Moved with Compassion

Monday, August 3rd, 2015

Read Matthew 9:35-38

View the July-August, 2015 Issue

When [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

- Matthew 9:36 (NIV)

Scrunched in the seat of a pedal rickshaw in India, I observed the masses of humanity pressed together on the narrow street. The sound of horns, the smell of fumes, and the sight of chaotic bustling overwhelmed my senses. Struck by the scene, I wondered what God thought while looking at such a crowd. Then I thought of Matthew 9:36: “When Jesus saw the crowd, he had compassion on them.”

Jesus’ response to the people revealed the vision of God. The word

compassion

in Greek indicates a gut-wrenching burden for people. That burden led Jesus to send his followers on a mission to engage the “harassed and helpless.” Jesus wanted his followers to reach those who are suffering.

Viewing this crowd of people led me to pray for them and moved me to deep compassion. I was propelled into action. As our rickshaw slowly maneuvered its way through the crowds, I wondered what our world would be like if every Christ-follower were to pray for those who are suffering and then to act with compassion as Jesus commands.

Read more from the author, here.

Leslie Anne Neal Segraves (Tennessee, USA)

I want to see the world through God’s eyes of compassion.

Dear Jesus, give us a compassion that moves us to see others through your eyes. Send us to serve those who are suffering. Amen.

Prayer focusTHE PEOPLE OF INDIA

Leslie, so right: ' if every Christ-follower were to pray for those who are suffering and then to act with compassion as Jesus commands.'. We need to be prompted somehow by God to see the hurt, suffering, and dire needs experienced by so much of the world including our USA, the richest country in the world. My wake up cal came when our Men's Ministry started caring and feeding the homeless in our 'prosperous' town. I also equate your above copied statement to this - If every day each Christian would tell one person that Jesus loves them and died for them, what a blessing that would be to the speaker, the spoken to and the world.

Posted August 02, 2015 at 07:38AM CDT
Comment by Tommie of Dayton, TN

I must say that when I think of going to a foreign country, I imagine staying in a nice hotel and eating exotic fruit. The thought of getting out among the people is daunting. Sometimes I'm impressed to google a person and when I did, I found Leslie on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LNS1040. She has such a happy smile! I can only surmise that it comes from serving others.

The reason I knew about Adam and his sorrow was because someone else mentioned it. We all cooperate that way.

Ed of Shalimar, FL, God does work in mysterious ways His wonders to perform! I never thought of myself as an air conditioner technician. If I weren't retired, I could add that to my resume. :)

Three years ago, Adam had a beautiful day. I can hope that will be true of all of the UR family.
Comment by adam of Dublin, OH
Good Morning God and UR family. Another day warm and wonderful with You. Let me today love with all I am, and I will let You be the Love I strive to be. Your beauty in my life is like a never ending garden. So filled with peace and beauty. A place of rest and restoration for my soul. A place I go throughout my day when the world is just too much. That is where I find myself this morning with You. May the day be filled with You, beautiful You. Hear my song of love and thankfulness for all You are in my life. I can't wait to see what the day holds with You. I love and need You so much.
Posted August 02, 2012 at 07:33AM CDT
Comment by adam of Dublin, OH
Good Night God and UR family what a beautiful day You gave me today. There simply are not enough days like this one, in my life. You gave me such a lift, like I got my wings early. You encouraged me to spread them and take to the air. I not thinking twice, took a leap of faith and was airbourne taking flight into Your blue skies. Your hands setting me free to fly, to rise above all the things that weigh me down. Could there ever be anything as wondrous and powerful as You in my life. Like the wave that crashes over the beach your love is constantly calling to me. A perfect and simple song that never goes unspoken but crashes over me, again and again pulling me toward You always. Truly a love that we search for our entire lives, that is so pure and true, it can only come from You, beautiful You. If I tried to describe I might say something like, You are the one who remains unseen but is everywhere. You give a love that is without form but is the shape of all I see. Your beautiful voice that many can not hear, yet when You whisper my name my heart skips a beat, my pulse races and I raise my face to meet Yours and realize that all that is not suppose to be You are, perfect, beautiful, amazing, radiant, life transforming You. That might be how I would describe You and how You love me.
  The night has fallen here, the heat of day remains to remind me of challenges that many are still under from the day. The search for many continues, however, tonight, I am seeking You as I wander into the night, with my eyes focused towards the heavens. I know that is where I will find You, in the light of each star, the shimmering of the moon, and the shadows that are cast by Your radiance light. I love the night as it allows me to focus just on the light You place in my life. The light of love and mercy, that You cast off, glows with warmth and beauty, sealing my soul to You. How I long each night to walk with You. To experience Your beauty, to calm my mind and refresh my soul in Your peace, the kind of peace that transcends my understanding. Tonight I will reach out to You and I will know You are there by the tender touch You will provide to my soul. As I walk beneath the heavens with You. I so deeply love You. Thank You for loving me.
Posted August 02, 2012 at 09:18PM CDT

