What Is Right

Sunday, May 24th, 2015

Read 2 Kings 18:1-16

View the May-June, 2015 Issue

Hezekiah prayed, “Remember, LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.”

- 2 Kings 20:3 (NIV)

In the Old Testament, people’s lives are repeatedly classified in one of two ways, as a sort of scriptural eulogy: either “he did evil in the eyes of the Lord” or “he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord.”

I rarely consider my life in such simple terms. Media messages entice me to dwell on how nice I look as I age, the type of decor in my home, and what I do for a living. It is easy to forget that — in light of eternity — obedience to God is much more important than such trivialities.

It can be tempting to ignore God’s standard of selfless love, but all those life summaries in the Old Testament remind me that my choices need to be anchored to something bigger than I and bigger than my shifting emotions. My choices should revolve around God and what pleases God. When God reflects on the sum of my life — who I was and what I did — I want to hear, “She did what is good in the eyes of the Lord.”

Read more from the author, here.

Holly Dickson-Ramos (Ontario, Canada)

Today I can choose to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord.

Help us, O God, to love you with all our hearts and with all our souls and with all our strength, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

Prayer focusSomeone Facing A Serious Choice

Holly, thank you for your devotional and 'more from the author'. You're right about the biblical characters that 'made it' were the ones who did what was right as God sees it. Micah 6.8 is the way the Lord would have us go.

Posted May 23, 2015 at 07:34AM CDT
Comment by Tommie of Dayton, TN

I hope to be one who "did right in the eyes of the Lord".

Comment by adam of Dublin, OH
Good Morning God and UR family. Bright and shining You arrived this morning. The songs of the morning birds announcing Your beauty in my life. The day has begun so quickly with all the demands of world already calling for my attention. Physically stopping myself and still my soul so that I may be with You is my goal today. Taking the time to not rush by and miss Your beauty or Your love is so critical to this soul. Breathing You in and holding You there with me. Knowing the life that You give this man is humbling.
So as the day begins feel me reaching to You. Touching You as You touch me. Loving You so deeply even when it seems that life's busyness gets in the way. Show me Your beauty and glory today. I love You so much.
Posted May 23, 2012 at 06:10AM CDT
Comment by adam of Dublin, OH
Good Night God and UR family. Late night for all here but all is well. No issues just sleep coming slow and work has pre occupied our minds. Grateful that sleep is near and rest is finally arrived. I will await the sunrise and the beauty You will bring. The quiet of night has left me lonely but without fear or worry. Just missed You on the walk. Tomorrow will be a better day and with the sunrise so will my love for You. Until tomorrow I will love You in my dreams. I need You more everyday. Until we are together again I love You.
Posted May 24, 2012 at 12:10AM CDT

Posted May 23, 2015 at 09:35AM CDT

Amen, Tommie, as Christians that is our goal - 'what is good in the eyes of the Lord'. It just might be a witnessing opener that is deep enough to get folks thinking before they say 'don't want to hear that religion stuff'. Hi, I am Joe and may I ask you 'Are you doing what is good in the eyes of the Lord?',

Posted May 23, 2015 at 10:16AM CDT
Comment by Yulia

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them" (Acts 2:1-4).
     HAPPY PENTECOST/FEAST OF WEEKS/FEAST OF HARVEST/SHAVUOT EVERYONE! (Ex. 23:16; 34:22; Lev. 23:15-21; Nu. 28:26-31; Dt. 16:9-11; Ru)

Posted May 23, 2015 at 09:43PM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Hello UR family. Holly, what you wrote about is so true and I find myself falling into those very traps. There are days I feel like I don't measure up to what society says, I should be. Then to make matters worse I beat up on myself for different things. My friend sent me this comment, "When the past calls, let it go to voice mail. It has nothing new to say". I find myself repeating those word because they are so true.

Thank God for the much needed rain. However, the rain has turned into very bad storms.

Lord thank you today for all of our blessings. I ask that you hear our prayers. Amen

Father help me to find happiness where I am this day.

