“Don’t Quit”

Friday, October 31st, 2014

Read Isaiah 38:1-5

View the Sept-Oct, 2014 Issue

Lord, . . . You restored me to health and let me live.

- Isaiah 38:16 (NIV)

King Hezekiah was “at the point of death” because of his illness. But he recovered with God’s help. Hezekiah’s story reminds me of an illness from which God helped me recover.

Mine was a mental illness. Several years ago loneliness, financial struggles, and workplace issues felt like relentless adversaries, and I began having suicidal thoughts. I wanted relief from my emotional pain and came to believe suicide would be the way to attain it.

As I headed toward the parking garage one night, I was thinking about the note I had scribbled on yellow-lined paper and various methods of carbon monoxide poisoning. When I reached my automobile, I noticed a laminated prayer card on the pavement beside the driver’s door. It was titled, “Don’t Quit.”

I could taste my salty tears as I read it. Despite the fact that I had not involved God in any aspect of my life, I felt God reaching out to me through that prayer card. The following morning, I contacted a physician. With counseling and medication I recovered from my illness, and a few months later a pastor led me to Jesus. I keep that prayer card on my dresser as a reminder that God values our lives and “saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Ps. 34:18).

Debra Pierce (Massachusetts)

Don’t quit.

Heavenly Father, we praise you for your divine mercy when illness steals our health and hope. Amen.

Prayer focusPeople suffering from mental illness

Comment by Tommie of Dayton, TN

I'm posting this for those of us who remember Adam and his prayers. I pray that his issues have been resolved.
Comment by adam of Dublin, OH
Thank you Lord for your blessed assurance that those who call upon you will be answered. As I struggle with my issues, I know the beautiful and amazing plans you have for me. Lord, grant me the patience and wisdom to rest in your peace as you, Lord work out your plan. I love you and thank you for loving me all the rest of the days of my life.
Posted October 30, 2011 at 08:56AM CDT

Posted October 30, 2014 at 10:57AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Beautiful, story Debra! Praise God for His timing.

Posted October 30, 2014 at 08:31PM CDT
Comment by Kristen

That prayer card was put there by God without a doubt! How wonderful! I'm glad you're alive to tell your story! Stay blessed!