Posted August 02, 2015 at 10:18AM CDT
Comment by raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Leslie Anne for your devotional and blog.. It was 28 years ago while stationed in Turkey. The base and airfield were I was assigned was located in the town of Sinop.. I use to watch almost everyday while at work at the airfield, the family of gypies washing their clothes in a runoff stream.Then a local's horse was dying in that same stream. To make matters even worse,there was a underground fuel spill. The Turkish Fire Department sucked up the fuel and" Evironmental things didnt matter to them. Why? Cause they dumped the fuel in the ocean near by and it flowed "back to that runoff stream used by the gypies .. I felt bad for the Gypies as they were just trying to survive and take care of their families.. Yesterday" I was moved with compassion and let my youngest daughter drive my van to practice" K" turns and parking.. Honestly speaking other than my wife, I've always been" O.C.D/annal about other people driving my vehicles when they " feel entitled" because of the relationship they have with you and sometime prove "how they dont take care of what is entrusted to them..I just found out that someone is bringing a pig roaster with a 100 pound pig to the Church picnic next week.Hope the pig's name isn't Arnold and if it's Porky, as he eats the apple saying" ththththat's all Folks.. I'm still going to maybe might some roast pork or crockpot chicken along with a cake and " the cake and chicken isnt for the pig to munch on 'before the "Luau" errr picnic I digress. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be blessed and encouraged everyone and have a great day..

