Sign-up Today!

As Far As You Can See

Thursday, April 24th, 2014

Read Proverbs 3:21-26

View the March-April, 2014 Issue

[Jesus] said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

- John 8:12 (NIV)

Many years ago, my grandmother was riding in a canoe through the wilds of the northern Canadian woods. Her guide was an old native man who was paddling her to a remote resort. Dusk was falling, and she had noticed earlier that he had cataracts. A little anxious, she asked if he needed any help in seeing the shoreline. Smiling, the guide replied, “No, but thank you. I learned some time ago to go as far as I can see and when I get there, I can see that much farther.” I heard that story many years ago when I was a young man. However, it really didn’t resonate with me until recently. My wife is now struggling (and fighting bravely) against lung cancer. For the past five years, the disease has been present and active. Terrific medical people have helped — with chemotherapy and radiation — but the disease is still there. Her fight — and mine — is to let her treatments take us as far as we can see and then to go on with new vision and new resolve, coping with what the next day brings. Our comfort is that we are not alone! Jesus, the light of the world, is with us. * Tuck's wife passed away during the production of this issue.

E.H. (Tuck) Eudy (Florida, USA)

Sometimes God lets us see only as much as we need to see.

Dear Father, thank you for Jesus Christ, our light and our guide. Help us to follow closely in his steps so that we can find our way to joyful living. In his name we pray. Amen.

Prayer focusThose battling lung cancer

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, E.H. for your devotional this morning. I pray that the Lord will bring your wife complete healing from the lung cancer she has been suffering with, and that the chemo and radiation treatments are successful. Your message of going as far as we can see, and when we get there, we can see further to go on a bit further is helpful to me with my daily struggles. So often I worry about what will happen in the future and start to panic. I need to continually trust the Lord each day, and walk with Him one day at a time.
KATHY of Reading, PA - I am lifting you in prayer, that the Lord will give you peace, and that He will give you specific leading and guidance in the decisions you have to make. I pray that He will give you wisdom to know which way to turn. * RAYNARD - I am praying for your friend in North Carolina whose brother had a heart attack. I pray that the Lord will bring him healing and a complete recovery from the heart attack, that He will give the brother strength and restoration of his health.
DON - I am praying for Mary Black, a resident of the senior center in Ozark, who has been hospitalized when her blood pressure dropped to dangerous levels and was confused and lethargic. I pray that the doctors will know what has caused this, and that it can be easily treated. I pray the Lord brings Mary healing and that she can go home real soon. * MISSY - I am praying for you, that the Lord will give you of His wisdom to know to make the right choices and decisions. May He guide and direct your life, giving you guidance and leading.
JAYNE of Maury City, TN - I agree with you - I don’t usually have any trouble with forgiving people, but I don’t ever seem to be able to forget, either what I have done, or what others have done to me. So the saying “forgive and forget” only seems to work half-way with me. * DEBBIE of Mabscott, WV - I am praying that the Lord will touch you and bring you complete healing from the illness that has had you down since the weekend. I pray that you are feeling better soon so you can properly care for your father, and I pray that he will not catch what you had.
MAVIS - I am praying that you are recovering well from your dentist visit on Tuesday. I pray that all pain has gone and everything is okay. Continued prayers for Victor, and that the Lord will also give you leading and guidance in your life. * LEAH - I am praying for your friend, Olivia, and her family, as they are going through a difficult time right now. I pray that the Lord will uphold them through this situation. I pray that He will work everything out for their good, and that He will provide for their needs according to His riches in glory.
HENRY of Alexandria - I am holding you and your family in prayer, that the Lord will abundantly bless you all. I pray that He will provide you with a good and decent paying job soon. I hold up your daughter, Amanda, and her daughter, Ashley in prayer. I pray that the Lord will uphold them and meet all of their needs each day. I am also praying for your friend, Mike, that he will grab hold of the Lord and that He will lift him from his depression over his divorce. I pray that Mike doesn’t fall back into the starvation pattern he had earlier, now that he has returned to Kansas. * LILY of Palmyra - I am praying for you, that the Lord will bring you healing from the broken ankle you suffered a week ago. I pray that He will bring you relief from all the pain, and that the ankle bones will heal properly and quickly. I pray that the Lord will strengthen your ankle and that you will be walking fine real soon.
DAN - I am praying for Sam, who has had a high fever and other symptoms, including being very weak. I pray that the Lord will bring her complete healing. I am praying that she will be able to hold up under the strenuous tests she will be having today. I pray that the Lord will give wisdom to her doctors to know what is causing this and how best to treat her. May the Lord also give peace to her family during this time.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:14AM CDT
Comment by shirley of minneapolis, MN

Good morning upperroom family, thanks E H for your devotional this day I will your remember your wife in pray, the treatment get rid of all that dreadful cancer. May you all feel God's present today and always.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 03:49AM CDT
Comment by Cindy of Jersey Shore, PA

Tuck, Thank you for your message today and the reminder that no matter how far we think we can see, God lets us see only as much as we need to see. I praise Him for being our guiding light. Please know that I will keep your wife in prayer asking Him to provide comfort to her and strength for you.

