Sign-up Today!

Traveling, Broke, Hungry

Monday, September 1st, 2014

Read Luke 6:33-38

View the Sept-Oct, 2014 Issue

The righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?”

- Matthew 25:37 (NIV)

One hot summer day, as we waited in line at a red light, we saw a young man up ahead, holding a sign that read, “TRAVELING, BROKE, HUNGRY.” We did not stop to help him. As we drove past, we debated whether or not we should go back. We decided to buy him some food and a soft drink. I returned to the intersection with a bag of food and a few dollars to give to him. As I approached, I could see the tattoo emblazoned across the young man’s face. I imagined how this might make some people hesitant to help him. Yet, we were glad that we had stopped to help.

Throughout the Gospels, Jesus tells us to help others we meet on the highway of life, to put our faith into action. He encourages us to give and not look for anything in return, to love our neighbors as ourselves. Showing compassion for those less fortunate than ourselves is one way we reflect the presence of Jesus Christ in our lives.

James C. Seymour, Jr. (New York)

Acting on my faith means that I will not pass by someone in need.

Prayer focusTravelers

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, James, for your devotional this morning. I have made it a practice, and taught my two children, also, to give to the homeless and “beggars” on the street. Being unemployed myself, I certainly don’t have much to give, but what I have I share. And it really upsets me when I hear of more and more cities across the country where they are making it illegal to help and feed the homeless.
JAMES of Fayetteville, GA - I am praying for you and your family as you grieve the passing of your aunt, your father’s sister. I pray that the Lord will bring you all comfort during this time of mourning, and fill you all with His peace and love.
MONTE - I pray that all went well yesterday morning as you led the worship at the assisted living center. I pray that the Holy Spirit used your message to bring a blessing to all who attended. I am also continuing in prayer that the Lord will lead a good prospective tenant your way to rent your property.
CHERIE of Inverness, FL - I am in fervent prayer for your husband, Ron, as he is in ICU with sepsis. I pray that the Lord will bring him complete healing. I pray for wisdom for the doctors, and that all mediation and treatment will be effective. I pray the Lord will lift both his and your spirits, uphold you during this trial, and give you peace. I pray, also, that Ron will have a good, kind, caring and wise doctor, one that he will trust and feel comfortable with.
MARSHA of Brownwood, TX - I am lifting you in prayer as you face the coming first anniversary of your mother’s death. I pray that the Lord will uphold you, and give you His comfort and peace as you remember her.
JULIE of Delray Beach, FL - I am praising the Lord with you that your sore throat is feeling better. I pray that the Lord will continue His healing, and that you will feel completely better following the extra day of rest today before you head back to school.
DONNA of San Marcos, TX - I am praying for your uncle, who is in the ER in Houston due to breathing trouble. I pray that the Lord brings him healing, and that his condition improves so he can return home. I also pray the Lord heals the chronic illness he has, too. I am praising the Lord that your foot has improved, you have no pain, and can put even weight on it.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:09AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning James and Sarah, what way to start September, with giving! For myself, giving to someone in need makes me feel good, which is reward enough for me. I have lived in the streets with nothing but the clothes on my back, and know the disgusted looks and fearful ones of those who have not been down an out yet. I remember one summer day many years ago, me and another homeless friend of mine, decided to cross the street jaybirding instead of at the intersection. You could hear car doors locking, like dominoes in both directions, I thought it was kinda funny. I guess we looked the part. Joe looked like an evil version of Moses, minus the beard, with drug streaked silver hair, and I looking like a Neanderthal decked out in the latest goodwill fashion. Ah the good ole days, carefree!
People amaze me though, cause the next person you meet says hi, like we were Yankee doodle dandy. I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude and regular shower. Jokes aside, it gave me a different perspective on the poor. You can have nothing, yet with a good attitude, I could still enjoy a laugh at myself. God is with you no matter what you have or don't have. Giving of yourself to somebody don't cost anything. Have a wonderful day!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 03:56AM CDT