Posted August 02, 2015 at 08:01PM CDT

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Leslie Anne, for your devotional this morning. No matter where we are, either here in our country or abroad, we should be opening our eyes to see the many who are in need and hurting. They are all around us. For many years, I have made a point of never passing those in need without giving them something. I certainly don’t have much at all, myself, but there is always someone worse off.
JACKIE of San Antonio - I am lifting your niece, Janelle, in prayer, that the Lord will watch over her and keep her safe as she leaves her home because of the unpleasant conditions for her there. I pray that she will go to someplace safe, and that she will contact you or some other trusted relative so that you know she is safe. I am also praying that the Lord will uphold you and give you the strength you need each day, and that you won’t be so continually fatigued. I pray that through your trust in Him, He will relieve the stress you have each day. I am also praying that the Lord will provide the funds for you to be able to get your mother’s medical bills paid off. * CONNIE - I am praying for your church this week as you hold revival services. I pray that the Lord will pour out His Holy Spirit upon the preacher and on all in attendance, and that His Word will go forth in power. I pray that His Spirit of revival will spread throughout your church and into the neighborhood, and many souls will come to know the Lord Jesus as Savior.
JK - I am praising the Lord that your daughter got all settled in to her new place. I am praying, also, that He will provide her with another good and decent-paying job real soon, and provide for all of her needs in the meantime. I am also continuing in prayer for Maxine, that she will be able to keep more food down, and that the Lord will bring her complete healing. I pray that her house is able to be fixed up, and that He will provide for all expenses with that, too. * MERRY of Poteau, OK - I am praying for you, that the Lord will bring you complete healing from the inner ear infection you have. I pray that you get all the rest you need, and that the medication is effective in clearing this up. I am also praying that the Lord will bring relief from all vertigo and dizziness you are also having.
KATHY of Canal Winchester - I am praying for you, that you will hear back soon about going on a second interview with the doctor you interviewed with last week. I pray that the Lord will open up this opportunity for you, or provide another one soon. I pray that He will provide for all of your financial needs each day. I am also keeping Corey and the rest of your family in my prayers, that the Lord will be working in their lives. * BECKY - I am continuing to hold you in prayer as you deal with a loved one’s alcoholism. I pray that the Lord will use the various family groups that you attend to give you the help and encouragement you need during this time. I pray that your family member will seek the help he needs for the alcoholism, and that the Lord will bring him complete deliverance.
MARSHA of Brownwood, TX - I am lifting your son, Nick, and grandson, Zakk, in prayer, that the Lord will uphold them both throughout the difficult time with Nick’s wife leaving them. I pray that He will be working in your daughter-in-law’s heard at this time, and that He will give them both wisdom and guidance. I pray that the Lord will bless Nick and Zakk with His peace each day. * DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I am praying for Lisa, and for all the victims of the past flooding in your area, that the Lord will continue to provide for all their needs as they go about rebuilding their lives. I am praising the Lord for you and others who are sacrificing to help those in need, and that He is providing the ability to do so.
JANET of Johnstown, PA - I am praising the Lord for the great success of your ALS walk this past Saturday, and that He blessed you with a beautiful day, and many walkers. I pray that He will continue to bless your efforts for this organization, and that He will bless your further fundraisers. * JULIE of Delray Beach, FL - I am praying that the Lord will work all the paperwork out so that your mother’s heart valve surgery in Michigan can be scheduled and take place. I pray that all will go well with the surgery, that it is a success, and the Lord brings her complete healing. I am also praying that the Lord will bless your mother-in-law as she settles in the nursing home this month, and that she will adjust well and feel happy there.
BONNIE of Wilmington, DE - I am praying that the Lord will open a way to pay the tuition for the school your son has chosen he wants to attend. I pray that all the money will be provided for him. * ADAM of Dublin, OH - I am praying for the family and friends of the young man who recently passed away from cancer. I pray that the Lord will bestow on them His deep love, and that they will have peace and comfort during this time.
SHEILA of Bryantsville - I am lifting in prayer your friends, Sheila and Paul Miller, whose last remaining son, Allen passed away recently. I pray that the Lord will uphold this couple, as within this year they had also lost another son and her mother. I pray that He will hold them in His loving arms, and bring them His peace and comfort during this difficult time as they grieve. * CHERIE of Inverness, FL - I am praying for your friend, Sherry, who has a broken shoulder and cannot take pain medications, and who took a motrin from her daughter and went into anaphylactic shock. I pray that she will make a full recovery from that, and that the Lord brings her healing from the broken shoulder. I pray that He will bring Sherry relief from all the pain, and that she will have a quick recovery. I am praising the Lord that her daughter found her before it was too late.
STEPHEN of Scottsville, VA - I am praying for your mother, that the Lord will bring her complete healing from the hiatal hernia. I pray that the Lord will work it out so that she will not need any surgery, and that she is soon doing fine. * MATT - Thank you for the suggestion about saving the worrying until I get there. That’s a good idea! I also remind myself that the nasty pain I’m having in that tooth will soon be gone, Unfortunately, along with the tooth, but…….
YULIA - So good to see your posting last evening. I am continuing to keep you and your husband, Jesse, in prayer. I pray that you are both doing well, and that the Lord will bring him healing. I pray that He will meet your needs each day, physical, financial and emotional, along with an abundance of strength and peace.

Posted August 02, 2015 at 10:20PM CDT

Good morning everyone. Here it is a beautiful day. Thank you Leslie Ann for your devotional this morning.
To feel compassion for others and to act on it is the work of the Holy Spirit in us. It is easier to feel compassion for someone you know or individuals than a large mass of people.
Here in Europe we have a lot of problems with illegal immigration mainly from the war zones in the Middle East and each day a lot of illegal immigrants leave North Africa for Italy in overcrowded boats that should not be at sea. If they are saved then other problems start, most want to leave Italy and go to Germany, UK and France as there is more opportunity of work or where they have family members. This is a difficult situation in that most countries don't want more immigrants. It is easy to become hardened to their plight.
SARAH of Berwyn, I am praying your dental procedure on Tuesday is not traumatic and you will be much better afterwards.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 01:13AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning, everyone. Happy Monday! I am filled to the brim with joy. I just discovered a new hair oil with only "pure" ingredients. Jesus directed me to it actually, as He does with many things. One might say Jesus had "compassion" for my hair problem. This makes your devotional even more encouraging, Leslie Anne. Thank you. In fact, thanks for all other prayers and comments too. And please let us continue to pray for one another and the entire world. As Leslie Anne mentioned in her devotional, we are emulating Jesus in that way. "Happy birthday and anniversary to everyone celebrating on August 3, 2015. "God is our refuge and strength, a very help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1)