Keeping all in prayer asking God to be with each one of the brothers and sisters in this cyber chapel. I pray for all spoken and unspoken words. I praise God for all of the prayers being sent for one another. Praising Him for this family of believers.

Kneel often and stand strong in Him.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 03:55AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Good morning Tuck, prayers for you, your wife & the medical professionals caring for her (& all those suffering). One day you have a normal life, then you find out you have cancer (whatever life altering event), you now have a completely different life. The nights & days before you know, you know your life & those around you will be changed forever. The hardest thing to keep from doing is trying to see to far ahead, to anticipate what might be next. Amen Tuck, with Christ Jesus by our side we can face each challenge as it is presented (He strengthens me).

Posted April 24, 2014 at 04:01AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Oh yeah, Morning all, God Bless, have the most wonderful Christ filled Day, PTL
Sarah, I was thinking, you have a nice way of writing. Have you ever thought of proof reading as a way to possibly supplement your income? Lawyers, surveyors, students, newspapers, publishers, etc...
Sarah, I too have been guilty of going into panic mode when I face something hard. We have to learn to trust Him, it is natural to panic, it is supernatural to believe & trust Jesus. He is faithful & true, I trust Him more each day, learning not to panic first (I forget & still do occasionally, well almost always, but then I am reminded by The Holy Spirit to trust in Jesus).

Posted April 24, 2014 at 04:18AM CDT
Comment by Curt

Tuck, I pray for you and your wife as you go one day at a time. I know the feeling and uncertainty that my mind can induce. For everyone in this cyber chapel I pray that we listen and hear what our Lord instructs us to do. Have a blessed day!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 04:19AM CDT

Good morning my friends. E. H., thank you for your devotional contribution and welcome to the UR family. I imagine that all of us have difficulty as we wonder about what lies ahead. Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow as today has enough troubles of its own. I find myself at times wondering what can be done to help in our current world situation and I pray about my concerns and the concerns of others often. I know that I cannot provide food for everyone in the world but I also know that the Lord tells us that we must share what we have with others. There are enough resources in our world that no one should go hungry if we all would only share with others. As I sit here, we have some rain about 70 miles to the west and we should be having some thunderstorms by this afternoon which will help to alleviate the dry spell here. Vancouver island had a strong earthquake (magnitude 6.6) just a little after 8pm last evening (their time) but so far no real injuries are reported. I pray for their safety. Sarah, I still have no information about how Mary Black is doing but I will try again to find out. By the way, the senior center is a place for seniors to get together, not an actual residence for seniors. I pray today for all who suffer from illness that they will find healing through Jesus Christ our Lord and for those who are seeking employment, that they will seek his guidance in their search. His way is the only way to go as we struggle with the problems that seem to crop up day after day. May we all be blessed today. Praise the Lord!!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 04:20AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Reading, PA

Good morning UR family, E.H thank you for your devotional this morning. Your devotional was very uplifting. I pray for your wife. Cancer is hard. My good friend in Lock Haven not only battled breast cancer but lung cancer too. I am keeping all in prayer today battling this illness. Sarah, I think Matt had an awesome idea for you! I pray for you constantly. Henry, I am keeping your daughter and family in prayer. Also, Mike....I pray he will look to the Lord for strength. I pray for a good job for you too. Curt, I like your comment. My small group (class) I go to on Tuesday evenings were talking about "listening" to God. The discussion was about prayer being answered and someone mentioned that most miss answered prayer because we didn't take the time to listen to God. It was an interesting discussion. Please keep me inn prayer regarding this new apartment I looked at last night. I really like it. Please pray my application goes through. My prayers today are for all spoken and unspoken needs May we all have a blessed day.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 04:43AM CDT