James, thank you for this devotion, and for having a heart for those who struggle in their lives. We can
never really know why someone is on the street, or how they use the money they raise. I am blessed to work at the shelter 3-4 days/week, and will be conducting a worship service there today. My original calling was to go beyond helping the people I run into, and to have relationships with people on the street. Martin (currently; several others before) have been friends, so I know more about them and their culture. To keep this short, the money they get is like manna; generally, they spend it all that day, and they are not adverse to sharing with each other when someone is in need of a few bucks for the bus, a cigarette or a drink. Otherwise, they are just like us; you have nice people, and those who are less enjoyable to be around, but those of us who are Christians greet each other, and like to show the Hope that is within us to those who are hopeless. This is just my experience.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 04:42AM CDT

Good morning! James thank you for the thought-provoking message. My daughter and I have provided food to those we have encountered at stoplights whether it be her school lunch or a purposeful purchase when we were getting our own meal. I rarely carry cash so I pray that what we had was a blessing to those folks and would hope I could receive the same if I were in that position. It is sad that so many folks are being evicted in shorter and shorter time without being given a chance. Definitely the domino effect as I know the landlords have bills to pay as well. It does not make it any less sad. Thank you Sarah, Chris and Dan for your input as well. Happy Labor Day to all in the U.S.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 05:02AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thanks for your devotional, James. And thanks also to Sarah, Chris and Dan for sharing your experiences. Today's Biblical passage is powerful. God's calling is to a high standard of love and compassion. We want to show God's love to the world through our actions. Have a wonderful day in the Lord.
*******
It may not be on the mountain’s height,
Or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front,
My Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls,
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine,
I’ll go where You want me to go.
****
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
******
Perhaps today there are loving words
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin,
Some wand’rer whom I should seek;
O Savior, if Thou wilt be my guide,
Though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo Thy message sweet,
I’ll say what You want me to say.
******
There’s surely somewhere a lowly place,
In earth’s harvest fields so white,
Where I may labor through life’s short day,
For Jesus the Crucified;
So trusting my all to Thy tender care,
And knowing Thou lovest me,
I’ll do Thy will with a heart sincere,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
******
by Mary Brown and Carrie E. Rounsefell, 1899. Public Domain.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 05:19AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning, everyone. Happy Monday! I am thankful that the Lord has allowed me to see another day filled with new mercies. Thank you for your devotional, James. I have prayed that I am able to help as many people as possible in this day. You have helped me by sharing your story of faith.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 05:40AM CDT
Comment by Steve of Knoxville, TN

Good morning Sarah, Chris, Dan, JK and everyone! Thank you, James, for your devotional this morning. I too try to help those in need, be it with money, food or a good cold drink (water or soda) on a hot day. My wife and I have learned through our law enforcement careers, I'm retired, she's still working, of various scams and rackets envolving the homeless and those simply acting. One going on here now is akin to a prostitution ring where someone recruits various homeless people, the more disabled, the better and transports them to malls, box stores, etc and drops them off for the day. For their transportation fee, they get ALL of the money the homeless collect, giving back only a small percentage. Dan or Chris might be able to shed more light on this. Like JK and others, we've started giving food and drink instead of cash.
About a month ago, we encountered a poor soul in a wheel chair, sitting out in a Wally World parking lot. It was in the upper 90's. Who ever dumped him, left him where there was no shade. The man had one freshly amputated leg, the other was swollen and had diabetic scabs. The fair skined man was sunburned on all exposed skin. A lady had bought some sun screen. We got cold water while someone else got food. My wife called a friend in the elder abuse unit of the police department who sent a road unit out. Sorry that this is so long, but I have to admit to this family of believers that the old me wanted to come out and wait on the poeple that dumped this poor man out like that. I praise God that I'm a changed person. I'm glad that He put us in that gentleman's life that day. I cried then, I'm crying now. God is good!!!!
Prayers for all prayer requests and praise reports.
Everyone have a blessed and safe Labor Day.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 05:50AM CDT
Comment by Willis of Jackson, TN