Posted October 30, 2014 at 09:58PM CDT

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Debra, for your devotional this morning. This is something that I can personally relate to. A few years ago, when I found out that my husband was unfaithful, and then flaunting that woman in front of me in the house, I became suicidal. Thoughts of my children held me back, and then just plain being scared. I didn’t want to face Jesus that way. I still get very depressed at times, especially with our financial situation right now. But thank the Lord He has kept me back from taking that route.
GOLDIE - I am praying that the Lord will bring you continued healing from the Chick-V virus, and that He will bring you relief from all the pain and the swelling in your joints. I am glad to hear you were feeling well enough to go out and do some gardening. * JK - I am praying for your husband and the negative situation he is dealing with at his job. I pray that the Lord will work through this, bringing all things together for his good. I pray that He will give your husband wisdom, and that he will not be held responsible for things that happened before he started.
JOSIE of Lima, OH - I am praying for the family of your friend, Emily, who recently passed away, and whose memorial service is tomorrow. I pray that service will be a blessed one that will give comfort and the Lord’s love to all. I am also keeping you and your daughters in my prayers, that the Lord will bless and uphold you, and that He will meet all of your needs each day. * RAYNARD - I am praying for you and your wife as you have to deal with the unpleasantness of her aunt’s husband’s family. I pray that the Lord will give you both an extra special dose of His wisdom with dealing with them, and that His Holy Spirit will guide all that you say and do. I pray that all will get worked out peacefully, and the Lord will use this time to bring that part of the family to salvation, if they aren’t already.
JULIE of Delray Beach, FL - I am praising the Lord that your teacher evaluation on Wednesday went well! I pray that He will continue to bless you and your students each day! * PEGGY of Atlanta - I am praying for your friend, Linda, as she goes through some very big changes in her life, especially at work, and is quite alone without much help or support. I pray that the Lord will bring some good Christian friends into her life to help carry her burdens, and that she will also turn more closer to Him through this time. I am also lifting you in prayer, that the Lord will be with you in a special way today and meet all of your needs through His love and grace.
MARSHA of Brownwood, TX - I pray that all went well yesterday evening as you gave a talk at an Emmaus gathering. I pray that the Lord’s Spirit guided all that you said, and that it was a blessing and encouragement to those present. * DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I am lifting your mother in prayer that the Lord will be working in her to remove the bitterness she occasionally feels about the loss of her home and friends which have been gone for many years. I pray that He will replace the bitterness and sadness with His joy and memories of happy times.
HEIDI of Woodstock, IL - I am praising the Lord that your friend, Ryan, has been placed in a rehab facility near his home, so his children will be able to visit him! I am praying that the Lord will continue His work of healing in Ryan. I pray He will guide the doctors and therapists there, giving them wisdom, and that all treatment will be successful. * CHERIE of Mena, AR - I am lifting both you and your husband, Ron, in prayer as you wish to let go of all bitterness and dwelling on the past. It’s not always easy, as I struggle with that each day, especially regarding my ex-husband and his mistress. I continue to pray that the Lord will bring Ron complete healing and renewed strength each day.
ALLISON of San Antonio - I am continuing in prayer, that the Lord will bring you complete healing from the cancer. I pray that this clinical trial opportunity will be successful, and that the Lord will guide all the doctors and medical professionals, and use this in a mighty way to bring healing and glory to His Name. * PATRICIA - I am continuing in prayer for your friend, Jim, who has a melanoma brain tumor. I pray the Lord will give wisdom to the doctors at MD Anderson, and that all treatments will be effective in bringing him healing. I’m praying that the Lord will bring peace and strength to his family, too.
Like several have mentioned, I, too, am concerned for those who usually post with regularity, but have been missing recently - particularly Monte and Lydia of Cumming, GA. I pray that they are well and have just been busy or taking a break. I am also remembering in prayer some who used to post regularly in the past, but we haven’t heard from in quite awhile - Cindy of Jersey Shore, Julia of Alexandria, Gwen of New York, Jim of Enid, Jim of Lubbock, Teresa of Happy Valley, Sheryl of Social Circle, to name a few off the top of my head. I’m not meaning to put any pressure on anyone to post. I just want to remember them in my prayers, that they are well, and the Lord bring them blessing.

Posted October 30, 2014 at 11:31PM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Good mornings UR family. Debra what a beautiful devotional. Our struggle in life can really get us down. This past summer I was very tired and couldn't figure out what was causing my tiredness. The I started to think about different thing in my life and realized part of the problem was stress. My heavy work load, struggling with finances etc. I decided to start down sizing things in my life and to help free up funds. I've made several changes in my life over the past two months. Things are much better and I'm starting to feel better. God is the reason I've made if to this point. I still have a ways to go but it will improve slowly.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 12:16AM CDT

Debra...good morning. Welcome to the UR Chapel. Thank you for your devotional, "Don't. Quit."
Simple but powerful words.
So glad you found Jesus...

Posted October 31, 2014 at 03:06AM CDT
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

Debra, what a wonderful ‘God-moment’ you experienced when you weren’t even looking for God. Praise God for such times, and praise God for your new life through medical and spiritual care.
I have been among the absent this past week. Carolyn and I took a little down time. We went to Eastern Pennsylvania to see her step-brother and to do a little genealogical research. We met a distant cousin of Carolyn’s for the first time in Minersville. It was a good trip, taking advantage of a good car rental deal. I ask prayers for Carolyn’s step-brother Dave who is dealing with cancer.
Our rental situation is not resolved yet. I await the inspection results on the sewage system. We currently have three prospective renters who want to look at the apartment. Offer a prayer that one of them will be interested and the right tenant. This situation has been particularly stressful for Carolyn.
Praise God that we are very blessed, having good health, food on the table, a good place to live, friends and family, and the love of Jesus.
Prayers that we all may be ready for ‘God-moments’ as powerful as the one Debra experienced.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 03:41AM CDT

