More from LaTonika Blackmon

by Upper Room Editorial on Monday, February 06, 2017

The bouncing baby boy, Adam, that I wrote about in my devotional is now walking, saying full sentences, and rapidly becoming a sports fan (thanks to his daddy).

We’ve had our struggles as new parents. The first year of his life, Adam was in and out of the hospital due to cow milk allergies, asthma, and dangerously high fevers that would almost place him in a lethargic state. During that time, my husband and I had to rely on each other, but more importantly, we had to rely on God to give us strength to make the best decision about how to care for our son.

Fear and doubt constantly clouded our minds, but even though those things sometimes got the best of us, we started to notice that nothing stopped Adam. He has always been such a strong little boy. Our family has nicknamed him Samson because of his strength and the long hair he had as a baby. Adam was determined to overcome anything that stood in his way--fevers, asthma attacks, and allergic reactions. When he learned how to walk, he would outrun his playmates; when he learned to throw a ball, he was determined to throw the furthest. When I was concerned that he was playing too hard, he would insist on playing even harder. What looked like obstacles for mommy and daddy were nothing for Adam because there was never a doubt in his mind that he could do what everyone else did.

Fear and doubt still creep in my mind, and as a mother I will always worry. But we’ve stopped placing limits on Adam, because we know that with Christ there is nothing Adam can’t overcome.

- LaTonika Blackmon

What a lovely picture LaTonika, and a lovely name you have. You are right, as a mother you are never done worrying about your children, mine is 22 and I still worry, but I realise that soon as the worries present themselves, I pray and release him totally to God and then I calm down. Remain blessed.😇🌼🌸😊

Posted February 05, 2017 at 07:07PM CST

A lovely boy. May you have many happy years together.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted February 06, 2017 at 12:33AM CST
Comment by Jerry of Hughesville, PA

Such a nice picture.mthanks for writing LaTonika and thanks tomAdam for show adults that all things are possible thru Christ who strengthens us. Blessings.

Posted February 06, 2017 at 04:29AM CST
Comment by D

What a wonderful devotional and message (and picture). Thank you! God's blessings for you and your family.

Posted February 06, 2017 at 06:21AM CST
Comment by David of Oklahoma , OK

Good morning Upper Room Family. God Bless YOU and your family Latonika. Your son is very handsome and he will be All The Lord Jesus created him to be.

Posted February 06, 2017 at 06:43AM CST
Comment by Karen of Jackson, MS

LaTonika everything you said is so true. Been there done that. I have one son he to was our Sampson! No matter how sick he was when he was little it affected me and his dad more than it did him. You and your husband are doing the right thing. Stay "prayed up". I was in the church at your age, but I was not"in " the church or God, nor was my husband. Our marriage failed, things happened. My son got caught in the disaster and stayed with his dad. Only for a short time, but long enough for him to develop into someone I don't even know. I know God had you and your family in his hands. Keep your family surrounded by him, and he will see you through. Be Blessed!

Posted February 06, 2017 at 06:59AM CST
Comment by Joyce of Fayetteville, NC

Beautiful story and illustration of God's loving care. "Samson" is so handsome! May God's blessings continue to abundantly flow your lives.

Posted February 06, 2017 at 08:08AM CST
Comment by Rich of Silver Spring, MD

We all must pray that the the climate and air and water that must sustain Adam for a lifetime will be preserved. In addition to prayer, we must join other Christians to work to that end. See https://sojo.net/

Posted February 06, 2017 at 08:17AM CST
Comment by Sandra of Bennettsville, SC

This is a beautiful testimony! It does my heart good to see young people give God glory for the things HE does. May you and your family continue to be richly blessed.

Posted February 06, 2017 at 09:12AM CST