Sign-up Today!

Mornings with God

Saturday, October 25th, 2014

Read Psalm 1:1-3

View the Sept-Oct, 2014 Issue

Their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night.

- Psalm 1:2 (NRSV)

I woke up and immediately started rehearsing my to-do list for the day. Sprinkled throughout my mental list were worries and concerns about my family. The things to do and family cares seemed to assault my whole body, not just my mind. My neck muscles tensed up, and my mind could not focus even on my waking-up routine.

I reached for the Bible and sat up in my bed. Focusing on reading the Bible and The Upper Room daily meditation began to dissolve the stress I felt. I continued with The Upper Room Disciplines devotional and my prayer journal. I finished with prayer.

After spending this time with God, I still had my to-do list, but I had more perspective on it. Tomorrow might yield another to-do list; but if I handle it with God, through prayer and meditation, it will be manageable.

Norma P. Marroquin (Texas)

Reaching for God’s word in the morning helps us face the day.

Ever-present God, when the cares of our lives press in on us, quiet our minds enough to focus on you. Amen.

Prayer focusThose overwhelmed by daily concerns

Link to This Devotional

Comment by Stuart of Gulfport, MS

NORMA-------------I have to visit scripture sometimes hourly, but as Psalm 1 says, we must "Meditate" on HIS word day and night, regardless, and HE promises that we will prosper..................
Thank You Norma for sharing this wonderful devotion and scripture with me.

Posted October 24, 2014 at 09:28PM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Hello UR family. Norma, yes talk and spending time with God is a good way to start our day.

Heaven Father thank you for all the wonderful prayer warriors on this site. Amen.

Posted October 24, 2014 at 10:08PM CDT

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Norma, for your devotional this morning. For many years I have made it a daily practice to start out each morning by reading from the Scriptures and from several devotionals. Feeding each day on His Word should be more important than even our physical food. It does, indeed, truly help me face each day.
JACKIE of San Antonio - I am praying for both you and your husband, Mitchell, as you will be having to put to sleep your beloved cat, Roxy, who has severe cancer of her throat. I pray that she will pass on peacefully, and that the Lord will give you special comfort with this difficult decision. * JUDY of Yalaha, FL - I am praying for the elderly retired missionary, Lillian, that the Lord will bring her healing from the medical problems she has. I pray for healing from gall bladder problems, and for the fluid in her lungs to be removed. I pray wisdom for her doctors to know the best way to treat these problems.
GEORGE of Virginia Beach - I am praising the Lord with you that your sister-in-law, Annette, received another good report back from her cancer tests! I pray that the Lord will continue His healing to her and that she will get more good test results, and that the cancer be officially in remission. * NANCY of Athens, GA - I am lifting your ex-husband in prayer, as he is not recovering as well as expected from surgery earlier this week. I pray that the Lord will bring him healing, and that he will turn around and have a complete and total recovery.
CHRIS of Myerstown - I am joining you in prayer for the family, friends, and co-workers of Nathan Cirillo, the Honor Guard from Canada, who was shot and killed by a Muslim terrorist. I pray that the Lord will bring them peace and comfort during this time. Prayers also for the police officers in New York who were injured by an axe-wielding Muslim terrorist. I pray that the Lord will bring them a complete recovery.
DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I am praising the Lord that the young boy, Caleb, is doing better and may be going home soon to continue outpatient chemo treatments. I pray that the Lord will bring little Caleb complete healing, and that his chemo treatments will be effective, and that they will not be too rough for him. I am praying for his parents, too, that the Lord will uphold them, and give them peace and strength. * CHERIE of Mena, AR - I am lifting both you and your husband, Ron, in prayer today, that the Lord will bring you both healing from the viruses that you seem to have. I pray that any medication you might be taking will be effective, that you can get some rest this weekend, and that you will be feeling better soon.
KIM of Locust Grove - I am praying for you, that your sick feelings from the chemo will quickly pass, and that the Lord will give you renewed strength. I pray that He will use these treatments to destroy all of the cancer, and bring you complete health. I also really like your idea of getting water bottles and put the Bible verses on it as you pass them out!
Prayers for the families of the victims of the school shooting in suburban Seattle yesterday, that the Lord will give them comfort and uphold them during this time of sorrow and shock. Praying also for those who were injured and are in the hospital, that the Lord will bring them complete healing from their injuries and recovery.
Prayers also for all those who have Ebola, especially for the doctor in New York who has been recently diagnosed. I pray that the Lord will bring him healing and complete recovery. I pray that no one caring for him will contract the disease. I pray also that the Lord will direct us to find a cure for this disease.