Good morning to all of you, my friends. Debra, we welcome you to the Upper Room Family and thank you for your devotional contribution. Suicide is considered by many to be the easy way out of life's troubles, but one needs to consider that such an act is final and cannot be reversed, if the attempt is successful. A person may well feel that all is lost, but the Lord loves us and will help us with our troubles, if we will let Him do so. In addition, one needs to consider the feelings of those we leave behind, who were unaware of our troubles but would have helped us if they only knew about our troubles and those who knew of our troubles and were unsuccessful in their attempts to help us. By all means, please seek the help of someone if you even contemplate such an act, the Lord and all of your other friends will do their best to guide you away from such an act. Above all, do not let your troubles get ths best of you, the Lord wants you to conquer sin and not commit the sin of suicide. Jackie, I most certainly know what stress is, especially that caused by financial troubles. My income this year will be about 60 percent of what it was 6 years ago so I have had to make many spending cuts. The Lord has helped me to continue to pay my bills and have food to eat. For that, I am most thankful. I do my best to help maintain a positive attitude for all of those around me and I thank the Lord that I have been able to do so. Sarah, I see that you and Lucy still do not know how she did on her algebra test and I continue to hope and pray that she did well. I also notice your concern about several whom we have not heard from in quite some and I share your concerns about them. I continue in my prayers for all of us who are struggling with various diseases and other problems in our world. May we all be blessed today and do our best to serve the Lord by our efforts to help those around us. Praise the Lord!!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 03:48AM CDT

Debra thank you for this timely message! Again God is reaching out. Jackie I am thankful you have been able to persevere from your stress. I pray we all may do the same. Monte and Don I echo your thoughts and prayers. Sarah thank you for your continued faithfulness and I wonder about those same folks as well. Please continue to pray for a classmate of mine that had surgery on Wednesday(or regular class day). The surgery went well and took less time than expected according to the report I received. I pray she heals quickly and without pain and that she and her family continue to witness God's amazing grace, comfort and strength. Blessings to all this day.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 04:36AM CDT
Comment by Ronnie of Cortland , NY

My husband is at the point of no hope, I have never seen him this low before. Although he is not suicidal he needs a "don't quit" card from someone other than me. He knows the Lord and yet cannot see himself through His eyes; valuable, cherished. He calls himself a loser and thinks that I should find someone else. He is in so much pain and he will not receive any affirmation or love from me. May the Lord open his eyes today and may my husband experience the revelation of who he is in Christ today, bought with a price, valuable and worthy regardless of his work situation.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 04:54AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

I just returned from the ER with an extreme case of ashthma--literally gasping for breath. Now I am home--and have been sitting snd reflectng on God's good gifts and how well I was taken care of by the ambulance, ER doctorsand nurses,and how blessed I am.

I hired a lawyer to help me move out of my city apartment and she has been abrasive ---and harsh--I finally identify her--as a walking wounded--like I have been. Your devotion reminds me to seek help for others as much as I desire help for myself

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:01AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

And to give God's mercy as I have neeeded and will need again and again. Thank you Debra, for your courageous message of not "giving up" as we givie in to God

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:12AM CDT

Good morning all off to work the election poles again. Praise the Lord!!! Debra, thanks for the scripture and your devotional which shows that God loves us all no matter who we are and what could be a better way to bring an individual into the fold then what happened to you. I am one that doesn't believe in things happening by chance. It is all God's plan and He executes it so well. Praying all the UR Family has a day filled with Gods love and healing. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:22AM CDT
Comment by Traian

Good Morning from ROMANIA , dear UR friends! Oh , DEBRA, how amazing the love of GOD appeared to you in the most critical moments of you life! How gracious HE took you out of darkness and despair ! We all have moments of pain and despair , but the LORD is right close by us, loving and wanting to save us. May the LORD bless us with a beautiful day and with a wonderful week-end! In Romania , according to a traditional custom, on these days we go to the cemetery to clean the tombs of our parents,relatives, friends... and to put some flowers. It is a good occasion to remind the good memories about the loved ones... I will be there, full of thoughts and memories..

