More from Rebecca Martino

by Upper Room Editorial on Friday, July 28, 2017

I am a city girl who has finally achieved her dream of living in the country! I have always loved animals, but never thought birds would be a part of that love. I got chickens and guineas for the eggs and because they eat ticks, and have been surprised at how attached I have become to them. Their antics are a constant source of amusement. Since moving to the farm, I have found new ways to see God. Not a day goes by that I don't see, hear, smell, taste, touch, and experience a new aspect of God's love. My husband and I have tried to create a place of peace, where people can come to find God in new ways. We feel so blessed to live here.

This is a picture is of the silly guineas, doing what they do best, exploring and eating ticks!

- Rebecca Martino

Comment by Elaine of Brookville, IN

I too feel blessed to live on a small farm and feel close to God there. I have been called away this summer to visit family and am anxious to return home. We have had sheep in the past and also thought they were pretty stupid animals and perhaps that is why humans are compared to them so often in the Bible. Enjoy your guineas and may God bless!

Posted July 28, 2017 at 12:54AM CDT
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

God Bless you Rebecca for sharing your wonderful story about your Guinea Fowl. We are like the Guinea Fowl in your story always running around seeking and grabbing and forever searching and can only find peace and understanding in the arms of God....He provides all sustenance to us whether it be spiritial or physical...He is the farmer and we are the Guinea Fowl.

Posted July 28, 2017 at 05:42AM CDT
Comment by Ann of Columbia, SC

Rebecca, we called them Guinea hens where I grew up in Georgia. When I was a child, my dad would take my sister and me to a small farm- like zoo or and let us chase the Guinea hens. A fond memory. I think he was trying to give my mom a break from the kids and to get us tired. P.S. We never caught any!

Posted July 28, 2017 at 06:09AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Dear Rebecca, thank you for your amusing but touching message today. I can tell you are a very loving person by the way you describe your guineas. I have never heard of them here in Canada. We are a good comparison to your little friends, running here and there, "hitting a wall" when we try to fix things ourselves. Many times we end up somewhere and wonder how we got there and forget how to get back. If we could only remember God loves us and if we turn to Him we will see our way clear. Bless you, Rebecca, for your love of animals and your kind and tender care of them. ~ Kathy in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario

Posted July 28, 2017 at 06:42AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Rebecca, Kathy thanked you for your amusing but touching message. I couldn't agree more with that description. Very insightful. God be with you.

Posted July 28, 2017 at 06:51AM CDT
Comment by Karippelil (K.E) of Gonzales, LA

Rebecca, Thank you for your analogy to beautiful but 'stupid' birds and how we humans are just like them in God's sight. Can we expect more write ups like this from you?

Posted July 28, 2017 at 06:53AM CDT
Comment by Susan

Thank you Rebecca for the devotional today. Using the guineas to illustrate the fact that God loves us despite the stupid things we do in life is so on point! It also brought back sweet memories of childhood on my grandparents' farm in Florida and those crazy guinea hens!! Thank you again for making my day! God bless! --Susan, Tallahassee, FL

Posted July 28, 2017 at 07:25AM CDT

Thank you Rebecca for reminding me of all the guineas my mom raised back in Arkansas. Yes, they were a better watchdog than our lazy hounds! Haha! Love to you, sister! I know I probably seem like a little guinea hen at times!

Posted July 28, 2017 at 07:47AM CDT

God created everything for a purpose, even though the Guinea hens are the brightest rock in the box the serve several purposes just as all of us do for God. God bless you and your family Rebecca. God is Love for All!!!

Posted July 28, 2017 at 08:05AM CDT
Comment by janet of WPB, FL

Rebecca, what a lovely and very relatable post. It reminded me of what's important today. I've had the opportunity to live on some land and have animals and it was just as you say. The scripture was another wonderful reminder of all the good people in this world that live their lives with love. That is how I want to be yet I, too, sometimes find myself hung in the fence upside down! Blessings to you and your husband and too all that join this group today.

Posted July 28, 2017 at 08:20AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

Rebecca, thank you for sharing in such a beautiful way this perfect example of the reality of God's love. Your farm sounds like a lovely place to be.

Posted July 28, 2017 at 08:27AM CDT
Comment by Vanessa of Columbus, GA

I simply loved your devotion today, it made me smile and think...so true! Blessings to everyone!

Posted July 28, 2017 at 09:34AM CDT
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

All Things Bright and Beautiful
The United Methodist Hymnal Number 147
Refrain:
All things bright and beautiful,
all creatures great and small,
all things wise and wonderful:
the Lord God made them all.
1. Each little flower that opens,
each little BIRD that sings,
God made their glowing colors,
and made their tiny wings.
(Refrain)
4. God gave us eyes to see them,
and lips that we might tell
how great is God Almighty,
who has made all things WELL.
(Refrain)
(Caps mine)

Posted July 28, 2017 at 10:11AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Beautiful, wonderful, simple analogy, will stay with me awhile. Looking forward to your next devotional. Both of my grandparents had giunea hens - fond, fond memories. Thanks!
Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted July 28, 2017 at 04:53PM CDT
Comment by Martyn of Placentia, CA

Thank you, Rebecca, for your wonderful message! I chuckled out loud at your analogy and it is so apt! I sure hope to read more messages from you in The Upper Room. I miss living in Tennessee and I miss my grandmother's farm and my aunt's farm, although they had no guineas. God Bless You.
Marty Haynes, CA

Posted July 28, 2017 at 07:28PM CDT
Comment by Jennifer of Oregon, OH

Beautiful devotion. I am so glad you found your country life with animals. I marvel at their ways and am always grateful for all God has made.

Posted July 28, 2017 at 09:45PM CDT