Light As We Go

by Upper Room Editorial on Friday, January 06, 2017

Now that I’m past the Biblical "three-score-and-ten," I have begun writing devotionals for those of us in our 70s, 80s, and 90s. Feel free to enjoy the following meditation!

Of all the aisles in the grocery, I like the frozen food aisle best. I walk through it every week, even when there are no frozen items on my grocery list. Why? For the joy of "enlightenment." Here’s how it works:

Start when the aisle is empty of other shoppers. The motion-sensitive lights in the freezer cases will be dark. As you begin moving, light dawns step by step.

As you near the pizza section, the case lights up. Approach the frozen vegetables, and brightness bursts upon you. Get close to “Dinners and Entrées,” and they are illuminated. At the end of the aisle, look back with a smile. Your entire path has been bathed in light—just when you needed it!

Each time I enjoy this experience, two verses pop into my mind: "Light is shed upon the righteous..." (Ps. 97:11, NIV) and "The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day" (Prov. 4:18, NIV).

I used to think the light of God’s guidance was mostly for the young. After all, they are the ones who need wisdom for choosing careers and spouses. But now I know better. Guidance is a lifelong necessity, especially for the journey through old age.

We need enlightenment for when to retire, how much to downsize, which medical procedures to undergo, how to navigate bereavement, how to stretch our finances, how to serve the Lord as strength declines. It’s all new territory. After all, we’ve never been old before!

I take comfort in the happy experience of two old men needing guidance recorded in Genesis 24. Aged Abraham calls his oldest servant and gives him the solemn task of finding a wife for Isaac. Uncertainty abounds in this assignment. But Abraham assures his servant that God “will send his angel ahead of you” to light the way (Gen. 24:7).

So the aging servant sets off in faith, bringing gifts for the unknown bride-to-be. He saturates his journey with prayers for guidance. The Lord lights his path step by step. Whenever the servant recognizes God’s help, he pauses to praise God. He gives witness to the joyful experience of finding light as we go: “As for me, being on the way, the LORD led me” (Gen. 24:27, NKJV).

The is true for us. The Lord illumines our path step by step as we walk prayerfully down the aisle of our later years. At the end of our days, we can look back with a grateful smile. Our entire path has been bathed in light—just when we needed it!

- Marion Speicher Brown

Comment by Mimi of Anaheim, CA

Enjoyed this so much. I would like to read more of your devotionals for those 70 and above! Do you have away for us to access?

Posted January 06, 2017 at 03:50AM CST
Comment by Joanne of Bowie, MD

When I go to the grocery store I will walk down the frozen food section and think of this. Thank you.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 03:52AM CST
Comment by Jay of Clearwater, FL

Well spoken/writen Marion,
I'm just an old guy who identifies with "the Light."
Your Light has that GLOW (Glorify, Love, Obey and Worship) add Praise and Honor to the list.
Thanks for your inspiring message. I'm telling Jesus on you !
Shalom,
Ole Jay, String Cross Necklace Maker

Posted January 06, 2017 at 04:01AM CST

Marion thank you for the message and "more" and Jay for the acronym for GLOW~~~

Posted January 06, 2017 at 04:57AM CST
Comment by Ozzie of Point Pleasant, WV

Thank you for sharing with us. Knowing that there is someone enjoying life in late years and writing good solid devotionals about that life is rewarding in itself indeed. God Bless you with many more years and many more blessings here on earth while awaiting your passage to paradise.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 05:00AM CST

Thank you Marion.
Georgine, Arqua Petrarca, Italy

Posted January 06, 2017 at 05:20AM CST
Comment by Donna of Selma, NC

Thank you, Marion. @Mimi, I found devotionals by her at http://claremorefumc.org/devotionals/#

Posted January 06, 2017 at 05:58AM CST
Comment by Judy of Hershey, PA

You give us two wonderful meditations today and I thank you. I'm going to copy this one for use at some unknown time and place in the future, maybe in ministering to older people like myself. Please keep writing and sharing with others -- you've been given a gift. God bless you.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 06:19AM CST
Comment by Elizabeth of Westfield, MA

Marion: how timely your mediation is to me this day, as I am feeling out of sorts as an aging person and with my own personal challenges. You are so right! We/I have never been old before. I love your illustration of walking down the frozen food aisle, and I shall try it. May we all learn to be the light of Christ in these dark times. Thank you for the encouragement.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 06:23AM CST

Thank you Marion, this very interesting reading, next time I go to the supermarket I think about it and check it out. Jay, I love the acronym GLOW am pondering on it thank you. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted January 06, 2017 at 06:45AM CST
Comment by joanmarie of jamison, PA

Wow this was absolutely enlightening! You have made my day Marion and I am so grateful just like the many other readers. I am enjoying the GLOW too! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜‡

Posted January 06, 2017 at 06:59AM CST
Comment by George of Staten Island, NY

What a great analogy - comparing the frozen food aisle to our journey with God. Thanks for sharing your faith walk with me and others. God bless.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 07:17AM CST
Comment by Carolyn of Austin, TX

Beautifully written. Figuratively, we walk down the frozen food aisle minute by minute as long as we walk in the light of God. I will keep this message close to my heart.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 07:29AM CST
Comment by Natine of Titusville, FL

I got a new perspective on the changing of the wine from your devotion, and your tale about the freezer aisle is a lovely example of seeing God's love in the ordinary things that surround us. I will never see the grocery store in the same way again! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :-)

Posted January 06, 2017 at 07:42AM CST
Comment by Dorann of Sugar Land, TX

Beautiful analogies for life with the Lord. I agree with Judy. Thank you for these inspiring words.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 07:47AM CST

I never thought of the frozen food Isle like that before. Awesome.

Posted January 06, 2017 at 08:11AM CST
Comment by Richard

Thank you Marion, Richard, Marietta, GA

Posted January 06, 2017 at 11:48AM CST
Comment by panzarona of jamaica, NY

MARION , what a Beautiful analogy ! I Will never look at the Frozen Food aisle the same . THANK YOU !

Posted January 06, 2017 at 12:21PM CST
Comment by Marion

Thank you each one for your comments and thoughts. Mimi, I don't have a blog yet, but my daughter keeps telling me to start one. Maybe it will be up and running by the time I get another meditation published at UR! Blessings. Off to the frozen food aisle at Publix to get some veggies...

Posted January 07, 2017 at 10:26AM CST