Good morning all I see a great day outside to begin this journey called today. Praise the Lord!!! Tuck. thanks for the scripture and devotional. First, let me pray for your wife and you I pray the Lord will touch you both as you continue on this journey with cancer may you find peace and comfort in His Love, God has a plan. The ole boatman's concept of only going as far as he can see then proceed as far as he can see is a great concept for keeping our live in focus for doing what Christ wants us to do as we move forward on the journey He has for us. Praying that all the needs the UR Family have today are met by Jesus in a positive manner. His will not ours. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:13AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thanks, Tuck, for your devotional. A beautiful and inspired truth, to go as far as we can see always trusting in the Lord. Paul reminds us not to be anxious about anything. Our human nature is to worry when we don't have control. May the Lord help us remember that it is sweet to trust in Him. Praises to God for all answered prayers and praying for the needs of our cyber fellowship of believers. Have a wonderful day in the Lord.
*******
’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
*****:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
*****
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.
********
by Louisa M. R. Stead, 1882 and William J. Kirkpatrick, 1882. Public Domain.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:36AM CDT

Tuck, thank you for your devotion, and I appreciate what you went through. In a situation of long-term care, there is so much discomfort, emotion and insecurity in our attempts at healing. It's hard not only for us to see the progress, but especially for us to communicate Hope to the person who is buried in this process; we want them to see Hope in us (but it's so often waning). I've gone through this more than once personally, and dozens of times in my work in rehab at the hospital. This is not usually a situation where the endpoint is the possibility of death, as it was for you, but the family and the patient are still looking at a life which days before had been vigorous, sometimes quite young and often crucial for a family with children and not much money. Now, they have suddenly encountered a stroke, a 'could have been fatal' auto accident, a brain tumor, etc., and these were just examples from my shift Monday. The length of time required for many of these patients, even until they can feed themselves, let alone walk or other basic functions is often measured in months. Simply put, as did your guide, I tell them to look each day, and ideally, journal, something they could do today, they couldn't do yesterday; like a few degrees of movement in an index finger that gave no response the day before. Also, the be intentional about revisiting the progress each week; it all about HOPE. I have been following the progress of a young man in his 30's named Andy on Caring Bridge for nearly 2 years. He and I spent much of a day alone with one another shortly after his near-fatal car accident, as a break for the family; this is truly how they measure his progress. Prayers for Andy, his parents, family and many friends who have been continuing his progress at home, because insurance has its limits. Their faith and joy in God's providence, slow as it is has been inspiring.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:42AM CDT
Comment by Joseph of Mustang, OK

Tuck
thanks for a powerful message. May God help you on your journey and may God bless your wife and bring total and complete healing to her body

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:47AM CDT
Comment by Beth

Tuck, I read your devotional in the Upper Room magazine, and the editors noted that your wife passed away during the production of that issue. Please allow me to offer my sympathy to you and your family. Your precious wife lives on in the words you wrote that bless the hearts of all who read them. Your words inspire not only those facing health crisis and an unknown future, but everyone who is trusting God day-by-day. May the peace and comfort of God be yours today as you remember her with love.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:48AM CDT

P.S., Tuck, I do appreciate your devotion and likewise welcome you. I was really looking forward to reading the author's blog, to hear the rest of the story two years downstream from what you shared with us today. This could be really useful in helping others who are presently going through the same thing.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:51AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. Thank you E.H.( almost slipped and said "E.F like in that old commercial E.F Hutton I digress). Your devotional reminds me of telling about"The Adventures of Superman" err I mean my time over in Iraq.You woke up singing "Green Acres" is the place to be" as you open the tent door and seen"blue skies and sand on all sides of you. It was like been "trapped inside a big hour glass".. My wife's aunt is a breast cancer survivor and told me how she dealt with it. Her husband is a prostate cancer survivor. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request. Kathy "not listening to God is when your life is'going like George Jetson on that "Moving airport sidewalk/treadmill"Jane , stop this crazy thing! lol. Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day...

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:52AM CDT

Good Morning UR family and Thank you Tuck, for your devotional.. I will keep your wife and you in my prayers as you both continue to move forward in her treatments. Your strength and courage are certainly a testimony to the power of the Lord working within you.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not. May the light of the Lord shine on each and every one of you today.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 05:55AM CDT

Beth, thank you for the update regarding Tuck and his family from UR magazine. My sincere condolences to them, and prayers for them to find His joy going forward.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:05AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning to all. Happy Thursday! Thank you for your devotional, E.H. It showed your faith and strength. God bless you and your wife. I have already remembered you in my prayers as I prayed for all needs of the UR Family around 4:00 a.m. Thanks again. I hope to meet everyone here tomorrow (Friday).

