Sign-up Today!

Good Friday

Friday, April 18th, 2014

Read Mark 15:16-37

View the March-April, 2014 Issue

Jesus said, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

- Luke 22:19 (NIV)

I attend a Christian university and was recently required to read an article about the physiological changes that Christ would have experienced during his crucifixion. Holy Week is a time to remember that Christ died for our sins, but most of the time I’m only vaguely aware of the reality of his death. Reading about the hours of Christ’s torture and physical degradation, I couldn’t help but sob, “God, make it stop!” I was only reading about the event. How must Jesus’ mother have felt? How must God have felt? I was consumed by a deep sorrow for such irrepressible cruelty. At the same time I was flooded with gratitude, fully aware that Christ willingly submitted to this terrible death on the cross. As I thought of what Jesus said at the Last Supper, “Do this in remembrance,” I realized that we are to remember not only who Jesus was but also how and why he died. I am overwhelmingly grateful.

Debbie Middlebrook (Georgia, USA)

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16, NIV)

Dear God, we are filled with sorrow for the pain and suffering that Jesus endured so that we may live. We are grateful for the free gift of our salvation. Amen.

Prayer focusThose suffering persecution

Link to This Devotional

Good morning, everyone! Thank you, Debbie, for your devotional this morning. When you mentioned about how much physical torture Jesus endured for us and for our salvation, I am reminded of the movie, “The Passion of the Christ”. I saw that movie once, back when it first came out about ten years ago, but the graphic images of what Jesus endured for me have stayed with me all that time. From the hours in the Garden of Gethsemane, through the trial, the scourging, carrying the cross, and then the crucifixion, all were horrendous torture. And all to purchase our salvation. It does, indeed, cause me to tremble.
MELVIN of Henderson, NV - I am praying for you and for Pastor Kasio, that the Lord will bless both of you and your work. I pray for Pastor Kasio’s work with his people and ministry with the Maasai tribes in Kenya, that the Gospel will spread there.
KATHY of Reading, PA - I am praying for your co-worker, Vicki, who had a minor “meltdown” at work on Wednesday. I pray that the Lord will bring her relief from whatever stresses she is dealing with. I pray that she will know you as Savior, and as One who will carry her and her burdens.
RAYNARD - I am praying for the lady at your church whose son passed away last Friday, and having the memorial service tomorrow. I pray that the Lord will provide special comfort and peace to her and her family, and to all his friends. May they all find hope in the promises of Resurrection Sunday.
DAWN of Rogers, AR - I am praying for your neighbors, whose 20 year old granddaughter died in a car accident. I pray that the Lord will hold them close to Himself during this time of deep grieving, and give them an abundant measure of His peace, comfort and love. May He fill them with the hope of the Resurrection at this time.
MISSY - Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday! I pray that you had a really wonderful day yesterday, and that the Lord will bless you with many more years filled with His grace and favor.
PATRICIA of Laurelton, NY - I am praying for your one customer, who was kicked out of her home by the person she had been sharing her life with for fifteen years, and is now in a shelter. I pray that the Lord will provide her with a good place to stay, and also give comfort and peace to her during this time that must be very hard on her. I pray that He will bring something good in her life out of all of this.
MARGARET of Randallstown, MD - I am praying for your one former foster son, who is now back home with his mother. I pray that the Lord will continue to guide and direct him and his life. I pray that He will bless their family, meet all of their needs, and keep them close to Himself.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 12:29AM CDT
Comment by Bruno of Mutare, ME

Thanks Debbie for your devotion today. I am very overwhelmed for God love and for had died for me in the cross. May God help us to understand the meaning of easter so that we can change our way of living in Jesus name.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 02:37AM CDT

