More from Sharon Capron

by Upper Room Editorial on Wednesday, August 09, 2017

I have been a goal-setter all my life. As a ten-year-old, I made learning how to ride a bicycle and how to crochet my two goals to be accomplished by the end of summer. Both interests continue to be significant in my life. Many of my goals have been met and forgotten; a few others never completed. The discipline of setting a goal, working out a plan, and celebrating success has enriched my life immeasurably.

At 17, I experienced an unmistakable call to ministry, but my parents were adamantly opposed to such a future. Father said I could go to the state college or stay at home and wait tables. Mother said I could study to be a teacher, a nurse, or a secretary—the only occupations she considered appropriate for a woman. At the time, the legal age of adulthood was 21. That night I cried and prayed to God. In the fall, I entered the state university, eventually became a teacher, married, and raised a family.

The spring our youngest graduated from college, my husband and I attended the Oklahoma United Methodist Annual Conference. There, as we viewed the divinity schools’ displays, my heart grieved deeply once again. I knew I had missed my calling, and I thought I was too old to go back to school. Even if I was successful in graduate school, I would receive my first social security check before I could be ordained! My husband’s instant response was, “And how old will you be if you do not go back to school?” That day, I revived and revised my old goal. I was determined to finish the several-years-long path to ordination in time to serve a full decade in the Lord’s work before reaching the obligatory retirement age of 72. Within the next week, I began the process, enrolled in seminary the following spring, and was ordained a United Methodist deacon in 2008.

My work as a deacon is everything I ever hoped it to be. I preach at the prison twice a month and facilitate a weekly sign language class there. Last May, I rode my bicycle a hundred miles in one day to raise funds for a new prison chapel, and our church collected well over our goal of $5000. I visit homebound folks every week and enjoy many mutually delightful and meaningful conversations. I lead the children in worship and teach them sign language at our midweek program during the school year and am refreshed by their youth, energy, and faith. I know I served God when I was a teacher, but what joy it has been these last few years to serve as the Lord intended. Life has never been so good. I thank God for the wonderful husband given me, the joy of a second chance, and the health to take it.

Next May at Annual Conference, I will be 72 and retiring, having completed exactly ten years of full time service. While my formal retirement will meet the church’s requirements, my ordained deacon status remains, and I am at liberty, as I am willing and able, to continue the same work. Of course, I still regularly ride my bicycle and crochet afghans for my grandchildren and their babies! It is never too late to change the course of your life and serve as called. We serve an awesome God.

- Sharon Capron

Congratulations on all your accomplishments you have achieved in your life. God has been great to you Pastor. God is Love for All!!!

Posted August 08, 2017 at 07:38PM CDT
Comment by Patty of Toms river, NJ

Thank you for sharing your inspiring message. You are blessed and a blessing to many others.

Posted August 09, 2017 at 02:19AM CDT
Comment by Patty of Toms river, NJ

Your shawl is beautiful too!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 02:20AM CDT
Comment by deb of Columbus, OH

I have never commented before, but you have given me just what I needed to hear at this time in my life! Thank you!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 02:48AM CDT
Comment by Tom of Canal Winchester, OH

an enriched life you've had Sharon, because you have given God's call the willingness to follow He has blessed you by providing the exact motivation when it was your time to fulfill His call.

Posted August 09, 2017 at 03:04AM CDT
Comment by guada

You are such an inspiration Mrs. Capron!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful shawl and your wonderful story. What a blessing!! Congratulations in all you have done.

Posted August 09, 2017 at 04:48AM CDT
Comment by sally of emerald iske, NC

Thank you Sharon for your inspiration! It is never too late! Wonderful story and beautiful shawl!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 05:02AM CDT
Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

This is just what I needed this morning. Thank you!!!! Beautiful shawl๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted August 09, 2017 at 05:55AM CDT
Comment by Mark of Tarrytown, NY

A true servant of Christ. God be with you. (And the shawl is lovely.)

Posted August 09, 2017 at 06:02AM CDT
Comment by Peggy of Atlanta, GA

Sharon, Truly an inspiring story for me - a senior citizen who is getting back into the corporate world today. Starting a new part-time consulting position at an outplacement firm - helping people transition from working - being laid off - and landing a new job. I had an incredible career in corporate America that took me all over the world - retired several years ago and just need to get back engaged with people in a business environment. I realize that "my ministry" is still in the business world and am grateful that God is still using me at the age of 68. Your story was a reminder that it is never too late!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 06:12AM CDT
Comment by Karen of Jackson, MS

Wonderful story Sharon. So happy for you and all that you've accomplished. I guess I'm still waiting for my calling. Be Blessed!๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

Posted August 09, 2017 at 06:21AM CDT
Comment by Elmer of Raleigh, NC

Sharon Capron,
I did like your story about the Shawl crochet pattern.
I would like though to comment on the fact that you teach classes in ASL(?) for children, prisoners and sign hymns at your church. Have you found many inmates that are hearing impaired? I would like your reply if possible at elmer.shertzer@gmail.com
THANKS!
I once took a ASL class at a local Technical School near where I live.