Good Morning UR Family:
JAMES--thanks for the devotional this morning. I regularly serve in the local soup kitchen, each person there has some kind of need--love, food, shelter, compassion. We try to meet those needs by greeting them with love and sincerity, looking them in the face while we say good morning, GOD bless you or some other appropriate words. We treat them like we would like to be treated.
I have a large prayer request----MY step son ( TY ) was riding his bicycle yesterday and a lady in a car cut him off and he tried to stop and went over the handle bars. He crushed his entire right hand and wrist, all the bones were broken. He has surgery this morning. He is married with two children 13 yr old boy and 8 yr old girl.
I trust in the LORD, because HE is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. Praise HIS holy name.
I am praying for all that transit this loving site. GOD IS LOVE!!!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:09AM CDT

James, thank you for the reading and your personal story. I try to carry granola bars and peanut butter crackers with me to give out. The other day I saw a young man on the side of the road, but I did not have anything and I was in a hurry so I moved on, which bothered me. Please keep our 21 year old son Thomas in your prayers, he got stopped after going to a concert the other night and had smoked pot earlier in the evening, but when the officer asked him if he had smoked anything, he repeatedly lied to him and was taken to the hospital for a drug test and charged with DWI. He has tried to quit several times so maybe this will be the wake up call he needs. Praying for all those with health problems and those struggling financially, emotionally, and unemployed or underemployed. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:11AM CDT

Good morning. Thank you James for your meditation to-day. Here in Europe there are a lot of beggars. From professional ones who wait at street crossings (usually Gypsies) to many who wait outside churches etc. It is difficult to know what to do. Some may really be in need and others just exploiting the system. I try to pray about what I should do and act accordingly but it is always difficult to decide.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:12AM CDT

"Helping Father, help us to show gratitude for all that you’ve given to us by helping those in need. Amen."
James...good morning in New York. Welcome to the UR family of generous believers.
Thank you for your inspiring devotional, "Traveling, Broke, Hungry."
My mother would give her last dollar/penny to some one in need...with out thought to her own need.
Her generosity taught me to share with others but to be mindful of how and what I'm sharing.
UR Family...May you enjoy a safe and happy Labor Day Monday.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:18AM CDT
Comment by Ronnie of Cortland , NY

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:33AM CDT
Comment by cherie of inverness, FL

Steve I was so glad to hear how you helped the man in the wheelchair. My heart goes out to the homeless. My landlady here has hinted that it might be better for me to move to a rv park instead of staying in her rental. I think she is afraid to become to involved with all this medical crisis. I don't want to go because Ron will need something familiar when he comes out of the hospital. Even though we have only been here 16 months that is the longest time we have stayed anywhere in years. We have traveled off and on for 24 years.

Please keep us in your prayers. The fear is starting to sit in again and I am praying continuously. Pray for me to have courage. But for the grace of God, I could be the face you see on the corner. I have been homeless before. Thank you all for the comfort you give.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:34AM CDT

Good morning everyone. Thank you Michelle for your devotion yesterday, a reminder to cleanse our souls to end the month. Thank you James for today's devotion. Many a times we see the needy and we pass them because we assume the worse of them. May we always remember Jesus' command to feed the hungry. Thank you Sarah for bringing my nephew and his bride to the throne of God it was a lovely occasion. Wishing you all a very blessed and pleasant September month.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:36AM CDT
Comment by Ronnie of Cortland , NY

Good morning cyber family, even if we don't have anything to give, may we stop and pray.
Praying for all of you today,
Love, Ronnie
Sorry for my blank post, I'm riding an elyptical while I try and type on this iPad. I also have hair dye in my hair with a walmart bag on my head. Praising him through our storms.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by Laura