Posted October 24, 2014 at 10:19PM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning Norma, and the URLY birds, Stuart, Jackie and Sarah. I believe what the writer of the first Psalm meant by meditate on the Law of the Lord night and day, is observing God's hand in everything you do. I see analogies in the simplest activities, playing a video game, watching tv, driving to work, reactions with co-workers. The more thoughts of God and His Law that I have, the more I include Him in my self conversations. God bless you Norma!
 Praying for those who are battling health issues, may their minds be stayed on God's promises, filling their minds with thoughts of hope. God let them know that whether it is cancer or some other illness, You are suffering with them, Your desire is to heal them. You are Life. You are God of life, not the dead. Life is ever seeking more life. Your words O Lord, are eternal, they stand firm, all creation hangs on Your every word. In Your perfect peace, with our minds stilled, Your words, not ours, restore health to the body, and we Praise You, for we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Perfect love casts out fear and those who rest in the Lord(Law), find perfect peace. They find firm footing on the Rock of God, the Cornerstone of Life. God is with you, God is with me, whom shall we fear? Nothing or no one. All things created derives it's power from God, therefore if God be with you, who or what can stand against you? Your thoughts are the link, or pipeline to all things created. Cut off the supply to fears and worries and they dry up and blow away. Return unto me, thus says the Lord. Come unto me, all you who are heavily burdened. It's your thoughts that must return to Him. You live part time in the physical world, but you dwell 24/7 in your thought life.
   1:1 Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers;
1:2 but their delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law they meditate day and night.
1:3 They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 03:47AM CDT

Norma, thank you for your devotion this morning; few of us, if any, don't struggle with our own mountains now and then as we awake. I received a special tip on the radio about 11:15 am, back in 2000 while I was on my way into the homeless shelter for worship. It came from a 15 minute program on women's issues presented by Elizabeth Elliott. I always went early so I wouldn't miss it. To preface this, when you consider her life, and the hardships she faced, not just a few times, but for decades after the death of her husband Jim at the hands of natives in South America back in the '50's, it was always mind-numbing for me. I truly hesitate to abstract her story, but if you, as one of my UR family draw a blank on this, suggest you Google her and read about what she and the wives of the other men who died that day subsequently went through.
Her suggestion that day, and many times later over the years I listened was: 'Do the next thing'. This sounds so incredibly simple, but it is not natural; our flesh wants to draw and quarter us with worries and responsibilities in a hundred different direction. I would suggest adding this to the morning prayer each day; this is a suggestion to me as well, because lately it so applies. Thank you, Norma, for reminding me.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:21AM CDT

Good morning all up early to go work the early election polls. Boy it is really quiet and nippy out what a beautiful day provided by our Lord!!! Praise the Lord!!! Norma, thanks for the scripture and your devotional that reminds us to spend time with the Lord in prayer and reading of the word. I find it so comforting when I spend my morning in prayer and the word which leads me to a much more peaceful day all around. When those challenges in life arise I just seek the Lord's advice and wallah there it is so bold even I can understand what to do. It all comes back to "let go and let God". What a great medical response for Annetta George praise the Lord!!! Praying all the UR Family has a great day filled with God's advice and may His healing mercies and love touch us all. God is Love!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:25AM CDT

Forgot to thank all those who sent Happy Birthday greeting to my wife Patti. Thanks so much that means so much to her. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:27AM CDT
Comment by Stuart of Gulfport, MS