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:33AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Debra Pierce, thank you so much for bravely sharing your story, PTL, you saw the prayer card. As I've said in the past, and as anyone who has been depressed knows, it is hard to hear above the noise , your just looking for relief & satan is always (and I mean always) there to suggest the easy way (whatever it is, drugs, booze, suicide, etc....). One thing I know about that cat (satan), he's a good liar, always has been.
I understand why Abba God, The Heavenly Father tells us to be still (let the noise die down). If you don't know what to say, just say Jesus (also a song), sweetest name ever uttered from our lips.
Dearest Jesus, I pray for the peace, Your peace that passes all understanding for my Brothers & Sisters in Christ today and forever, and for those who need You Now, in Your beloved name, above all others, Amen.
I love the song by Plumb, "Need You Now" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGIumjD6I3M)
“Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
― Winston Churchill

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:34AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Debra for your devotional. 33 years ago I was in " Boot Camp" as the old timers use to say, I was overwhelmed with thoughts of" Being Homesick". A few pills from a prescription " I though would be " the answer and I would go home.. All that got me was a trip to the emergency room"..Thank God " I didnt interrupt his chess game cause" he didnt want to be bother with me.. I digress. My wife's uncle's funeral is tomorrow. We will be going to NJ to represent the family. Some of my in laws from N.C will be coming to attend also. We will find out today if my aunt's mental state will handle the stress without her b/p going up. Sarah, thank you for your last sentence in your comment to me."BONK! OUCH!That Wet Smelly Fish must be" inside of Charlie Brown's bag of rocks he got for "Trick or Treat.. I digress. A reminder for everyone to set their clocks back this weekend and change the batteries in their smoke detector.Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a good day.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:39AM CDT
Comment by Elizabeth of Westfield, MA

Debra: yours is quite an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it and giving us all hope to never quit. God Bless You

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:49AM CDT
Comment by Barbara

Debra thank you so much for your devotional! You were my "don't quit" card today for I have been struggling with waves of hopelessness wanting to be relieved of the weight of this life and to be at "home" with my Heavenly Father. But I thank God for the Holy Spirit who brings me back to His Word and to friends like you who drop a "don't quit" card just when I needed it. I have no doubt that your devotional was an answer to my cry for help today! I hold on to God's promises and His plans for my life...He gave me this precious gift of life for a purpose...His purpose...so until He calls me home I will lean on His Word and the words of His "angels" who post here to lift the weight off my shoulders! I pray for all who are struggling today - May you feel His Presence in your life today...just as I have felt it with Debra's devotional and your words. Trusting in God's Promises. Barbara from Buffalo NY.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:49AM CDT
Comment by Robert

I pray that your devotional today is the "don't quit" prayer card for someone going through a similar struggle. God bless you Debra, and keep looking to the light and love of Jesus.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:51AM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

Debra, your devotional is a beautiful testimony of God's intervention in your life in His perfect timing and way, according to His will. Is it not wonderful that even when we are lost and don't know how to pray that at the right time and even the right moment, God's mercy and grace abounds and we are saved? Praise God, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost for His plan of salvation. Today is the day that The Lord hath made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:52AM CDT

Ronnie of Cortland , NY Oh Ronnie, how painful your situation in. You need a hug sister. Yes, I am in prayer for God to touch your troubled husbands heart. For him to look beyond his despair and feel loved and valued. He is in such pain. We are with you Ronnie.
Monte, I'm in prayer for Carolyn. Stress can be overwhelming. I'm there too. We seem to go from one trauma into another. So glad you got to have some down time. She really seems to love searching out family. My prayer is that your property does finally pass inspection and that your new renters are good people. You need a break.
First eye surgery is over and I am in the midst of lots of eye drops. Go back to Dr. this morning. Of course, I'm nervous, but I think everything is OK. Now to add to the stress, we have new repair need on our home. House has settled some and ceramic tile issues. Covet your prayers for the direction to move on it. Financial limitations control everything.
So, Debra Pierce (Massachusetts), you can see how timely your devotional is. No, I won't quit. God cares about everything I going through, Little and Big. He will be there with every move I make.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 05:56AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Hello, everyone. Good to see all posts. Happy Friday! Happy birthday/anniversary to all celebrants for October 31, 2014. DEBRA, thank you for sharing your devotional. I know that you encouraged all who read it. Thanks again. My prayer for everyone is that we remember the simple message: DON'T QUIT.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:02AM CDT
Comment by Duane of Pomaria, SC

Medical MD's offer a lot in this area-I know because due to chronic pain and depression I considered this route, to the point of planning and methods. My doctor questioned me about this and asked me-made me promise to call him when and if I decided carry out my plans. His actions saved from committing suicide.
His persistent follow up, and counseling by a psychologist and devout Christian brought me back to Christ and strengthen my relationship with God beyond measure. "Don't Quit"