Posted May 23, 2015 at 10:40PM CDT
Comment by Diana H of Dunwoody, GA

Good morning, UR Family! As I lie in a hospital room with my husband sleeping I am so grateful to have Christ in my life. I am grateful for all of you from whom I learn so much. For my local church family who support me in all I need. For my family and friends who are supporting me and my husband, Michael, as we have been facing many challenges in the hospital for the past 20 days. My husband lost the ability to walk, to hold anything and to do anything for himself around the beginning of May. Now after 6 MRI's we have a diagnosis - a bulging disk in his neck and spinal stenosis of the lower back. Now I hope God sends us to the right for Michael rehab facility. I hope to find out tomorrow. I am just grateful that in Feb. Michael turned 65 and now has Medicare, but no insurance until June 1. The neurosurgeon is recommending rehab then surgery later. I ask for prayers for healing for Michael and for him having the strength to do the extensive therapy in rehab to get much better to come home.we both are missing being at home.
I now ask our Father to take each of our requests and help us through our days and to comfort us in our daily walk with Him and let us be examples of Him for others even when we aren't conscious of this. Thank you UR Family for just being there for all who need you. AMEN!

Posted May 23, 2015 at 11:32PM CDT
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

Thank you, Holly, for the reminder to consider life in simple terms –do what is right in the eyes of the Lord.
Prayer concerns—not in detail as Sarah does:
SARAH and LUCY and traveling companions
EDD’s trip to Virginia Beach in July; reminder to pray for all who travel (that they offer Christ in many ways and in many encounters); I remember our wonderful encounter with Linda of West Point on our trip
JK’s daughter and classmates travelling in Greece and soon coming home
ANN’s search for devotional material; I liked Yulia’s comment, ‘ANN, devotionals are good, but the Bible is better.’
DAN—affirming his comment, ‘when we are blessed to be around a new believer, there is more to the process of discipleship than good wishes and a hug. We are called to mentor those who search and sometimes struggle with God's Word, or with the basic elements of being a Christian in everyday life.’; prayers for MARTIN
KATHY—as she says—that she can be an example of Christ at work
LINDA- reminds us to pray for our military
RONNIE—facing something that seems humanly impossible—we put it in God’s hands
DEBBIE—prayer for son’s wedding and more importantly the couple’s future together, wherever the wedding occurred
JUDY—prayers for Lydia’s family and Judy's offer of some sage advice
CAROLYN—praise report and prayers for real estate showing
JULIE—prayers for Mom and MIL
SHEILA—prayers for her friend and son in transition; and for Sheila as she adjusts to the changes
WILLIS—some good words he shared, ‘We may be the only Bible that some people see all day, so we need to be like JESUS and love everyone like ourselves.’
JACKIE—prayers as she awaits doctor’s assessment, and exercises appropriately
And why not end with some wise words from ELIAS, ‘And so, what do I have to worry about? The more I experience his Love, the more I put my life in His hands! Remember that Abraham had Faith in God, and yet in the beginning of his Faith journey, he didn't quite Trust God to save him from King Abimelech so that lied about Sarah. As the years went by though, we know that Abraham learned to Trust God more even to the point of sacrificing his son, Isaac.
This is not to say that I don't worry, I am human after all. But I don't worry like I use to because I've learn to Trust God more.’
Today is PENTECOST. May we celebrate the Holy Spirit in our lives—prompting us each and every moment.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:05AM CDT
Comment by Ed of Carolina Beach, NC

Prayers for Dana and Michael as he gets ready for the journey to recovery.
 Prayer request also as we remember those soldiers who have lost their life or limb protecting our freedom.
Micah 6: 8 is on of my favorite verses.

This is the day the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Have a great day all.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:34AM CDT
Comment by Ed of Carolina Beach, NC

Monte thanks for filling in for Sarah.
Sarah, hope you and Lucy are having a great time.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:36AM CDT

Holly, thank you for the reading, I found it hard to follow with all the names and cities, probably because I am ADD. By reading further and your comments and blog it cleared it up for me. Lost my entire post, so know you all are in my prayers. Sarah, praying you have a great time on vacation with Lucy and your friends. Today's prayer focus gives me great peace as our son Robert made a choice that he wants to stop doing drugs. He even went so far as to ask us if he could move back home for 30 days to get out of his house where people are still using. I know it will not be easy for him or us, as he moved out when he was 18 and still in high school because he wanted to do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it. As they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. We will be setting boundaries with him, and praying for the best.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:45AM CDT

Almost lost my post again, not sure what is going on with my samsung galaxy 3 notepad, so will close for now. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:47AM CDT
Comment by Francis of Hideaway, TX

Holly. Your devotional is so correct. The truth of it is more clear with each passing day. My class lesson today is on being standing stones for God, but speaking out to become the "living stones" of which Peter writes. We pray we become the living witnesses that God wants us to be.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:56AM CDT
Comment by Brenda of Newport News, VA

Good morning UR Family . Thank you Holly for and eye opener devotional ! Prayers will go up for Michael and Diane ! Lord touch their lives so all can see that you are a faithful and healing God ! Traveling mercy for all that's on the road ! For all spoken and unspoken prayers Lord hear our prayers today ! Guide us with your Holy Spirit ! In Jesus Mighty name ! Amen !

