but Jesus is molding me each day! Thank you, sister for reminding me! Love to you and for all the people who receive your shawls!
Julie, in India, thank you sweet sister for your thoughts and prayers for Ron and I. We had a nice long talk and we both are much better. He is blue I think from the weather being so warm and he wants cool weather! It seems as he ages he becomes more child like. I had always heard this, but now I see it. I keep you in my prayers as you decide where you want to be. Love to you, dear one!
Carmen, yes, I do have to remind myself to consider my feelings too. That was one of the things we talked about yesterday. He agreed! Yesterday was a much better day! I know we will have our good and bad days I just needed a little love from my family here! Y'all help me so much! I love you, sister! Praying for you as you heal. So glad you found a caring doctor!
Raynard, I am praying for you and Mary. You make me smile every morning! Love to you both!
George, glad the salad bar went well and I will be praying for you as you meet with the "big wigs"! Love to you and Bethanne!
JK, happy to hear your husband's meeting went well. I pray his job will stay safe and he will find relief from his arthritis pain! Keeping your daughter in my prayers too! Love to you, sister!
I thank all of you for your prayers yesterday! They worked! I love you all!
Willis, I loved hearing about your first wife and her miracle of writing I love you after a massive stroke and bleeding on the brain! I keep you and Jone in my prayers each day! Love to you, brother!
Kathy, so happy to see you back. I am praying for you to find a good job and get your internet back. Keeping the sons and grandsons in my prayers! Kisses to the furry kids! Love to you!
Everyone have a beautiful day! Love and Light!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:43AM CST
Comment by Paulette of Miami, OK

Thank you, Claudine, for your devotional today, and what a wonderful ministry you at involved in.

Joe, your post is so very, very reassuring...and indeed, this is Amazing Grace!

Willis, thank you for sharing the miracle in your life with your first wife. What a beautiful post.

Raynard, praying for whomever it was whose car was repossessed. That happened to me at a young and ignorant time in my life...lesson learned.

JK, so very happy your husband's meeting was a good one! Praise God!

Carmen, so good to see your 'Songs of Praise' you share with us with your words! Praying for your healing. :)

Susan...love your knitting comparison, especially your second post.

Kathy...miss you, too. Praying your employment situation is getting better.

Sarah, thank you for your faithfulness in praying for us.

Prayers for all who posted, and those in the balcony.

God bless all here today!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:45AM CST

Father God thank You that you are always willing to forgive us when we falter. Thank you for giving us second, third, fourth etc. chances. Help us when we fall to always look to you. We pray today for those fighting cancer. We pray for peace in our country and in the world. Bring healing to our country. Place compassion in the hearts of those who govern. Shower your grace upon our president elect so that he can be a Godly man who makes decisions that are pleasing to you. Be Thou our vision. IJN Amen.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:47AM CST
Comment by Paulette of Miami, OK

Dorothy, I echo your prayers in your post...praying for a peaceful Inauguration Day, and prayers for our president-elect.

Cherie, such good news that yesterday was a better day for you and Ron. Still praying for both of you.

Echoing your prayers, Edd.

I just want to thank the Upper Room staff for their work, and for the UR allowing us to share with each other. This family is very special.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:50AM CST
Comment by Karen of Jackson, MS

Good morning UR family. Thank you Claudine for the devotional. I to knit and have learned how to pick up dropped stiches. It is so good to know that God forgives us for our ungodly behavior. Happy belated Birthday Judy, I was on my soap box about miracles and forgot yesterday. JK I'm so glad everything went well for your husband. GEORGE congratulations on the opening of the new section in the restaurant, you got this, it's a walk in park for you. Willis that was a wonderful testimony about your wife. Prayers to all needs spoken and unspoken. Be Blessed!🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:50AM CST
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

God bless us all today and always. Thank you Claudine for your analogy between your experience in your "Prayer Shawl Ministry" and the Christian journey. I am so thankful that my salvation from a life of sin includes grace and mercy as an ongoing opportunity for growth and development into what God has called me to be. God knows all about us including what it takes to move us from point (a) to point (b) to point (c) and so on as we are being made in the image of Jesus, our Savior and the Son of God.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:57AM CST
Comment by Karen of Jackson, MS

