Sign-up Today!

From Generation to Generation

Wednesday, August 20th, 2014

Read Isaiah 43:18-21

View the July-August, 2014 Issue

The psalmist wrote, “I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.”

- Psalm 89:1 (NIV)

Generation after generation, we carry forth both favorable and unfavorable family traits. As we mature, we tell younger generations about the mistakes we have made in our lives and try to model the behavior we hope they will follow.

Recently, the fourth generation arrived in our family in the form of a healthy baby girl. Representing the oldest living generation, I reflected upon the current mental and spiritual health of our family. While many of our family members have suffered from worry and depression, they have exhibited their faith and strength in successfully overcoming these afflictions as they sought God’s help through professional counseling. Faith in God has been a family trait for generations and is now being introduced to the next.

Watching a family member repeat the mistakes of the past is difficult. But we live in the faith and the hope that those before us taught — those whose example is slowly working to produce healthier spiritual lives. By being faithful to God, telling our stories, and modeling a healthy behavior, we are slowly recognizing God’s “new thing” in our family.

Cynthia Piazza (New York, USA)

What am I teaching about God to the next generation?

Prayer focusFamily counselors

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Cynthia, for your devotional this morning. I am the first and only one in my family to become a Christian in at least three generations, and I am so thankful to God that both my children accepted the Lord as their Savior when they were young children. Unfortunately, like your family, both worry and depression are in my family also. I worry a lot, and suffer from depression. My son, Albert does too. Praise the Lord, though, Lucy does not. She is the sunbeam in our family! As a child of God, I tell myself that I need to take after the family traits from Him, with God as my Father and Jesus as my big Brother, and make sure I am passing down His traits to my family.
KATHY of Reading - I’m praying for you today, that the Lord will bless your life. I pray that He will provide for all of your needs according to His riches in glory. I pray that He will meet your financial needs, provide you with a better-paying job or a raise where you are at, so you have enough to pay your bills, rent and food, plus some left over. I am continuing to keep your son, Corey in prayer, that the Lord will be working in his life. * MONTE - Thank you for the science lesson yesterday! I found it very interesting, even though my brain and anything with math in it don’t mix! I keep you and your wife, Carolyn, in my prayers every day.
DON - I am praising the Lord with you that your fundraiser last weekend for the senior center went well, and I am praying for the upcoming one this weekend for the Booster club. I pray that you have a nice weekend for the bull riding event. I’d love to see something like that. I pray everyone stays safe and that it is a success for the organization. * STEVE of Knoxville, TN - I am praying for your friend, Alan, who lost his wife Monday evening after a series of strokes. I pray that the Lord will pour upon him and his family His love and comfort during this time of mourning. I pray He holds them close and gives them His peace.
CHERIE of Inverness, FL - I am praying for you and Ron, that the Lord will give you an extra measure of His guidance and wisdom. I pray for your trip to Alabama next week, that the Lord will watch over you and give you safety. I pray that your motor home stays in good condition, and that the motor works well and is reliable. I pray that you will be able to find a good surgeon while there, one who will be able to help with the parathyroid, and who Ron will feel completely comfortable with. I pray that the Lord will provide for all of your financial needs and give you peace. * JACKIE of San Antonio - I am holding your niece, Janelle, in prayer as she has a early morning paper route. I pray that the Lord will keep her safe each morning as she goes out, and I pray that He will give her strength and energy, and the early morning hours won’t affect her school work.
JUDY of Yalaha, FL - I am praying for your son, as he has completed his first couple of days of teaching. I pray that the Lord will uphold and bless him and the students, that they will have a very good and productive school year. I pray that for all our teachers represented here in our UR family. * SANDRA of Summerville, SC - I am praying for you, that the Lord will abundantly bless you each day, and that He will meet all of your needs according to His riches in glory.
MICHAEL of Lindendale, TX - I am praying for you, that the Lord will continue His healing of your shoulder, and that you can get a good night’s sleep. I pray for your son who is having eye surgery today. I pray that the Lord will guide the surgeon, and that the surgery is a success. I pray for a quick healing and complete recovery. * CHRIS of Myerstown, PA - Thank you for putting in the childhood song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star yesterday, to go along with the devotional. I had never knew the whole song before, only the first verse. It really is a beautiful song!
LEAH - I am praying for the family of the young woman, India, who lost her life in a car accident on Saturday. I pray that the Lord will bring them His comfort and love during this tragic time. I pray that they will turn to Him at this time, and that He will somehow bring some good out of this terrible tragedy. * MARGARET of Randallstown, MD - I am praying for your whole family, as there is alot of sickness going around throughout your family members. I pray that the Lord will bring them all healing, especially for Samora, Monique, Nesee, Peabey, and Ma Butler. I pray that the Lord will be working in Peabey’s life, working out all situations for her good and His glory. I pray for your daughter and the situation she is going through with the judiciary system. I pray that the Lord will work all that out, and that she will be able to go back to college for this fall semester.
ALLY of Decatur, AL - I am praying for your mother, Martha, who is having significant GI issues. I pray that the CT scan she has will show what the problem is, and that her doctors will know what treatment to prescribe for her. I pray that the Lord will bring her healing and a quick recovery. I pray, also, for your cat, Tony Tiger, who has a protozoal infection. I pray that your vet will be able to effectively treat this, and he get better. I am in fervent prayer for your ex’s daughter, who is living with you, and has become friends with many other young people who are drug addicts, and who come to the house for drug deals. I pray that the Lord will give you wisdom to know what to do about whether she should continue to stay with you or not, considering the type of people coming to your house now. I pray that the Lord will bring some good Christian people into her life, and that she can get herself free from the drug dealing associations.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 12:17AM CDT