Posted August 03, 2015 at 03:09AM CDT
Comment by Sharon J. of North Las Vegas, NV

I NEED YOU TO SURVIVE - JUANITA BYNUM LIVE

Posted August 03, 2015 at 03:44AM CDT

Good morning, my friends. Leslie, welcome to the UR family. Thank you for your devotional contribution and words from the author. Let us all show our compassion in word, thought, and in deeds today. Praise the Lord!!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 03:47AM CDT

Leslie Anne, thank you for this devotion, and for your passionate recollections in the BLOG; there are so many in our world who need help. Also, there is no shortage of phone calls from people representing someone, who could use additional funds. I can't help but think of a situation we read about in Acts, when Peter encounters a crippled beggar: 'Gold or silver I have not, but what I can do is...' I don't need to go to India to encounter these situations, they are a part of walking the streets in Greensboro each day, and unlike so many in our country church whose line of responsibility doesn't extend outside their neighborhood, God has called me into the urban areas, into the shelter and jail several times a week. Others in our church are called a couple times a year to Guatemala to install wood stoves that vent, and also to provide clean water. I truly know the compassion you express, particularly in our jail, and I have a hunger for them; not so much to contribute money, but to visit, listen, study the Bible and provide them with books to read. As God calls, I am ready, whenever, to wherever.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 04:36AM CDT

Great day to the entire UR Family may God bless others through us. Praise the Lord!!! I need prayers for Rea the medicine she needs for her chemo isn't available due to a shortage. I pray it is the Lord showing the doctors she doesn't need it. Sarah, get rid of the pain I know God will take care of everything. Leslie Anne, thanks for the Scripture and your devotional. Yes, we need to keep all those less fortunate in our prayers and help whenever we can. I have found if I make the action a daily or weekly thing I am more apt to do it. Like my $1 a mile for jogging/walking to the needy at the church works because it keeps me jogging/walking and giving. I too have been in countries like India during my Naval career and the poverty is amazing but the stamina and will of those in the situation is amazing. Some of the ways they come up with just to survive is astounding to the mind. I choose to believe that God does not eliminate those who never hear about Jesus from His numbers, but that doesn't keep me from trying to tell everyone about Jesus anyway. Caution a Zeke story coming. Everyday he is with us I tell him about all his relatives who love him then I tell him Jesus loves him the most and he always looks up at me with those big eyes every time I mention Jesus. Wow!!! Praying we all take a moment and pray for those in need of Jesus' love today. Praying all the UR Family who need healing and love from Jesus today are touched by Him. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:28AM CDT

Leslie Anne, thank you for the reading, your comments, and your blog. I especially like the line "what our world would be like if every Christ-follower were to pray for those who are suffering and then to act with compassion as Jesus commands." What a great example you are for your children, as well as others you come into contact with. Bonnie, praying you find the funds for your son to go to college. Cherie, praying for your friend Sherry who broke her shoulder. Connie, praying for your church with the upcoming revival services. Adam, praying for the family and friends of the young man who died of cancer. Hopefully Bethanne will be released from the hospital today, she is getting around better, but still in pain. We are a little nervous about how it will go at home especially getting up our front porch steps. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:29AM CDT

Edd, praying for Rea as she continues to battle cancer.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:31AM CDT

Just went back and read the remaining comments and I want to thank you all for your prayers. Sheila and George it's comments like yours that make this site what it is a wonderful, compassionate and joyful place to talk to other Christians. Thank you all. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:32AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Leslie Anne, Thank you for your wonderful devotional. Compassion, that is just what the world needs now. I have never in my life have seen such greedy people where I work. It is all about them and their needs. There are few of us who really care. I am going to make copies of this devotional and leave it in the break room. I get made fun of for my love of animals at work. I just shrug it off. Anyways, I have a praise report. My older son went to Church with the boys and I yesterday. I was on cloud 9!!! My DIL was working at a coffee shop so he went with me. Corey graduates from college soon and will be coming out to visit.