CHRIS----------I love your comment about meditation-------"Self Conversations"---------I just recently heard Dr. Mike Murdock define meditation as taking scripture and "Muttering to Oneself"......
So I guess Meditation is "Muttering the scriptures to ourselves as we have our Self Conversation"

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:33AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning, everyone. Please join me in thanking God for this new day. Happy Saturday! Happy birthday and anniversary to all those celebrating today. Thank you for your devotional, Norma. I can relate to much of what you said. Thanks again. I am praying for safety in this day for all.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:39AM CDT

UR friends, I mentioned a while ago I've been blessed to circulate a book cart around our county jail. Many of the men there are ravenous readers; when they come in to exchange books, they talk about the ones they have read, and make suggestions to the others. This is an important ministry of the Chaplaincy, even though very few of them select spiritual materials. First of all, when they submerse themselves in a book, the enjoyment it brings is a temporary distraction from the fears and worries about what they have coming up; what will happen, who will help them, how long will they be incarcerated, and what will happen to their families. Reading is also good for their minds and attitude, and there is a sense of positive community among the readers, usually of action/adventure, mystery, suspense, war and science fiction paperback.
I mention this because the paperbacks, as you would expect, wear out; when they lose their cover and/or the binding breaks we have to pitch them; some each shift. This creates an ongoing need. The reason I bring this up today; each shift, Latino inmates come up to me and ask if there is anything on the cart in Spanish. Nearly always, I have to tell them there is not, and it breaks my heart. They have the same needs, and because of their language issue, they also experience intense isolation, in addition to what the other guys go through.
We are always trying to find books for the men; at used book fairs, Goodwill, Salvation Army, church drives and yard sales. It's ongoing. Since I don't want to miss any suggestions you might have for either the English or Spanish speaking men, I will include my e-mail address: dannelson7@triad.rr.com. I'm in prayer about this, and particular for the men who speak Spanish; I have found few sources for them. Thank you for your help and prayers about this.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:41AM CDT

Norma, thank you for the reading. I have anxiety and depression that sometimes gets debilitating until I calm down and pray for guidance to do the next right thing. I am amazed how most of the time it is not any of the things I thought were so urgent. Praying for all with health, emotional, and financial needs, and those unemployed or underemployed. Sarah, praying for you and your family, and thanks for all you do for this online community. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:44AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thank you, Norma, for your devotional. What a blessing it is to come early in the morning to spend time with God. He fills us with joy and peace to face the day ahead. Several lines from different hymns are going through my mind, "And He walks with me and he talks with me" "Early in the morning, our song shall rise to Thee" Prayers for the needs of our cyber fellowship of believers. Yesterday, my husband tripped and fell twisting his ankle. He was in a lot of pain and could hardly put any weight on his foot. The doctor gave him some medicine and prescribed rest for the next 3-5 days. I thank God that it wasn't more serious. We had made plans for different activities throughout the weekend and changes had to be made. Some things I'll have to do on my own, but others will have to be postponed. A good reminder that life is a precious gift. Have a wonderful day.
*******
Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
******
Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.
****
Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.
******
by Karolina W. Sandell-Berg, 1865 tr. by Andrew L. Skoog and music by Oskar Ahnfelt, 1872. Public Domain.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 05:49AM CDT

Good morning my friends. Norma, welcome to the UR family and thank you for your devotional contribution. We all need to be in constant contact with the Lord. There have been times that I have had difficulty making this the first thing that I do, at least on this page due to computer difficulties caused by the weather. However, I do have a printed copy to fall back on. The church where I worship makes them available for those who desire to have one. I try to start the day with prayers of thanksgiving to Him for what He has done for each of us and then I ask for His help as we struggle to live in this world. I ask for prayers for one of our people at the senior center. Vern was injured in a car wreck many years ago and has to use a walker to get around. He fell at home about a week ago and broke an ankle. He may not be back at the center for at least 6 months, if at all. I pray for healing for him and that he will soon be coming back to the center. He is only 60 years old. We at the center do miss him and his sense of humor in spite of his own troubles. I pray tht the Lord will bless all of us today, all around the world and provide us with the means to comfort and help all who are troubled by insufficient employment, financial problems, illness, family problems. and the increasing amount of disease and violence in our world. Praise the Lord!!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 06:09AM CDT