Good morning UR family. Sarah thank you for your faithful prayers. Travel mercies for myself today as I venture to visit my younger sister on the east coast of FL. Pray our visit together will be both enjoyable and meaningful. I am the first of the siblings to see her "new" place.
* Cynthia thank you for sharing the message today: a reminder that what we do is reflected in the generations to come. "Great is thy faithfulness" comes to mind. May I lead by example.
*Blessings to all this mid-week day.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 04:31AM CDT

Cynthia, thank you for sharing this devotion, and for your family legacy. I look at people whose children or grandchildren 'go astray', and appreciate the sadness they must feel. In the end, God always has a plan; for everyone, wherever we are, in whatever condition they are. This said; if we pray daily for the members of our family by name, believing in the power of prayer, and if our Christian example is real, inside and outside the church (the only thing we can truly control), the members of our family will be much less likely to lose their way. However, our daily prayers continuing, if they do, they are much less likely to remain on the wrong path.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 04:42AM CDT

My computer seems to be on the way back; I still need to get some functions fully back, and nothing important seems to have been lost. I appreciate your prayers as I have been going through some very rough times. Through this, I have tried to stay faithful in my attendance at midday worship, and to provide my friend Martin access to the service and to a good lunch a couple times a week. We can't always do everything we want or even should, but it is critical to do what we can, and to stay true to the witness which drives us.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 04:52AM CDT

Good morning my friends. Cynthia, welcome to the UR family and thank you for your devotional contribution. The Lord has proven to be trustworthy to all generations. If we trust in Him, He will guide and protect us and lead us into everlasting peace with Him. Let us spread the word to all others that Jesus Christ is Lord. Have a great day. Praise the Lord!!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 04:56AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Reading, PA

Good Morning UR family, thank you for your devotional this morning. Growing up, my brothers and I went to Sunday School at a Presbyterian Church. In Junior high, we started going to Catholic mass with my parents. My spiritual upbringing was good but I really hadn't found my way. It wasn't until high school when my friend talked to me about being "saved". I listened to her and we prayed! Sarah, thank you for your faithful prayers to our site. You are truly blessing. Please know, I am keeping all in prayer today for spoken and unspoken needs. I have an appointment tonight. Please keep me in prayer for good and helpful results. Have a blessed day to all.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 04:59AM CDT

