More from Jim Forayter

by Upper Room Editorial on Friday, August 11, 2017

In the two years since I wrote today's devotional, life hasn't been to kind to me.

My wife left me for a while and, after much angst on my part, she decided to return. She has bipolar disorder and has her ups and downs, as indeed we all do.

My PTSD put me in hospital a couple of times and is still giving me grief. I didn't know it would come in layers. Two of those layers have been dealt with, the last is still a work in progress. It is proving to be a spiritual battle against the forces of the evil one. My mental health worker is a Christian, and I believe we will both learn from my battle against the evil forces that were cast upon us during my time in Vietnam. I believe that all will be dealt with, as God and professionals help me. My coming to Hervey Bay in Queensland, Australia was God sending me here. I wasn't coming here to start with, but much has been dealt with while here.

I am learning from this. When you become a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, you realize you don't actually own anything here on Earth. You may be a steward of some things in order to pass them on to others. Other things wear out, including our bodies, which I have learned we don't own either. Our life belongs in the hands of God and all will come good (Rom. 8:28), as the Apostle Paul wrote, whether I stay here or go to be with the Lord (Phillipians 1:21-25).

In spite of all this, those rainbows still come into the kitchen and office. God is with me and will guide me through the narrow door. I am his and he will never let me out of his hand.

God bless you all.

- Jim Forayter

Jim...Praying healing mercies for you and your wife.
Blessings.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 10:35PM CDT
Comment by Daisy of Oak Harbor, WA

Hang in there, Jim. Be strong in the midst of life's challenges. May you find peace, love, and strength in Christ Jesus in your daily walk with him. Prayer for your wife as well. God bless.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 02:14AM CDT
Comment by Tom of Canal Winchester, OH

Dear Jim, I was taken by your stating that you saw rainbows around your house from the reflecting little glass balls. Really? Rainbows in the land downunder? Of course I realize there would be, but it brought to mind that all over this grand world God created His handiwork is being displayed for all to see. Praying for you dear brother, that you will continue your journey in the confidence that you are never without His love and care.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 03:08AM CDT
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

God we pray that you bless and strengthen this married couple who are struggling with many issues of life....

Posted August 11, 2017 at 03:23AM CDT

Jim, brother welcome home. I was in Vietnam eight time serving in the U.S. Navy for a total 3yrs 10 months each time I came in on a ship I was taken off to drive boats to supply different groups of troops with food and ammunition. Didn't pick up PTSD but found a few other minor illnesses like asthma and some memories I would like to forget. Brother in arms I feel for you my son has a father-in-law who is 100% PTSD and I see what it does to him. Love you and I am praying for you and yours. God is Love for All!!!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 05:20AM CDT
Comment by Cyn of Atlanta, GA

What a great testimony. Thank you for sharing. Many have mental illnesses that are hard to understand, but faith is critical for getting through. Your faith is serving you well and is and example for all. You will remain in my prayers.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 05:45AM CDT
Comment by Ann of Columbia, SC

Jim, peace be with you

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:00AM CDT
Comment by BJ

Jim, thank you for sharing your story. I echo Cyn's comments. May God bring you peace and healing as you faithfully stand on His promises.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:03AM CDT
Comment by Paulette of Miami, OK

Jim, thank you for sharing with us. Prayers for you and your wife. Prayers for peace and that life will be better. Prayers God blesses you.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:18AM CDT
Comment by CARMEN of Longwood, FL

OH PRAISE THE LORD!!! HOLY HOLY HOLY IS OUR KING AND SAVIOR. HALLELUJAH AMEN.
 Beautiful, dear Jim. GOOD FOR YOU!
 Open your arms, receive a heartfelt hug from this PuertoRican old lady. Love and blessings:
Carmen. From Aguas Buenas, PR