Sarah, I will be praying for you for your dental appointment tomorrow. What time is it?
Tommie, my garden was a flop this year but there is always next year.
Jackie, I will pray for Janelle. Praying you get the rest you need. I was so tired last night, I went to be at 8:30.
Dan, blessings to you for your prison ministry.
Georgine, I understand what you are saying about immigrants. If only there were balance on the Earth and humans lived the way God had intended.
Sheila, I am praying for your friends who lost their son. I pray for comfort for the both of them.
Adam, I will keep the family and friends whose loved one just recently passed away. May they feel the comfort of our Lord.
Stephen, I am praying for your mother.
Edd, My grandkids keep me busy too!! I am glad though.
Merry, Amber and I had a wonderful walk yesterday. It was muggy though. I heard a raccoon barking. I thought that was kind of strange since I was out around 7am.
George, continued prayers for Bethanne and healing and for you and your job
Cherie, I pray Church was wonderful yesterday for you!!
Julie, I am praying for your MIL and your mother. Thank you for your prayers for me concerning the job. I am going to call the office at 9 this morning!!!!!
Heidi, praying for you my dear sis~!~
Kim, spot on yesterday with your comment. Open our eyes!!!
Sheila, Your comment yesterday about physical limitations is so true. I am realizing that I need to get more sleep. I can't keep up with my grandkids. People at work make comments to me about me because I don't work through my lunch. I need that break from the phone and not the extra money it would put in my paycheck.
My prayers today are for all spoken and unspoken needs.
I am going to see Chris Tomlin at the Ohio State Fair tonight. I bought this ticket when I first moved here. I wish I would have bought tickets for my grandkids but I just couldn't afford it. Praying for all today................ my UR family..you are my encouragers. Thank you.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:39AM CDT

Good Morning UR family and Leslie Thank you for the devotional. Just like Dan said There are many in the world that need help, encouragement and compassion. I need to remember to allow the Lord to lead me and to follow his will and not my own.
Thank you all who are praying for my MIL, mom and my jury duty today.
Sarah-Keeping your dental appointment in my prayers.
Praying for all on the list . I am off to get ready for jury duty.
Have a great day everyone.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:45AM CDT

Thank you all who are praying for my MIL, mom and my jury duty today.
Sarah-Keeping your dental appointment in my prayers.
Praying for all on the list . I am off to get ready for jury duty.
Have a great day everyone.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:45AM CDT

Praise God from whom all blessings flow~praying for Rea, Kathy, George and Edd and Sarah and Sheila and victims of earthquakes or other natural disasters or manmade disasters. Like Dan mentions, we can do a "world of good" right in our own county, neighborhood, or house. Ripples of compassion and outreach? Prayers and praises. May we be filled with compassion. Thank you Leslie for the thought-provoking message.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 05:47AM CDT
Comment by Craig of Wanchese, NC

Good morning everyone! Leslie Anne, thank you for the devotional. As I read it, it took me back to Haiti where I do the same as you do in India. Friday night our youth group had a fund raiser called "Empty Bowls", where they got with a local craftwoman and made ceramic bowls on her potters wheel, then sold them for $10 each to raise money for feed the children at their upcoming Haiti trip. Their goal was to raise $1000, but you know how it is when you're doing something good for the Lord, they made $2368. That'll feed a lot of hungry children!
Had a good weekend working up on the roof getting ready to reshingle it. Sore this morning, but needed the exercise. Looking forward to my Haiti trip a week from Thur. Thank you everyone for the Prayers for my neighbor Missy. She had her double mastectomy on Fri. and came home Sat., and is in no pain at all. High spirits and praising God!
I Pray for a Blessed day for everyone.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:02AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Guyton, GA

We need to develop more workers for the harvest through our prayers and actions.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:34AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Leslie Anne - thank you for this awareness and your devotional - God's grace is ours to give and receive!
Blessings!!!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:35AM CDT