Debbie, thank you for your simple, but direct devotion, and for the wisdom you shared in the Blog. I particularly liked the reality that behaviors are processed through beliefs: 'It stems from a relationship with Christ and using scripture and his discernment to stop accepting every thought that goes through our mind as truth. In the same way that we cannot get to the father except through Christ, we should not allow our thoughts to get to us except through Christ' (2 Corinthians 10:5). If in times of stress, we bypass our Spiritual filter and accept all the fears and worries associated with a presumed threat, we have let the devil process our thoughts.
In that regard, when you prepared a paper for school on the physiology of the suffering which occurs when someone is crucified, you seemed to bypass a Spiritual filter described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13 (I think); which tells us not to grieve (or suffer) as those who have no Hope. Christ knew, at the end of His suffering (which He endured willingly) He would not only return to Heaven, His death for our sins, and resurrection would also assure our righteousness in God's eyes, and our resurrection to spend eternity with Him. Praise God!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 03:20AM CDT

P.S. As I reread my Comment above, I recall a belief that because Christ was also God, He could have endured the cross without any pain; this is not supported in either the Gospels or Old Testament ('My God, why have you forsaken me'). The scripture from Thessalonians does not promise God will somehow block the pain or grief we must go through, it simply permits us to endure it without the Spirit of hopelessness; a Spirit which simply makes the suffering that much worse. Crucifixion is a torture beyond anything we can imagine.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 03:32AM CDT
Comment by monte of laughlintown, PA

Thank you, Debbie, for sharing about Good Friday. I appreciated you words in the blog posting, “All of our thoughts should pass through the Shepherd’s gate so that we may discern his voice (John 10:1-5). “

Comments on “Beautiful Feet”:
“As I washed his feet, I realized how beautiful they were because, like the feet of Jesus, they brought good news wherever they went. Our small acts of service may go unnoticed or unappreciated by the world, but they are noticed by the Lord of life.”—(Eugene—the author)
GEORGINE—“I truly believe that example is better than words alone. Just as Jesus showed his disciples by washing their feet that the World's idea of hierarchy should not be the example for his disciples but rather that the one in authority should serve rather than expect to be served.”
MELVIN—“Each time I have traveled to Kenya and visited churches in the rural areas it has always been uplifting to see their spiritual faith in spite of the conditions that so many people there live in.”
KATHY--“ I didn't start going to Maundy Thursday services until about 10 years ago. This week has been very meaningful to me and I have been doing a lot of self-examination. It is hard to look at one's self.”—that last statement is so true, but so vital
DAN—“ God does notice when we serve Him in humility anytime; however, the effect on the people we serve may be more profound. A simple act of washing someone's feet, also elevates them in their Spirit, from a lowly, but worthy, recipient of our Love, to being a partner in ministry to their brothers and sisters.”
CONNIE—“I ask GOD, my Lord and Savior to help me give back what was so freely given to me: His love, compassion, and mercy.”
SHEILA—“ I don't recall ever participating personally in a foot washing service, but I do remember as a small child being in a church service with my paternal grandmother and seeing her and several other women wash each other’s feet and thinking how strange it was for people to be washing each other’s feet at church.”—yet the event has stuck in your memory bank
