More from Alina Kanaski

by Upper Room Editorial on Wednesday, February 15, 2017

It’s amazing how often the little things are the ones that remind me of God: a sunset, a flower growing in a sidewalk crack, a smile, a bumble bee flying around at night. God is so unimaginably huge, it can be hard to imagine glimpsing God in a few words in a book or in the unexpected gift of chocolate just when it’s needed.

And it’s so easy to forget to look.

I saw the bumble bee that I mention in today's meditation while on a mission trip; I was staying at a campground with about 10 other people, and we were there to get to know people and talk about God with them. We were doing devotions together every day. We were on the lookout for God, and I saw God all over: in the view of the mountains that surrounded the campground, in the face of the woman who lent me a bathing suit, in my alone time every day, in walks, in playing basketball and volleyball with strangers. In bumble bees, flowers, stones, and falling while riding a bike for the first time in years. It was easy to remember to look; I knew why I was there--I was living with people who loved God too and we spent time talking about it every day.

Everyday life isn’t like that. It’s not new and shiny; it’s not daily group devotions and spending all day thinking about and talking about God, not for most of us. Not for me.

It’s going to work and coming home; it’s doing the dishes and doing laundry and getting gas; it’s squeezing in the things you love if you’re lucky and not looking around because there’s too much to do. It’s routine, day after day after day; it’s ordinary and exhausting and repetitive.

And it’s so easy to forget to look for God.

But God is in your everyday, just as much as God is there when you’re on a mission trip or vacation or mountaintop experience. The glimpses are there to see. We just have to look.

- Alina Kanaski

Check out Alina's blog: http://alinawrites.wordpress.com.

Alina, you are so spot on is you seeing God in everything all around us. I am sure He is there to guide, comfort and care for me as only a loving parent can. God is Love for All!!!

Posted February 14, 2017 at 07:19PM CST

So true Alina, thank you for reminding me to look.

Posted February 15, 2017 at 04:08AM CST
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

Thanks for the blessing today. Absolutely true. Blessings in Jesus name to all.

Posted February 15, 2017 at 04:31AM CST
Comment by Jay of Clearwater, FL

Alina "delight",

I can feel your glow here in Florida. Keep the "buzz" alive. You are "radiant"! I love you, do you mind ?
Inspired,
O'Jay......flickering in Florida

Posted February 15, 2017 at 05:01AM CST
Comment by Hannah

Alina, thank you for reminding me to slow down and look for God's many blessings - even in the sidewalk cracks.

Posted February 15, 2017 at 05:51AM CST

Alina, I find so many glimpses of God in the small things and I am comforted. Love to you, sister!

Posted February 15, 2017 at 05:57AM CST
Comment by Howard of Auburn, AL

Alina thank you for your devotional today, I read all your devotionals in the Disciplines 2017 and each one was a blessing and filled with words of encouragement to seek God's will. I pray for you to find the place He wants you to be, doing the work He has planned for you. God Bless You!

Posted February 15, 2017 at 08:33AM CST
Comment by Janelle of Flandreau, SD

Alina, thank you for your devotion that reminds me to seek out God's grace and appreciate his creation around me. Awesome. I checked out your writing blog. Also inspiring because I want to write too but never find the time. Do you write on paper, laptop, smart phone or tablet? Or do you record thoughts and then type them in a doc later? Just wondering. I like your suggestions of not stressing about making it 60 min of writing, but emphasizing on making it a daily habit. May God bless your efforts in writing.

Posted February 15, 2017 at 10:07AM CST
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

Ps 8
[3] When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
the moon and the stars which thou hast established;
[4] what is man that thou art mindful of him,
and the son of man that thou dost care for him?

Posted February 15, 2017 at 01:11PM CST