Posted May 24, 2015 at 05:56AM CDT

Good morning all a great day ahead for all. Praise the Lord. George, you seem to be having one of my days they are fun when you stop and look back on them. Holly, thanks for the Scripture and your devotional. I guess I am the rebel in the crowd. I am the guy who could care less what society thinks of how I dress or look. I am God's creation and that is good enough for me. Yes, I stay clean and neat, but my wife is always saying those colors don't match. I wear loud colors on the golf course that match sometimes well maybe. Had Zeke for three days what a blessing from God. When I look at him and what he does that reminds me the simple things are so important in today's mad rushing society. We go buy him toys and he want to play with the paper plate I just had a sandwich on. Doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord would make this whole world a much better place to live and make me a much better man that is serving the Lord all the time. Trying but can do much better. Praying all the UR Family has a blessed day filled with healing and love from Jesus. Off to church. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:08AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning to all. Happy Sunday! I am thankfu todayl for all that I have, especially the food to put in my stomach. Yet more than that, I'm thankful for spiritual food from the Bible. Thank you for your inspiring devotional, Holly. Doing what pleases God is indeed a goal to strive for. Thanks again. Happy birthday and wedding anniversary to everyone celebrating on May 24, 2015. "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good" (Psalm 118:1).

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:14AM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

The more we live, the more we observe the world around, the more we grow closer to God through Jesus Christ, we gain greater insight into what God calls each of us to become. The good news is that it is never too late to change. Just as salvation is available to all, the process that allows us to change is never too far away. Repentance means to change directions. When we find ourselves going down a wrong street as we travel we simply turn around. When God reveals to us a new truth, He also gives us the opportunity and ability to move toward this new revelation. He gives us the free will choice to decide. We must examine ourselves and choose whether to move toward the light or continue as we are going. Thank you Holly for today's devotional. God always shows us the way.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:16AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Forgive my typo. I am thankful today for all that I have...

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:17AM CDT

Goodmorning UR family thank you Holly for the devotion. Missing Sarah and praying that you and Lucy are having fun and that Albert is doing okay. Prayers for all requests especially for Diana H's husband. May the Lord be with us all especially as we celebrate Pentecost. Blessed day everyone.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:22AM CDT
Comment by Marilyn of Yukon, OK

Holly thank you for bringing out these two phrases in the Bible. This is why the Bible will always yield up its lessons with such an impact....it is as simple as this but of course our human minds will attempt to justify certain actions...God continue to help us understand. Jackie of San Antonio..we too here in Oklahoma are beginning to suffer from some flooding and loss of lives from failing to acknowledge the dangers of high water....thankful the drought has ended but becoming water logged.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:27AM CDT
Comment by joanmarie of jamison, PA

Joe, I looked up Micah 6.8. "To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Thank you😇😇😇😇😁😁😁😁😁😆😆😆😆😆 I needed those words.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:28AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Good Morning UR family, Holly, what a powerful devotional today but what the Lord wants from us is so simple. I agree with you about the media. Society doesn't care about the essence of humans, only the outward appearances. I was challenged at work on Friday with conversation from my female coworkers. They seem to think I need a man in my life. One of them is having an affair. Drama:( Monte, thanks for the recap I just want to blind everyone with the light of the Lord. Sarah, I pray for safe travels for you and Lucy. I pray Albert is doing well at home with the kitties. George, I am praying for you son Robert. You and Bethanne are wonderful parents. Francis, praying for you today. Edd, it's okay not to match:) I agree with your comment about society. Ed, I am keeping Dana and Michael in prayer. Lily, still praying for you and your husband for recovery from the accident. I noticed a lot of police officers out this weekend. I am thankful for that. Henry, I am praying for Ashley, Amanda, Janie, Steve, Jason, Olivia and Mike. I am praying for employment for you. Raynard, I am keeping you in prayer. Thinking of you dear brother. Hope all is well. Jena from Columbus, I am praying for you. Terry and Adam of Dublin, Praying for you two. Cherie, I pray you and Ron are having a nice long weekend. I am praying today for all spoken and unspoken needs. I have my grandkids and we need to start getting ready for Church. Have a blessed day to all.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:33AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Marilyn and Jackie, Praying for you for the weather. Be safe. Monte, thank you for the recap.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:34AM CDT

Thank you Holly for your devotional and blog. I will remember to always be thinking of doing what is good in the eyes of the Lord and not humans.