RAYNARD- “Before I got off work yesterday, I spoke to one of my officers as he was nearby."His lips moved and his voice ‘sounded like Mickey Mouse’. I knew he has been struggling like the rest of us with allergies. God placed it on my heart to do something for him. After I left my job to pick up my wife, I stopped at a convenience store. I picked up some cough drops and returned to the job and handed it to him.”—just a cup of water here and there as hands and feet of Jesus
DAWN—“ I have never experienced the washing of feet during a service. It sounds so personal and special.”—that it is!
DON—“What it points out is why we are here. We are here to serve and glorify our Lord, regardless of our position in life.”
CURT—“ Kenya holds a special significance for me. 25 years ago my son went there when he was a teenager on a Volunteer In Mission trip. Thru his trip, my wife and gained new insight to Christian mission and outreach which has now become so precious to our lives.”
ANITA—“We did this once before in my church and there were disposable gloves available for people to use. The lady whose feet I was washing was embarrassed by the condition of her feet and said to me ‘you may want to use the gloves.’ I looked at her and said, ‘I bet Jesus didn't use gloves.’ And proceeded to wash her feet.”—you got the message, loud and clear
GAIL—“ I work in an acute care clinic as a nurse practitioner. Occasionally I have to soak someone's foot to clean a wound. As I'm lifting the foot from the basin and drying it with a towel I frequently think of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. It's a pleasing remembrance.”
MICHELE—“I have never participated in foot washing as a part of a worship service, but my husband has, and he talks about how powerful an experience that it is.”
BOB of MI—“I have experience my feet being washed once during an ASP evening gathering. Very humbling.”
JUDY—“These missionaries have made such changes in our world. Because of their ministry, the African Conference of the UMC is abundantly strong. Several times during our General Conference in Tampa, it was their vote that made the difference in several actions. God is still at work. Maybe they should be missionaries to us here in the US.”
MISSY—“Have a blessed and peaceful and God-filled Maundy Thursday ~ it's my birthday today!!”—praise God; does a day late count?
JOE—“That is what the Lord would have us do - getting to the stinking dirt and rough spots of our and others lives and washing/changing into new creations/creatures in Christ (II Corinthians 5:17).”
 It seems that foot-washing is not on the radar of most churches. Yet, we see by the comments that many have experienced the power of such times of humility before our Lord. I read many comments about commitment to humble service and being beautiful feet and I cannot help but think about those who journey from Palm Sunday to Easter without passing through Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. It may take a little humbling and humiliation to put us in the frame of mind for humble service. Like Bum Philips used to say, “The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh.” I have read arguments by scholars that even though Jesus instructed his disciples to wash each other’s feet, he didn’t mean for us to do it now. Somehow they argue that we have ‘clean feet’ now, and the practice is no longer needed. I haven’t seen a time that we needed it more.
May this be a time for observing Good Friday in meaningful ways. May we, who are not obligated by employment, take this time in the middle of the day to meditate on Jesus’ suffering and death for us. I am privileged to share the Seven Last Words in worship with a few at an assisted-living facility this afternoon. For those obligated by employment, may you keep Jesus in your thoughts and find a later time to worship.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 03:36AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Debbie Middlebrook, when I think that God The Father has put to much on me, I try to remember what He ask Jesus to endure. Jesus did not want to do it this way, He knew what was coming, but He did it anyway. He did it to obey The Father & for my unworthy & often ungrateful soul, I love Him for it.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 04:17AM CDT