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:02AM CDT

Debra, thank you for this very personal devotion, and for your encouragement to those who may also be struggling as you did. This is very real to me. About 15 years ago, I went through a deep depression; I sort of knew how it started, but people who said either 'cheer up', or 'just get over it' don't know how deep these feelings are. I never considered suicide at the time, but a few years later, serving in volunteer Chaplaincy, I met many people on my shifts in the hospital, waiting for mental health, who had attempted to take their life earlier in the day. For those where the root cause was depression (not drugs), I could tell them I understood. My prayer for them was: 'I pray; one day, through God's leading you will be standing in front of a person who, like yourself believes there is no hope and no reason to live. You can tell them: 'I know how you feel, I was where you are, and with God's help I got through it, and you can too'.' The scripture for this is 2 Corinthians 1:3-7. God takes us through hard times so that, we can help others who are going through the same thing.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:07AM CDT

Good morning UR family and Debra Thank you for the devotional. This devotional reminds me of my dad. He owns a towing service and when I was around 8 years old . He had to go on a call where a dump truck was stuck deep in a muddy. It took him three days to get the truck out of the hardened muddy hole. He never gave up. This incident has stuck with me throughout my life .Yes life can get hard, muddy and sometimes I feel like I am stuck in a hole but then I look up and see the Lord's light shining through and I know that I am going to be okay.I pray that when we all start feeling like we are stuck in a hole that we remember to look up.
Asking for prayer for Joe my younger son he is very gifted in math but he is failing Spanish. Please pray as he meets with his teacher today that she will be willing to help him. Also please pray that our school gets funding for another special education teacher. Between myself and one other teacher we have almost 60 students which means that these students are not getting the special attention that they need to pass the state tests.
Raynard- Keeping your wife and in laws in prayer as the funeral is tomorrow.
 Ronnie of Cortland- I am praying for your husband and his work situation. My husband went through a very difficulty work situation a few years ago . He wanted to give up but instead contacted his union attorney who was able to help him. Things are much better now however he has been offered a hire paying job. We are now praying for the Lord's direction.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not. Praying for safety for the trick or treaters tonight.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:09AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Good morning, all! Thank you, Debra, for that really inspiring message. I have a friend who was once sitting on her bed with her dad's loaded gun - and the Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door! At least, that's the story she tells. She didn't become a Witness and is still distant from God, but alive.
Even though God is God, those cards and visitors don't typically just materialize, so I would encourage everyone reading today to go out and tell someone "don't quit!" I'm praying that one of us, or someone like us, reaches Ronnie of Cortland's husband.
Blessings on all today!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:13AM CDT

Matt, thank you for sharing the link to the Plumb song; I cry every time I hear it. I guess as a P.S., if you are around a person who is going through depression, and you have any reason to suspect they might try to hurt themselves, even as uncomfortable as it may be, in love and compassion, really dig into it. If these feelings are real, or even tangential, you need to contact someone to get them help right then! I have experienced this at the shelter, and God is calling you to maybe help save their life. Also, I believe professional help is always available at 1-800-suicide. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:16AM CDT
Comment by Goldie

This is the day that the Lord hath made let us rejoice and be glad in it. Let us rejoice for Debra for God is an on - time God. How I can understand how you were and how God placed that prayer card at the exact time that you needed those words. For many years I suffered with depression and muscle pains which eventually escalated into extreme fatigue , anxiety, among other issues. I was rejected by friends and family, I was told I had every type of mental illnesses so that it became a burden to answer my telephone , everyone thought that I would not remember what they were saying because my mental faculties were diminished and worse because my second son had mental health issues, through early use of cannabis so I was lumped with him. I had already taken early retirement because I did not want to collapse on the job. One day I picked up the telephone and called a friend and she asked how I was feeling after explaining her remark was, ' You need to go to the doctor and tell him to send you for a blood test for hypothyroidism and it was positive the first tablet I took I felt better. Many times I was so frustrated I felt like making the same decision as you Debra, only two things kept me from it 1) God's grace and His love and because I was not sure where I would spend eternity if I did that. 2) I could not do this to my three precious children that God gave me for at times they were all the family I had and although they too were confused I just could not put them through that ordeal. I f the sky was parchment made and every twig a quill and every man a scribe to write the love of God, for all us humans , would drain the ocean dry. Thanks for sharing Debra and God loves us so much He is there when we need Him most.
I think yesterday I did too much I stood for hours in the bank lines and in the supermarket and by the time I got home to prepare dinner ( I cannot eat out special diet) my knees and ankles hurt and were swollen Chick V works on a weakened immune system and my complications are many hypertension and a cyst in my left kidney and the low secretion of thyroid hormones. I have to take it easy today. Living in warmth of tropical Jamaica, where we have neither Summer nor Winter, Autumn nor Spring , as defined in temperate lands, but we have the one of the tiniest killer the mosquito or as we would say in the vernacular ' Masqitta' but yesterday I saw someone buying Tiger Balm and she said it was for the joint pains from Chick v, so I bought as well using that allowed me to be up this morning. Why was I in the pharmacy to meet Karen got the info and acted on it because of the awesome love God has for us His children. Have a great day wherever you are blessings.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:17AM CDT
Comment by Franklin and ELIZABETH of Buford, GA