Good morning all a great day for us to go outside and enjoy it. Praise the Lord!!! Cynthia, thanks for the scripture and your devotional. I too am thinking about how I will affect the future of little Zeke. It is good most of my offspring are chuched individual, and I hope I had some influence on that, but I know it really is Jesus who saved and brought them to His Kingdom. May we all pray that we will be a positive effect on all those who come after us. Praying the Lord will touch and heal all of us in need (there are so many) today. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:24AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Nothing like waking up up in the middle of the night and watching the power go out.'And no I wasn't singing the theme song to that PBS Children's show, The Electric Company. I digress Back to my comment.. Thank you Cynthia for your devotional. I never thought about praying for family members by name. There are so many on both sides, I just ask God" and not assume' he was having a bad day cause " his newspapers subscription and cable got canceled. I digress. Chris of Myerstown for a minute you reminded me of a version of that song I heard in grade school. It went like" Twinkle , Twinkle, Little star.. Eyebrow pencil in cold cream jar.. lol.. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day...

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:33AM CDT
Comment by Francis of Hideaway, TX

When I am gone from here, my children and grandchildren will recall the many times I told them "I love you". At least that part of my legacy will not be tarnished.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:46AM CDT
Comment by Dawn

Thank you for your message today. Family is important. Prayers going out for you and your families. I would ask that you keep my son in your prayers that he find his way, along with God's peace, love, and strength. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:48AM CDT

Good morning all. Flying home today. It has been a wonderful trio, but I, m ready to get back to normality. Sarah, how has Lucy, s week gone? Prayers continue far all.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:50AM CDT

Good Morning UR family and Cynthia thank you for the devotional. Praise the Lord that as I reflect upon this devotional that I know that my family members are Christians. Praying that my light will shine through for others to see. Dan- I love this comment "We can't always do everything we want or even should, but it is critical to do what we can, and to stay true to the witness which drives us." There are times I question if I am doing enough? I beat myself up when I miss an opportunity to witness.,This comment really helps put that into perspective.
Kathy - Praying that your appointment goes well this evening.
Praying for all those on the list spoken or not.
Have a great day UR family:)

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:51AM CDT
Comment by Stuart of Gulfport, MS

BLESSINGS for all of you as you start your day and also through the day

Posted August 20, 2014 at 05:56AM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Good morning UR family. Cynthia your devotional is very powerful. Their are numerous members in my family who need to seek counseling. I went to counseling about 20 yrs ago. A wonderful Christian counseling helped me to leave the demons of my childhood & past 20 something yrs behind me. It was the best money I've ever spent on myself. So many people think they can fix their lives by themselves but it's not true. You have to be willing to make changes in your life in order to move forward.

Blessing folks. Gotta run. I have teacher inservice today. Prayers for all teachers as they start back to school.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:17AM CDT

Father God thank You for my grandparents who shared their faith with me. Thank You for my grandchildren with whom I can share mine. May I be a beacon to them as well as the children of my school so that Your grace can become real to them. Thank You Lord for Your love. Bring peace to our fractured world, particularly Ferguson MO.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:32AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

The Lord has blessed us with a new day!
Thank you Cynthia for your devotional today! I praise The Lord that despite my inadequacies, my children and grandchildren know and a have a relationship with The Lord!
I am thinking of the song "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!"
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for you.
Have a blessed day!
Let your light shine!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:37AM CDT
Comment by cherie of inverness, FL

Thank you for this reminder of our witness on other generations. All of my family are gone and I pray they turned their lives over to Jesus before they passed. I have everyone who comes to the chapel in my prayers. Love and Light.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Cynthia - thank you for your devotional, and your devotion! He really does know best - and His ways are the best!
Blessings!!!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:47AM CDT
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