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:19AM CDT

Jim, my heart goes out to you as you face the many struggles with PTSD. I pray you will find healing! Love to you, brother!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:38AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Jim, thank you. I will especially remember the thought for the day. Rainbows=God's promise. Amen.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:43AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Jim, may you find comfort and strength knowing God is always there for you. ~ Kathy in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:49AM CDT
Comment by Matt

- Jim Forayter, praying for you & others (me too) dealing with mental struggles. Our minds are amazing but at times we find it very hard to govern and constrain our thoughts, sometimes without apparent reasons affecting us. Our God is amazing & faithful beyond our imagination, prayers for peaceful thought

Posted August 11, 2017 at 06:51AM CDT
Comment by Jay of Clearwater, FL

Jim,
The trauma is over. Look forward with Hope. You have been forgiven ! The Love of Christ sustain you and bring you His Peace.
Jay...Florida, looking forward

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:00AM CDT
Comment by Chip of Millersville, MD

Jim, Prayers for you and your wife as you go through your struggles. Two thoughts. As the song says in "Through the fire" know that you are not going through the fire alone. He is always with you. (Look at the prayers from your UR Family. We are with you as well. Two, the scripture selected for your writing two years ago says it all: "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." Have faith and have hope and know that you WILL get through this fire.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:01AM CDT
Comment by Marsha of Bangs, TX

Peace be with you Jim.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:08AM CDT
Comment by Sharon of Guntersville, AL

Thank you, Jim, for your honest & open witness to how God is working in your life! May you know God's peace as you & your wife move forward together in His love!! Blessings & Prayers

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:29AM CDT
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

God is so good. I have been planning my Sunday school lesson yesterday and it's called, God keeps his promises." It's all about Gods promises to Abram. I have been struggling with doubt so I knew it was God speaking to me. And today it shows up in today's Upper Room. God is good. God bless you as you recover from your struggles. I pray that your marriage will be strengthed. In Jesus name.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:36AM CDT
Comment by Carol of Wheeler, TX

Peace & blessings & comfort of the Holy Spirit be upon you & your wife! Thank you for sharing! I appreciate your honesty & openess so very much.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:40AM CDT
Comment by Joyce of Fayetteville, NC

Jim, Thank you for sharing. We pray God's strength and peace in your life.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 07:59AM CDT
Comment by Rudy of Chicago, IL

Jim, GOD will never let you down! May the GOOD Lord keep you!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 08:03AM CDT
Comment by Laura

Jim - Thank you so much for extending your story to us, and trusting us to read it, and receive it! Continued blessings, and love to you this day, and the days to come! Thank you for your service, both in Vietnam, and here, and in your days as a Christian! God will make it good!!!
Continued blessings, and love!!!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 08:14AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

God bless you, Jim, and thank you for your encouraging words and your example of the kind of faith God likes us to have. I pray for further healing for you, my brother.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 09:20AM CDT
Comment by Brian of Amarillo, TX

Jim, thank you for allowing us to share in your struggles and the victories. Lifting you and your wife in prayer as you faithfully walk with the Lord. Grace and peace brother.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 09:20AM CDT
Comment by Tamar

Peace be with you.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 09:22AM CDT
Comment by Amy of Panama City, FL

Praying for you.

Posted August 11, 2017 at 10:23AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Thank you, Jim, for your honest, transparent thoughts, a real blessing for all who read. We are all in this together and know how things will turn out. GOD has told us so!
In CHRIST,
Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted August 11, 2017 at 10:30AM CDT
Comment by Richard

In CHRIST,
Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted August 11, 2017 at 10:30AM CDT
Comment by Bridget of Grapevine, TX

Jim, I am touched by the responses to your post today. You were very genuine and honest about what you have been facing. It was very relatable and I pray for God to give you comfort and peace, that only He can give. Brighter days are ahead! God Bless you!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 03:17PM CDT
Comment by Nancy of Chicago, IL

Thank you for this, Jim, and for being open about the struggles you and your wife face. Bless you.

Posted August 13, 2017 at 02:34PM CDT