Thanks for sharing your testimony Debra. I also was laying on my back for more than six months with pancreatitis. The medical staff accompanied with lots of prayers by family and friends, locally and abroad allowed me to heal. Praise the Lord for his compassion; even though I have lost fifty percent of my pancreas.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:21AM CDT
Comment by Steve of Knoxville, TN

Good morning everyone. What a beautiful day the Lord has provided! Debra, thank you for today's devotional. What a truly rough time you must have gone through. With our Savior's leading and guidance, you made it and are an inspiration to others that may be having those same thoughts. Praise God for you and your (and other's) willingness to share this dark time of your life. God put that prayer card where you would find it, PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!!! Suicide is never the answer. Through my law enforcement career, I've dealt with several, including the suicide of my closest friend. It took me at least ten years to "get over it". Sometimes I wonder if I ever have? He died on 07/03/1998, I miss him terribly to this day. It's such a tragedy not only for the person, but also for those left behind.
Prayers offered for all prayer requests and praise reports. Prayers for Ronnie's husband. He, and all of us, have worth. Ronnie, does he have any close friends that he can lean on?
Everyone have a blessed and safe day.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:22AM CDT
Comment by Dawn of Rogers, AR

DEBRA, thank you for courageously sharing your story. Bless the person who 'dropped' the don't quit card beside your car. I am so thankful that you turned toward God and are here to share your story and His amazing love for us. BARBARA, so glad you read Debra's devotion May God lift your spirits and everyone of us who needs a lift. We sometimes feel like helpless little lambs, but we have an amazing Shepherd!! Have a blessed day everyone and a safe Halloween!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:31AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Debra - Praises to God and to your life! Thank you so much for your devotional, and for sharing this devotional with us - what power the Lord has! May we all have the courage to ask for help when needed!
Blessings!!!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by Barbara of Falls Church, VA

Thank you for sharing your story, Debra. How wonderful that you were able to see God's message to you in that prayer card. More and more, I am learning that what seem to be coincidences, are really God's messages of hope, love and encouragement to me. God speaks to me in very simple acts, and I am thankful that he has opened my eyes to see them. "We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:42AM CDT

Father God , thank you for the signs you give us that life is indeed worth living. Thank you that you always reach out to us with arms wide open, ready to comfort us and give us hope. Thank you for the powerful words of Isaiah ; these have brought me hope many times. Lord we lift up Ronnie's husband to you. Send an angel his way to give him a message of hope. We pray for Raynard's wife's family. Bring peace to this family and help them ready in your love. We pray for those dealing with cancer. We pray for those in Hawaii, those dealing with ebola and other illnesses. We pray for all who live in fear. Be with us this day. Keep us safe and in your care. IJN. Amen .