Diane, I know exactly where you are coming from. Last summer was spent in 2 rehabs and 2 surgeries. I will have you and Michael in my prayers each day. I am glad they found out what was wrong and pray now comes the healing.

Monte, thank you for keeping our prayer requests.

Sarah, I pray you and Lucy are having so much fun it is amazing!!!! You deserve it.

Everyone have a beautiful Day of Pentecost!!! What a glorious gift mankind was given on this day!!!!!! Love and Light

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:35AM CDT
Comment by raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Holly for your devotional. These days if a film doesn't have a comic book theme " or a tie in to the latest fad toy', it might make it to cable TV. Not doing much this weekend. Baked a devils food cake with peanut butter and cocoa icing.. Oh, Monte, devotionals are what encouraged me to read and study the bible. They will never take the place of the bible, just one of many encouraging tools just like this ministry. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day..

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:37AM CDT

Good morning on this beautiful sunny Sunday. Holly, what a lesson in your devotion this morning. Monte, thanks for filling in for Sarah this morning and I pray that these few days away will be a wonderful blessing for Sarah and Lucy. Monte and Carolyn, it was a pleasure meeting you two and I pray that our paths will cross again some day. George, will keep your son in prayer has he has chosen to move back in with you and Bethanne and get away from the drugs. Diana, prayers for your husband through rehab and then sugery and for the surgeon that will be performing the surgery that all will go well and he will have a great recovery. Praying for our country and military. Heavenly watch over and protect all this day and may peace and love prevail in all circumstances. "ASK"

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:41AM CDT

Kathy, glad to hear you have your grandchildren and you are all headed to church. I always have you in my prayers. Coworkers always seem to think they know what someone else needs. Usually unasked for. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Ron and I had a nice barbecue yesterday and he ate 2 big plates. I hope it sticks to his ribs. He is down to 138 from 225. Keep us in your prayers, sis. Love you.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 06:42AM CDT
Comment by Penny of Midland, NC

Good morning. Glad to be back after a much need vacation. Holly, thank you for this devotional. I struggle with this very thing; am I doing what's pleasing to the Lord? I do try, but I also fail Him too. We all sin and fall short, I think the difference is KNOWING when you mess up, then "go and sin no more". The Lord know we're never gonna be perfect and I believe your conscience is the Holly Spirit speaking to you when you sin, are aware of it, and ask forgiveness. He is faithful and shows mercy on us. How blessed are we to have such a wonderful Lord. God bless you all. Sending prayer for all who need them. Have a beautiful day and God bless our soldiers and their families.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:07AM CDT
Comment by Barb of Crown Point, IN

Lord, every day I want to do what is right in your eyes! Thank you Holly for the reminder.
Praying for Diana and Michael for total healing and medical insurance to cover as much as possible.
Praying for all requests lifted up and those held in the ❤️
Prayer request for my husband, initial diagnosis for his abdominal pain - gall bladder or pancreatitis. He now goes for tests . Also prayers for him and my dad, dad was a little too real in his comments about my husbands job search and it really hurt my husbands feelings, his spirit was already low.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:10AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of H, WI

Good morning UR Family, thank you, Holly for this mornings devotional. Trying to sort out all the names, places and comings and goings as in todays scripture is confusing to me sometimes (I am glad I am not the only --thanks for mentioning that too, George).
But, , bottom line, just praying I am doing what is pleasing to God and with the Holy Spirit guiding and directing me all things are possible. Real estate feedback reveals that these people are probably not the ones God has in the plans for purchasing--but have faith that God is working on it. We know He did not bring us this far to just drop us and forget about us. Praying for safe travels for everyone to and from vacations and for police and emergency workers when they are called to assist people. Thank you Monte for your compiled list--hop Sarah, Lucy and friends are having a great time--and for Albert and kitties at home. Praying for Dianna and husband as he begins road back to recovery from back problems and all other concerns and joys spoken and unspoken. Have a blessed day everyone. Worship, work and wait.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:15AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Truly this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Today's devotional reminded me of a song:
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness,
And all these things will be added unto you.
Alleluia!
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day walking with the King of Kings!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:16AM CDT
Comment by Ann of Columbia, SC