I have a PS, pray for the leaders of our country. What they are exemplifying is less than godly and this make me sad.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 06:58AM CST
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Good morning dear UR family! Thank you, Claudine, for this encouraging message. I needed to hear the importance of recognizing our "dropped stitches", backing up, and making it right. Also, how keeping the Lord close and in our mind. I am off to get ready for work. Have a blessed day everyone!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 07:01AM CST

"Being faithful to God requires persistence."...
Amen!
Claudine...good morning in Tennessee. Welcome to the UR. Thank you for your inspiring devotional and the work you do with the prayer shawl ministry.
UR Family...good morning. It's a rainy morning in the River Valley.
Charlie peeked out back door decided not to chase Brown Rabbit this morning. lol
Boy, I'm glad. He went to the groomers yesterday, and he is shinny white today! Don't want to redo the bath!
Sarah...good morning. Thank you for your faithful prayers. Praying with you for each one listed. And you and your family. Thank you for lifting my family in prayer.
Judy...happy 70th birthday! You're now in the 'wonder' years! Enjoy every day!
Cherie...Charlie sends you bunches of doggy kisses (clean ones!) to help you feel better.
Willis...thank you for sharing your testimony. Blessings to you...
May we all have persistence in our faith walk...

Posted January 18, 2017 at 07:02AM CST
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Good morning UR family. Thank you Claudine for your devotional and not giving up. How nice of you to knit a prayer shawl. I am sure many prayers where knitted into the shawl.
Nice to see a post from Kathy, miss you and Sheila.
Prayers for Cherrie and Ron and all others that suffer from depression.
Raynard, praying for Mary to move forward with the right surgeon.
Ed, keeping your friend in prayer,
Have a blessed day everyone.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 07:13AM CST
Comment by Marsha of Bangs, TX

Praise God for another day!
Thank you Claudine for your devotional today! I love to crochet and I participated in making crocheted mats for homeless people out of plastic shopping bags.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5
Thank you for your prayers URF!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day dancing with Jesus!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 07:25AM CST
Comment by Terry of Dublin, OH

Thanks Claudia for your message and reminding us that no matter what we feel our limitations may be God has equipped us with many skills and talents. Some of these talents may be used at different times in our lives. Where two or more believers are gathered so will I be. Whether it is knitting or playing cards if more than one Christian is gathered we can be assured God is also present. I can imagine the spiritual discussions and joy that come your knitting meetings, glad you could join and hang in there. Overcoming our weaknesses or faults is a main part of our spiritual path. I know I have many and am glad I have God who not only over looks them but in some cased uses them to either my or others benefit. I pray we all join a group that promotes God within our lives, while helping us to improve our faults. I pray for all in need this day as requested by prayer

Posted January 18, 2017 at 07:59AM CST
Comment by Jena of New Orleans, LA

Heavenly Father I bless your holy and most high name. Father God, I am troubled by a wicked man, who is attempting to have me, your wife....and that's just not gonna happen, in Jesus holy name. 1 Corinthians 5 - 1. It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his FATHER'S WIFE. 2. And ye are PUFFED UP, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done THIS DEED might be TAKEN away from among you. 3. For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have JUDGED already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 5. To DELIVER such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. That old serpent the devil, has attempted to thrust at me setting me up with a rotten curse of a tare. It's a terrible growing pain, that needs to be killed at its root, and it's originator destroyed and killed too, for the sake of your holy, and most high name. I pray that you would save me from the blood, and seat of Saul, and thrust him out of my life FOREVER, in Jesus Christ of Nazareth holy name. Luke 9 - 42. And as he was yet a coming, the devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father. Have mercy upon me father God, for you stated that your mercy endureth forever, in Jesus holy name. Please don't cause me to suffer this shame from my adversary Saul, in Jesus holy name. I am of the LINEAGE, and BLOOD LINE of DAVID, and NOTHING else will ever suffice, or be GOOD enough, in Jesus holy name. With that being said, I am asking that you cleanse my blood from that of Satans cursed blood. The thoughts alone are very troubling to me father God. Have mercy upon me father God, and kill this root of filth that has sprung up within me, choking my root, even with the blade in my ear 👂🏼 being evil, hearing things that are of the kingdom of the devil. Matthew 13 - 38. The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; 39. The ENEMY that SOWED them is the DEVIL; the harvest is the end of the WORLD; and the reapers are the angels. 40. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. I pray for the destruction of my enemy "the devil",who planted this tare on me in my sleep, in Jesus name. I am praying that you follow through with the destruction of my enemy who has troubled my soul, and my home, in Jesus holy name. All these things I ask in the sweet name of Jesus Christ, your son. Amen.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:22AM CST
Comment by Jena of New Orleans, LA