Posted October 31, 2014 at 06:56AM CDT
Comment by Sandra of Summerville, SC

Good mornig everyone! Thank you Debra for your devotional. God is an on time God. He is there when we lesat expect it, especially when we are going through rough times. I thank him everyday for being there for me and allowing me to see that there is a brighter day.
Everyone have a blessed and great weekend!!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 07:01AM CDT

Debra, what I wonderful devotional. God reached for you through a prayer card on the ground that either had been lost or thrown away. You are now a living, loving Christian sister that testifies to God's saving grace and why we must obey the Great Commission with testifying, passing out tracks, scriptures, prayer cards, etc. and whatever it takes to get the Word out to a lost and dying world.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 07:18AM CDT
Comment by Judy of Columbia, SC

Debra....thank you for your heart-felt message...GOD IS GOOD. He is always there for all of us - we have to step out in faith and ASK. I pray that you have continued success in warding off DEPRESSION/DESPAIR/LONELINESS....all are life-threatening as you so richly stated. GOD loves YOU and he has your back!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 07:34AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Thank you Lord for giving us a brand new day! Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Thank you Debra for sharing your story!
My 4th day talk went well last nite. I got a lot of positive feedback.
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 07:51AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Debra, thank you for sharing your story. God reached down to you and your time of need! Praise Him. He is always there for us, whether through His signs or through other people...or even through us TO other people. Praise His name!

God bless.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 07:56AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

Debra, such a powerful devotion! Thank you for sharing it.
Ronnie, my special prayer for your husband.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 08:00AM CDT
Comment by Nell

Debra, thank you for your devotional. I kept the "Don't Quit" poem on my desk at the DHS office for years. I don, 't remember how I got the card; I believe God knew I needed it. My father took his life when I was a senior in college and then my son who looked so much like my dad, and even asked, "why did he do this to me." He was l6 and the time, never met my dad, but heard many stories about him since we continued to live in the same area. My son lived six years after that question. My father had an uncle and also a nephew who took their lives. Depression seems to run in some families as do other illnesses. Dan, I appreciate your comments everyday. You give real life experiences of encounters with real people showing your love for others. I feel like most of them either respond in love for you or inwardly are deeply affected by your loving ways. I enjoy associating with special needs people; they usually show so much love. I need that love from others, as well as need to be loving others as God tells us. I pray that I will continue to grow in love for others, and also that I will gracefully receive that love that others have shown me and I believe that God will continue to shower that love on me. That's what has kept me going since those dates March 13, 1960 and February 4, 1998. God also led me to a job with the Dept of Human Services instead of a teaching career.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 08:03AM CDT

Dear Heavenly Father thank you for Debra's message this morning. Though I've never been suicidal, I have been in deep depression and through loving friends, neighbors, family and my God, I pull through. Lately, I have experienced a lot of anixety and pray that this soon will end. I appreciate you prayers. Ronnie, prayers for your husband that he will feel and hear God's calling and that his needs will be met. Raynard, prayers for your and your wife as you attend your uncle's funeral tomorrow, that all will be peaceful and the Love of God will prevail. My sincere prayers for all needs brought to us today that the God of Healing will touch each need. "ASK"

Posted October 31, 2014 at 08:05AM CDT
Comment by Nell

OOPS! I wasn't ready to post, so I finally am back in. As I commented earlier, those real life examples of love at work mean so much to me. I appreciate all of the devotionals so much and if I were gifted in that area would try to write some. I have a cousin who writes quite often and has had several featured with another site. Keep up the good works of showing love to others, Dan, and others. And receive that love that is returned to you gracefully. God's blessings to each and everyone on this beautiful day that the Lord hath made!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 08:23AM CDT
Comment by Gary of Wilmore, KY

DEBRA:
  The fact that you stated you did not have a relationship with God when you found the card makes your story most intriguing. You had nothing to prove to your readers that God was blessing you because of your goodness but that God was blessing you because of God's love for you. It has been my experience that God shows up at just the right time when I feel I am in a crisis & I am amazed at his uncanny timing. I am also amazed God reaches out to me even though I have done NOTHING to deserve such kindness. Thank you for sharing this wonderful, personal experience.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 08:42AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Seattle, WA

Thankyou Debra for your personal devotional. Prayers also for returning vets. As you know suicide rate is very high for our returning warriors- more are lost in this manner than in the actual conflicts.
I heard a survivor parent say-" We did not know he was mortally wounded in his soul." Prayer for all those who are wounded in their soul. Some of these psychic wounds are worse than the physical manifestation.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 09:10AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Seattle, WA

