More from Tamar Piehler

by Upper Room Editorial on Thursday, August 10, 2017

I am so pleased the Upper Room has asked me to write this blog entry based on my meditation published online August 10, 2017. It describes my struggle with a degenerative medical condition that went undiagnosed for four years. Through that journey, I learned the importance of turning my troubles over to God. In addition, I learned several other lessons that I’d like to share with you:

1. God is more interested in my transformation than my comfort. He could have healed me from my first prayer for help, and I wondered why he didn’t. In retrospect, I realize that God was with me in this struggle at all times, but he waited for me to fully absorb the lessons I needed to learn before leading me out.

2. Ask for help. I missed many opportunities to ask for support and prayer. Was I too independent, too proud, or too scared? Perhaps all three. Other than my nuclear family, I didn’t include those who loved me in my struggle, and that was foolish. We’re all in this crazy world together. Once my healing began, so many people came forward to say they didn’t know what was wrong, but they had been praying for me the whole time.

3. We’re all broken. In some way, whether physical, psychological, or situational, we all struggle. Since my experience, I have become more empathetic towards others. Just as I kept my condition mostly private, I know that many people around me are walking through difficult times even as they appear “okay.” I am now more sensitive to the struggles of others, and I especially hope to help those struggling receive diagnoses for their ailments.

4. Share hope. During my struggle, I heard God’s voice encouraging me to “write our story.” I’m not much of a writer, but I began journaling. I wrote consistently about my struggles, which provided a record of both my medical and spiritual journeys. Later, during conversations about my dark days, I was able to recall details easily. On appropriate occasions, I also had the opportunity to share the lessons I learned and the constant faithfulness of God. My experience opened doors for witnessing that I never expected or sought, including in The Upper Room!

I know that I have many more lessons to learn, and there will be more hard times ahead. I am thankful for the ability to share my experience with you, and I hope that it encourages you.

I praise God for always being with me, no matter where I go, no matter what I walk through.

- Tamar Piehler

P.S. For those with questions about my neurological condition: I have Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD). In short, my body does not produce enough dopamine, which is a neural-muscular transmitter. Dopamine supplements alleviate most of my muscular problems and movement disorders. You can find out more about the condition at these links:

Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Dear Tamar, thank you for sharing your hard-earned lessons with us. It is so amazing the way that God can turn something so distressing into something beautiful.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 04:46AM CDT
Comment by Cyn of Atlanta, GA

What a powerful devotion. Most of us want an immediate response from God. Four years is a long time and certainly teaches us patience . For you to be able to see the blessings in learning to wait is quite extraordinary and I appreciate your sharing those with us. It should help many of us to have patience and strength as we wait on God.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 05:43AM CDT
Comment by Judy of Hershey, PA

Beautifully written meditations for today, Tamar. Thank you for sharing your journey and the lessons it has taught you. "God is more interested in my transformation than my comfort" has given me something new to absorb and think about. I can see how that has been so true for my own walk in life. Your advice to "ask for help" and to "include those who love me in my struggle" also spoke to me because I often tend to keep things to myself. Your writings for today have given me a blessing and I hope you keep sharing your insights and writings with others. You have been given a gift by God.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 05:53AM CDT

Tamar, thanks for your insight, I need to keep your lesson #1 in mind with all the things that have happened to this family and are happening right now. Somehow someway God has a plan and will carry us all through it. God is Love for All!!!

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:14AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Thank you for sharing your story, Tamar. It reminded me of the thorn in Peter's side to remind him that he alone cannot manage. It is from God where we get our strength to endure and go forward to live our lives as God would have us do. God bless you. ~ Kathy in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:28AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Tamar, thank you for this beautifully written devotional. You said you don't consider yourself to be a writer, but I think you are! Along with other points such as God being more interested in transformation than comfort, I'm going to remember "Just as I kept my condition mostly private, I know that many people around me are walking through difficult times even as they appear โ€œokay.โ€ I am now more sensitive to the struggles of others..." I will pray for strength and courage as you continue your walk with God.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:37AM CDT
Comment by BJ

Tamar, thank you for blessing us with your story and the lessons revealed to you. I really needed to hear them today. Beautiful photo of you. You radiate God's peace. May the Lord continue to bless you with improved health and help others through the information you shared.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by D

This is a very powerful story and testimony about your experience and the lessons you are sharing. Thank you so much for sharing your story. In thanksgiving with you for God's healing, and in prayer with you for all the people God will help and heal through your words. God's blessings to you.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:40AM CDT

Tamar, all praises and glory to our God for bringing you healing for this condition. Sometimes we feel we are bugging people with our requests for prayers and so keep things to ourselves. I do requests prayers sometimes for friends and family and myself, but I have had a persistent cough for over 5years, seen many doctors to no avail, people around me know of this condition, but I have never asked anyone to pray on my behalf to get to the bottom of this. I am going to start asking from now on. Thank you for the encouragement, I pray you will continue to feel better. Thank you Father God. Amen. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:54AM CDT
Comment by Rudy of Chicago, IL

Thank you Tamar for your powerful witness. My wife was diagnosed in August of kidney cancer which had moved to her lymph nodes, and passed Christmas Eve. I thought I was healthy, but knee replacement for both legs have left me struggling. Thanks for sharing your experiences. They have given me a new direction.
Rudy

Posted August 10, 2017 at 08:10AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

Tamar, thank you so much for sharing so beautifully the wisdom you have gained through this experience. You are such an encouragement for so many!

Posted August 10, 2017 at 09:55AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Wow Tamar, makes me proud of being a fellow Georgian. Devotional full of wisdom and insight. Your "lessons" presented with concise clarity. First sentence of each point, easy to remember, and says it all. We hope to hear more from you! Richard, Marietta, GA.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 10:32AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Thank you Tamar for your devotional. PTL for healing, praying you continue.
This devotional really hit home for me, my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's 2 years ago, similar physical problems and meds. He is not getting better, and watching him decline is heartbreaking.
You are such a encouragement, please keep us posted.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 11:21AM CDT
Comment by Sara

Thank you for your devotion Tamar. SO true - make room for God to do his work in our lives! My very life is a true testament to His love. Over time I have been presented new challenges that require God's healing powers and wisdom, but my patience for "fixing" these challenges seems to get shorter. I need to just STOP, praise Him for all He he has done and still does for me, and allow Him to show His resolution(s) in His time. All 4 of your lessons learned hit home for me. Thank you! (My brother, a Georgian, probably smiled as he read your devotional this morning.).

Posted August 10, 2017 at 12:10PM CDT
Comment by carol of Bellingham , WA

As someone dealing with an undiagnosed health issue I sooooo appreciate today's devotion. When in one of my episodes I'm obsessively trying to figure out what's wrong with me and why the Drs. can't figure it out...which doesn't help at all. So you see how your devotion spoke volumes to me as I'm in an episode now. Even more I feel God speaking to me through you. God bless you. xo

Posted August 10, 2017 at 01:19PM CDT