Thank you, Cynthia. What a wonderful reminder to always be teaching the younger generation about God (using words if necessary). The Isaiah text in some ways is perplexing. It tells us to forget the past and await God’s new thing. Those of us that are older have such long pasts. And yet I can make some sense of it. Our pasts have molded us and are not matters to rehash and moan and groan about. It is that very molding that has prepared us to more fully encounter and appreciate God’s new thing—and then be messengers of that new thing to the upcoming generations.
Prayers for all today. I must say that the weight of many things leaves me a little depressed. Prayers that I, and others with such feelings, may encounter the fullness of God’s presence and grace with joy and praise.
I have a praise from yesterday. Two days ago Carolyn and I went to the doctor for our annual “wellness” check that our insurance offers. Yesterday morning my doctor called and said things were fine, but my cholesterol needed some work and I am now going on my first regular medication in my life. That is not the praise. The praise is that I have a doctor that personally called me to discuss the matter.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 06:56AM CDT
Comment by Terry of Dublin, OH

Thanks Cynthia for your message and reminder on how we got to where we are today. First, I want to thank all those who have brought God into my life from my mother, Grandmother and other family members who done their job in both introducing me and encouraging me to keep God a priority. Cynthia, I feel your message is right on target for the needs of this day, where there are so many things in this world that compete for our time and attention. We forget our basic purpose in life; to promote and spread God’s presence to all we meet and encounter, especially our family members. We can do this by our example but also by encouraging them along the same lines we were taught by past generations. I feel this has been one of my life’s biggest disappointments as I have been so blessed but really not put the necessary effort into seeing my family members truly experience the joy and happiness of a God center life. Well no time like the present to correct our mistakes. I have tried to pass on, though we may face challenges in this life, God has provided us with all the tools and support to handle all this world throws at us and as one door closes another opens. But that is not enough, we must always keep God at the center of our lives to fully experience his presence.
I ask for prayers for myself and others who may also struggle with how to best pass on the joys we have known and experienced through a God centered life. I also pray for all those who are in need as expressed on this page and unspoken as well. As always, special prayers for all the prayer givers, for added strength in their lives and challenges

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:04AM CDT
Comment by Harlan of Cullman, AL

Hello UR family , praise report , Ive know bout all year that my crohns disease had caused a blockage in my small intestine , I had one in 1986 removed . They are very painful ! Well last Wednsday I did the x-ray , the one you drink the barium stuff . From the way it went , I was still sure I had some blockage , but after I didnt have the pain , when food would pass thru ! I saw my doctor yesterday , and he said all was normal ! Im claiming a healing from GOD , and wanted to share it with yall . Idont post often but IM here everday . Love&Prayers .

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:27AM CDT
Comment by Sandra of Summerville, SC

Thanks Cynthia for your devotional. What a blessing and it fits into my family, generation to generation worshipping and praising God. Today is my brother's birthday and I thank God for allowing him to see another birthday. He is my brother as well as my best friend. I thank God for him! Sarah again thanks for all your prayers. I was able to deal wth my challenge on yesterday with a smile and thanksgiving. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers Everyone please pray for my church family as we have lost another faithful member. Pray for her kids to be able to endure the lost.
Have a blessed day everyone!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:34AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Atlanta, GA

Several videos speak to this message:

Have a blessed day everyone!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:42AM CDT