Chris love URLY birds ;-) and Norma thank you for the message this day. I start my day with visiting the UR....today I did not even though it is still dark out, I am just now getting to it....had some "housekeeping issues" to take care of. Blessings to all this day and it is a beauty in the making. Indian Summer it would seem. I do recall halloween with snow and wearing shorts so it can obviously go either way in this part of the U.S.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 06:44AM CDT
Comment by Janet of Johnstown, PA

Thank you, Norma for your devotional. If for some reason I do not start my day with the UR and prayers, I feel lost like something is missing in the day.
Blessings to all.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 06:45AM CDT

Good morning to all today. Norma thank you for today's devotion. I like, George, have days of anxiety and depression and only by constant prayer and mediating on scripture can I make it through the day. I really don't know what brings if on, but I continue to ask to prayers from each of you that I can 'let go and let God' take control. Any suggestions you can provide for me will be greatly appreciated. Lydia of Cummings, prayers for your husband that he will be up and about soon. To all who will come to our 'cyber chapel' through the day, know that you are in my prayers and may the blessed peace and love of God be with each one today. "ASK"

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:00AM CDT
Comment by Brent of West Monroe, LA

Good morning everyone and thank you Norma for your devotional. Like a lot of us I too read my bible, the devotional, and the comments the first thing in the morning. Afterwards I feel like I can meet the day for whatever it brings. But there are days that I may not have time to do this the first thing in the morning and on those days I feel lost or the feeling that something is missing. It's like yesterday I forgot my watch even though I had my cell phone to tell the time I continued to look at my wrist for my watch. It just didn't feel right until I got home and put the watch on. It does make a better day when we start out with the Lord. I pray everyone will have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:09AM CDT
Comment by Lily of Palmyra, NJ

G'morning everyone! Thank you Norma for this reminder to meditate on God's Word day & night I pray for us all to prosper in whatever we do, knowing that every good thing comes from the Lord if we are faithful to drink of His well. Reach out to Jesus, bc He's reaching out to you (song from Elvis how Great thou art album )....showing my age. God Bless you'll♡

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:23AM CDT
Comment by Joe of Fulton, MO

Thank you, Norma, for a very sweet, revealing devotional. It confirms something I always 'preach' on. I have never, ever prayed, read the Bible, or been with God's people that I didn't feel better about everything afterwords.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:28AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

God has blessed us with a new day! I see the sun peeking over the horizon.
Thank you Norma for your devotional today! I have Jesus Calling by my bed and this morning was especially good reminding me that Immanuael, God is with us, and Jesus, God Saves. After rising and feeding my cats, I fuel my body with oatmeal and my spirit with the UR.
Thank you for your prayers! I am feeling anxious about my new job that starts Monday.
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:29AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Norma - what a glorious devotional - it created in me such joy to start the day, thank you!
Blessings!!!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:38AM CDT
Comment by Cathy

Thanks for all the wonderful "tidbits" today related to this topic. Before I arose this morning, I too began with thoughts of worry---no parts for my recalled car, $ in general, direction of business, etc. what a relief, even a balm to have prayer to comfort, refocus and direct me. Dan's "do the next thing" is like the other saying of "first things first" which for me, can be as basic as eating breakfast which I frequently need to be reminded to do. Thanks to Norma for this reflection.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 07:57AM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

Norma, you are so right about how to start the day. When I was younger by many years, I started the day with the morning news programs. Now the most important activity for me for me before anything else is spending time with The Lord, in His word, in meditation using The Upper Room as a guide, and prayer. By starting my day with God I am assured that what comes my way will be handled, whatever is on my to do list that's important will be done and I'll have a good day. Thank you for sharing. May God bless us all.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:13AM CDT
Comment by cherie of mena, AR

Good morning all. Thank you Norma for your devotional. I start each day with my UR devotional and several others. Julia's Defeat Despair is wonderful too. I have to stay connected to the source of Love daily. Please keep us in your prayers as we return home today. I am feeling somewhat better. It may have been a touch of food poisoning from eating out so much recently.