Thank you Leslie Anne, took me back to my trip to India in 1973 with JT Seamands and a group of other students from Seminary. A life changing event. When you have seen and lived in real poverty, the world looks so different. Praise to you for giving the children this privilege (read the blog). Whenever I hear of a youth group traveling to the mission field, I study their eyes when they return. Usually you see a deepness that understands what love is. We are better people when we really see others, on the mission field, in the streets, as they immigrate or run to us for survival, and in our own backyard.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:43AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Thank You, LORD, for Monday! Thank You, LORD, for the opportunity to be Your Hands and Feet this week!
Thank you, Leslie, for your message today! I am praying for compassion.
Day one of the Daniel Plan!
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day walking with Our Lord!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:50AM CDT
Comment by panzarona of jamaica, NY

GOOD MORNING ! LESLIE ANNE I enjoyed your devotional and blog . There are do many people in need all over the world . And like DAN stated right here in our own communities . My hat off to you and so many others like our CRAIG who give of your time and resources to help people suffering in foreign countries . SARAH , continued prayers for calmness for your upcoming dental visit . EDD , praying touching and agreeing REA will not need chemo medication . GEORGE , praying for BETHANNE , as she prepares to come home . Stairs are always of concern when you come home after surgery . Having knee surgery makes it a primary concern . Turning that concern over to Jesus . JULIE , praying for the health concerns of your Mom and mother-in-law . Hope you are not chosen for jury duty . You should be able to defer serving because of the duties as care giver . CRAIG , praise God ! What a blessing from a wonderful committed youth group at your church . I took a pottery class in school . Harder than it looks to throw and form potter's clay on a wheel . GEORGINE , hello ! I enjoy your comments . God Bless ! YULIA , so good to read your post . I pray you and JESSE will continue to have good health health . My niece ASHLEY is well . Going to regular P/T . STEPHEN , lifting up your Mother in prayer . SHEILA , praying God will grant peace and comfort to SHELIA MILLER and her husband PAUL as they mourn the loss of their second son . Yesterday's sermon was # SAY MY NAME ! That name of course is JESUS . As we know there is power in his name . Just saying his name can turn negative situations and people around . Lifting up all prayer needs , concerns and requests . In the name of Jesus . Spoken and unspoken . BLESSED SAFE DAY EVERYONE !

Posted August 03, 2015 at 06:50AM CDT
Comment by panzarona of jamaica, NY

ADAM , I was saddened to hear of the passing of the young man who was eighteen years old . You spoke of him so tenderly and positively . He fought the good fight battling cancer . Praying the void his departing left behind will be filled by God's Forever Arms . May God Bless you ADAM today and everyday !

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:00AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! Leslie, thanks for your message today. I'm just coming from another overnight at the Ann -Marie House and thinking that while masses of humanity are overwhelming to me, there are seven families at AMH that are hopefully living a little easier with my help and prayers. That's my "one small part for the masses," I guess.
Did anyone else read Fred Borchelt's Silver Lining?
Have a great day, all!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:12AM CDT
Comment by CARMEN of Caguas, PR

Oh dear lord,hat I may show your compassion to someone in need today. Thank you Jesus

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:22AM CDT

Father God , I thank you for your goodness and love. Give me a heart of compassion as I return to work today and meet parents of new students who need to know they are sending their children to a loving place. We prayer for Bethanne and Rea And all in need. Be present today. IJN Amen .

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:40AM CDT
Comment by Linda of Suwanee, GA

Thank you, Leslie Anne, for this reminder that compassion is a "gut-wrenching burden." That puts a new perspective on it. The tendency to be overwhelmed is human. It is for me, anyway. The prayers of the righteous avail much. As I read through the needs of this blog, I am touched by the prayers and concern. To me, this is kind of like today's devotional. I start out being overwhelmed with the needs. Then I realize that God hold's us all in His hands and nothing is too big for Him. In His time. In His way. By the hands He directs. Praise His name.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:54AM CDT
Comment by Linda of Suwanee, GA

Posted August 03, 2015 at 07:54AM CDT
Comment by Terry of Dublin, OH

Thanks Leslie for your message and call to action. Anytime we can use the talents God gave us for service to others is a GOOD THING. I truly feel, this is one of the most important functions we are charged with in being a Christian....service to others!! This message board is a great example of the many diverse ways this task can be accomplished from prayer listings, community service, raising monies for worthy causes to posting spiritual messages that inspire others to name a few. Bottom line God has given us all talents to share and the opportunities to share them. It is up to us to make it HAPPEN OR to steal a phrase...JUST DO IT!!! I pray for all to both invest their skills as God intended and open their spiritual eyes to see the opportunities that come our way each day.
I pray for all who request prayers this day

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:20AM CDT
Comment by Lee of Tucson, AZ

Hi Leslie Anne,
What a powerful thought and word: compassion. Today, what would my little world look like if I applied compassion? Wow! the possibilities are enormous ... yet are waiting for my application of compassion. Will I allow Jesus to love through me?
God bless your day.