Thanks for song suggestion Matt-Not familiar with this group. Great song.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 09:13AM CDT
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Good morning family! Debra, I needed this today. I got some not so great news yesterday which I may share later, but this was just what I needed. It is true, that God gives us what we need when we need it, his timing is perfect. Today is my husband's birthday and we are having guests for cake and ice cream. To keep my mind occupied I made the cutest pumpkin cake from two bundt cakes with flat sides together. I thought of you, Raynard, and hoped I got it right. Focusing on others and giving them what we need is a great remedy, plus being in the scripture! Have a blessed day all!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 09:19AM CDT
Comment by Georgia of Woodstock, GA

Thank you, Debra, for passing along God's "Don't Quit" card to me this morning. Just last night I said "I can't do this. I give up." I have been wrestling with food addiction all my life. There have been long periods of victory but they never last. As recently as last Sunday I went to the altar and vowed to start again. And by Thursday I am giving in to the lure of temporary pleasure at the cost of my health, my self-esteem, my vow to God. Matt, your posting of "God, I Need You Now" sealed the deal. I often say Jesus is the Lord of my life but that isn't true if I hide away this area for myself. Thank you, Father, for second chances. I will begin again. By posting this here in a safe but public place I am declaring out loud to myself via my Lord and Savior once and for all "Don't Quit!"

Posted October 31, 2014 at 09:20AM CDT

Debra Pierce (Massachusetts), thank you for sharing your experience with mental illness and suicidal thoughts. It is sad when someone reaches that point of hopelessness and believes there is no way out of it. Thank God you saw that card... thank God someone dropped that card and it landed right where you needed to see it when you needed to see it. His timing is always perfect... if we but have eyes to see and ears to hear...He is always trying to reach us, touch us, always is loving us... but as with any gift, it has to be received. You received that card that said "Don't Quit", you received the hope that it gave you to go one more day, one day at a time. And then you received the medical help and the counseling and pastoral help and eventually received Jesus into your heart. You didn't quit...you received. Hallelujah! I had always thought people who contemplated suicide as being selfish people, until in my own depression almost 27 years ago, I reached the point of understanding how someone could.... There was one time, when I had a severe asthma attack and the rescue squad had to come to transport me to the hospital... I had struggled so hard to just get one breath in and then back out again, for so long that I was exhausted, and so close to death that the squad couldn't even get a blood pressure reading on me, and in my depressed state I remember thinking I could just not struggle to take in the next breath, I could just relax and let death come.... and God clearly said to me... "You are not done raising your son yet." I drew in the next breath, and let it out... drew in the next one and let it out... and 30+ years later, I'm still breathing in and breathing out. And praising God each day! Hallelujah!
Tommie of Dayton, TN, thank you again for posting one of Adam's prayers. This one seems quite appropriate for today's topic.
SARAH of Berwyn, IL, I'm in agreement in prayer for those who have been missing from our UR family gatherings.
MONTE of laughlintown, PA, SO good to see you back! Glad you and Carolyn took some down time and had safe travels to and back from PA to visit her step brother, Dave. Have lifted him in prayer...and NOW begins the praise for what God sees as complete.
KATHY, having had asthma all my life I can identify with your problem. I found a product called InflamX Plus, which can be purchased on Amazon.com. It is a bit expensive, but since taking it daily I have not needed any of my other asthma medications so I'm not out that expense, it balances out and is healthier because it is simply nutrients...vitamins and minerals. It has helped me tremendously. I've been taking it going on 2 years. And I have lifted your attorney in prayer that she will receive God's love for her and let Him rub off the rough edges of her 'personality'. He didn't create a rough personality in her, it developed through rough circumstances. (speaking from personal experience) She has to be willing to let Him 'sand her down'. And NOW begins the praise for the change that's about to occur in her, for the answered prayer God already sees as complete! Hallelujah! And for you also!
 TRAIAIN, of Romania, what a wonderful tradition for this day... much preferable to how it is 'glorified' in America.
MATT, thank you for the Winton Churchill quote.
We are all so blessed, whether we are in a state of mind to see it or not.
We are all so blessed to know and BE IN relationship with The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, who is HERE FOR us, to be our Helper and our Counselor.
We are so blessed to have "don't quit" 'cards' come our way JUST WHEN we need them.
We are so blessed to have this UR site to come to each day.
Cyber hugs and warm mugs on this chilly, drizzly day. YOU...yes...YOU are LOVED beyond comprehension by a God who has so much love to give away He created YOU to love! Receive it!

Posted October 31, 2014 at 09:33AM CDT