Thanks to all who suggested other devotional sites yesterday. I am trying all of them. Since today is Pentacost, perhaps I will find the knowledge and understanding that I yearn for.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:38AM CDT
Comment by Ann of Columbia, SC

Yulia, thank you for your comments. I have read and studied the Bible all of my life. However, as I get older and learn more about the Bible, the organized church, and the realities of life, the more lost I feel. I'm trying to re-ignite the childlike trust I used to have. Wandering in the wilderness right now but not letting go.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:48AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Holly - thank you for this wonderful call to act and serve! Joe - good call on Micah 6:8. Ours is to seek the gifts of the kingdom of God!
Blessings!!!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:51AM CDT

Good morning UR Family, thank you, Holly for the devotional. I was just reading the bible last night and the Lord had directed me Hebrews. With both my mom and MIL I know that the Lord is working in their lives and will heal my mom. She is currently having headaches from having had the shingles 6 years ago. Please pray that the Lord will lead us to a doctor that will alleviate the pain. Also continue to pray that her heart gets stronger and is healed. My MIL's care is now being taken over by Hospice. Please continue to pray for her. I know that the Lord is right there with me but just like Abraham and Moses, I do have moments of doubt like Monte said that is only human.
Cherie Praying that Ron starts gaining weight and is completely healed soon.
Keeping Sarah, Albert and Lucy in my prayers.
Diana, prayers for your husband through rehab and then surgery. Praying for the medical team that will be performing his operation.
Praying for all needs listed spoken or not. A special thank you and prayers to all of our Miltary personnel. Past and present.
Have a great day UR family

Posted May 24, 2015 at 07:57AM CDT

Good morning UR family and thank you Holly for today's message. Choosing to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord should be priority one, but in my case it seems to be out of focus all too frequently. Wiped out after a long day working and enjoying the festival, but preparing to go to church shortly even if I don't make the early service. Blessings to all this day and special prayers for Sarah and Lucy as they travel and vacation with friends as well as Alfred as he tends to the house and pets.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 08:13AM CDT

joanmarie of jamison, PA. Your quite welcome. Micah 6.8 is pretty close to what are marching orders are and should be.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 08:19AM CDT
Comment by Janet of Johnstown, PA

Thank you, Holly, for your devotional. The reading made me think of my grandmother, Kezia. Her name was derived from her grandfather's name, Zechariah and Hezekiah. She gave up her life to come and raise us after our mother died. She taught us about God and Jesus and what was important in life. I would say she did good in the eyes of the Lord. Thanks for bringing up wonderful memories.
Today is not only Pentecost but also Memorial weekend. Let us give thanks for those who gave all for our freedom.
Blessings to all.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 08:20AM CDT
Comment by Willis of Jackson, TN

Good Morning UR Family: HOLLY--thanks for the reminder that we need to please GOD not man. PENTECOST--what a Holy Day, I remember the day the HOLY SPIRIT came into me as if it were yesterday, what a glorious feeling--like flying without wings and soaring with the Angels. A truly mountain top experience. I can just imagine what JESUS's disciples must have felt like.
JACKIE of San Antonio -- I have had an irregular heartbeat since at least 1980 when it was diagnosed just before I had gall bladder surgery. Went to Brooks AFB there in San Antonio to the Aerospace Physiology clinic and they ran all kinds of tests--bottom line, it was not a problem because after 18 minutes on the tread mill it leveled out and they cleared me to continue to fly.
Tomorrow being Memorial Day, I want to remember my roommate and close friends that I was flying with in Viet-Nam that lost their lives, Bob , Paul, George and many others. My heartfelt thanks and condolences go out to their families. GOD was good to me and allowed me to come back unscathed--Praise be to GOD.
Prayers go out to all other families of our fallen warriors and thanks for their service to our great country.
Prayers go out to all in need.
GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 09:14AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! Thank you, Holly, for this message, so appropriate on Pentecost, because it is by receiving the Holy Spirit that we can know what to do, which is "right in the eyes of the Lord." Perhaps the old testament people were at a disadvantage that way?
Love to you all.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 09:34AM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Hello UR family. We need to keep Donna of San Marcos, Tx & Donna of Seguin, TX in our prayers this day. The San Marcos & Blanco Rivers are flooding across IH 35 in San Marcos. The Guadalupe River in Seguin is flooding but I don't know how bad at the moment. I haven't been able to get info on the Gudalupe River flood level. I don't know where either of these ladies live in San Marcos or Seguin but those River have a mind of there own when it comes to flooding.

