More from Walter Maris

by Upper Room Editorial on Thursday, March 09, 2017

This meditation for March 2017 was not on my mind to write for a long time, and that is true for most of my writing. If I see, hear, or become involved in something that I think would be inspirational to others then I try to write something with supporting scriptures that will give a kick-start to a person who wants to live for the Lord.

My inspiration this time was talking to my brother who lives in the mountains about 40 miles southwest of Denver, and he was quite excited about taking a friend’s wife to the hospital to pick up her husband. My brother and his wife had received a late afternoon call from the wife about a week previously. She was very upset because of some of the issues her husband was experiencing after he had suffered a bad fall and hit his head. My brother stopped what he was doing and took her husband to the hospital where he had surgery the next day. Now that the husband was in good enough shape to return home, the friends again called my brother for help. The fact that he was excited to be in service considering his age blessed my heart. My brother didn’t think his effort was worthy of being part of a meditation, but having told me earlier that seniors have to deal with limiting ability he lost that argument.

Is not the scripture 1 Peter 4:10--" And serve each other according to the gift each person has received, as good managers of God’s diverse gifts"--more than a suggestion?

- Walter Maris

Comment by Sara

I really enjoyed your devotional and this "explanation". Thank you, Walter, for this wonderful reminder; and thank Lewis for inspiring it!

Posted March 09, 2017 at 03:57AM CST
Comment by Dee of Murrells Inlet, SC

As my husband and I both struggle with the "aging process", this devotional was extremely timely. It is good to be reminded that no matter our age or limitations, there is something we can do for others, all to bring glory to God!!

Posted March 09, 2017 at 05:16AM CST

Walter, I am continuing to tell people they have skills that can be used even if they are homebound, the phone a friend is always available. God is Love for All!!!

Posted March 09, 2017 at 05:50AM CST
Comment by Heidi of Woodstock, IL

So very fitting today, as my husband is recovering in the hospital, a therapy dog came to see him. Great way to cheer people up.

Posted March 09, 2017 at 07:06AM CST
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Thank you for your devotional. I will remember the phrase "agent of grace." God bless.

Posted March 09, 2017 at 07:20AM CST

Thank you Walter, from today I am going to do more serving in my church.😇😊

Posted March 09, 2017 at 07:24AM CST
Comment by KAREN of SAVANNAH, MO

As Walter's wife, I can honestly say to anyone reading his devotion today that he lives and loves serving others. It meant a great deal for Walt to share this message about his brother and his heart for service as well. Thank you to each "blog responder", we are both happy you've been blessed and encouraged by Walter's devotion and inspiring scripture! God bless you!

Posted March 09, 2017 at 09:01AM CST
Comment by Mary of Albuquerque, NM

It just goes to show ya the truth of what Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over 'til it's over!"

Posted March 09, 2017 at 08:48PM CST
Comment by Jeanie of Columbus, GA

I was feeling down tonight after hearing bad health news of a friend this week. This helped me realize that God still uses us even in our old age.

Posted March 09, 2017 at 09:43PM CST
Comment by Rev.Rajn of trivandrum, KY

Thank you so much for thought provoking meditation. I too live with and run an old age home in India, I do understand the feelings, I will pray for you. If u can pray for the unwnated older people with me and know more about my mission to the destitute and orphans please mail me to
agapelove_love@yahoo.com

Posted March 10, 2017 at 11:23PM CST
Comment by Judith of Clive, IA

As a long time subscriber of the Upper Room, I smile when the daily devotion is written by Walter Maris - my brother. Walter is a steadfast Christian who walks with the Lord every day and has always has always lent a helpful hand to however might need some help. Walter, I am so proud of you.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 09:34AM CST