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:22AM CDT

Tuck, thank you for the reading, my prayers are with you as you lost your wife to cancer. I have lost too many friends and have a couple family members fighting the terrible disease currently. Dianne joining you in prayer for all those affected by cancer, my SIL ANNETTE will be in Hackensack at the end of the month for stem cell harvesting if her blood counts are good enough. Lily, praying for healing from your broken ankle. Dan praying for Andy and his family for relief from the accident a couple years ago, and prayers for Sam with a high fever. Henry, prayers for you and your family. Mavis, praying all went well at the dentist, and prayers for Victor. Fran, praying Tim stays clean and sober. Debbie, praying you recover from your illness. Don, prayers for Mary Black from the senior center. Raynard, praying for your cousin, 2nd daughter, and friend in NC whose brother had a heart attack. Kathy, praying for you as you have some decisions to make, also prayers for Corey. Connie, prayers for your husband as he recovers from a heart attack. Jackie, praying for your cousin's mother in hospice. Yulia, praying for you and Jesse. Julia, praying for you and your family. Cindy, great to hear from you, praying for you and your family. Monte, praying for you and Carolyn. Praises for all needs met, and prayers for all needs spoken or unspoken. Have a blessed day!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:37AM CDT
Comment by Peggy of Atlanta, GA

Tuck, what a wonderful message. I love the picture in my mind of an ole native man taking your grandmother in the canoe... And going as far as he can see. A wise man! God has given me this day and I cannot even see to the end of it. I like to think I can plan my day out... Plan the route... But stumps and currents, etc. Change my path. May we all enjoy our trip today with God caring for the path. Tuck, I, too, send condolences and pray you find peace in your wife's beautiful memories. Blessings and prayers to all who enter this room.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:43AM CDT
Comment by Duane of Pomaria, SC

One day at a time, Sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking of you
Lord teach me to pray
Show me the way
One Day at a time

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:45AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Tuck, sorry for your loss, I will say Amen to what Beth said above. Prayers for you & yours

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:49AM CDT

Father God thank You for allowing us to see what is ahead of us but only a short distance at a time. We have to trust in You for the long haul. If we saw what was down the road we might not want to go there, but we trust You step by step. Be with those fighting cancer and other debilitating conditions. Bring peace to Ukraine. IJN. Amen.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:52AM CDT
Comment by Dawn of Rogers, AR

Tuck, I am so sorry that you lost your wife. May God comfort you with His peace and love. Your devotion was a beautiful reminder to keep moving as far as we can see and when we get there, God will show us a little farther. May God be with you in your daily walk as you walk as far as 'you can see.' Thank you for your beautiful devotion; it is a good word picture for me to remember in my daily walk. Blessings!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 06:53AM CDT
Comment by Missy

Good morning, UR family! Have a great, God-filled day ~

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:00AM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Good morning UR family. Tuck thank you for sharing your grandmothers story with us today. I'm sorry your wife is fighting lung cancer. My father had cancer throughout his body. The drs. told us that it's probably in his lungs because of the shadows in the images they had taken. The Indian guide placed his trust in God and so we should to.

Please continue to pray for our schools is SA. I picked up my nephew from his after school program and all he talked about was how the school was on lock down. Why do people find it necessary to scare children?

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:04AM CDT
Comment by Chris of Navarre, FL

Tuck, thank you for your devotion. It's timely. My mother passed away yesterday, after a five year battle with multiple myeloma. She endured chemotherapy for almost five years. It was very saddening to watch her deteriorate over the last six months. Even though we knew it was coming, the passing is still painful. Mom was in such pain the last month or two that she would say that she was ready to "go home". She's there now with Jesus and her mother and others. I pray that it was a joyful reunion, knowing that she's in a better place, free from the agonizing pain. Although we will miss her, my brothers and I will celebrate her life soon and rejoice that she's with our Lord and savior.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:06AM CDT
Comment by c.b.

thanks, tuck your g'ma's guide shared a thought similar to 19th century thomas carlyle's “Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther”, a valuable encouragement to keep us keeping on when the road is uncertain.

mighty blessings and prayers for you and your wife

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:20AM CDT
Comment by Gary of Wilmore, KY

TUCK: I pray for God's comfort & peace & wisdom to be with you after your journey as a care-giver. I am sure you were a blessing to your wife throughout the struggle. You honor her with today's devotional. Her life & her death are being affirmed by the way you are helping others today. For those preoccupied with worry & anxiety, you offer very good advice as to why we should focus on the present & not on the future....Peace to you.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:21AM CDT

Good morning all on this beautiful day. E. H. thanks for the devotion this morning. Trusting in God, one day at time, because today is here and tomorrow is yet to come. I've learned to live one day and sometimes one hour at a time, praising God for each new blessing. My prayers for all my faithful prayer partners and for all needs spoken and unspoken. "ASK"

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:21AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Tuck - what a beautiful devotional, thank you! It provided me much comfort and guidance! One day at a time indeed, and maybe giving thanks for only being able to see as far as God allows us. May your days be filled with the comforting, loving light of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!
Blessings!!!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:29AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Dear URF,
I read the print version and there was a note that said Tuck's wife passed away during the production of this issue. Let us pray for comfort for his family.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:32AM CDT
Comment by Debbie of Mabscott, WV

