More from Jane Compton

by Upper Room Administrator on Saturday, August 12, 2017

My bike trip in Europe was the highlight of my cycling adventures, but the confidence to go on that adventure was earned the hard way! Riding into a bush the day my bike’s training wheels were removed, ruining a brand new pair of glittery knit pants on my sixth birthday due to pedaling too fast and crashing, and being bitten by a dog as I rode with my feet on the handlebars didn’t keep me off my bicycle.

Looking back, one memory that stands out is the day I rode my bike to the pet store to buy a goldfish. As a ten year-old, I felt grown-up and confident that I could do this on my own. After purchasing the cutest goldfish in the tank, I held the carton’s flimsy handle in one hand and steered my bike with the other. I rode through the mostly empty parking lot, responsibly keeping my eyes on the carton to be sure the water wasn’t splashing out. No need to stress my new fish-friend! I had handled the purchase well, and was on my way home.

However, within minutes, I ended up on the ground, having crashed into the one pole in the entire parking lot. Lying there, the only thing I cared about was the fish out of water! The carton was opened and the tiny fish flopped around on the cement. I scrambled to the rescue and quickly returned him to the bit of water remaining in the carton. Jumping on my bike and ignoring my bloody knee and elbow, I raced home to get my new pet in water. We both survived!

Growing out of the crashing phase of my life, I learned to ride a unicycle and loved time spent on a tandem bike with a friend, singing at the top of our lungs. Whether it was a ‘bicycle built for two’ or riding on my own, I’m grateful the mishaps didn’t stop me. Bicycling adventures have been a fun part of my life.

Jane Compton

Jane...Thanks for sharing your bike adventures with us.
Way to go!

Posted August 11, 2017 at 09:09PM CDT
Comment by Patty of Toms river, NJ

What wonderful and fun bike adventure memories! Thank you for sharing your great story of perseverance.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 03:29AM CDT
Comment by Judy of Hershey, PA

In your meditation today you wrote, "God is my strength and provider." I like your reminder that He is always there as our traveling companion on this journey of life. And it was fun to read your second writing and hear about all your different experiences on bikes. The goldfish story was so cute! Thank you for writing these for us to read and help us grow in faith and joy.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 04:52AM CDT

Loved your reminiscing it takes me back to those younger years of my cycling experiences, thanks. God is Love for All!!!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 05:40AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Dear Jane, I'm so glad that you survived all of it!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 05:51AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Jane, thanks, brings back my own wonderful bicycle memories. PTL

Posted August 12, 2017 at 06:03AM CDT
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

Way to go girl...never give up at any costs. God Bless thee we pray...

Posted August 12, 2017 at 06:32AM CDT
Comment by Victoria of San Antonio , TX

I love your stories! Most importantly your faith and perseverance. Thank you for sharing!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 06:34AM CDT

Jane, great pic in the newspaper! I have never been a good bike rider but I love to walk. I enjoyed the story of you and the little goldfish! Love to you, sister!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 06:42AM CDT
Comment by Cathy of Arlington, VA

What a delightful thought that the Lord is always watching and waiting to encourage us onward.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 06:57AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Thank you, Jane. There are so many levels here. I see you as an adventuresome, determined, caring (especially with your goldfish), insightful child of God. Blessings to you.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 07:40AM CDT
Comment by Paulette of Miami, OK

Jane, thank you for sharing this wonderful story, and your today's devotional. I love riding a bike when I get the opportunity. So glad the goldfish survived!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 08:38AM CDT
Comment by Jane of Salem, OR

I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. It sounds like many of you have your own bicycling memories and applications. I'm sure that your stories would fascinate me. By the way, that photo is 45 years old. I barely recognize myself. Thank you for blessing me with your comments.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 11:36AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Jane, Thanks. Great Devotional, "More," and Pic! Inspirational, provides encouragement to hit "reset button". May GOD Bless You and Yours, Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted August 12, 2017 at 12:12PM CDT
Comment by Kelley

Thanks for sharing your memories, Jane and the faith lessons they taught you.

Posted August 12, 2017 at 01:15PM CDT
Comment by Sharon of Fresno, CA

Jane thank you for sharing, for me this was so encouraging and they way you never gave up even when the odds seem so far. Such great perseverance in Gods strength. It is when we're weak we are the strongest in Gods power!!!! Your testimony gives me encouragement that I too can go far with Gods Grace!!!:)

Posted August 12, 2017 at 01:16PM CDT
Comment by Kathy

I loved your bicycle stories, Jane. As a child you were determined and caring. I think of the old saying, when we are afraid to do something we haven't done for a long time, "it's just like riding a bike". My dad used to tell me, when something went wrong, to get "right back on the bicycle" and try again. Those words of encouragement taught me not to give up. With God by our side we can do it! :-)

Posted August 12, 2017 at 02:25PM CDT
Comment by Firefox customer of New York City, TX

My Bike riding the adventure with them makes an important aspect to take place while riding it.

<a href= http://firefoxsupport.com/fix-firefox-not-responding-problem/ "> Firefox Customer Support Number</a>

Posted August 16, 2017 at 01:16AM CDT