More from Amy Sutikdja

by Upper Room Editorial on Thursday, July 06, 2017

Working on a kitchen staff is not my dream job. Firstly, I don’t like kitchen stuff and secondly, I wasn’t trained for it. But 20 years ago when I received Jesus and joined a Bible class, my mentor told me we had to work as if we were working for God and not for humans and do our work (no matter how insignificant it seems) for the glory of God's name (Colossians 3:23). I remember this verse well, and today I do my job whole-heartedly.

But sometimes I still grow tired. I hate scrubbing floors. I hate tidying up. The piles of dishes in the scullery distress me. We make a big mess in the kitchen during the peak hours of serving. One day I was tempted to just leave it alone, but then I was reminded of the consequences. This inspired me to write something, so as soon as I got home I jotted my thoughts down. Later I refined my writing and sent it to The Upper Room. It is as though God had wanted to remind me of something through my job.

- Amy Sutikdja

Pictured above: Amy and two of her co-workers, from left: Oxana, Amy, Andrea.

Thank you Amy for your inspiring devotional and more from the author.
Although I did research work the principals are the same if you don't keep scrupulous notes, your lab. bench clean and ordered and also your samples labelled and ordered it affects your work and its outcome. I also used to remind myself to work for God and not for man and to do my work for the glory of God's name.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted July 06, 2017 at 01:53AM CDT
Comment by Tom of Canal Winchester, OH

Blessings on you Amy, for following through on the nudging you had to write your devotion. When we follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit our efforts bear fruit. I'm always pleased to read devotions from other sisters and brothers from around the world. It simply evidences that we are all one family.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 03:33AM CDT
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

Very nice devotional Amy. As a teacher, I too sometimes feel like taking short cuts in my job because I'm overwhelmed and tired of the routine. But thankfully we work for our Father God who has put us in our jobs and that reminder is enough to motivate me to do my best. Thanks again for writing and God Bless.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 05:09AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Plymouth, MN

Dear Any,
How exciting that God took an unpleasant moment in your life and turned it into a lesson for so many of us all around the world!
This truly was a work done for the Lord. God bless you.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 06:28AM CDT
Comment by Estelle of Baton Rouge, LA

Hello Amy & Oxana & Andrea: Thank you Amy for your reading this a.m. I too work in the food industry. We serve well over nine hundred-a thousand students lunch. Breakfast & dinner meal are lighter numbers. Nonetheless, keeping the dining area clean and stocked is a huge undertaking. But thank God we do it as you mentioned to the Glory Of God. All of you are on my prayer list as well as the people of your country. Love & Prayers, Estelle in Louisiana/USA

Posted July 06, 2017 at 07:50AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Thank you, Amy, for a thought-filled, spirit-filled devotional. God bless you today and always.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 08:02AM CDT
Comment by Martha

God's work truly is done by our hands. Amy, you are such a blessing to all who come to your restaurant to eat, and you're also a wonderful example to those of us who are too far away to visit. Thank you for all you do.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 08:09AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

Thank you, Amy, for this inspiring message, and even more so, for your inspiring attitude toward the work you do. This is truly the attitude God would have us to have when faced with difficult work we would often rather not do—which is a predicament that affects all of us here on this earth, in one way or another. :-)

Posted July 06, 2017 at 10:19AM CDT
Comment by Daisy of Oak Harbor, WA

Hi Amy~ Thank you for sharing your thoughts and devotional. Even the most mundane and tedious tasks is important for the completion of the job especially when you work because the people you work with make doing your job enjoyable. It is when you feel unappreciated that the job becomes insignificant so as long as we do our best, we do it for the Lord.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 10:26AM CDT
Comment by JJ

Amy - thank you for your reminder. The work you do is important in providing food and nourishment to others. It was honored in the story of the loaves and fishes (Matthew 14) where the disciples gave the food to the crowds, and then picked up what was left over of the broken pieces.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 10:48AM CDT
Comment by Sheldon of Acworth, GA

Amy!
Thanks so much for your excellent devotional and congratulations on your incredible diligence "working as for God"! Looking forward to meeting you in Heaven on the streets of gold!

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Posted July 06, 2017 at 11:26AM CDT
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

Gruss Gott, Amy! Ich habe auch mal in Deutschland gewohnt. Thanks for sharing. I try to volunteer in the kitchen at church sometimes as a spiritual exercise. I wonder why Germany, where few (10%) attend church any more, has been willing to accept so many Syrian refugees while the US, where many more attend, has accepted only small numbers and elected a president who don't want to take any.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 11:28AM CDT
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

Amy, God Bless you my sister in Christ. As I read your devotional, I am reminded to always thank God for any and all work and rewards regardless of how menial or how degrading it may seem. May God continue to bless you with a great attitude and understanding and peace for you and your family.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 11:50AM CDT
Comment by sandy of HSV, AR

I love this devotional! It's to the point and makes so much sense.

Thank you for sharing, Amy!

Love and blessings to you and your family, and keep on writing!

Posted July 06, 2017 at 11:56AM CDT
Comment by Jennifer of Oregon, OH

Great words for us to be constantly reminded of. Life changes all the time and we never know when we will be called home. I am so glad you wrote what you did.

Posted July 06, 2017 at 08:26PM CDT
Comment by James of Fayetteville, GA

Rich of Silver Spring, MD. Please read: Romans 1:28-32 and 2Timothy 3:1-7. It is the sign of the times in which we live. Pray for a national repentance and keep your lamps lit and your bottles full of oil.

Posted July 07, 2017 at 06:10AM CDT
Comment by Glenda of Natchitoches, LA

So inspirational, glory be to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thanks Amy for sharing and reminding us to be ready, be prepared for the coming of the Lord. The word of God says not even the angels in heaven do not know this day. However we MUST be ready. Amy may God bless you, your family, and your work family.

Posted July 10, 2017 at 06:00PM CDT