Debbie, I thank you for pointing out the psychological effects of the physical pain and how it all ties in to the spiritual... I often remind people we are "3 in 1" beings... society would have us believe we are just psychological and physical and when we die that's it... but we also have the spiritual which will never die. Praise God that we have The Christ, Who paved the way to a life of spiritual relationship with The Father and we too, one day, will experience our own resurrection! Hallelujah!
I am confused as to why the NRSV and other translations omits verse 28, which reads in the NKJV "So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "And He was numbered with the transgressors."
If that was in original transcripts why was it omitted, if it was not in original transcripts why would it have been added later? Any Bible scholars want to fill us in on this?

We are such a blessed people, who have relationship with The Christ Who took our beating, who took our sins all the way to The Altar of The Cross and was sacrificed in our place, so that we might live more abundantly IN Him. Jesus, I AM so sorry that You had to, but God of Love, I AM SO glad You did!

Cyber hugs to all who enter this chapel. Please understand just HOW MUCH you ARE LOVED; all the way to the cross, the grave, and back to life again!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 04:48AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Reading, PA

Good Morning UR family, Debbie, thank you for your very meaningful devotional this morning. Sarah, I saw the Passion of the Christ when it first came out. The images stay with me too. I went to a Maundy Thursday service last night and we were reminded that Jesus is our best friend. Our best friend endured a lot for us and I am not taking that for granted. This week has been a tough one. I am really taking a good look at myself and decisions I have made. I want to change and become a better person. I know the job move was a good move. I talked to a former coworker of mine yesterday and the work is very slow at my old job She doesn't know if they will have jobs in the future. I hear the birds singing outside! May we all have a very blessed day today.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 04:55AM CDT
Comment by Lydia of Cumming, GA

Thank, Debbie, for your devotional. The power of God's love poured out in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. There are times when thinking about Jesus suffering on the cross we are overwhelmed by his suffering and feel, in a more profoundly way, God's love and grace. Our gratitude and our love to God who gave his only son in redemption for our sins. The great Isaac Watts said it in a beautiful and inspiring way.
***********
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
*******
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.
******
See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
**********
His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.
********
Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
********
by Isaac Watts, 1707 and Lowell Mason, 1824. Public Domain.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:13AM CDT
Comment by Traian

Good Morning from ROMANIA dear UR family! Thank you Debbie for helping us to fix our eyes on Jesus ,the author and perfecter of our salvation,and on his terrible death on the cross.It reminds us,as the apostle Peter says , that we all were redeemed not with silver or gold,but with the precious blood of Christ. Yes , celebrating the Holy Supper we are to remember not only who Jesus was, but also how and why he died. Have a blessed day, a real Good Friday, each of you,by HIS love and grace!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:16AM CDT

Thank you Debbie for your meaningful words this day. Good Friday. Lydia thank you for your hymn selection this day as well. I attended a very moving Holy Thursday service last night and will attend the noon Good Friday service as well. Powerful reminders. Debbie thank you again. Remembrance of Him who perished painfully for all of us sinners. Dan, fully God, fully man. Painful not pain free indeed! Thank you for your wise words day in and day out.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:29AM CDT
Comment by Barbara

Good Friday Morning everyone! Debbie thank you for your devotional which reminds us all of the horrific torture our Savior endured for our undeserving souls! I never saw "The Passion of the Christ" but I recently saw "The Son of God" and it too had a powerful re-inactment of Jesus' suffering and crucifixion. It was very difficult for me to watch but I am thankful for the reminder of what Christ did for me. I often think of His suffering when I am having a pity party for what I am enduring. That thought quickly changes my self pity and gives me strength to endure my own cross. Monte unfortunately I am obligated to work this Good Friday, however, I am going to see the movie "Heaven is for Real" with my daughter and grandchildren after work. I am anxious to see what the suffering and pain of Good Friday promises us on Resurrection Sunday. May you all have a blessed Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday! Barbara from Buffalo NY.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:37AM CDT
Comment by Curt

Debbie thank you for your deeply meaningful devotion. Years ago I read historical accounts of the brutality of the crufion. It is deeply disturbing and it sticks with me. As Monte said above, you have to pass through (Pittsburgh) Good Friday to get to Easter.
** Footwashing - one week that our church sheltered the homeless, a minister came and performed a footwashing ministry for our guests. One by one he washed, clipped and filed nails, filed down calluses, rubbed lotion into their feet and talked to them about life, and God.

Thank you God for your love of all mankind. May all of us experience a Christ filled Easter!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:38AM CDT

Yes Debbie, it is good for us to realize how much Jesus went through. We need to remember.
Attended a wonderful Seder feast last night. The choir sang and then all attending took part in an example of the"Passover." Small round tables were used, so each of us really participated in the Worship Service which ended with the choir sings "Getheseme." (sorry for the spelling = not in spell check- that speaks to today's world) Came home feeling so blessed. Tonight we have our Good Friday service. I am surrounded by His Presence.
Prayers for all who are suffering defeat, pain, sorrow, financial woes, hard relationships. Especially praying for George's Bethanne with all the family illness.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:46AM CDT