Thank you Tuck for the devotional, and I am sorry for your loss. Watching a loved one go slowly downhill is a devastating thing to go through, and seeing that once vibrant, smiling person eventually become bedfast and emotionless really breaks your heart. So thankful that if we let him, God will guide us through it all, even tho it's certainly not easy. I pray that my trust in Him will grow stronger.
The sun is out this morning, and hopefully it will warm up by the time I have to take Dad for bloodwork at 11. Thank you for your prayers for me... Praise God I am feeling almost back to normal today! I continue to pray for each of you and your requests.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:35AM CDT
Comment by Brian of Amarillo, TX

Tuck, welcome and thank you for sharing your story. Having read MARSHA's comment my prayers are with you and your family. What a comfort it can be to rest in the peace provided by the light of Christ, my difficulty is not trying to peek too far ahead when I know I should trust and rest in the present. My prayers for all those struggling with health issues, may God provide comfort and healing. On another note, my daughter Bailey graduated from college in December and has been looking for suitable employment, yesterday a door opened that could provide her employment, health insurance and the opportunity to continue her education in grad school. Please keep her in your prayers that The Lord guide her to the right situation. Have a blessed day all.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:41AM CDT
Comment by Jayne of Maury City, TN

Good morning UR family! Tuck, so saddened to hear about the loss of your wife, will keep you in prayer.
Thanks for the great devotional. It made me think of ships on the ocean and the fog rolls in really fast and is very thick, and all of a sudden they see the light of the lighthouse, what a relief that must be. Comparing God to a lighthouse doesn't seem appropriate but God is my lighthouse, because without him I would be lost just like the ship lost in the dark, and searching for my way back!
Lifting in prayer each name and situation mentioned and those on our hearts.
Praying that Monte and Carolyn are okay. Praying for a safe and a blessed day for all!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 07:42AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning UR family, Tuck thank you for the devotional. Sorry to hear that your wife lost her fight with cancer. Not being able to see very far ahead can help us stay focused on our next step, instead of rubber-necking at something in the distance. Prayers for those with lung cancer or any other prolonged illness, may they have inner peace, that allows hope to survive and prosper, filling their hearts and minds with God's unfailing love, amen.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:04AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Tuck, thank you for your message for us today. It seems so simple, but it is not always the easiest to live that way because of our human fear, impatience, and desire for control. We need to savor, relish, and value each day that we have, and avoid getting caught up in petty annoyances. Dan mentioned journaling, which is something that I started this year for 2014. I felt as if my life was flying by me so quickly, and that I was not appreciating each day. Now, before going to bed, I jot down at least one sentence or positive thing that happened in that day. It has helped me "slow down" a bit and recognize the many blessings in my life.

I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. I pray that she is enjoying the fullness of His Kingdom, and that He is lifting you up each day with the knowledge that someday you will be together again.

God bless.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:05AM CDT
Comment by Jackie of San Antonio, TX

Prayers for my cousins family. Harolynn passed away this morning. Thank you for praying for her.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:16AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Brownwood, TX

Thank you Tuck for your devotional today. I am praying for your family! My Mom passed away last year. I talk to her every morning in my prayers and take time to sing her favorite songs every day. I know she is no longer in pain, but I still miss her.
I remember that song "One day at a time". Sometimes it is just one hour or one minute at a time. I also thought of fog. You can a see a short distance, then further with each step forward. We should keep stepping forward.
Thank you for your prayers!
I am praying for each one of you.
Have a blessed day!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:18AM CDT
Comment by Yulia

PACKIA, thank you for your comment to me the other day! The way you expressed it was not only beautiful but touching as well. Honestly, what am i without Him? Where would i be without Him? Who would i be without Him? Blessings to you too!
KIM, HENRY, thank you for your faithful prayers for Ukraine. One of my cousins said that 2 days ago they had airplanes flying so low over our hometown in the Eastern part of Ukraine. In some areas they dropped "something" that the glass in the windows in the nearby houses got smashed. I have quite a few relatives who live there :( Blessings to you!
GEORGE, thank you for your prayers for Jesse and myself. Only God knows what He is doing. Some days or nights it does look scary to watch it, but we both remember to keep our eyes on the Lord, not on the circumstances or our bodies' symptoms. We both do our best we can, but the healing is from the Lord. Blessings and strength and extra grace to you and all your family! You guys are going through rough times too.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:41AM CDT

Tuck, let me echo Beth's words to you and your loss. God bless and keep you. Thank you for your loving, insightful devotional. I would add 3 little words to your devotional - 'and for us.'. I know you would agree.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 08:44AM CDT
Comment by Dick - NB, Canada