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:27AM CST
Comment by Susan

My sister was in a very bad car accident in which her husband was killed several years ago in Washington. When I visited her for the second time in the hospital someone had knit a beautiful rose colored prayer shawl and left it for her. I used it as a blanket when I stayed there with her in her hospital room. It was very comforting and very encouraging. Thank you so much for whoever is involved in this beautiful healing ministry of knitting or crocheting prayer shawls!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:29AM CST
Comment by Jena of New Orleans, LA

SAUL, and Joe.....your BLOOD is just NOT good enough for me. It HOLDS NO POWER, and I don't ever want it for any heritage of mine! With that being said....I command you to stay away from my HOME, and my LIFE, now and FOREVER MOORE, in Jesus HOLY NAME. Leviticus 17 - 11. For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:30AM CST

Merry, thank you so much for your prayers and kind words! I can feel little Charlie's wet kisses already! I just love to hear about him and Brown Rabbit because it brings back wonderful memories of Luci! I still miss her every day! Love to you and Gerald! Hugs and kisses to the little guy who guards the back gate! Our famous rabbit dog, Charlie!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:31AM CST
Comment by Fran of Spring, TX

Good Morning UR Family,
The church where I work is also making crocheted mats for the homeless out of plastic shopping bags. What an amazing project! Praying for all needs spoken and unspoken. My daughter is doing better in her finances, Praise the Lord! She is starting back to school soon (college) so please pray for success in her classes. Please pray that my middle son, Morgan will come to realize that he needs to go back to college to finish his education so that he can get a better job than Wal-Mart. We just want him to not have to struggle as we did without a college education. God will make a way. Thank you for your prayers and have a blessed day!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:35AM CST
Comment by Jena of New Orleans, LA

1 Chronicles 29 - 9. Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with PERFECT HEART they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy. 10. Wherefore David BLESSED the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever. 11. Thine, O LORD, is the GREATNESS, and the POWER, and the GLORY, and the VICTORY, and the MAJESTY: for all that is IN the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as HEAD above ALL. 13. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. 17. I know also, my God, that thou triest the HEART, and hast pleasure in UPRIGHTNESS . As for me, in the uprightness of MINE HEART I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee. 18. O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the IMAGINATION of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee: 20. And David said to all the congregation, Now bless the LORD your God. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:44AM CST
Comment by Michele of Slippery Rock , PA

Claudine, thank you for sharing this message of perseverance! It can be frustrating when you try so hard and yet end up having to go "back to the drawing board." Fortunately, He is there with us every step of the way!

God bless!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:47AM CST

Good morning UR family and thank you Claudine for the bible reading and the comments. I really like the part where you stated that we do not always get it right but we do not give up, man! how correct you are! I can sew but knitting and crocheting.....hmmm have tried but😞. I do attempt sometimes though 😊especially when my Library offers it in its programs.Willis, I am so encouraged by the miracle story you shared about your first wife, thank you. Thank you Sarah, Panzarona and Edd for your birthday wishes to my Ekow will pass them on to him. Panzarona, I didn't see you here in a bit, I pray all is well with you. Praying for all requests presented on Sarah's list and praying for Cindy as she begins chemo for the cancer, may our Miracle God breathe healing into her body according to His loving kindness. Sarah you and Albert and Lucy are always in my prayers, thank you for your faithful prayers for us all. JK, thanks be to God that your husband's meeting was a joyful one. A blessed and pleasant day everyone.😇🌻🌼😊