Lee's Nite Radio

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:28AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Elgin, IL

Consolation (Comfort) yesterday and Compassion today. Truly the work of Christ in our lives. Some years ago I was struck by how many times the miracles performed by Christ were prefaced by a description of His being 'moved with compassion.'

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:30AM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

Yesterday's devotional and today's work hand in hand, as we first experience preparation and are moved to take action. In the epistle of James, the author declares that he will show you his faith by his works. We are called to do the same. Thank you Leslie Anne for this moving, compassionate devotional. I thank God that there are those who are called, who have the resources to take action beyond a prayer and a donation. May God continue to bless you and our UR family.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:37AM CDT

Good morning UR family!! Thank you Leslie Anne for the devotional on compassion. The whole world needs compassion and help. I pray today to be compassionate where I am.

Edd, love to hear from little Zeke. Jesus touches him every time you say His name. Amazing!!! Kisses and hugs to you both.

Kathy, I am praying for you as you wait to hear back from the doctor's office. I am keeping all of your family in my prayers. Kisses to Amber and the kitties.

Merry, thank you for the pics of Charlie. He is such a cute little guy. I pray you are feeling better. Lots of rain here and Ron is getting restless again.

George, hello to you and Bethanne. I am praying for you both.

Elias, I always love to see your lessons about giving to others without requiring anything in return. So simple.

Sarah, I am keeping you in prayer for your dental visit.

Everyone I am praying all through the day as I read your requests. I love you all!

Have a beautiful day! Love and Light

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:45AM CDT
Comment by Linda of Madison, AL

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness". I have run across this phrase several times in the past few days. That one candle can be a prayer or an action. I like that it emphasizes the importance of the small things; or the things we think of as small, for prayer is a very great thing.
It was a gorgeous weekend with blue-eyed skies and sunshine. No humidity, so we spent a lot of time outdoors just sitting.
My husband is feeling better, and it was nice to see him sitting on the porch swing playing his guitar and smiling, with the cat curled up beside him.
Special prayers for Sarah as she faces the dentist visit. Prayers for all here today to feel the Lord's love and compassion in our hearts as we light our candles with prayer for the world.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:55AM CDT

BITNO Jesus!
Leslie Anne Neal Segraves (Tennessee, USA, thank you for the scripture showing us what God thinks when He sees the crowds of humanity, and for your devotional giving an example of what we should do as Christ Followers. Even if we are not physically or financially able to do anything, we can always pray and always smile.
Joe, AMEN!
Tommie of Dayton, TN, thank you for re posting Adams prayers every day... I copied and pasted to save the one from today. His description of God was wonderful.
raynard of Newark, DE, King David said laughter is the best medicine... thanks for a good dose of medicine every morning.
Sharon J. of North Las Vegas, NV, thank you for the song. We do all need each other as one in The Father, to survive.
Edd of Ocala, FL, thank you. Blessings to you this beautiful yet stormy looking day...

Posted August 03, 2015 at 08:58AM CDT
Comment by Leslie

Thank you for so many good thoughts on how you are living out compassion in your own contexts. I must say that I get quite excited when I read how you all are asking, "What would happen if I showed compassion today?" Wow, we as a team of believers can truly shake the world! I am encouraged by the Body of Christ!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 09:21AM CDT