James - thank you for your devotional - such great lessons, and words to live by in each case!
Blessings!!!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:41AM CDT

Good morning all a great day so quiet outside must be a holiday. Praise the Lord!!! James, thanks for the scripture and your devotional. Our city is one of those that has made roadside panhandling illegal. Which I think is deplorable, in many cases it is the only way individuals can survive since the places that serve the homeless are all full or in need of food and space themselves to feed and keep the homeless. I therefore give to the Skillsbank for every mile of exercise I do and they do miracles with the small amount of money I give them. Like it is said if there is a will there is a way. For those who say they will only take the money for drugs and alcohol that's fine I did my part how they use it is between them and God. Also giving to the church's skills bank I know every penny goes to help someone. Praying for Willis Step-son Ty may his hand be healed. Praying for Thomas my friend George's son, may the Lord step in and heal him. Praying all the UR Family has a day filled with all the love and healing only our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ can provide. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 06:44AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

God has gifted us with a brand new day and a brand new month! An opportunity for a brand new start!
Thank you James for your devotional today!
As I was praying and meditating this morning I received this message from The Holy Spirit, "It's not about me." A deceptively simple statement, but one I need to take to heart. I get so wrapped up in my own problems, I can't see others who are hurting too.
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed and safe day!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 07:00AM CDT

cherie of inverness, FL Praying for you and Ron right now. Such a long battle Just when things seem to be looking up - Ron has had more problems. Know that you are the prayer focus for many of us.
James, a very touching devotional. We don't have as many homeless in the heat of the summer as we do when it gets so cold up nothr. Also living in the country instead of the city makes a difference. I know that many of the larger churches in downtown Orlando have homeless ministries. A couple of years ago after seeing a man on the side of the road, we made up bags to have in the car. Nabs, water, little packages of stuff to put in the water for flavor, lunch coupons, etc. Then didn't see a single person on the roadside for 3 months. Ended up giving the stuff to a shelter. God does have a sense of humor.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 07:13AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Elgin, IL

Today's devotional sounds to me as if it could have been written by Elias! -- give without expecting in return!
It seems to be that this is at the center of Christ's teaching about living our lives for Him. Give/serve/love with our focus on those who receive what we have to offer -- not on US. Our faithful actions are not going to wipe out hunger or homelessness. But it can twist our concerns from self to a more blessed walk with Him.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:06AM CDT
Comment by Lily of Palmyra, NJ

G'morning everyone! Happy Monday/Labor Day. Thank you James for today's devotional. My son was homeless one summer several years ago, I was deeply saddened by his condition the day I found him on the streets of Fairview/ Camden. I knew the town well, we lived there for 18 years when it was a nice neighborhood. Under all that filth was the son I loved. Throughout all his years of addiction, the biggest lesson God taught me was
to separate my son's behavior from the son that I loved dearly. This has given me a new level of compassion for others in this situation. I urge everyone to look beyond the dirt and remember that's someone's child, God's child ♡

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:08AM CDT

Good morning my friends. James, we welcome you to the UR family and thank you for your very thought-provoking devotional contribution. The way that I see things, if someone asks me for my help in getting something to eat, I simply do not have the time to waste on judging whether they really need the help or not. I simply give them what I can and let God judge whether their request was legitimate or not. We are told not to judge others by their outer appearance and that God judges us by what is in our heart. I know that there are those in this world who use the downtrodden to collect large sums of money for themselves and I feel sorry for such persons and those that they use. We 6 kids were told by our parents that we are here for a reason, to serve the Lord through our service to our fellow human beings. We are not here to amass a great financial fortune for ourselves while others lack the basic necessitiesof life. We were also taught that just because a person is poor, it does not mean that they are lazy. Let us all do our best to help those who are in need and not forget to thank the Lord for what He has done for us. Sarah, thank you for your contribution to this page and for your contributions to others. May you be blessed today and in the future. I will close now as we have a thunderstrorm approaching and I may lose my internet connection. Praise the Lord!!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:18AM CDT
Comment by Berta of Paducah, KY

