More from Bob LaForge

by Upper Room Administrator on Thursday, September 07, 2017

I have been a Christian since 1977 when God showed me that when I am in control of my life it will not go well and that God needs to be the one true Lord and Savior. I am married to Toni and have twin daughters, Sarah and Danielle, who were born in 2006. At the church that we attend, Grace Bible Church, I oversee the bookstore and teach Adult Sunday School. My wife sings in the choir and is on the Fellowship Committee. Our two daughters are in AWANA and American Heritage Girls.

One topic that I feel particularly strong about is the crucial importance of knowing who and what God is. I believe that the more deeply we know God the more likely we will fight the good fight, finish the course, and keep the faith (2 Timothy 4:7). When accept Christ, God puts our feet on a new foundation. But if our spiritual eyesight is dim we will not clearly see what we are standing on and every wind and wave will panic us. But as studying the Bible improves our spiritual vision we will see more clearly that what we are standing on is the sold rock of Jesus Christ. Our confidence will grow and we will have a greater desire to become more like the one who delivered us (Colossians 1:13).

My book “Contemplating the Almighty” came from a time in my life that was particularly rough. I was in a prolonged discouragement and thought about the best way to break out of it. Being overly busy, TV, and video games were only distractions. Finally I realized that the only way out was to know God better. So for almost two years I did a focused study on what the Bible says about God. The result answered the question in Song of Solomon 8:5, “Who is this coming up from the wilderness leaning on her [his] beloved?” That was me and my beloved was God. So no matter what topic I teach or write on the central focus and example is always God. He is indeed our Rock and our Fortress.

Bob La Forge

Thank you Bob for your more from the author. God is indeed our refuge and our strength.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted September 07, 2017 at 01:21AM CDT
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

What a nice picture of your family. Thank you for your meditation and writing this blog. A great way to start my day with God. Bless you brother.

Posted September 07, 2017 at 04:36AM CDT

Bob, great family and yes God must be in charge or, as some youth I have around me say, things will get mucked up. God is Love for All!!!

Posted September 07, 2017 at 05:49AM CDT
Comment by Rudy of Chicago, IL

Jerry, Yes, he is indeed our Rock and our Fortress! Thank you!
Rudy

Posted September 07, 2017 at 07:07AM CDT

God is indeed our rock and fortress. Thank you Bob. Beautiful family picture.😇🎂🌸🌸🌻

Posted September 07, 2017 at 07:39AM CDT
Comment by Joe of La Porte, TX

Thank you Bob. Appreciate your insight.
It's a wonderful blessing to know there are brothers and sisters in our Lord, who can share experiences that bolster my faith.

Posted September 07, 2017 at 08:44AM CDT
Comment by Lace of Amarillo, TX

God has brought me thru a very dark childhood and a lonely abusive marriage at 16 .. to get away from the abuse at home .. He gave me the strength to leave so my children would not grow up in an abusive home, so the cycle stopped with me
He is always protecting me as my life goes on and I have learned to lean on Him as my Rock .. my Fortress. The trials He has blessed my life with have then become opportunities for me to be both humbled and blessed as He used me in the lives of other women dealing with similar issues. I do not "look" like an abuse survivor I am told .. but like someone who has never seen how ugly life and people can be .. so it is always a shock to the woman I'm helping .. they always ask the same question .. but at differing places .. but how? I smile .. and raise my hand slowly .. pointing to my Father in Heaven .. "by God's Holy Grace and Mercy. He is my Rock."

Posted September 07, 2017 at 09:28AM CDT