More from Patricia Marks

by Upper Room Editorial on Monday, July 10, 2017

As I was starting to write this blog, our Internet service went out. Completely. My husband spent over an hour on the phone with the company, while I wandered around grumpily, thinking of emails unanswered and blogs not written.

So I treated myself to a mug of creamy, hot coffee and sat down at my kitchen table. And then it hit me. Here I was, with plenty to eat, a comfortable house, and a spouse to take care of all the things I don’t like to do—like deal with technicians—and all I could do was complain! Suppose, I thought, something else besides the Internet had failed. Suppose a tree had fallen on my roof, or one of us had suddenly become desperately ill.

I thought of Paul’s beautiful letter about love: "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (1 Corinthians 13:4-7, NRSV).

Best of all, as Paul says, “Love never ends” (1 Corinthians 13:8). Love knows no bounds. Love is larger than who we are or what we do, larger than where or how we worship. If someone hurts, or is hungry, or is in need, love reaches out without asking.

Love, thank God Almighty, never fails. That is why we gathered from all corners of the town to help restore a church that was damaged. Strangers and friends, working together, creating a space that was beautiful because of the love that was poured into it.

Oh—and a technician finally came and replaced our modem and some wiring. Then I got back online and wrote this blog!

- Patricia Marks

Thanks for more from the author. I am like you Patricia always worrying about an important things when I have a wonderful husband and home and don't take enough time each day to thank God for his love.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted July 10, 2017 at 01:03AM CDT
Comment by CARMEN of Longwood, FL

Praise the Lord.
Thank you God and Patricia. I don't have a husband (have been a widow for 27 years) , I'm 75 and in charge of my 86 yrs sister Graciela. Yet, my Dear God has never forsaken me, Oh. Thank you Papa. Thanks Patricia, God has spoken to me through you, blessings to you and your loved ones, dear sister. OH , GOD IS AWESOME!!! YES. AMEN

Posted July 10, 2017 at 04:24AM CDT
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

Wonderful! Thanks you for writing and thank God your internet was fixed!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 04:58AM CDT
Comment by Patty of Toms river, NJ

Thank you Patricia for reminding me that it just takes a change if mindset to change our mood and our day. We have more control over our day than we think. An attitude of gratitude is the bes!!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 05:05AM CDT
Comment by Matt

Patricia Marks, God Bless

Posted July 10, 2017 at 05:22AM CDT
Comment by Jay of Clearwater, FL

Pat,
After 14 hours on the road, it was Jesus who navigated me through Atlanta at 3 am in a rain storm wearing my prescription sun glasses since I lost my regular glasses a few days before returning to Florida. The 6-lane reflective lane markers looked like flying over Chicago at night from 30K feet. Talk about healing the blind, I knew who my navigator/co-pilot was. By grace, He told me not to do that again. I couldn't thank Him enough. So, I'll thank Him now and again forever. As an "old guy" it's good to have a care-giver like Him. Stand by me Lord.
Peace, Patience and Prudence to All,
O'Jay..... needs new glasses in Clearwater

Posted July 10, 2017 at 05:32AM CDT

Patricia...well said!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 05:36AM CDT

Thank you Patricia for the reminder. God's abundant Grace on you and yours.๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted July 10, 2017 at 06:48AM CDT

Patricia, a great explanation of what God says love is. God is Love for All!!!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 07:06AM CDT
Comment by Yvonne of Grand Prairie, TX

Hi Patricia, I don't normally read and respond to these blogs but today I read all of yours and I have to say it was perfect for me. Thank you for your wisdom and all the beautiful reminders you have put into this piece of writing. May God bless you and keep you all the rest of your days.

Posted July 10, 2017 at 07:20AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Patricia, thank you for these reminders. Today, for example, when traffic is bad...I'll pray instead.

Posted July 10, 2017 at 07:47AM CDT
Comment by Rudy of Chicago, IL

Thank you Patricia. Many times I have been stopped in traffic due to a slow moving freight train or construction. Now I will take that time to pray rather than fume!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 08:02AM CDT
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

[10] "Be still, and know that I am God.
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth!"
[11] The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge. [Selah]
Ps 46

Posted July 10, 2017 at 08:17AM CDT
Comment by JOhn of Albemarle, NC

This is my first time posting as I am requesting prayers for our beloved labradoodle Gracie. She was hit by a car on Saturday night and remains paralyzed awaiting an MRI to determine the extent of any spinal cord damage. I am a daily reader of the Upper Room and it is my daily devotional. Gracie is a special dog. She is a great Christian if there is such a thing. She is an extremely social dog and has never met a stranger. We have taken her to nursing homes and hospitals and she is always a hit bringing smiles and love to those in need. This little ministry of hers goes beyond hospitals as she brings many a bright spot and a deviation to everyone she comes into contact. Please pray for positive MRI and that she may walk again. She still has much work to do.
John - Maggie Valley, NC

Posted July 10, 2017 at 08:29AM CDT
Comment by Nicole

Good morning Patricia. You have reminded me of what is really important. And the "red lights" of life are minor indeed. Have a super day!

Posted July 10, 2017 at 08:36AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Patricia, your devotional and blog contained different but complimentary thoughts. I needed both today. Thank you. My wife and I had dinner last night with a couple facing serious health challenges, enduring for quite some time; one child beginning sophomore year in college, another senior in high school...what bravery and positive thinking they display, accepting and working through their challenges. May GOD Bless all today. Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted July 10, 2017 at 10:36AM CDT
Comment by Kathy

Patricia, you made me chuckle! It could have been me you were writing about - right down to my husband figuring out and fixing all the technical stuff. 1 Corinthians 13 is one of my favourite Bible passages. We had it at our wedding 43yrs ago and I recently read it at my friends' wedding. They had never heard it before and loved it! And when we gather out of love to help or to be happy I think: When two or three of you gather in my name, I am there with you." Bless you for sharing this devotion with us. ~ Kathy in Canada, Hamilton, Ontario

Posted July 10, 2017 at 08:17PM CDT