Cynthia, thank you for sharing your family struggle with depression and keeping the faith. It seems depression is such a prevalent thing in families anymore. I have dealt with depression most of my life and in fact was told a few years ago I have PTSD which depression is a part of. I thank God for good Christ believing counselors over the years who helped me through the healing process of the childhood traumas, and for medications that have helped along the way.
Sadly we do tend to pass on some of the bad traits to the next generation...but it's like I told my daughter, Tammy, healing from trauma of any kind is a hard process, and we may make some poor choices along life's way, but as we seek 'wise counsel' through The Holy Spirit, counselors, pastors and close family and friends, we heal and grow spiritually and emotionally, we come to a place of knowing better, and when we know better, we do better. To God be the Glory.
My daughter, Elizabeth, in the Richmond, VA area called last night asking for prayer for her friend Andrea, who was diagnosed Monday with breast cancer. Elizabeth has been through it herself, so she knows what is coming for Andrea, she understands the process. I'm asking my UR family to lift Andrea and her family in prayer, and Elizabeth, that God will use her to help Andrea through this process, and Mark, her husband to help Andy, Andrea's husband, and for my granddaughters, Kirby and Sarah, to be able to help Andrea and Andy's 'kids' through this. Andrea & Andy have 2 of their own, who are teens, but they are also raising a niece and nephew as their own because of drug related issues in that family... their dad was killed in a drug related shooting some time ago. Anyway, the family needs prayer. Andy has finished Seminary and is going through the final stages before becoming an Ordained Minister.
We are a blessed people who knows The Power to overcome depression, not just deal with it.
We are a blessed people who has relationship with The Healer.
We are a blessed people who, through Christ's sacrifice on The Altar of The Cross, have access to The Counselor, The Holy Spirit, and access to counselors 'with flesh' to help us through the rough travels on life's road.
Cyber hugs to all who enter this cyber chapel.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:43AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Cynthia, thank you for your thoughts today! I am a person who values tradition, experience, and learning from the past. In today's world, I feel that some people are not as open to valuing others' experience...many seem to feel that "because I am, I know, or I deserve." It is frustrating! I have also learned from my new position that getting stuck in the past is also dangerous. Change is a challenge for me sometimes, too, but I have seen how minds set against bringing in any new ideas can be detrimental. We need to listen to our Lord and follow Him...and strike a balance between the two extremes.

God bless!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:49AM CDT
Comment by Diana H of Dunwoody, GA

Good Morning UR Family! It's a beautiful day that God has made. Enjoy it to the fullest! Harlan, I join you in your praise. God is the mighty healer! I try to be a good example for all the people I am around, but it is the hardest with my family. I do pray for each one by name, at least the ones I remember. Today is my brother, Gray's birthday as well. I ask for travel mercies as he travels to see our parents tomorrow. Today my father goes to see the eye surgeon. Hopes for great reports! Heavenly Father, hold all your children in your hands and sent us all the healing we need. Be with all our UR friends and help on our paths as we praise you and share our joy from you with others. In Jesus's most holy and precious name, Amen.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 07:59AM CDT

Good morning all on this beautiful day that God hath made, let us rejoice and be glad. Cynthia, I enjoyed your message this morning and as I was reading I reflected on all the dear people who were role models for me and bringing me into the glory of God. My prayer is that I can help someone on their journey with a life with our Heavenly Father. My continued prayers for each one today, that the Love of God will guide you throughout the day. "ASK"

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:08AM CDT
Comment by augustine of columbia, SC

Thank you Cynthia for the devotional message.
Thank God for new mercies everyday.
Bless those who suffer with mental depression / mental illness, and may God keep [HIS] loving arms wrapped around them.
Wishing everyone a blessed day!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:09AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Cynthia, good morning to you and UR family. From individuals in Countries to individual family members, the generations each need to be learned from first hand experience. I use war as an example, all we have learned is to kill more efficiently. There were poor in Jesus' time and they are still here today.
 Jesus left us pattern to follow, that will lead us to the abundant life, He promised, but even among those that call themselves Christians, are missing the mark. There is hope, for when things get tough, that is when people begin to turn back to the Lord. Many people are praying for a revival, it may come but not without desperate times.
 The best thing you can leave the present and future generations is love. Love not only those who love you, but all people. Learn to forgive and let go of the need to be first or right. Think about this, if you have accepted Jesus Christ, your life of eternity has begun already. You have more life ahead of you than behind, whether your twenty something or ninety plus. While we're still young, why not get yourself in the habit of forgiving?
 Today's scripture from Isaiah, says to me, let by gones be gone, look to me (God), I will, I can, and I AM making all things new, that my people may praise Me.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:34AM CDT

Cynthia, thank you for a most insightful devotional. Jesus will accept the worst sinner who has no believers ever in their family. But there is a comfort for sure of knowing generations behind and behead of you have and are following the Lord Jesus. A week ago my wife and I saw a great-grandson accept Christ - what a THRILL - Praise God, thank you Jesus.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:50AM CDT
Comment by Steve of Knoxville, TN

Good morning everyone! Thank you Cynthia for your wonderful devotional this morning concerning family. My family is so important to me. Speaking of family and new additions, my oldest son and daughter in law are pregnant. This will be our first grand child!! I'm really excited to have a new fishing buddy on the way.