What a great devotional and wonderful prayer site. I think of Isaiah 60-20: Because the Lord will be your light forever. If only everyone could see what God has done in their lives.
It's nice to return to The Upper Room every now and then and add prayers to the faithful followers on this site. Although I am no longer a daily visitor it is a blessing to read periodically of the lives of prayer warriors.
The Lord continues to bless my life in every way, the busy times, the challenging times and the daily walk. The Lord is good in every way.
Blessings to all this day and evermore.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:02AM CDT
Comment by SEDELIA of DURHAM, NC

Good morning UR family.Thank you for your devotional Tuck and sharing with us about your family's journey with cancer. I am so sorry to hear that your wife lost her battle with the cancer but she won the victory through JESUS. I pray that your family is at peace. Prayers for Chris and family at the passing of your mother,also for Jackie and family at the passing of your cousin Harolyn. Prayers for everyone in this chapel of LOVE and for those that are absent. Cindy great to see you back with us this week GOD bless you and family. Prayers for a friend of mine Roberta who lost her mom this week the service is today. GOD give them peace. Have a BLESSED day everyone!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:11AM CDT
Comment by connie

And always remember that it’s His plan. It’s His purpose. Everything will be fulfilled in His perfect timing. Our job is to say, “Lord, I surrender.” I pray today brings you hope, peace, and a newfound perspective on fulfilling God’s will for your life.
Connie~

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:16AM CDT
Comment by Yulia

CHRIS of Myerstown, PA, thank you for all your comments and the one you wrote to me last night! You bring quite a good point! "The part about only God is perfect is true, but then you imply that we will never be," you write. I believe Nobody -- OUTSIDE CHRIST -- is perfect except God. But when we are in Christ, it is a different story.
     As i read different Scriptures, i find that the word "perfect" (in Christ) has a few synonyms: "mature," "complete." For example, in Heb. 10:14 it says, "For by one sacrifice he has made PERFECT forever those who are being made holy." In Jam. 2:22 it says, "You see that his [Abraham's] faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made COMPLETE by what he did." In Heb. 5:4 it says, "But solid food is for the MATURE, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." As i look in the Greek text of these Scriptures, i learn they all come from the same verb "teleioo" that can be translated as "to execute fully, discharge; to reach the end of, run through, finish; to consummate, place in a condition of finality; to perfect a person, advance a person to final completeness of character; to perfect a person, advance a person to a completeness of its kind, which needs no further provision; to receive fulfillment; to be brought to the goal, to reach the end of one's course; to be fully developed; to be completely organized, to be closely embodied" (Thayer, pp. 446-7).
     So you are absolutely right when you say, "All things are possible WITH GOD, including perfection." And then you describe how God perfects us. You know there's a Latin proverb that comes to mind. It says something similar, but God is not mentioned although, "Per aspera ad astra. Through hardships to stars."
     Thank you for your prayer for Jesse and me! Much appreciated! Daily blessings to you!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:19AM CDT
Comment by Angel of Algonquin, IL

Dear Tuck, I am so sorry for your loss. I have been a widow over four years now and I know this is so hard, but what you shared is still true, each step is like God's lighted path for the next one. Thank you for your devotional, it was very helpful to me to reread the Proverbs you chose. Many God give you journey mercies as you step forward into His daily light. Praying for you.
Angel

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:25AM CDT

Dealing with the 2nd day of a migraine. Had to come home early yesterday, took today off. New weather front moving in. I believe MO is getting it now, we're due to get it tomorrow.

Tuck, I am sorry for your loss. It is indeed difficult to watch a spouse succumb to lung cancer. Sept. 22nd will mark 10 years since my husband went Home. Prayers lifted as you continue through the grieving process. As your devotional says, go as far as you can see at any given moment, then when you see further, you can go further. There have been many days in the grief that I could only see the next minute ahead, let alone the next day. But God was and is always right there, in each minute, each day, each month as it comes and goes.

Cindy, it's good to see you posting occasionally again. Do so as you can, don't stress to do it, you've got enough on your plate. We love you and your family and keep you all in prayer and are always mindful to praise Him for what He is helping you accomplish in your far too stress filled life.

It has always been my understanding that each day's devotional was prepared and chosen a year in advance, so keeping that in mind I always wonder how the writer and/or others mentioned in the article are doing in the present, and am always conscious of the fact that one dealing with illness a year ago may have passed on, as is the case with Tuck's wife. I understand there are blogs a lot of authors have that update, but I just don't have time to look them up and read them. Maybe after I retire.