Thank you Sarah and others for all your prayers for my family and others. Ron is still free of infection and I know the UR family's prayers are helping him. I will finally be able to unload our suv today when we are able to return to the studio. Praise God!!!

I am praying for all the family and their trials. Again thank you all for helping me through each day. I look forward to every comment. Love and Light

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:18AM CDT

Good Morning All, Norma when I woke up this morning, my thoughts went to the killing in Seattle, and all the trouble over in Iraq, Iran Afgan.........etc. My devotion time starts with scripture and then to the Upper Room and my URLY bird family. In my Bible reading I was inbetween studies so I just picked a Psalm. Here it is:
     Psalm 25:1-3
To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, I trust in You;
Let me not be ashamed;
Let not my enemies triumph over me.
3 Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed;
Let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause.

God is always there. His Word speaks to our needs, sometimes even before we know what the needs are.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:23AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you Norma for your devotional.Between, my home, job helping my wife with her aunt and uncle and" planning for a family reunion"it's never a dull moment"."Thank God he isnt " like that old cartoon " Mr Magoo" trying to take his road test for his driver's license" I digress. Saturday has dual meaning for me. Catch up on household chores, date day with my wife and " mental health day".. Something about starting my day with devotionals and scripture beats turning on the TV . ( old habits fade away) Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed every and have a good day..

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:23AM CDT
Comment by Barbara

To steal an old saying...A day without the Upper Room Devotional, your comments of encouragement and inspiration and God's word is like a day without sunshine. His word and your words brings light into a dark world and warms my heart with love, joy and hope. Norma thank you for your devotional today. I love your prayer focus and Psalm 1 has just become one of my favorite Psalms! Sarah I cherish your prayers for others and echo them for all who are mentioned. Monte your recaps are a treasure as I don't always get to come back to read the rest of the comments. And Lydia I love your hymn selections. You always seem to find ones that echo the theme of the devotional. You all have become part of my daily morning ritual and your words encourage, inspire and give me strength. Prayers for all those struggling with health, financial, emotional and spiritual concerns. May you feel God's presence in your life today and always. Trusting in God's Promises. Barbara from Buffalo NY.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:32AM CDT
Comment by Steve of Knoxville, TN

Good morning everyone, what a beautiful day our Lord has provided. I love fall weather! Norma, thank you for today's devotional. I can't start to imagine starting my day without prayer, Bible reading and The Upper Room. I might have to skip breakfast, but I won't skip my devoted time.

Prayers for all prayer requests and praise reports.

Everyone have a blessed and a safe day.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:35AM CDT
Comment by Barbara

Wanted to share this with you. Our world has become a dark and violent place. This article from Shepherd Press is a profound commentary on our times and our need to be the light the world.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:37AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Salem, MI

Good Morning UR Family,
Thank you Norma for helping us to start our day with God.
I will ask you to reflect back upon yesterday and ask how were you a "water" giver to someone yesterday? How will you be a "water" giver to someone today.
Prayers for all the needs shared and Praises for all Blessings received. GLYASDI

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:40AM CDT
Comment by Donna of San Marcos, TX

Good morning, dear UR Family! Thank you Norma for this inspiring devotional. This morning, as I began my prayer time, my Mom got up early and interrupted me. I was able to be kind and attend to her need, then began again. If I had not had this cyber chapel to return to, I might have just given up. The scripture spoke to me, and all of you who have posted spoke to me, and I do feel better! I feel connected again. I sometimes get distracted when I pray, and I feel guilty about that. I have asked the Lord to help me with this problem and the answer is to read scripture or a devotional that guides my mind to the right place. Dear Lord, we give you praise for who you are to us and thank you for saving us. We ask for your healing touch to be with those who have been lifted up this morning, and bring comfort to those who are hurting. Help all of us to be mindful of You this day, IJN, amen. Blessings to all!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:46AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Salem, MI