James, May God bless you, and all others, who reach out to those in need of food, water and shelter. Each one is indeed a child of God. BTW-are you or your family from Illinois? In Christ, Berta

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:32AM CDT

Father God thank You for the rain this morning. Help us find ways to help those in need. Yes living in a rural community limits the opportunities but there is also great need here. Open the floodgates of giving. Be with Ty this day as he has surgery on his hand. Be with Thomas ... help him learn that You are the greatest natural high. Be with Ron and Cherie ... give them the hope they need for the days ahead and bring a healing to their lives. Thank You Lord for blessing my life. Help me be a better servant. IJN. Amen.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:52AM CDT
Comment by Jayne of Maury City, TN

James thanks for sharing this loving, caring devotional. When we give to someone, weather it be food, money, pay a bill, we should be giving from the heart, and never expect anything in return.
Lifting in prayer each name and situation listed and those on our hearts. Praying for a safe and a blessed day for everyone!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 08:56AM CDT

James, thanks for your devotional. Yes, we certainly tend to judge folks by appearance. But praise the Lord - he looks upon our hearts. We all can't look like superheros but we can treat others as super people. That is what the Lord wants to see us do. Sounds like the golden rule without a doubt.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:00AM CDT

James, thank you for today's devotional... the quandary of how to handle the homeless has been an increasing problem in America for quite a while now... with drug/alcohol use being a factor sometimes, and with others it's just simply hard circumstances that put them in that position, it is not our place to judge or guess, but to just provide what we can... I, like others who have mentioned here, have chosen to provide food and water to those who seem to be in need rather than cash. Sometimes I have been given the privilege of providing a hot shower, a zip loc bag with toothbrush, tooth paste, wash cloth, bar of soap, and other small, easy to carry items. Sometimes I may give cash, but seldom. Again, prayerful guidance from Papa is always needed in those moments. As Dan, I think who said it, it is our job to give and then it is between them and God what they do with it.
Ronnie of Cortland , NY, what a fun word picture you provided this morning, of you on the elliptical, trying to type with a plastic bag and hair die on your head.... you're a blessing! Thank you for the smile. :-)
cherie of inverness, FL, what God has been helping me understand this past few months, as I approach my retirement and the decrease to monthly income.... is that satan loves to push the fear/panic button.... but that Jesus came to overcome fear/panic...and His Word instructs us in John 14 to "LET NOT your heart be troubled, neither LET it be afraid." We can control whether the fear stays and resides or not... it is up to us to tell satan to go away in Jesus' name and quote scripture that reminds us that "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not LET your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 NIV (captions added) I wake up some mornings with my heart palpitating in 'fear' at the prospect of loosing everything because of such a monetary decrease to income...but I have just been quoting scripture over and over.... there are LOTS of scripture about do not fear...and scripture promising that God will always provide our needs, find the ones that have personal meaning to you and memorize them and quote them every time satan pushes that fear button... "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." Jas 4:7 NIV
We are a blessed people who know and have relationship with The God Who is our Strength and our Guide.
We are a blessed people to know that The Triune God will provide our needs, and use us to help other's needs be met.
We are a blessed people to know that in Him we can put our hope and our trust.
Cyber hugs to all who enter this wonderful cyber chapel. We are blessed to be loved so well.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:30AM CDT
Comment by CD of Colfax, WI

I am so grateful for this cyber chapel and all of the people who are
part of it! I find such peace and forget myself as I read and pray. I
am in prayer for all here and for all requests spoken or not. Thank
you for all of your prayers for me.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:30AM CDT
Comment by Mary

Good morning James. You did what my pastor tells us to do. To buy food, or take a poor person to a Tim Horton's (Coffee shops everywhere in Canada:-). In other words really connect just like Jesus said.
Blessings on your day. Mary haskett http://www.maryhaskett.com

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:34AM CDT

Marsha of Brownwood, TX, the acronym JOY comes to mind as I read your post... Jesus 1st, Others 2nd, Yourself 3rd. In that order brings JOY... our humanness has us focus on ourselves so much, but that gets thing out of order, jumbling up the word into meaninglessness...