We are a blessed people who are loved by The God Who is Outside of Time, Who prepares and sustains our hearts when we walk with Him, Who gives us strength for the journey and helps us to live in the moment. We are blessed to have relationship with such a God, blessed to love Him back, blessed to be His servant to share The Good News of salvation and eternal life in Him, blessed to be giving a dark world hope for those who will have ears to hear and eyes to see.

Cyber hugs to all who enter this wonderful cyber chapel full of wonderful brothers and sisters in Our Lord. Know that you are loved.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:26AM CDT

Lydia, perfect song choice as always. Love that song.
Matt, the same for your song choice.
Chris, I am sorry for the loss of your mother yesterday. I am lifting you and your family in prayer as you go through the process of making arrangements, and through the grieving. But for her, now comes the praise. She's out of pain and in her new Home.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:31AM CDT
Comment by Elias of La Palma, CA

Tuck Eudy: Thank you for your devotional today. As it often happens, the Lord spoke to me, this time, through your testimony. And so I thank you for writing it. I believe that living 'one day at a time', going as far as we can see at a time and trusting that God is fulfilling His promises to us as we use our Faith, is how God prefers it. It is easier to LEARN how walk by Faith when we take it step at a time. May God give you the Desires of your heart!
***
Chris of Myerstown: Concerning your comment to Yulia yesterday, Jesus told us that fulfilling God's laws can only be done when we Love God first, and then our neighbor as ourselves. THAT is Perfection! As you know, trying to LIVE by the law will always lead to frustration, but Loving those around us Without Requiring in return is Perfection at its best!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:35AM CDT

Jackie, prayers for you and your family as you grieve the loss of your cousin. God is able to sustain you.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:36AM CDT
Comment by Leah

Tuck, thank you for this sweet and true devotional this morning! I am keeping you and your family in my prayers and all who are fighting cancer. Your wife's memories certainly do live on through your sweet words in this devotional. I pray that the Lord will uphold you and your family with His Almighty Loving and Comforting arms and give you all peace. I am praying for all prayer requests in this world, both those spoken and all kept in the heart. Thank you all for praying for Olivia and her family, I do not have much of an update. I Thank You, God for this beautiful day and for ALL the many sweet blessings You give us all, One of many being that You will be with us every step of the way and not allowing us to look too far ahead. I echo the true words of Matt in his post, "With Christ Jesus by our side we can face each challenge as it is presented (He strengthens me)." Thank you UR Family for being you! Love to all. God IS LOVE!!!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:40AM CDT
Comment by Leah

Tuck, your words "Our comfort is that we are not alone! Jesus, the light of the world, is with us." resonated with me and I praise God for your Faith in Him!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:47AM CDT
Comment by Margaret of randallstown, MD

TUCK, my condolences are with you I see at the "end of the message" GOD called your wife home to glory, she has new lung now. My mother passed away in '06 from lung disease and my aunt passed away in 2011 from lung disease, I know they are all in heaven jumping around the throne praising GOD with there knew set of lungs. LORD sometimes we dont understand your ways but you know each one of your children, you know every strand of hair on our head, LORD thank you for your word that TUCK bought forth to your children children reminding us that we can only see so far but you see out thru eternity and whenthat time comes for us all to meet you you will be there for each one of us to welcome us home to be with te love ones that are there with younow, I thank you LORD for your love and blessing today, continue to watch over your children today LORD . Thank you LORD for blessing us today with your love. Amen

Hi CINDY, nice to read a message from you today welcome back

Posted April 24, 2014 at 09:56AM CDT
Comment by Henry of Alexandria, VA

Thanks to Tuck and others for the devotional,scripture and comments emphasizing that God promises us that He will never leave us and that He wants us not to worry about the future and just do the best that we can for as far as we can see at the moment -- easy to say but hard for us humans to practice! Reminds me of the story of the individual who walked on the beach and threw back the starfish he found washed up on the shore. When another individual criticized him for what seemed like an endless and fruitless exercise because so many starfish continuously washed up, the response was "well I helped that one!" God indeed just wants us to do what we can and does not expect us individually to solve all the starvation and many other problems of the world. But if every Christian does what we can, we will indeed "help that one!" and hopefully many more. And after we help that one, God will guide us to our next path. Joining all in prayer for Tuck (praying for the repose of your wife's soul and care and comfort for you and your family!), for dear Sarah (you continue to amaze me in your memory of so many on our UR site and our prayer needs -- THANK YOU and God bless you dear sis!), Jackie and the SA schools and schools everywhere, George (also thanks to you for your kind prayers and meaningful comments!), Chris and family, Debbie and family, Brain and Bailey, Jackie Harolynn and families, Dick, Yulia and Jesse, Sheila, Cindy Lee Jer and families, Kathy Corey and families, our dear friend Mike still in Kansas fighting depression following divorce (thanks again Sarah for your prayers), those in life's storms of all kinds Korea ferry Flight 370 Ukraine (thanks Yulia my stepfather was Ukrainian and I grew up in Ukrainian church -- can still smell the incense -- so especially meaningful for me -- praying for their freedom!), those with health relationship and grieving issues, me Sarah and others still seeking employment or better employment, Julia Jeff and Matt, Monte and Carolyn, Dan and your ministries, and all other spoken and unspoken praises and requests. God is able and is indeed love. Grace, peace and blessings.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 10:37AM CDT
Comment by Mary Frances of Fairmont, WV