Good morning friends. Debbie, we thank you for your devotional contribution and we welcome you to the UR family. Jesus came to earth to both serve and to save us from our sins. The suffering that He endured, especially the physical pain for hours on the cross is something that I have always found hard to grasp. But the fact that he did it all for us is also diffficult to grasp when I look around myself and see the selfishness in our world today. Although I have never participated in foot washing in a worship service, I have tried to serve in other ways. In our congregation where I worship we do observe the Lord's Supper on a weakly basis and as one of the deacons in our congregation I have had the honor and privelege of serving the the bread (His body) and the cup (His blood) to those who are attending worship services. To me, it is a somber and yet uplifting task and I pray that all other participants have the same thoughts. Good Friday of 1964 is one time that sticks in my mind. My father's funeral was that day and that certainly cast a gloom over that Good Friday. That evening we were watching TV and the nertwork cut in to the program to tell us about the great earthquake that struck Anchorage, Alaska. I recall that it measured over magnitude 9 on the Richter Scale and caused much destruction and loss of life there. It made me pause to remember the shaking of the earth at the time Jesus died and has remained imprinted on my mind for over 50 years now. Our parents taught us that we were here to serve those around us and they did much to try to help others with their problems. We were taught that we were here to serve Him through our service to others and that our problems could wait until others had been served first. I pray this day that all of us find Jesus Christ as our Savior and follow His example in service to others. I pray also today for healing of the mind and of the body for all who are suffering illness and that we might in some way act to help and encourage those around us and all over our world. This is what Jesus directs us to do and we should be following His leading all of the time, not just at Christmas and Easter. Prayers for those who are still seeking employment that they will soon find it. Sarah and Monte,. I wish to thank you once again for your service and devotion to this page, in spite of your own difficulties. May the Lord bless keep all of us today and forevermore. Praise the Lord!!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:53AM CDT
Comment by Raynard of newark, DE

Good Morning U.R Family. ( Shelia I did not see the movie you and Sarah mentioned or the bible series that was on TV I think last year."As the stomach turns you might say and those little white bags on airplanes remind me of microwave popcorn.. I digress Back to my comment.. Thank you Debbie for your devotional today. Kathy, this week I felt"like I was on a treadmill and"my Richard Simmons "little pair of stripes shorts" still don"t "quite fit" lol.. But my saving grave is the peace I receive when I singing "Barry Manalow's "Looks like we made it".... As I'm reminded of Good Friday not because it's "payday or a day off at work( I go in this afternoon) Keeping the simple things simple plain and simple. Prayers going out to each and every spoken and unspoken request.Be encouraged and blessed everyone and have a great day..

Posted April 18, 2014 at 05:54AM CDT

Good morning all my friends. God has provided a great day for us all. Praise the Lord!!! Debbie, thanks for the scripture and your devotional. All I can think of is how insignificant our pains and needs are compared to what Jesus suffered for us. I think of the crowd that taunted Jesus must have been similar to the old west lynch mob. A few stir up the crowd to do the deed no matter if the person is innocent or guilty. I always think of how bad the followers who didn't have the nerve to stand up and say no felt when they realize the individual was really innocent like Jesus was as he went through such a terrible ordeal. Praying that we as Christians will always say no to injustice. Praying all the UR Family has a day filled with the love and healing only that Jesus can provide because He is the only one qualified to do both because of His suffering for us on that cruel cross. God is Love!!! Edd of Ocala, FL.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:03AM CDT
Comment by Jimmie of Chester, VA

Good morning, everyone. Happy Friday! I prayed for you early this morning. I know that God will meet all need as already spoken in His word. The horrible death that Jesus died on the cross gives us this hope. Thanks for your devotional, Debbie. It will motivate me to be more thankful for what Jesus did not just for me, but for all who will accept His gift of salvation. Thanks again.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:20AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Debbie, I agree with you about the emotions that get stirred up when really thinking about the painful physical experience that Jesus went through. I know that I can't imagine it. Knowing that I can't understand Jesus' anguish (especially when he cried out "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"), one year during this time, I tried to imagine the events from the perspective of the disciples. Although I was also fasting, it wasn't difficult, because every time I imagined what the disciples had just witnessed, it took my appetite away. To see your best friend, humiliated, and tortured for hours, until death - it's painful to think about.
I think that considering the suffering that He endured evokes a stronger feeling of repentance over our sins, and the helpless feeling that there is nothing we can do to un-do our sins.
I'd like to do a "Lydia" thing, and share some music with everyone:
A Litany by William Walton (copyright Oxford University Press 1930)