Thank you all for your prayers for my friend, Alan concerning his wife's passing. We spoke last night and he seems to be doing as well as can be expected. Her funeral is on Friday.

Prayers for all prayer requests and praise reports. Harlan of Cullman, AL, praise be to God that you blockage was gone! Monte, congratulations on the good physical report. It sounds just like my last one. Even after losing over 40 pounds, my "bad" cholesterol is still too high. Hopefully the medication will work for both of us.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:51AM CDT

Sarah, your life is a beautiful picture of God's work. No ancestors behind were followers, but now you are and have led your children to the Lord. Praying for you and family, may God's peace and healing be on you and yours.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 08:56AM CDT

Steve and Monte: cholesterol medicine in a blessing. It's keeping where it should be and I come from a family where heart attacks and strokes have been common due to high cholesterol. Thank God for it. Had one doctor tell me we should add it to our water sources just like we add the stuff that prevents cavities. Only problem he alluded to was possible side effects for a small amount of people.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 09:08AM CDT
Comment by Yulia

MERRY, thank you for all your comments to me on Sunday!!! But your care and the big hug from little Charlie, probably, were the best -- i could feel it! I am telling you: i am not a star person! But i love oceans, seas -- water. And i love dogs. Cats can't stand me. But they love Jesse. It's mutual :) My hugs to you!
BOB of Elgin, IL, thank you for your great illustration of a marriage and reference to Ps. 23 in your response to my question about "abundant" life as Jesus meant it. That was very helpful! But i still think about it.
CHRIS, thank you for all your comments! Cackle, rambunctious, hootnanny -- goodness, Live and Learn and Laugh, Yulia! But the star poem, that made me cry. I don't like nights. I don't like darkness. But i will remember that little star when i have to see a night sky again :)
ELIAS, thank you for your comment to me about your 52 years of knowing God. That was down to earth, and i liked that! And the comment yesterday was kinda hard to swallow, but i know you are absolutely right!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 09:13AM CDT

"Dear Lord, we thank you that you are trustworthy throughout all generations. Amen."...
Cynthia...good morning in New York! Welcome to the UR chapel. thank you for your encouraging devotional, "Generation to Generation."

Posted August 20, 2014 at 09:56AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Cynthia Piazza: Thank you for your devotional today. I am really disappointed that you did not use the word LOVE in your message. Love is the one thing that eliminates destructive behavior in our lives! Remember that God IS Love, and that He has defined it as Giving Of Ourselves To Those Around Us Without Requiring In Return, just as He did with Jesus on the cross.
Paul, in 1 Corinthians 13, reveals to us that without Love Nothing is worthwhile! Jesus told us that to FULLFILL all of God's laws, we are to Love God first, and then our neighbor as our self. Love is the one way with which we can stop repeating the mistakes in our lives, and helping new generations to do the same.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 10:12AM CDT
Comment by Henry of Alexandria, VA