My mother would be completely amazed at the San Marcos & Blanco Rivers flooding like that. She grew up in San Marcos. I heard her talk about the York Creek flooding but never the rivers.
Let's keep Francis in prayers also. He lives in northeast Tx and they've been hit pretty hard the last couple of weeks. In an email he said, to send the Ark.

I wish you could see the cute picture someone sent to me last week. The picture is of 2 cats sitting on a fence under an umbrella. The caption reads "Noah called, He's picking us up in 10 minutes".

Be blessed this day. Father God we give thanks for the much needed rain. However, we need the sun for a few days. Thank you Lord.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 09:41AM CDT

Father God , thank you that you are ther for us, giving us not just second chances, but third fourth fifth, up to seventy times seven chances. Some of us need that many. How special it would be for others to say of me when I'm gone "she did what was pleasing in the eyes of the Lord. " Lead me on paths of righteousness for your name's sake. Not going to make church this morning ... too much rain for the creek. Father bless me in my sabbath. Be with the family of the firefighter in Claremore (a neighboring town) who lost his life in the flood last night trying to rescue someone. Be with George and Bethanne as they minister to their son. Be with Diane and Michael and all who need your healing. Be with Martin and Dan. Bless Sarah and Lucy. Walk with us today and keep all safe, especially those facing rising waters. Praise your Holy Name for your goodness and love. Make me am instrument of your peace. IJN Amen .

Posted May 24, 2015 at 09:42AM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Oh WOW! How exciting that Sarah & Lucy are on a trip. That's wonderful news. Nothing like getting away for a short time when things are crazy it helps to clear the mind.

Monte thanks for the quote from Elias.

Hi Willis, I was told about the Mitrol valve prolapse when I was in my early 20's. I had problems with it in the 60's when I was a kid but they couldn't figure it out at that time. I only complained about not being able to breathe. My chest quit hurting after the stress went away (I guess it was stress). I can't remember what I was stressed about. I was 10 and it happened in the middle of the summer - school was out. I've just learned to live with it. I think the doctor was trying to figure out my tiredness so he had the EKG as a precaution. I know to much coffee makes my heart race so I've cut back on how much I drink.

Be blessed today. This is Pentecost Sunday.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 10:05AM CDT
Comment by Brian of Amarillo, TX

Holly thank you for the devotional, I must confess I got a little lost in the reading too, sometimes I find it difficult to connect the dots of scripture, I suppose those are times that I need to be still and listen. DIANA praying for you and Michael. ANN I'm like you in ways. Devotionals assist me in zeroing in on areas that I may not have thought about and challenge me to grow in a variety of ways. They are biblical nutritional supplements, can't do without the food, but they are a fine side dish. MONTE as I was reading the devotional I thought, it will be a little strange not to see SARAH'S prayer list. Thanks for stepping up for all of us. What a wonderful day of Pentecost. Lifting all spoken and unspoken prayers and praying the Holy Spirit moves mightily in those who are seeking The Risen Lord. Praying for all of our military men and women past and present, I owe a debt of gratitude to each of them. God is love!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 10:09AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning, Holly and thank you for your devotion today. I agree with you that we should always be striving to do the right thing, but not because it pleases or displeased God. We do the right thing because Jesus gave us an excellent example of how to live.
 It's a childish notion that God is pleased or not by us. God does not change. If He was, He would forever be in a constant change of mind, one minute pleased the next, pissed off. I would not want to be in the shoes of that person. I'm joking, but I believe God forgave us for His own peace of mind.
 Today's devotion ties in with someone's comments the other day, about not knowing the Lord, and even wandering if they should try. When Jesus spoke to the woman at the well ( John 4 )
  19 The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.”

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. ( 22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.) 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
 Verse 22 clearly points toward knowing, not ignorance.

25 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.”