Prayers for all today who visit here. We are so fortunate to know how the story ends!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:34AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Good morning, to you Debbie and UR family. In your ending sentence, “Do this in remembrance,” I realized that we are to remember not only who Jesus was but also how and why he died." This is important of course, but would it not be more important to remember how He lived.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:43AM CDT
Comment by Louise of Montclair, NJ

Good Friday!!! Grace and peace to all of you on the glorious day that the lord has made. Thank you Debbie for your devotional today…Like you, I too become consumed with deep sorrow every time I read about the irrepressible cruelty Jesus willingly submitted to during his horrible death on the cross. Every time I read about it, and meditate on it, I’m in awe of just how much Jesus loves each and every one of us. At times I’ve said to myself, “would I be willing to die that kind of death for someone else?” Jesus words “Do this in remembrance of me,” for me means not only how he died, but also how he lived. May the lord bless you all…prayers for all who are suffering from the storms of life. Blessing for all of you who are reaping the rewards God has graciously given you. Thank you lord, for the precious GIFT OF LIFE you have given us. Have a blessed holy day!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:56AM CDT

Father God how we grieve over the death of Your Son. Yet we rejoice in His Resurrection. We thank You for both. We feel so small, and yet You love each one of us. In Your suffering and death we can find peace. Thank You. Be Thou our vision. IJN. Amen.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 06:58AM CDT
Comment by Missy

Good morning, UR family! Thank you Sarah and Monte! I had a great day! Our time here is a vale of tears; but one day, God will wipe away every tear. I'm depending on that. Be encouraged and have a God-filled day! Praises for prayers answered and needs met, and prayers for spoken and unspoken requests.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:01AM CDT

Good morning to all! Debbie, thank you for the devotion this morning. Reflecting on the torture that Christ endured for us, I thank Him daily that He died upon the cross for my sins. I strive each day to live a life that is pleasing to Christ and be a blessing to someone along life's way. Prayers and praises for all needs spoken and unspoken today. "ASK"

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:16AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Monte, Jesus said a lot of things but we don't take all of them literally. Washing feet at the time had a practical reason, at the time, but I believe that humility has other forms as well. If Jesus were in the flesh with us today, what might be His ending or parting, words? How bout listen to your children, your wife, husband, family, friends, etc. Do this in remembrance of me. More than any other time in my lifetime, have people been so preoccupied with technology, phones, ipads, games,texting, etc. than now. If you go to any grocery or department store you will find someone gabbing while trying to checkout, people fiddling with there phones barely watching where they are going. People are losing the ability to communicate effectively, then resort to violence.

These are the words of Jesus, "The Cost of Being a Disciple

25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
 Are you carrying your cross like an umbrella, and hating yourself and those around you? I hope not! I do not say these things to shame you, but to shock your thinking process. It is also said without parable, He spoke not, or words to that effect. I believe that nothing that Jesus spoke had only one meaning. The truth is out there and within, but you must find it and experience it yourself, not take for granted every traditional view as a matter of course. Test the spirits! Have a good Friday, Monte!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:24AM CDT

Good Morning UR family and Debbie thank you for the devotional. At a Bible study I once attended we studied the crucifixion and when the temple was torn in 2. How for a few moments Jesus felt the weight of all of our sins .Aside from the horrendous physical pain , there was the emotional pain as well. It makes me think that the next time I go through a tough situation I know it is nothing compared to what Jesus went through. All I can say is Thank you Lord for allowing Jesus to die for our sins.
Praying for all on the list spoken or not.
Have a blessed day UR family.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:36AM CDT
Comment by Fred of Renwick, IA