Posted August 09, 2017 at 06:37AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Wow. Wow. Wow!!! Sharon Capron, you are an awesome servant who serves an awesome God!!! You are amazing. Bless you and all the lives you touch. xo ~ Kathy in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario

Posted August 09, 2017 at 06:45AM CDT
Comment by Mary of S. Chesterfield, VA

Thank You, Sharon, for a truly inspirational testimony! Continue to walk in the GOD'S abundant blessings. ๐Ÿ˜Š Mary

Posted August 09, 2017 at 07:05AM CDT

Dear Rev. Sharon, what an I inspired testimony and thank God for a very encouraging husband. May the Lord bless you both even as you approach your retiring age. I am feeling so happy reading this. Thank you so much. Blessed bless.๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted August 09, 2017 at 07:28AM CDT
Comment by Rudy of Chicago, IL

Dearest Sharon, You're experiences are truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing! The shawl is beautiful!
Rudy

Posted August 09, 2017 at 07:39AM CDT
Comment by Budzanani

Sharon, Thank you for your inspirational message. It's never too late, your words are really encouraging, may God richly bless you.
Budzanani, Francistown, Botswana

Posted August 09, 2017 at 09:26AM CDT
Comment by Valerie of Johns Creek , GA

What a wonderful and inspirational story and message. Thank you so much for sharing.
Valerie Lesniak Atlanta, GA

Posted August 09, 2017 at 10:07AM CDT
Comment by sandy of HSV, AR

Love the story, your will power, and the way that you listened to God's calling.

I have that similar pattern in a knit project, but unlike you, I came to a bump and abandoned it until I can get some assistance.

Thanks for the lovely sharing.

Posted August 09, 2017 at 10:18AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Thank you, Deacon Sharon, today's devotional is a keeper, perfect continuation of my scripture reading today, both Old and New Testament....how did that happen ? ;) You are a blessing!
Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted August 09, 2017 at 10:24AM CDT
Comment by Columba of BEN LOMOND, CA

Wow! I love your story, Sharon. I too feel that my life took a wrong turn, and I've been wondering about the way forward. I know how I want to make a difference as my kids prepare to leave home, but it is a new path to me. Thank you for your encouraging example!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 10:30AM CDT
Comment by Kelley

Hi Sharon, I was just going to comment on your beautiful shawl and how much I admire the talents of people who can create such masterpieces. But after reading what you've written here I also have to add how inspiring I find these words. At 54 I have a job that I love but I am contemplating the value of pursuing a certification which may, or may not, eventually lead to advancement in the near future. Thank you for sharing your story!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 11:11AM CDT
Comment by Dan

This is the first time I have commented on an Upper Room Devotional. Sharon you are a true inspiration. Congratulations on pursuing your dream!

Posted August 09, 2017 at 12:21PM CDT
Comment by Dawn

this is my first time commenting also. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't know if anyone has commented on a prayer shawl ministry, praying while knitting/crocheting to Father Son & Holy Spirit for the person who will receive it--whatever their need may be, spiritual, physical, emotional, financial. I run one at my church. Your shawl is beautiful. thank you for tying in the story with discernment

Posted August 09, 2017 at 01:14PM CDT
Comment by Nancy of Chicago, IL

To echo so many of the comments above, this is also my first time commenting, and your story is also what I needed today as I continue to deal with meeting deadlines for wonderful upcoming opportunities but also with anxiety, fear, and a lack of confidence. What a wonderful message, so inspiring and encouraging. Thank you thank you! I also appreciate your acknowledgment of your husband's support; how blessed you both are.

Posted August 10, 2017 at 12:26PM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Thank you so much for your awe-inspiring testimony. This is one of those messages I want to post on my refrigerator. God's blessings!

Posted August 10, 2017 at 06:51PM CDT
Comment by Patsy of Wewoka, OK

Sharon a awesome devotional and a beautiful shawl!
Praying you are still involved in Kairos! I still do Kairos Outside but not as much since I moved!
That has been God's calling for me!
Blessing to you and yours. Patsy Grove Law

Posted August 11, 2017 at 11:51AM CDT
Comment by Rene of Moreno Valley, CA

Wow! God bless you Sharon!

Posted August 12, 2017 at 09:39AM CDT
Comment by Leah of Hacienda Heights, CA

Dear Rev. Sharon. Thank you very much for your devotion. What a timely and inspiring story!!! I too have had the calling and desire to become a deacon & missionary. However, I have put it "on hold" for various detours in life. I am a teacher and know that it too is a ministry. Yet I find myself continously returning to my desire to pursue seminary and become a deacon and missionary. Reading your story has given me the nudge to confidently take the steps to do so (will be attending a Candidacy Summit this coming Saturday). If you have the time, I would love to ask you a few questions regarding your transition. My contact is Ldcruz35@hotmail.com. Thank you and God Bless you, your family, and your ministry!

Posted August 14, 2017 at 02:07AM CDT