In Time

by Upper Room Editorial on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Worry makes us weary. It can wear us out and wear us down. It can convince us to quit. But God's strategy is that not only would we endure but also that we would reap abundance when the harvest is ready.

Galatians 6:9 in the ESV says, "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up" (emphasis added).

In due season. Harvest is not due every season. But sometimes we expect fruit when it's not time yet. When we don't get what we want we often believe we have failed. And if we deem the failure to be the result of something we did or something we didn’t do, we condemn ourselves.

We suppose that we've sinned, perhaps unwittingly. But in fact we may have done nothing wrong. Perhaps we did what we should have done. Maybe the season we're in is winter. During winter there are no blossoms, no leaves, no fruit. But winter is not a season of barrenness; it's a time of rest. A Sabbath.

Likewise, there are seasons when we expect fruit prematurely. But not all of us mature at the same rate. In fact, trees bear their fruit in due season—when it's their time, not before. Some of us are late bloomers. It takes more time for our lives to produce. Don't condemn what God has forgiven. And judge nothing before its time.

Too often we focus on the negative and overlook the positive—God's promise. The Bible promises that if we don't quit, if we don't give up, we will reap.

Be patient then. With yourself. With others. With God. The harvest is guaranteed. Keep doing what is good and doing it well.

- Jeff Adams

Comment by Kathy of Canal Winchester, OH

Awesome Jeff. Just what I needed this morning. Thank you.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 04:49AM CDT
Comment by Tom of Plano, IL

Profoundly put. Thanks for your words of encouragement and wisdom. Quite frequently, I will put myself down by thinking of the negative things that I do, might have done or what others might perceive as negative when I should be thinking of positive/ good things that I do. I am becoming strongly convinced that I should trust God more.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 05:16AM CDT
Comment by Jerry of Fishers, IN

Great message Jeff. This message hits home for me. God Bless You and have a good day.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 05:22AM CDT
Comment by Anna of Fairfield , OH

This is also what I needed this morning. Thank you for sharing

Posted June 14, 2017 at 05:25AM CDT

Jeff, I sometimes think God is so good to me right now it can't get better, but when I get to the place we call heaven I know it will be a glorious time. God is Love for All!!!

Posted June 14, 2017 at 05:26AM CDT
Comment by Victoria of Tobaccoville, NC

"Don't condemn what God has forgiven." A powerful reminder that I am forgiven! Thank you so much.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 06:12AM CDT
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

Thank you for your thoughts this morning, much needed.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 06:13AM CDT
Comment by Susan of Duncannon, PA

Powerful message!! Thank you for reminding us all how important it is to be positive and not fall into all the negative things/thoughts. Life is definitely changing of the seasons but God is good to all.
God Bless,
Susan

Posted June 14, 2017 at 06:46AM CDT
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

"Don't condemn what God has forgiven." "Be patient then........"

Many gems here today. Thank you and bless you always.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 06:54AM CDT
Comment by John of Littleton, MA

Hi Jeff;

Makes sense to me - very well said! Thanks for sharing this insight!

Posted June 14, 2017 at 07:29AM CDT
Comment by Yvonne of Grand Prairie, TX

That is one powerful piece of writing Jeff. It awakens the mind, and the soul. Thanks!

Posted June 14, 2017 at 07:37AM CDT
Comment by Tara of Birmingham, AL

Wonderful piece of writing. It can apply to my and many others' thinking as well. Thank you and may God continue to keep you.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 08:10AM CDT
Comment by Donnie of Royston, GA

Jeff, what wonderfully inspiring words. Your devotion has really registered with me. I tend to be very worrying, self-critical, and constantly guilt-ridden. I feel that your words point toward a better way, both in how I see myself and how I see others—and how I see God. Thank you, my friend.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 09:18AM CDT
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Phil 2:3-4

Posted June 14, 2017 at 09:48AM CDT
Comment by Richard

Many thanks Jeff, your devotional and "more" is what I needed today, well presented logic, makes sense. Thanks again, Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted June 14, 2017 at 03:54PM CDT
Comment by Jeff of Kingman, AZ

I'm grateful for all your comments here today. I'll read and reply and add more content later.

Yesterday my brother contacted me. We're on the road to see a heart specialist. Good news—to get the help he's needed for more than a year.

Please follow me on Facebook. Click on https://www.facebook.com/jeff.adams.9026 and click LIKE and SHARE. Please invite your friends to do the same.

Today's meditation slang from personal experience. The larger story illustrates some of the truths found in one of the chapters of a forthcoming book. By following me and seeing my posts in Facebook you'll be among the first to know release dates for that and other books that will be available this summer and into next year. If you like what I rote here for The Upper Room, you won't want to miss these books and my blog that will launch later this year.

I am also overwhelmed by the responses to today's meditation. I plan to read comments and reply but I may not get to do so with each person. The number of comments is greater than I expected. More importantly, these comments are simple thank you notes. They are transparent views of personal experiences. Today's message resonates deeply with a broad spectrum of people across a variety of demographics. That tells me—and all of us—we are not alone.

My prayer is that each of will give freely what we have freely received—mercy and grace and our Father's lavish love. I pray also that those who find comfort will comfort others in time with that same comfort.

If you have not read and commented on my blog post today, please do so. I'll check in later today and this evening.

Posted June 14, 2017 at 04:06PM CDT
Comment by Jeff of Kingman, AZ

My prayer for each of you is that you learn to follow God's lead and enjoy this dance we call life. "'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly'" (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message).

Posted June 15, 2017 at 12:37AM CDT