Thanks to Cynthia and others for the devotional, scripture and comments emphasizing the importance of passing on to others, especially our family members, the Good News by words and deeds. I have been personally blessed with many terrific examples, role models and mentors among my family members (especially on my wife's side) and am thankful that Janie and I have been able to try to do all that we can to pass things along to our family both the younger and older members. Not perfect for sure, but compared to so many other troubled situations we have seen or known, we feel blessed in so many ways with our families. Joining all in prayers for Cynthia, JK and family, Dan, Kathy Corey (and AGAIN, your spiritual upbringing was SO similar to mine!), Edd and Zeke, Francis and family, Dawn and son, Judy and family, Jackie and all teachers and all involved in education, Kim and family, Monte (thanks for the terrific comments, Monte, and I too share your feelings and concern about so many weighty things going on in my life and in the world, and PTL for your and all good doctors and for your and Carolyn's results!), Terry (also thanks to you for the terrific comments!), Harlan (PTL!), Sandra brother and family, Sheila Elizabeth and Andrea, Diane Gray and family, Chris (just terrific comments dear friend), Joe and family, Steve Alan and family, me and others still seeking employment of better employment (Lord order our steps with your anointing and energize inspire and embolden us to walk those steps!), those serving God and country, those with health relationship and grieving issues, those in life's storms of all types Missouri Ukraine Israel Palestine Iraq fires floods storms and more, and for all other spoken and unspoken praises and requests. God is able and is indeed love. Grace, peace and blessings.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:39AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Hello, everyone. Happy Wednesday! I am looking forward to attending prayer meeting at my church tonight. This is always a blessed event for me, and generational too. So your devotional was very timely Cynthia. Thanks for sharing.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:49AM CDT
Comment by Bob of Elgin, IL

Elias: I believe your basic premise about Jesus' teaching is accurate. (God is love and we show Him by loving others.) But I also believe that Love is an ACTION. We don't need to say the word 'love' in order to DO it. In fact, the reverse may be more true. Saying 'I love you' often doesn't get the job done. My mother taught me how to love but I don''t remember her using the word very often. Blessings to all.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:53AM CDT

Harlan of Cullman, AL, PRAISE GOD AND HALLELUJAH!

Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:55AM CDT

Raynard, I don't think I've ever heard THAT version of Twinkle, Twinkle...

Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:57AM CDT
Comment by Jim of Bloomfield, KY

Are all believers "children of God" with Jesus, the Christ, our brother?

A wonderful devotional from Cynthia today. We are really family with each other. I get very blessed by the inspirations expressed each day thru this chapel. I give thanks for you and pray blessings for you - you who have Jesus, the Son of God as your Lord and Savior.

DONNA of SAN MARCOS ... missed you today. Special prayers for you.

KIM of LOCUST GROVE ... love my grandparents, as you do, and my parents ... thank you Jesus for their guidance.

DON of OZARK ... inspired by your energy and service (like ELIAS points out ... you copy our Jesus' actions). I join SARAH with a desire to see the Bull Riding fundraiser; and in praying for safety for all.

Special prayers for Andrea and Elizabeth (and families) of SHEILA of BRYANTSVILLE. Thank you SHEILA for the wonderful list of blessings.

MERRY of POTEAU Thank you for your sweet and simple prayers and revelations thru the days. Would love to join you atop Cavanal Hill and glorify our living Creator.

We are blessed by our grandparents, the great cloud of witnesses. Thank you Lord for them and for guidance and wisdom. Please draw near to you, all those who do not know you as Savior and Lord. Amen

Posted August 20, 2014 at 12:00PM CDT

Jackie of San Antonio, TX, AMEN to your comment about counseling being the best money I ever spent... it's all part of the "love your neighbor AS YOURSELF' part of what Christ taught... we can't truly love our neighbor until we learn how to love ourselves God's way, not the way the world teaches us to 'love ourselves', with the 'it's all about me, sorry about your luck' mentality.

Posted August 20, 2014 at 12:03PM CDT

monte of laughlintown, PA, speaking from experience, I want to suggest you look up and research alternative ways of controlling your cholesterol through diet and herbal remedies... pharmaceutical meds for cholesterol cause liver damage... I was on one for almost 6 years and it just about shot my liver... it took me a little over a year of being off it for my liver to heal completely... I drink a homemade concoction of grape juice, apple juice, local honey and apple cider vinegar with my lunch every day that I can come home for lunch, and with supper if I don't make it home for lunch. I'd be glad to give you the recipe. Cutting back on meats and eating more fruits and vegie's and of course exercise are part of controlling the cholesterol too. Prayers lifted for you...

Posted August 20, 2014 at 12:12PM CDT
Comment by Mary

Ah Cynthia, How blessed you are to have all of your family serving the Lord. Your devotional reminded me to keep praying and believing for mine. I am the first one saved in my family. Mary Haskett Canada
www.maryhaskett.com