hmmm, don't know what I was thinking... hitting post before I was finished... maybe I WASN'T thinking.... LOL
Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH, it sounds like your co-workers have never been exposed to the concept of The Golden Rule... treat others the way you want to be treated... I know it may not be easy, but treat them the way you want to be treated and maybe one day one of them will ask you, 'what's up with this kind of way you do things?' and it will be an open door to explain about what the Bible says about "The Golden Rule" and how you try to live it. What an open door to introducing Jesus to someone. Prayers for you have been lifted and NOW begins the praise for the breakthrough that He has sent on it's way!
And it is good you set the boundaries on your lunch. You do need that time of peace and feeding your body to cope with the rest of the day. Boundaries are a good thing.
Whoohoo on you getting to go see Chris Tomlin tonight! I love his music! Whoop! Whoop! Enjoy and be blessed!
Craig of Wanchese, NC, Whoohoo for the youth group more than doubling their money for the trip to Haiti! God is so awesome!
Linda of Suwanee, GA, I agree, the explanation of compassion in the Greek, 'gut wrenching' does put a whole new perspective on the meaning of the word.
Linda of Madison, AL, thanks for sharing the quote about lighting a candle... I never heard it before... and I always figure when I come across the same thing several times in a short span of time it's God's way of getting my attention to focus on one concept He wants me to get deep in my heart and mind.
We are all so very blessed to know The Most Compassionate One.
We are all so very blessed to learn this Greek meaning of the word compassion today.... gut wrenching..
We are all so very blessed to be compassionate toward others.
Cyber hugs {{{ :-) }}} to each and every one who enters this Cyber Chapel... those sitting in the Balcony just 'watching' the interactions here... as well as those who enter The Comment Room and share in conversation. You are loved with a heart of compassion we can only get a glimmer of.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 09:21AM CDT

Leslie, thank you for joining us in The Comment Room! We love it when the author of the day shows up! Whoop! Whoop! Blessings to you sister!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 09:24AM CDT
Comment by Marilyn of Yukon, OK

Leslie thank you for this reminder to look around us seeing the need and pray, take action if possible. Years ago our family had taken a trip to Mexico and we're on a horseback ride up in the mountains and came across people living in shantys in deplorable conditions...certainly a wakeup call.
Prayers for David Dixon are helping...he hopefully will be released to go home but that's just it...he can no longer live where he's been and the search is on for apartment etc close by medical facilities where maintenance is handled for him. Pray that best living situation is found soon.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 11:41AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Sheila....I so enjoy your posts. Just don't have the words lately .however reading and praying for all of you.
Blessings.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 11:43AM CDT
Comment by Reba of Oak Ridge, TN

Leslie Ann thank you for your devotion. The Lord wants us to observer through His eyes, and act where we are able. He can enable us to act where we think we are too weak or unskilled. Blessed are those who develope their skills with serice for Christ in mind and heart. When the strength and words and works come from God we can do anything. Love to all in Jesus name.

Posted August 03, 2015 at 12:24PM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Leslie Anne Neal Segraves: Thank you for your devotional today. May God continue to bless you in your endeavors. I do, however, want to point out a couple of things that I believe you should consider. Jesus had Compassion, but I don't believe that He had a sense of Urgency in His GIVING because He KNEW the miracle He was about to perform.
Today, God is still in CONTROL, and He has a plan for EVERYONE's life. God does NOT need our help, but He does want to include us in His Kingdom. It, therefore, becomes a Privilege for us to participate in His LOVE by GIVING To Those Around Us Without REQUIRING In Return.
When we Finally BELIEVE in LOVE, then we don't have to be Shaken or Stirred up to do what God desires from us. OUR Love will automatically seek out opportunities to participate in God's Kingdom. The main reason is because our FOCUS is now on those we GIVE to, and not ourselves!
It is important, however, to keep in mind that it is God, via the Holy Spirit, that is DIRECTING His WILL. God will NOT lose in all of this because He IS IN CONTROL! We simply make ourselves AVAILABLE when WE DECIDE to GIVE in LOVE. "There is no fear in Love.", as 1John 4:18 tells us, "But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." Matthew 7:21-23 tells us about those who will perform miracles in God's name, and yet Christ will say, "I never knew you." The Difference is LOVE!
1 John 4:7-8 tells us, "...love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
In your prayer you ask Jesus to give us compassion, but He won't do that because we have Free Will, and it is up to us to decide whether we BELIEVE in LOVE or not!
***
Cherie of Inverness: Thank you for your comment to me today!

Posted August 03, 2015 at 02:20PM CDT