Good Morning again UR Family,
I ask that you go to ODB.org for today for another reflection on Praying First.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 08:49AM CDT
Comment by Penny of Midland, NC

Good morning everyone! Norma, thank you for your devotional and 'food for thought'. This is something I need to do everyday with my thoughts of worry and stress...grab the Bible, let go, and let God. Have a great day!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 09:11AM CDT

Good Morning UR family and Norma thank you for the devotional. I too wake up worrying about things such as my upcoming teacher evaluation and other health and family worries. However once I start my devotional with UR I feel a sense of peace. I now that all my worries for today and tomorrow melt away because Jesus is right there by my side the whole way.
Raynard; Praying for good health for your wife's aunt and uncle.
Marsha of Brownwood .Texas-Praying that your new job goes well and that it is the perfect fit for you.
Lydia of Cumming, GA Praying for fast healing of your husband's ankle.
KIM of Locust Grove - I am praying for you, that the nausea passes quickly from the chemo and that you get a clean bill of health soon.
Praying for all with Ebiola, for the victims in Seattle, WA and for all on the list spoken or not.
Have a great day UR family.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 09:25AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Seattle, WA

Norma thanks for your devotional. I have a big list of outdoor activities today -but alas the rain continues unabated. I have always liked Psalm one and the image of a tree growing by a river with deep roots sinking into the waters. That verse goes well with yesterday's scripture and the promise of "living water."
Blessings to Dan in his important ministry of hospitality for folks in prison. If I think of something I will try and e-mail.
A sad day yesterday with I think our first high school deadly shooting. There was a shooting at a university last summer. A Christian University -
Seattle Pacific. So much I don't understand. How does a junior student bring an expensive automatic handgun to school? Of course I never thought it could happen in Seattle.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 09:40AM CDT
Comment by Ruth of O'Fallon, IL

This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it! Good Morning All! Norma, I enjoyed your devotional this morning because I can certainly relate! Often times I am so guilty of waking up and the first thing that inundate my mind is my "to do list" for the day. I battle with this quite often so I start to pray when I first wake up. Then I say to myself "God First"! I realize as one lady says the day goes so much better when I do my daily meditation. Life is so fast paced now so we must stop and put things in perspective. I am getting ready to drive three hours to help my daughter celebrate her birthday and I'm running behind this morning. I said to my self, get your daily devotion and meditation done. God has been too good to me for me not to give Him glory and put Him first in my life! I have read the Upper Room for many years and have enjoyed it immensely. I have enjoyed reading it online as I enjoy all the comments although I keep a paper copy when I can't get to my computer! Enjoy the day, be blessed and stay encouraged!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 09:50AM CDT
Comment by Debra of Solon, OH

I start every morning in prayer and meditation like so many of you. It soothes my body and calms my soul like nothing else. We all have our valley experiences, but knowing God is there with us shining his divine mercies upon us makes life in the valley bearable. Thanks be to God and Jesus Christ. All of you and the spoken and unspoken prayers be blessed.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 09:56AM CDT

Norma P. Marroquin (Texas), my immediate thought, upon reading today's scripture, is another scripture; Matthew 22:36-40; 36 “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?” 37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” THE LAW IS LOVE... JUST LOVE. Love God, love your fellow man as much as you love yourself. If you don't know how to LOVE YOURSELF the way God wants you to... ASK HIM and He will teach you.... because you can't love your neighbor properly, God's way, unless you know how to love yourself first.
Stuart of Gulfport, MS, I love the combined definitions of Chris's "Self Conversation", and Dr. Mike Murdock's "meditation", being "Muttering the scriptures to ourselves as we have our Self Conversation". I've copied and pasted it to my 'keepers from UR' file... Thanks.
We are such a blessed people to know The Giver of The Law, LOVE HIMSELF.
We are such a blessed people to come into the understanding that the only LAW to obey is LOVE.
We are such a blessed people to continue to find more 'family' to love, in our UR Family and others that we meet along life's journey.
Cyber hugs and warm mugs to all who enter our Cyber Chapel. You are loved with the kind of LOVE that trumps all other 'laws'.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 10:00AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Good morning! Thank you, Norma for your message today! The thought for the day - reaching for God's Word in the morning helps us face the day - resounds with me. The first web site that I visit when I get to my office in the morning is this one...our UR devotional. It helps me to start the day well!
God bless all!