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:52AM CST
Comment by Diana of Long Beach, CA

Good morning UR Family, may you all have a blessed day. Thank you, Claudine, for a wonderful devotional. My mother crocheted, she's no long with us but her works surround me daily with love.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:53AM CST

Good morning UR Family. Claudia, a wonderful work you and your knitting group are doing. They bring so much comfort to the person receiving them. Willis enjoyed your sharing of your first wife's recovery. God does perform miracles and your wife was one. Praise be to God. JK so happy to read that all turned out so good with the meeting yesterday with your husband and his boss, praise God for answered prayers. George, sounds like you will be having a long day, but God will be with you and I know all will end well. Prayers for our country as the day of inauguration is getting closer, my prayers for smooth and peaceful day. "ASK"

Posted January 18, 2017 at 08:57AM CST

Edd, and thank you. Blessings.
Paulette, thank you very much. Amazing grace, no doubt about it, we need to shout it.
Jena, powerful scripture, blessings.
Blessings, Kathy. Lifting you in prayer, for your job and every need.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 09:31AM CST
Comment by beth of saucier, MS

Claudine, thank you for today's message. Our church also has a prayer shawl ministry. It is such a beautiful service these ladies perform. I am not part of the group--I can't sew, knit, crochet, etc. The one time I tried to sew a dress, I broke the sewing machine. After the repair bill, my Mom suggested I stick with cooking! Thank you for the prayers for Gabby. She is some better, can't stand to see my grandbaby sick. Prayers going out for all needs mentioned today. Have a great Wednesday.

Posted January 18, 2017 at 10:35AM CST
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Claudine Glasgow-Brooks: Thank you for your devotional today. I'm going to share some Perspectives with you in hopes that you will find them beneficial. There are some differences in what Paul wrote in his letters versus what Jesus said. For example, Jesus Prayed, in John 17:15,17, " My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."(NIV)
Paul, on the other hand, was still so affected by LIVING according to the Law that he advocated NOT being equally yoked with unbelievers. In 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, Paul talks about "not touching unclean things" And he talked about righteousness versus lawlessness, as if we could only be righteous by our WORKS. And yet, God had revealed to PETER that what He has CLEANED, NOT to call unclean(Acts 10:15)
Paul, also talks about fornication; that we should abstain from it. Can you imagine Paul trying to say THAT to Abraham or Solomon? They would probably say something like, " What do you mean abstain from sex? That's why I have my Concubines! They're there for my pleasure, and children. Sounds like a personal problem to me, Paul."
In defense of Paul, however, he wrongly believed that Jesus was coming back during his lifetime, and so he didn't see any need for sex. The establish Catholic church, on the other hand, later picks up on this and tries to live by this code, but we all know what a tragedy that has been! Don't get me wrong though, I believe that two people devoted to each other is a lot better than one of them trying to have multiple partners: There are a lot headaches with that. Just look at what happen with Sarah, Abraham and Hagar, and it was Sarah's idea!
In your prayer you wrote, "...give us the strength to continue serving you even when we don't get it right the first time." What is it that you are trying to GET RIGHT? The two greatest Commandments that Jesus told us about has to do with LOVING God first, and our neighbor as our self.
Jesus defined LOVE for us by the way He LIVED: He GAVE Of Himself To Those Around Him Without REQUIRING In Return. That is all that God is ASKING us to do!

Posted January 18, 2017 at 12:46PM CST
Comment by Scott of Huntington Station,, NY

Hi UR members from the balcony.

Claudine, I used to watch my mother knit, and like you, she had to "rip out" back to a certain spot so that she could proceed with the pattern. Thanks for your devotional.

I got the AARP Bulletin (Jan/Feb 2017) about a week ago, and it lists a part-time virtual Job Fair on pg 12 that will occur Jan 26 from 11am to4pm. One can register online at aarp.org/parttimeworkfair. Maybe this will be helpful for those (like me) with a "couple of mile on the odometer! (I don't know what time zone is listed above)

May you be blessed.