26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.”
 She knew of His coming, yet was face to face and knew Him not. How many today are still not seeing Him?
 Penny, you say that the Lord knows we will never be perfect? The same Lord that said,
48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. ( Matthew 5 )
 You must know who and what you worship and profess to believe, especially if you want to witness for your Lord, because those who don't believe will know just enough to trip you up every time.
1 Peter 3:15New King James Version (NKJV)

15 But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
God bless you all!

Posted May 24, 2015 at 10:28AM CDT

BITNO Jesus!
Holly Dickson-Ramos (Ontario, Canada), a hearty AMEN to your choice of scripture and devotional. To come to The One Who Sits on The Throne and hear, 'She did what is good in the eyes of the Lord.' will indeed be a welcome to Heaven I so look forward to. And it is quite appropriate that your prayer is about Loving God and our neighbor as ourselves... because LOVE covers all. If we truly LOVE God first and love ourselves the way He wants, not the self focused way of the world, we are then better equipped to love all we come into contact with... even the unlovables.... and there are some that seem impossible to love, but when we choose to love them through God, then God gives us a compassion and love for that person that helps us be more patient and understanding. If we just love we will be doing what is right in the eyes of The Lord.
Loving God, Loving Each Other, Gaither Vocal Band.... love this song...
... Whooooooohoooooo! Shouts of Joy for The Love poured down into our hearts and spilling out for those around us... LOVE... sweet LOVE... Loving, as Elias says, without asking or expecting anything in return.... that is what is right in the eyes of The Lord. It is ALL about LOVE.... for when we love like The Father loves we want to do what is right in every life experience, every life battle, every life joy, every moment.... JUST LOVE.
Thank all of you for your prayers for my friend Frances and her move... she's tired, in pain with her hip, and frustrated at all the stuff she's collected over the years that she doesn't need. She will be purging and setting aside things for a yard sale later this summer. And there is one issue of contention between her and her twin sister that needs the prayers of God's prayer warriors to lift... God knows what it is and He knows how to soften the hearts of each in the areas needed and help each of them to love each other and love the others in their lives without jealousy or frustration.... to love as God loves... and pray for God to use me as He sees best in this situation.... or not use me at all... His Will be done.
Joe, thanks for the scripture... one of my favorites.... and I always think of Charlie Underwood... that was always one of his favorites too...
Continuing on with listening to The Gaither's.... having my own praise session here... I might get finished with this comment section some time today.... LOL...
Yulia, a Blessed Pentecost to you as well.
Diana H of Dunwoody, GA, prayers for your husband with spine issues and for you as a caregiver, for the rehab and all medical team, for wisdom and guidance in what is needed to correct the issue, and for the insurance and finances to become available to pay for it all. And NOW begins the praise for how God will work to answer the prayers of His people on this.
George of Virginia Beach, VA, prayers for you and Bethanne as you deal with the changes in your routines with Robert moving back in, and for the buttons he will push to test the limits.... prayers for strength to stand firm in your boundaries, letting him know he is loved... but you won't put up with any of the things people do when struggling with drug addiction... stealing, lying etc... it's so hard on families... but love will conquer all. We will begin NOW to praise God for how He will move in Robert's life to help him conquer the addiction, and His guidance for you and Bethanne.
James of Fayetteville, GA, AMEN!
Ann of Columbia, SC, not knowing you personally, but knowing how you feel because it's how I used to feel... until I gave up 'organized religion' and just started spending time with God and asking Him to teach me His Truth, His way of Loving... building on RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM and leaving RELIGION behind.... He doesn't want our religions... He wants our relationship in love.... focus on that and see where you are a year from now.
A blessed and safe Memorial Day weekend to all... let us be swift to thank those who serve... in whatever capacity and honor those who have died in the line of duty.
We are blessed to know The One Who helps us live our lives to be pleasing to Him.
We are blessed to know that we can turn to Him at any moment and know we will receive the help needed to 'do the right thing'.
We are blessed to have this UR Family to share our needs and our praises with.
Cyber hugs {{{ :-) }}} to all who enter here. Each one of you, whether we know you are in the Cyber Chapel or not... are loved with a love that is full to overflowing in His Righteousness.

Posted May 24, 2015 at 10:46AM CDT
Comment by Ronnie of Cortland , NY

God is doing the impossible! Thank you for the fresh reminder. I don't know why I am so surprised when he shows up miraculously. Praying for all of you who are facing trials that seem impossible as well. Love, Ronnie ❤️❤️

Posted May 24, 2015 at 11:51AM CDT