Posted October 25, 2014 at 10:08AM CDT
Comment by Tracy of Stafford , VA

GM TO MY UPPER ROOM FAMILY! Thank you, Dan, for that AWESOME reminder to keep God first!!! What a great reminder to myself. My hearts desire is to wake up every morning yearning for God's word. Unfortunately, with the issues I am facing in my life today (finances, a place to live, a job to make ends meet), I just can't seem to keep my thoughts or focus so easily on God. To be perfectly honest, I struggle every morning waking up with my mind being FIRST on God. When my eyes open up, I am already deep in thought with my check-list of problems and the "woe-is-me" concerns of the day ahead. Then, I quickly "catch myself" by saying..."Oh-oh, sorry Lord. Good morning!" I am trying to make it a habit (not just any old habit), but something that comes naturally in wanting to wake up with a SONG on my heart, a PRAISE on my lips, and a THANKFUL attitude to God for blessing me with another day. Life's issues will always be before us. That's scripture. Like one blogger quoted from scripture, "If God be for us, who can be against us?" I thank God for the opportunity in allowing me to come before Him just as I am. Problems and all. He is Sovereign over everything, and we just have to trust Him and take Him at His word. It has taken me a long time to believe in those words. Even in believing those words, I still cry sometimes with fear of what's ahead/the unknown. But I quickly remind myself that I must do as Proverbs 3:5-6 states: "Trust in Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. But in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path." I thank God that I make it my business to stay connected to Him, His word, my various devotions, and of course, my UR Family! I draw strength from your comments, and pray that God will meet each and every one of your needs! Have a blessed day in the Lord! I certainly plan on it! :-)

Posted October 25, 2014 at 10:29AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Norma P. Marroquin: Thank you for your devotional today. It sounds like you're ALL STRESSED OUT with worry, and that you are using "reading the Bible", the "Upper Room daily devotional" and "Prayer journal" like a drug fix. The affect that you are receiving is only very temporal because it sounds like you have to do it every morning.
What happens if the time comes and you don't have a Bible, The Upper Room or your Prayer journal? Does this mean that your life will not be manageable? I recommend that you Place Your TRUST in God ALONE, that He will do what is right in every situation in your life, even when you don't see it.
BELIEVING that God will do what is necessary gives us HOPE. And then, LOVING as God does by GIVING To Those Around Us Without Requiring In Return, gives us the Strength to Overcome each day.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 11:24AM CDT
Comment by Mary

Thank you Norma. Yours is a good reminder that things go better when we start the day with God, whether it be through reading his word, devotionals, or talking to Him through prayer. The Lord bless you
Mary Haskett Canada

Posted October 25, 2014 at 12:30PM CDT
Comment by Diana H of Dunwoody, GA

Chris and Marshall, thanks for your help! I'm at home for a while! With Wi-fi! Thanks for all your prayers. My F-I-L, Russ, is going to an assisted living place. He agreed to go for a month to get more PT, then today told me to call them and cancel it. More prayers for his understanding and for him to maybe realize where he is after he moves in, but I don't think he'll remember. Mom and Dad seem to be doing fine in Gulf Breeze, FL. I ask for answers to requests, both spoken and those kept on the heart. Hopefully I will be able to read more today or tomorrow. Thanks friends in Christ.

Posted October 25, 2014 at 03:40PM CDT