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:35AM CDT

Bob of Elgin, IL, I thought the same thing, even scrolled down to see if it was Elias that wrote it! LOL

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:37AM CDT
Comment by Curt

Thank you James for your devotional. Our church in the west end of Richmond VA has expanded its food pantry to those in need. We recently had 43 families in one week partake. We are teaming up with another church to collect and supply food. May all of those that have a surplus find the apropos channel to give to the needy. Each person in need is someone's father, mother, sister or brother. All are God's children.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:39AM CDT

Good Morning Ur family and James thank you for today's devotional. A few years ago I do admit I would not even consider giving to the homeless until my own son was in that situation .He was too ashamed to come home due to drug addiction and would stand in front of stores asking for money. I found all this out after he had been going to meetings for 6 months and PTL he is still clean. It has been over 2 years now. Ever since he shared with me his own experiences my heart goes out to the homeless. PTL that the Lord answered my prayers and looked out for my son when he was in the streets. Now I give when I can to the homeless who stand out on the intersections. I try to get in the correct lane in order to give because it is dangerous for them to cross traffic. There are laws in place in Boca Raton and Plam Beach against panhandling. It is sad since anyone could be homeless.

Willis Praying for your step son that his his surgery this morning went well and that he will be as good as new soon.
Cheri-Keeping Ron in my prayers and that the Lor dheal him completely form all his health issues.
Praising the Lord that I am much better today form my sore throat and thanking you all for the prayers.
Praying for all that are homeless that they will be helped and that more people will be willing to give.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not.
Have a great day Ur family.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:53AM CDT
Comment by Terry of Dublin, OH

Thanks James, your message it hit me like a ton of bricks. I often give to those in need including various charities but for years have viewed those begging alongside the road as having “other” options or judging them on what they may be doing with the money collected. Well, thanks to your message and the many other writers on this board, the “light” has come on that it is not for me to judge or assume other items as a reason not to support ALL in need. Thanks for the “shock” therapy and ideas on how to better serve those in need without cause or judgment. I know God accepts me without cause and he has many reasons to drive past me or lock his car door when I am begging for his support at times. So, I will make a better effort to give without judgment or cause in the future.
I pray for all homeless people and those who struggle with surviving on this earth, for added strength and support as needed. Hoping they can forgive those who drive past, as I have in the past or locked their doors as they walked by their cars.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 09:57AM CDT
Comment by cherie of inverness, FL

Sheila, thank you so very much for your prayers and suggestions. I have been saying, "Get thee behind me satan!" I know the Lord will overcome my fears and I just returned from the ICU and Ron is being moved to the regular floor. Hallelujah!!!!! He should be in the hospital for 7 to 10 days for the antibiotics to run their course. Hopefully, this time it will all be gone. Praise Jesus I feel the fear lifting out of my body and a feeling of calm all over. Thank you prayer warriors I will not fear. I will trust in Jesus.

I know wherever this life takes me I have a family to be by my side. Love and Light

Posted September 01, 2014 at 10:00AM CDT
Comment by Dawn of Rogers, AR

JAMES, thank you for your devotion reminding us to help others, not judge others. Loved reading everyone's comments and ideas on how to help the homeless. But for the grace of God, we could all be there.
CHERI, praise God that your husband is better. May God continue to heal him from his infection and give him strength and healing to go home.