Debbie, thank you for today's devotion. The scripture you used, Mark 15: 16-37 brings the whole picture of cruelty and what he had to go through to my mind. I praise Jesus for his sacrifice. At the lay servant training I was going thru several weeks ago, we were asked what our favorite verses were. A young girl in attendance, cited John 3:16. But I think it should also include verse 17. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. This tells the whole purpose of Jesus's life here on earth. Prayers to all spoken and unspoken. Praise Jesus for his sacrifice.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:39AM CDT
Comment by Jason

Even as a young adult I never fully realized the torment and torture that Christ willingly endured just for me, & just for you... One of the closest visualizations I have ever seen was watching The Passion that Mel Gibson produced. As horrible as it was I am so glad He died for me... Thank you for sharing & Happy Easter.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:43AM CDT
Comment by connie

Good Friday to You..The truth is that we have much in common with the fools and villains of Easter. The wonder is that Jesus loved them, and us, enough to submit to foolishness, injustice, and death. The miracle is that three days later, he rose from the dead to offer us salvation. Hallelujah, what a Savior. Connie~

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:43AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Debbie - thank you for your devotional, we are an Easter people and your telling of the lead up to it, the cause and effect was beautifully told.
Blessings!!!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:51AM CDT
Comment by chris of Myerstown, PA

Sheila, your question about Mark 15: 28 is a good one.
  Missing verses are always interesting, and Mark has its fair share (7.16; 9.44, 46; 11.26; 15.28; 16.9-20). These are passages that were printed, with verse numbers assigned, in Stephanus 1551 but are no longer generally regarded as part of the original text of Mark and not printed as such in recent critical editions.

But what about Mark 15.28? Is rehabilitation possible? Or is this verse destined for life in the margins?
 There seems to me personally more argument for inclusion than to be omitted, as Isaiah53:12 is the scripture that goes with it. It could be the old, trying to fix something that's not broke, cause. I'm all for greater accuracy in translation, but as to Mark writing verse 15:28 or a scribe at some later point, doesn't change the truth of this statement. Kind of like American government today, they do whatever they please.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:54AM CDT
Comment by valerie of new brighton, mn

Thank you Debbie for the devotion today. As others have commented, I too have seen 'The Passion of the Christ'. It helped me understand the agony and suffering even more. Thank you Jesus that you love each one of us to die for us. Praise God for your resurrection!
The Pastor's sermon during the Maundy Thursday service was titled "What's on Your Bucket List?" He went on to say how our bucket list is all about ourselves and what we want. Jesus' bucket list was about celebrating the Passover with the disciples and washing their feet; serving them, serving us. The Pastor's last question to us,"What's on your Basin and Towel List?"
Praise God that we know that even though Christ died, Easter is coming!
Prayers for all posted requests and those in our hearts. In Jesus' Precious Name, Amen.

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:57AM CDT
Comment by Jayne of Maury City, TN

Good morning U R family! Debbie, thanks for today's devotional. As I reflect on the horrific suffering Jesus went through, what comes to mind is, Because He Lives I Can Face Tomorrow. Hallelujah!
Praying for each spoken request and those that are on our hearts. Praying for a safe and a blessed Good Friday to all!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 08:00AM CDT
Comment by Michele of Grove City, PA

Debbie, thank you for sharing this message. Thinking about the physical and emotional pain endured by Jesus for us is difficult for me. I cannot fathom that kind of love. I also cannot imagine being His mother, or disciples...Peter...knowing that there is nothing you can do for Him. Peter especially, knowing that he betrayed Jesus and now Jesus was slipping away from him...he must have been devastated. I always try to remember that even though Jesus told them that He would rise, they did not understand what He meant, and so to them at this moment, He was gone forever. How blessed we are that we have always known the next chapter of the story, and that we have always lived in the next chapter.
God bless all on this Good Friday!

Posted April 18, 2014 at 08:06AM CDT