Thank you, Tuck for you message of faith today. As many of us read, your wife lost her battle with the lung cancer, but won her place in Paradise, where there is no pain, no cancer... As I fight my own battle with breast cancer, your words reassure my faith, that even though I can't see the whole journey, I know that my Lord travels with me, and will show me what I need to see just when I need to see it... I should say "we", since, like you, my husband is traveling this road with me. I will speak for your wife and tell you how grateful I am to have him with me on this confusing, sometimes painful journey. May God bless you and your family on this new journey! Love and prayers as you go.....

Posted April 24, 2014 at 11:21AM CDT
Comment by Debbie of Charlotte, NC

Good morning URfamily, it is good to be back amongst you. Tuck, I am sorry for the loss of your wife. I hope you have felt the Lord's love and compassion as you go forward in life without her. And may all the good memories you have of her flood your mind when you feel the lowest. So many are fighting cancer(I think of Annette) or have fought it(myself) and hopefully have won the fight. I continue to pray for all who are affected by this terrible disease. My husband's uncle passed away in Fla. 2 weeks ago. He moved down there in Jan. after 20 some yrs. living in the NC mtns. He was cold and wanted to get warm. Tried to get him to move to assisted living(he was 87) here in Charlotte where we could take care of him. He wouldn't do it. If you have an extra minute, I would appreciate a small prayer for my husband as he deals with this death. He has been to Fla. twice in the last two weeks, once when Uncle was in hospital and then 2 weeks later when he died unexpectedly. I thought of you, Edd, as he spent one night in Ocala. He will go down one more time to pick up cremations and then we have to get them to Minnesota where he is from and his wife is buried. He will then have to begin working with lawyers to settle uncle's estate. My wonderful husband took care of me for 7 months after my surgery and chemo treatments and now he's dealing with another family situation and never complains. I need attitude adjustment because I keep thinking things would be much simpler if he had listened to us and moved here. Haven't posted lately because of all this family drama, but am always praying for us. Grace and peace to all!

Posted April 24, 2014 at 11:33AM CDT
Comment by Carlo

Tuck, thank you brother. Your message brought tears to my eyes. Yes, we do have an awesome comforter in Christ! I too had cancer, but have been in remission. I'm thankful that you have shared about the challenge you faced and your hope in the Lord.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:34PM CDT
Comment by B.J. of Sierra Vista, AZ

Dear Tuck: Your wife is now free from pain and I pray that your own pain will lessen each day. Soon, you will be with her again as the faith that has sustained you through this ordeal will again shore you up. Peace be with you.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 01:24PM CDT
Comment by augustine of columbia, SC

Tuck, I am so sorry about your loss. I recently loss my ex to lung cancer, and I know that it is not easy for you. May God's grace continue to carry you through during the loss of your loved one and remember there is healing in the word.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 02:24PM CDT
Comment by Mavis of Houston, TX

Tuck my condolences to you and your family and remember, you are still not alone. "God, please give Tuck and his family your strong and loving arms to lean on in their time of loss. Welcome his wife into the gates of heaven so he may rest assured that she is with you and in no more pain." Prayers for all spoken and unspoken needs . I just felt the need to post and pray. Amen

Posted April 24, 2014 at 02:48PM CDT

Tuck thank you for sharing this "vision" from your grandmother's recollection. Sympathies to you for your loss and to Chris whose mother passed away yesterday. Both of them are better off by far. Praise be to God! I have become of fan of "less is more" in the farewells to our deceased family members. It was so very peaceful to not have to rush around. I understand folks desire to pay their respects, but is it really a time-limited thing? I just know it seemed respectful and stress-free comparatively. A friend that had accompanied me for the inevitable passing remarked that as well. I feel like the hubbub often makes the loneliness all that more apparent after the memorials are over and done with and everyone has returned to their lives. I am not sure there is a best or easier way, but those were my thoughts...and actually the requests of the deceased. To God be the Glory. Praying for those facing the days without a spouse or other close relative or friend and may you have blessed days/moments for the foreseeable future.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 02:57PM CDT