Prayers for healing, of different needs, for Thomas and Ty.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 10:33AM CDT
Comment by Georgia of Woodstock, GA

Thank you, James, for your devotional today and all of you here who added your personal experiences. God has been nudging me to keep a cooler in my car with water to give out when I can. That will be accomplished today along with a stash of a few other items that might refresh and lift the spirits of someone in need. I will also ask their name if I can so I can pray for them. This place is such an ongoing blessing.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 10:34AM CDT
Comment by Mike of Seattle, WA

Thankyou James for your devotional. It is always a dilemma and knowing what is the right thing to do is not always clear. A pastor said once," I would rather help 50 persons and get one that really needed the help than not help anyone."
Everyone is going to get burned once in a while, but along the way we can help someone who really needs it.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 10:40AM CDT
Comment by PB of San Augustine, TX

Thank you James. I needed to be reminded of that! Just one of the benifits of fellowship in the Upper Room.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 11:10AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

James C. Seymour, Jr.: Thank you for your devotional today. I agree with your concept of GIVING, and it is great when we can give, but there are times when we cannot physically, or WANT to, give to everyone in need. It is best when we do give because we WANT to and not because we see it as an obligation.(2 Corinthians 9:7)
In other words, what I am trying to say is LOVE should be the motivation, not trying to live up to, or trying to fulfill, a Faith 'expectation'. Giving to those around us out of gratitude to God is one thing, but Giving to those around us simply because we believe in LOVE is much better! There is greater maturity in giving out of Love than in giving out of gratitude or a faith expectation.
When we give out of Love there is more of a genuine desire in our hearts to help someone than to give to them because we believe that God expects it from us. I believe that God wants us to 'take on' His Persona of LOVE so that WE can BE like Him in our GIVING.
***
Sheila of Bryantsville & Bob of Elgin: Thanks for comparing! What I espouse about Love is sometimes confused with 'paying it forward' or other ways of Giving, and so I always try to explain the difference.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 11:32AM CDT
Comment by Nell

A wonderful devotional today and all of the comments giving actual experiences of helping those in need. I used to keep something in my car to have readily available if I were asked for something. For me, having a drink and snack was better than giving them money. I don't drive out of town to areas where this occurs more like I used to do. So many great examples today - I want to do better!! I read another devotional on line today where a lady felt the calling to go over to a group of people in a Wal-Mart parking lot. There was a man who apparently had been drinking too much, in dirty worn clothes, face all scratched up, lying on ground with people gathered around. She felt the calling to kneel down and pray for him while they were waiting on ambulance. She said several other joined in. Praise the Lord - this lady was running errands, hesitant , but she responded to God's calling. We can give in many different ways. Have a blessed Labor Day!!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 11:52AM CDT
Comment by Jonnie

Praise God for the ministry today of this devotional and each of the comments! What a spiritual uplift it has been. Thank you.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:15PM CDT

Curt, out of curiosity, your church wouldn't happen to be or partnered with Midlothian's Mt. Zion, UMC, would it?

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:16PM CDT
Comment by Lorna C. of Evergreen Park, IL

I love your story. It is amazing how many Christians obey stereotypical ideas about the poor who are forced to beg, that lazy or that they will just use the money to buy drugs. These types of beliefs keep us from helping those in need. When we look at the parables of Jesus, particularly the story of the rich man a Lazarus, from God's perspective the most crucial thing the rich man did was walk past Lazarus. The

or beggar meant nothing to thr rich an but that relationship determined his eternal destination.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:18PM CDT

cherie of inverness, FL, Hallelujah, indeed! God is GOOD, all the time!

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:21PM CDT

Mike of Seattle, WA, I like what that pastor said... I think I'll use that quote from now on, when anyone tells me I should be careful how and to whom I give help... thanks.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:24PM CDT

Elias, no need to explain, we get it.... it truly is about LOVE, not just the worldly way of thinking "pay it forward", which in and of it's self has nothing to do with the spiritual condition.

Posted September 01, 2014 at 12:28PM CDT